Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2012 9:12:27 PM EDT
Today it was up to 49* and even when it's just up to 40*, they come out and make flights. We have had some really cold weather but it seems they're doing well.

Of course, there can still be some brutal weather ahead, but I am encouraged. I was told to expect to lose my first hive.

Must be some heat in there!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]
So....what are your plans?  Weaponafricanized attack bee swarm?  Epic quantities of mead?

Can you wrap the box in flexwatt heat tape and tinfoil and power it with a 500 foot extension cord daisy-chain from the house to keep them warm?
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
from what I hear you'll know how well it did by the number of corpses dragged out by the survivors in the spring.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
from what I hear you'll know how well it did by the number of corpses dragged out by the survivors in the spring.

There is at least a couple dozen fallen right outside the entrance. Did not have that during the summer or fall.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Feed them some sugar water to make sure they don't starve out during the winter.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Mid-winter? It won't be mid-winter till about the end of January.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Feed them some sugar water to make sure they don't starve out during the winter.

They have 10 full frames over their brooder. Totally full.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So....what are your plans?  Weaponafricanized attack bee swarm?  Epic quantities of mead?

Can you wrap the box in flexwatt heat tape and tinfoil and power it with a 500 foot extension cord daisy-chain from the house to keep them warm?

I wondered about simpy insulating the hive, but no one else does.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I have been talking about doing this come spring.

How much have you invested to this point??
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

$500 ish. Suits ( wife never uses hers, I don't use any protection now except the smoker), 6 full supers with frames, base, lid, feeder, bees.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$500 ish. Suits ( wife never uses hers, I don't use any protection now except the smoker), 6 full supers with frames, base, lid, feeder, bees.

Damn.  My wife spends more than that on local honey every year.

There is a local beekeeping society out here that has guidance for this region, and a really good success rate for newbies.

I'm gonna do it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#11]
They could easily use up those 10 frames. Make sure to keep an eye on them when you have a nice day to check. Especially come early spring. I've lost hives by not being proactively checking them in spring, thinking they had plenty of stores. They can go through it quickly early. Last year 2 of my 3 made it to spring in great shape, only to die off because I stopped feeding them after they got started on their own. Our spring took a turn to the bad and they ran out of forage. I didn't keep a good enough eye on them, and they starved. I took this year off and will start up again this spring.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn.  My wife spends more than that on local honey every year.

There is a local beekeeping society out here that has guidance for this region, and a really good success rate for newbies.

I'm gonna do it.

Thanks

We got 47.5 lbs of honey this season. Super good! It's all the rave.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Bees are tiny miracles capable of regulating the hive's temperature by their internal activities.
Within reason of course.
Congratulations on your new hobby.  It sounds like you're doing well so far.

Post pics!
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They could easily use up those 10 frames. Make sure to keep an eye on them when you have a nice day to check. Especially come early spring. I've lost hives by not being proactively checking them in spring, thinking they had plenty of stores. They can go through it quickly early. Last year 2 of my 3 made it to spring in great shape, only to die off because I stopped feeding them after they got started on their own. Our spring took a turn to the bad and they ran out of forage. I didn't keep a good enough eye on them, and they starved. I took this year off and will start up again this spring.

What about those protein patties? Or just sugar water? I have a top section double bay feeder. Goes under the roof. They find it pretty fast when I install & fill it.

I misunderstood a post from another thread that said they don't become welfare dependent and fed them well into the fall. Honey came out great but I had huge numbers and lots of bearding at nights. Felt bad about feeding them too late. I thought offering food was good so they could take it as they wanted.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bees are tiny miracles capable of regulating the hive's temperature by their internal activities.
Within reason of course.
Congratulations on your new hobby.  It sounds like you're doing well so far.

Post pics!

I had a thread with pics, setting up a bee hive, but can't seem to find it. I'll take new pics.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Bump with OP pic...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:17:32 AM EDT
[#17]
How helpful would just a wall or mesh or something to break up windchill be?
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#18]
So after 3 weeks of sub freezing weather, including several single-digit nights and 20* or less days, today it got to 42 and the bees are everywhere around the hive and zooming in & out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Actually, they are carrying dead bees out and dropping them all over around the hive. Must be 100 or more.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Actually, they are carrying dead bees out and dropping them all over around the hive. Must be 100 or more.

I dunno if it was me i would try to keep the snow off it. maybe put like an tent up or something
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Very cool thread OP.  Just curious, how large could a hive that size grow to population-wise?
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#22]
why not some styrofoam sheets around the box/top for insulation?
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#23]

As well as the spring. I made the mistake last year to feed them in the early spring, but not watch them close enough later in the spring. They may stop feeding on the sugar water and foraging only to run into a dearth later on. Mine did that and because I wasn't watching them close enough they starved in late spring. I'm having to start all over again this spring.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool thread OP.  Just curious, how large could a hive that size grow to population-wise?

80k bees with 4 supers later in the season.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
why not some styrofoam sheets around the box/top for insulation?

I've read several books and Internet articles but have never heard of anyone insulating the hive. Maybe someone more knowledgable will answer this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As well as the spring. I made the mistake last year to feed them in the early spring, but not watch them close enough later in the spring. They may stop feeding on the sugar water and foraging only to run into a dearth later on. Mine did that and because I wasn't watching them close enough they starved in late spring. I'm having to start all over again this spring.

So if I feed now through mid-late spring, what is the cutoff day to stop feeding them??? Apparently I fed them too late last year and I had no idea you are supposed to stop feeding.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#27]
There are usually a lot of bee keeping threads in the "Homestead/Farm & Garden" section of this site.
Try there.....
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So if I feed now through mid-late spring, what is the cutoff day to stop feeding them??? Apparently I fed them too late last year and I had no idea you are supposed to stop feeding.

Make sure not to feed them too long or they'll become too dependent and expect to get a free obama-phone

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top