Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2012 8:32:48 AM EDT
I'm having a problem with a few of my Comcast digital cable HD channels.  Sometimes I lose audio, sometimes I get freezing and/or pixelation, and sometimes the channel goes completely out with an error that says something like "this channel is currently unavailable."

This is only happening on 3 or 4 channels that I'm aware of.  Often, switching channels away from and back to the channel in question clears up the pixelation and audio.  Other channels are crystal clear without any audio or video problems.

I unplugged my box, and it cleared it up for a while but it came back.  I also replaced the box a few months ago when this happened.  It kept happening with the new box, and then cleared up on it's own a few days later before the cable company had a chance to send someone out.

My question is, how can a cabling issue affect some channels but not others?  To me, the 1s and 0s either work over the cabling or they don't.  Why would some channels be fine, but others not work?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#1]
They are switch digital channels and you do not notice the other channels being out maybe?  

Cable boxes have to be in constant two way operation in order to get all broadcast channels  now.   If there is a cabling problem, or a system issue you will have missing channels intermittently.

Edit:  wiki sdv
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#2]
because the box is hosed.  either on your end or theirs
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
In the world of digital cable the problem is wiring or the box in your house unless you can prove otherwise.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#4]
ingress on certain frequencies. There can be problems with one freq that can affect multiple channels. It can be from water or loose connections. Someone with a signal meter should be able to find the problem.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#5]
How long is the run and how many cable boxes do you have?  You might need an amp.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Each portion of the bandwidth devoted to "channels" can be impacted differently by broadcast or other interference outside your home.  A little bit of a cabling issue may not cause enough bandwidth restriction (dropping 1 and 0s but not fast enough to defeat the buffer) on all channels that channels already impacted before coming in to your home are finally put over the edge and have issues.

So cabling inside the house is first thing if box reboots have not worked and box is working fine on other channels.

One final thing, sometimes amps throughout your house (upping signal) may not be sufficiently boosting certain frequencies.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#7]
You might be on older cable and getting a weak signal.  The cable company can come out and install a signal amplifier or you can do it yourself.  Until they upgrade the cable in the street.  That's what happened at my parents house. They had the same issues.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ingress on certain frequencies. There can be problems with one freq that can affect multiple channels. It can be from water or loose connections. Someone with a signal meter should be able to find the problem.

OK, so the incoming channels are frequency division multiplexed, so the cabling problem can be impacting only those frequencies?

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I hate to be "that guy" but Comcast sucks major camel implement, on all their divisions, minus their phone.

If I were you I'd switch to another option.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, so the incoming channels are frequency division multiplexed, so the cabling problem can be impacting only those frequencies?

You probably have around 6 channels per QAM.  You just do not notice the other channels.   Even a loose connection can cause that issue.   Check the one behind the box and at the wallplate.  If everything is good there you need to have a tech  come out.  It could be cracked hardline, bad connector, or  it could be a hub or headend issue.   A tech will have to tell you.

Edit:  80% of issues are related to the drop system across most telecom companies.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I hate to be "that guy" but Comcast sucks major camel implement, on all their divisions, minus their phone.

If I were you I'd switch to another option.

I've had Comcast cable and internet for about 12 years, and honestly I have never really had a problem with them until this issue.  They're sending someone out on Friday (who is supposed to be there exactly at 10 AM; we'll see), so hopefully he can resolve it. Hopefully he doesn't narrow the problem down to the coax I have running inside my wall to this cable box.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#12]
your picture will sometimes freeze or lose audio because your box is scanning your home with an RF Boomerang
the digital snapshot is sent back to the NSA database
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#13]
It might not even be on your end.  Everything is digital now, no more static signals. Either there, or not there.  If Discovery Channels uplink site is in the middle of a heavy storm, satellite never gets the signal.  Shows up on your end as "Channel not available" since this is an automatic slate that goes up when there is lack of signal.  
If you were getting everything earlier, and to now, start keeping a journal of what's going out and when. If nothing else, good evidence to get your bill lowered each month this occurs.  
Notice now how cable companies are no longer advertising "No lost signals during storms" for their ad campaigns against home satellite services?  Someone must have sued them for false advertising.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It might not even be on your end.  Everything is digital now, no more static signals. Either there, or not there.  If Discovery Channels uplink site is in the middle of a heavy storm, satellite never gets the signal.  Shows up on your end as "Channel not available" since this is an automatic slate that goes up when there is lack of signal.  
If you were getting everything earlier, and to now, start keeping a journal of what's going out and when. If nothing else, good evidence to get your bill lowered each month this occurs.  
Notice now how cable companies are no longer advertising "No lost signals during storms" for their ad campaigns against home satellite services?  Someone must have sued them for false advertising.

He has multiple channels out at the same time.  It's not a broadcasting issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top