Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/1/2013 3:54:32 PM EDT
Surfing channels today I paused on the Rose Bowl Parade - they were focusing on the modern day "Buffalo Soldier" parade group.

Everything was cool until the parade announcer stated that "the name buffalo soldier came from American Indians who said that the soldiers" fought ferociously like buffalo". This same explanation appeared on-screen in a text box.

Sorry, but I was taught in school that the American Indians referred to the black troopers as "buffalo soldiers" due to the fact that their hair reminded them of the buffalo's hair.

Yet another example of the re-writing of American History  
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
a free press
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]
gotta give props to the ninja buff!
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm 32 and heard and read both all my life.

Could it be a little of both reasons ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Imus started that nickname.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

From what I've heard, buffalo weren't exactly fierce - hunters would shoot hundreds out of a single herd from one shooting position

About as fierce as shooting beef cattle in a herd
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I may be wrong, but from what I had heard it was both a reference to their hair and meant to be derogatory.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's because you're 32.  If you were fifty, wouldn't have started seeing that "fighting buffalo" bullshit until you were about twenty-five.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I've heard, buffalo weren't exactly fierce - hunters would shoot hundreds out of a single herd from one shooting position

About as fierce as shooting beef cattle in a herd

I can tell you first hand shooting buffalo is like shooting Bessie the cow. saddest fucking thing you've ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#9]
American bison fight fiercely?
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because you're 32.  If you were fifty, would wouldn't have started seeing that "fighting buffalo" bullshit until you were about twenty-five.

agreed.
I'm 48, and history was a favorite subject.
The name "Buffalo soldiers" was always about appearances. I've never even heard the "fought fiercely" BS.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Very militant.....and fierce
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I may be wrong, but from what I had heard it was both a reference to their hair and meant to be derogatory.

That's been my understanding for the past 60 years.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Dang injuns were racist.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dang injuns were racist.

But it's ok  now to have a football team called The Redskins.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I always thought they stole Buffalo Soldiers from that song...
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Both explanations (the derogatory one and the "they fight hard" one, and a combination of the two) have appeared in historical sources.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Both explanations (the derogatory one and the "they fight hard" one, and a combination of the two) have appeared in historical sources.

Date of "they fight hard" reference source? (2008? )
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang injuns were racist.

But it's ok  now to have a football team called The Redskins.

payback, bitch! (wash, dc being 99% buffalo headed.)
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Date of "they fight hard" reference source? (2008? )

Elizabeth Warren may be the source?

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, they were stolen from Africa and brought to America to win the war for for America. That hair is called dreadlock rasta, and if you knew your history you wouldn't ask me
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, they were stolen from Africa and brought to America to win the war for for America. That hair is called dreadlock rasta, and if you knew your history you wouldn't ask me

Really?

I think you are the one that needs a history lesson ..............
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because you're 32. If you were fifty, would wouldn't have started seeing that "fighting buffalo" bullshit until you were about twenty-five.

Ayup.  The Long March through the Institutions is almost complete.  When my generation (and I'm 50) goes, it'll be all "fighting buffalo bullshit".

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Me thinks you need one of these...

Monk
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Members of one victim group using raci$$ terms about members of another victim group! Imagine all of the liberal cranial explosions!
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Woy yoy yoy, woy yoy-yoy yoy, Woy yoy yoy yoy, yoy yoy-yoy yoy! Woy yoy yoy, woy yoy-yoy yoy, Woy yoy yoy yoy, yoy yoy-yoy yoy
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because you're 32.  If you were fifty, wouldn't have started seeing that "fighting buffalo" bullshit until you were about twenty-five.

Bingo! I can attest to that.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I never heard about fighting buffalo until now. I learned it was because of the hair.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Did you just ask me who da hell do I tink I am?
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I've never heard either explanation. I juswt thought it sounded weird that buffalo were fierce.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It is the hair. I live next to Fort Huachuca and they only talk about the hair at the museum on the post.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

PC/liberal new speak?

Been around them for a number of years, and the only thing I've ever seen one fight was
another bull, who he thought was trying to muscle in on his womenz, and one that escaped
the corral out at Ft. Riley.

He fought a Toyota, which lost badly!
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#34]
the people in my tribe called them something entirely different
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The Comanches had a low opinion of blacks. It was derogatory.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Why so seerious?
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#38]
It came from their hair.

So what. One of the biggest crocks of shit I have seen in my lifetime is the inability to face the truth.

Now what the fuck is so godawful about the FACT that the Indians named the colored regiment the 'Buffalo Soldiers' because of their hair?

Nothing.

And while we're at it, their regimental colors said 'U.S. Colored Troops' on it.

So what.

If you're afraid to learn from history you'll repeat it.

Tell it like it is.

Incidentally, the Buffalo Soldiers fought well alongside me at Kettle Hill. Them guys can drink out of my canteen anytime.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Well fucking enlighten us.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#40]
There's no record of the Germans calling Jarines "Teufel Hunden," either, and they had red stripes on their uniforms even prior to Chapultepec.

Correcting military history "buffs" on their history generally only leads to irrational hostility.  At the same time, it shows how all apocryphal stories like that are probably all full of shit.  The name could have come from white soldiers for all we know, or one of the soldiers themselves.

"Ferocious buffalo" is pretty funny, though.  I'm picturing that "guy on a buffalo" clip now with the cougar fight.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well fucking enlighten us.

Let's not and say we did.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#42]
"The black white men. Not as ugly as the white man, but just as stupid."
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Sorry Bud, that's how I heard it.

Edit: Just saw you got up to date on your Bob M.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"The black white men. Not as ugly as the white man, but just as stupid."

grandfather lodgeskins

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Members of one victim group using raci$$ terms about members of another victim group! Imagine all of the liberal cranial explosions!

Thus the "fierce buffalo" bullshit.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nope.

I fucking HATE revisionist history.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top