Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/23/2012 4:44:49 PM EDT

The map indicates the addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties. Each dot represents an individual permit holder licensed to own a handgun — a pistol or revolver. The data does not include owners of long guns — rifles or shotguns — which can be purchased without a permit. Being included in this map does not mean the individual at a specific location owns a weapon, just that they are licensed to do so.

Data for all permit categories, unrestricted carry, premises, business, employment, target and hunting, is included, but permit information is not available on an individual basis.

http://www.lohud.com/interactive/article/20121223/NEWS01/121221011/Map-Where-gun-permits-your-neighborhood-?nclick_check=1

ETA: I still can't believe papers are allowed to publish this information.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Jesus - this is just like that Obama phone app that shows you maps of your neighborhood with people's party affiliation.

Yeah, it's all public information. But who is gonna be held responsible when a lib looney attacks one of these CCWs or a gang banger robs their house?

Intimidation at its finest folks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah, the rockland journal news has been publishing this info for at least the last 10 years.   The spreadsheet was also available for download too.

Just awful.

There are a lot of cops on this list too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
This shit pisses me off. Nobody should know anything about what I may or may not have........and that includes the Government.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jesus - this is just like that Obama phone app that shows you maps of your neighborhood with people's party affiliation.

Yeah, it's all public information. But who is gonna be held responsible when a lib looney attacks one of these CCWs or a gang banger robs their house?

Haven't heard anything about that ? Got a link ?
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't heard anything about that ? Got a link ?

im sure if someone is raped, and murdered and their gun stolen.... then the perps admit to using this list to find the victim, there will be no massive lawsuits involved. what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I just looked up my old hood in upstate NY and it's incomplete. Hopewell Jct and Pouhqueg NY is missing tons of people that I know have permits.

I had checked a list of permit holders in NY and I'm still on the list and I haven't lived there in 8 years.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think it works both ways.  Another way to look at this map is it also tells you who might not have a gun.  No resistance, easy pickings, no?  

Seriously, I think it is irresponsible of the news to report such information.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
i sent them a shitty letter to the editor, telling them how much they suck, and to enjoy their 50 million lawsuit when they get someone killed with this list.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
yeah, the rockland journal news has been publishing this info for at least the last 10 years.   The spreadsheet was also available for download too.

Just awful.

There are a lot of cops on this list too.

seems like newspapers are posting this stuff all the time.

my response would be to start spamming the "comments" section with the addresses of newspaper employees.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
We just passed ligislation in Oregon last year to prohibit the release of this type of information on CCW holders. For basically this reason too.

It's unconscionable.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]
WTF?  The Memphis Commercial Appeal pulled this shit a few years back and if I remember the payback was pretty good.  Publishing all the personal info of the Appeals employees including phone, addresses etc.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#13]
... amazing that this is made public domain

The East Coast is FUCKED
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Huge invasion of privacy...

Although, for criminals, it's a list of people to not rob.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

We just passed ligislation in Oregon last year to prohibit the release of this type of information on CCW holders. For basically this reason too.

It's unconscionable.

In Ohio the list of CCW permit holders was also published by a few newpapers.  The law has since been changed.  A reporter may request give the sherrif a name, and the sherrif will then let the reporter know if that person has a permit or not.  Its a step in the right direction, but newspapers will still sometimes make request on politicians, and see if they have a CCW permit to push their agenda.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#16]
make an interactive map of where all these anti gun idiots live and post it on the message boards the low lifes frequent.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Although, for criminals, it's a list of people to not rob.

quite the contrary!  It's a list of places to rob!!!  All they have to do is wait until the targeted house is empty of people and its a gold mine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#18]
NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN

A couple of years back that same fucking newspaper had a list of every licensed firearms owner in Rockland/ Westchester County.
Everyone in my family was on that list and now they want to put out a fucking Map with addresses again.
This shit really fucking pisses me off to no end.

I don't know if I can stress this enough - I am FUCKING MAD
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have said this many times, and I have been chastised for it. I am against CCW permits for many reasons, this being one of them. CCW is nothing more than registration. It may not, in all states, tell exactly what guns you have, but it will tell the authorities who has them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have said this many times, and I have been chastised for it. I am against CCW permits for many reasons, this being one of them. CCW is nothing more than registration. It may not, in all states, tell exactly what guns you have, but it will tell the authorities who has them.

