BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 5:23:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just wait until you refi your house or get a new mortgage.

Tell me more....are these now taxable events and how do you pay?

Yes, this has my attention.

Same here. I just got ours done last month....Thank goodness.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
To reiterate - the medical excise tax total - $11.97 - is 2.3% of the entire receipt - $520.82. That means EVERY item purchased at Cabelas today fell under the tax.

Good!

I hope he Cloward-Piven's the fuck out of this country until it all collapses into one big mass of rioting FSA idiots blaming the Republicans for not raping the rich enough.

Bring it all down man.

Long Live The Magic Negro !

I, for one, salute our new FSA overlords!

Just to clarify...does FSA stand for "FREE SH!T AMERICANS"?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
To reiterate - the medical excise tax total - $11.97 - is 2.3% of the entire receipt - $520.82. That means EVERY item purchased at Cabelas today fell under the tax.

Good!

I hope he Cloward-Piven's the fuck out of this country until it all collapses into one big mass of rioting FSA idiots blaming the Republicans for not raping the rich enough.

Bring it all down man.

Long Live The Magic Negro !

I, for one, salute our new FSA overlords!

Just to clarify...does FSA stand for "FREE SH!T AMERICANS"?

BigDozer66

Free Shit Americans... Free Shit Army... it all works
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#4]
No I think Cabela's is collecting a tax it does not need to once again screwing their customers.  You think all those EBR's they pulled were returned for credit or scalped to wholesalers?  Cabela's loves screwing people. I just did a dummy order on Cabelas.com and they did not charge the tax on a Lyman sonic brass cleaner.  So rather than start a long thread why not call the store manager?

Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think some of you are understanding that this is a gov't imposed tax, not a Cabela's tax.  

Medical Device Excise Tax (Obamacare)

I understand it is not Cabelas.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I applaud their creative method of recovering that money.  I'd like to see EVERYONE do the same.  Eventually, people will wake up and realize that the consumer is ultimately going to pay for Obama Care...not the "wealthy".
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#6]
This excise tax is revenue based!!??

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Free  health care for everyone.

How else do you expect free health care if we don't tax someone for it?

We are in for a wild ride fella's.

Gas pedals stuck and the brakes just went out, see you at the bottom.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
So how does the ultrasonic cleaner work on cases?
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So my wife went shopping for me today at the local Cabelas.  I'm on 12s forever and can't get there.  We had an employee pricing coupon and had a short list of non firearm things we wanted.

Short list:

3 pair of hiker socks
2 safe door pocket organizers
1 pair female boots
1 female jacket
1 female workout pant
1 Lyman sonic brass cleaner

Now for the WTF part

There's an $11.97 mecical excise tax on something or everything in that list.

Is this Obamacare shit??????  What on that list is a "medical device"????

Your wife bought all these items for you?  You should get in on the cheap ammo thread!
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of this phrase.

Quoted:
I'm on 12s forever and can't get there.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxz7mgXVIL1qgvt2zo1_500.jpg

The gentleman in question is gainfully employed and works long hours thus he is unable to attend shopping expeditions with his spouse.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So how does the ultrasonic cleaner work on cases?

I'll give it a go when I get a chance.  Looks like I have to take a four day weekend.  We have federally mandated workhour limits and I'm about to exceed the limit, so I get two days off paid + the weekend.  Only time in my life where I think the gov't got something right.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#12]
It is a systemic mistake on Cabela's part.

A "medical device" subject to the 2.3% tax has to be a device that is registered with the FDA through 510k or PMA submission.  510k and PMA are sort of a pre market regulatory approval (510k=Class I and II deivces PMA=Class III devices) granted by the FDA to allow a med device company to sell their product on the market in the US.  None of the items listed on the OP's receipt are considered medical device's as per the FDA and are not registered as medical devices.

***Source-I work for a contract medical device manufacturer and spent a large portion of Dec 2012 registering and listing all devices that we make on the FDA's website.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This excise tax is revenue based!!??

That's what we've been screaming for 2 years but no one seemed to understand this distinction between top and bottom line taxation.  That 2.3% TOP line tax equates to 20%-40% bottom line taxation depending on the device.

In the end, consumers will pay more.  Jobs have been eliminated and outsourced for the past year in response to this tax.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Free  health care for everyone.

How else do you expect free health care if we don't tax someone for it?

We are in for a wild ride fella's.

Gas pedals stuck and the brakes just went out, see you at the bottom.

And the stupid fucking law doesn't actually provide healthcare, it just funds government agencies to make sure employers and individuals are maintaing a healthcare policy and fines them if they don't.

Unless I am wrong, nobody really gets "free healthcare" from the government under this whole cluster fuck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#16]
More profits for the government. Isn't that what always happen when someone asks the government to do something?

With so much of the populations popping pills, making their organs fail even faster, they knew soon they'll be turning a profit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The receipt total was $520.82.  2.3% of that is ................................. drum roll please ........................................... $11.97.
Link

The $20B tax was included in the Affordable Care Act that was signed into law in 2010. The amount is based on a 2.3% excise tax that will be levied on the total revenues of a company, regardless of whether a company generates a profit, starting in 2013. Many companies will owe more in taxes than they generate from their operations.

tax on revenue? never heard of this in the world, company with thin profit margin less than 2.3% will be wiped out? this is BS

NH has had one of these for a while.

The intent was to nail professional corps. that were paying high salaries to officers to minimize business profits and thus business profit tax.

But it became a business sales tax in effect.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#18]
What else doesn't make sense, items under $100 are supposed to be exempt.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Good example of how all new taxes are passed on to the consumers. Customers pay all business taxes through purchases. Unless you don't shop there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#20]
"We have to raise our prices in order to comply with  and pay for Obamacare mandates."

"Won't that make are customers unhappy with us?"

"Yes, but they should be unhappy with Obama and the rest of his cronies not us."

"Hmm.  Let's raise prices on everything 2.3%, but not add it to the price of the items we sell.  We'll add it as a line item on each receipt so everyone will understand why we did it and who's to blame."

"Good idea, Johnson.  Let's go with that."
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wonder if it's not the sonic brass cleaner, as it could be considered an ultrasound device.

LOL

Ultrasonic ≠ Ultrasound
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just bought ammo and miscellaneous stuff at Cabelas this past Thursday. No extra tax was liste on either receipt.

Pre Jan 1?
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if it's not the sonic brass cleaner, as it could be considered an ultrasound device.

LOL

Ultrasonic ≠ Ultrasound

But to the guy in India inputing the code, it is the same.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Edited title to reflect the likelihood that Cabelas is wrong in assessing this tax.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#26]
You and I have just been handed a tax that attributed to adding more free shit to the Free Shit Army.

THIS is what this country voted for.

Just wait until you sell your house, or transfer or cash in investment funds, etc.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm really anxious to find out what anyone's Cabela's has to say about this.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit...thankfully I just closed on what I expect to be my last refi/mortgage for a looong time a few days before 2013.

What am I in store for?
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit...thankfully I just closed on what I expect to be my last refi/mortgage for a looong time a few days before 2013.

What am I in store for?
3% of the purchase price goes to your neighborhood Obama phone user.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Dafuq... link?
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#31]
You say your wife went shopping for YOU.

Please splain

1 pair female boots
1 female jacket
1 female workout pant
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You say your wife went shopping for YOU.

Please splain

1 pair female boots
1 female jacket
1 female workout pant

After 25 years+, I've learned if she's happy, everybody's happy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What am I in store for?

I thought primary residences were exempted, and then only 3% of profit, not purchase price.

Further googling research indicates:
...3.8% tax on the capital gains (unearned income) on real estate transactions over the existing $500,000 exemption for married couples ($250,000 for singles). Couples have to make more than $250,000 in adjusted gross income for the tax to apply to them (singles more than $200,000). And it isn't very common these days to find married couples in most parts of the nation making more than $250,000 a year, who then also made more than $500,000 in profits on their house sale. ...

Not that sale of real estate should be subject to a federal tax for medical care, but it doesn't appear to affect me this year.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#34]
It appears that you made it into snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/medicaldevice.asp
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I purchased a few items the other day at Cabelas, and no tax was added.  Of course Montana does not have sales tax either, but nothing like the OP had was on my receipt.

Items were purchased on 01/01/2013.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#36]
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD FUCK FUCK OH MY GOD EVERYBODY FREAK OUT

Jesus people. You are your own worst enemies.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#37]
i would like to burn the fuckheads that made up this fucking bullshit tax
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I want to see the receipt. No way can this be applied to any of these items.

been to the dundee cabelas twice since the new year and both receipts gave the medical excise tax line that equals 2.3% of the total purchase price.
hope everyone lists this on their  receipts.

J-

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

EDIT: Just called the Dundee cabelas, spoke with customer service, was told it was a computer mistake. they took some info off of my receipt and my CC card number and said the amount will be credited back to my account ASAP.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#40]
will try to buy everything medical device wise from Canada or Mexico, Obama can shove the 2.3% up his fucking ass
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Picked up by Snoops, including the receipt image.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Just an honest mistake. That made a really good point.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yup, got hit with the "medical excise tax" at Cabela's today.  Cashier told me Obummercare in action.  Interesting to see how this pans out...I agree it would be good to show the knee jerks where Obama's gonna get the money to pay for all their entitlements.

you need to go up to that cabelas and get your money back. I just got back from the Allen Cabelas getting $25.97 refunded to me on the Medical Excise Tax i was charged yesterday on my Sig Scorpion, ammo, magazine purchase. The cashier i talked to said it was a computer glitch. They owe the money back to you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#44]
was just at the Cabelas in hamburg pa. No extra tax there
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just an honest mistake. That made a really good point.

ETA:  Fuck Snopes and their liberal agenda.

ETA:  The link says that the receipt originates in TX.  Wrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of this phrase.

Quoted:
I'm on 12s forever and can't get there.

12 hour shifts...
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
everything that you buy will have to go up about 12 percent to pay for obamacare

Yay!  FREE HEALTHCARE!
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Email to Snopes:

Excise tax on Cabelas purchase.

While you are correct that Cabelas isn't supposed to be charging the excise tax, they, in fact, are charging the tax.  Most aware customers are demanding, and getting a refund of the tax.

The second receipt is not from Texas.  How do I know?  It's my receipt and I don't live in Texas.

You should better validate your info before posting it online.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I experienced the same thing at a Cabela's store in Allen, Texas on 1-1-2013.  After getting home, doing some research, and concluding that Cabela's made an error, I contacted the store and they refunded the Medical Excise Tax that was charged.

Please contact your Cabela's store manager and ask for a refund of the Medical Excise Tax charged.  They will refund it.

Be sure and check all of your receipts at other stores to make sure that you are not taxed for this provision unless you are buying a qualifying medical device!
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 4:12:10 AM EDT
[#50]
No, I agree with some guys...its not a tax...its the ultimate butt screw with a big smile by tyrants upon the people...its for our own good they say...and as Barry clearly worded it...its redistribution of wealth...someone has to help the Muslim Brotherhood, Planned Parenthood...and as our parents and grand parents used to tell us as kids..."there are starving people in China!"
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top