I have also condemned these fucking licenses and CCW permits
every time I get a chance.
Specially in States where it is the only way to carry.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#21]
wow that's crazy

names & addy listed... that sux  
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone needs to get the info for everyone on food stamps and play their little game back.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN

A couple of years back that same fucking newspaper had a list of every licensed firearms owner in Rockland/ Westchester County.
Everyone in my family was on that list and now they want to put out a fucking Map with addresses again.

Class Action Lawsuit

You just got a list to thousands of your fellow plantifs. Contact a legal firm and ask them what recourse you can take, then sue the paper out of existence.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Someone needs to get the info for everyone on food stamps and play their little game back.

i like this idea
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN

Class Action Lawsuit

You just got a list to thousands of your fellow plantifs. Contact a legal firm and ask them what recourse you can take, then sue the paper out of existence.
While I like the idea, I wonder if a lawyer could win such a court case, especially in NY.

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Time to repay the editors and staff for the favor.  With a little digging, addresses and telephone numbers can be found for just about anyone.  Start posting their information where they will see it, and other places so folks know where they live.

If it is good one way, it certainly is good the other.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#27]
If I was affected by this type of thing I would be contacting these people. Since they are ultimately responsible for it.

http://www.gannett.com/section/WHOWEARE04

It would be a shame if their info was shared all over the Internet.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN

If you were a huge douchebag, you could call 911 and report a potential home invasion. When cops arrive, "the perps must have fled when they heard sirens". You heard them get close to the door and they were talking about "you sure this is the house with the guns? oh crap, i left the list in the van. shit - do you hear that? - i think i hear the cops.... run!" Police will go Couple days later, you follow up on the case saying you found this map on the internet with your name and address on it.

Then contact an attorney. That would be enough to get the ball rolling.

Maybe next week "they come back" and a window to your basement is broken, too, and now you fear for your and your families' life.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Lisa Madigan Sec of State of Illinois tried that Bull Shit Here
She Wanted to List the names and addresses of All  Illinois residents that had FOID cards (Firearm Owners Identification)
Thank God the Illinois State Police told her FUCK YOU
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Lisa Madigan Sec of State of Illinois tried that Bull Shit Here
She Wanted to List the names and addresses of All  Illinois residents that had FOID cards (Firearm Owners Identification)
Thank God the Illinois State Police told her FUCK YOU

This info should be kept confidential, especially from the public. It's really an invitation for trouble.

Harassment, best case, murder and theft, worse case.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I would hate to see the personal addresses of all of the staff at that paper get published.

That would suck.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would hate to see the personal addresses of all of the staff at that paper get published.

That would suck.

It would suck even more if someone some of them had permits themselves....
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's unconscionable.

Yeah, for some reason I found Statement #2 pretty hilarious when I renewed mine last summer.

STATEMENT #1
Please DO NOT RELEASE my information because:
1. I swear or affirm that it is my intention to obtain a concealed
handgun license to be used as part of security measures to
protect myself as an individual and/or my family and/or my
property.
2. I swear or affirm that it is my desire to keep all of the infor-
mation that the ******** County Sheriff’s Office obtains, for the
purposes of issuing a concealed handgun license to me,
confidential and exempt from disclosure without my written
consent.

STATEMENT #2
Please feel free to RELEASE my information to anybody.
1. I understand that public requests for my information may come
from friends, neighbors, attorneys, media, various companies,
corporations, businesses, organizations, the NRA, religious groups, political groups, etc.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#34]
One more reason you shouldn't need a permission slip from the gov to exercise your rights. Makes a paper trail that idiots can abuse for their own agenda.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This shit pisses me off. Nobody should know anything about what I may or may not have........and that includes the Government.

Amen
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#36]
How is it even legal to have that info public?
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just looked up my old hood in upstate NY and it's incomplete. Hopewell Jct and Pouhqueg NY is missing tons of people that I know have permits.

I had checked a list of permit holders in NY and I'm still on the list and I haven't lived there in 8 years.

It's by county; Dutchess isn't on there.

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Thank you comrade.  Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Thank god this Shit is private information in most states.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN

If you were a huge douchebag, you could call 911 and report a potential home invasion. When cops arrive, "the perps must have fled when they heard sirens". You heard them get close to the door and they were talking about "you sure this is the house with the guns? oh crap, i left the list in the van. shit - do you hear that? - i think i hear the cops.... run!" Police will go Couple days later, you follow up on the case saying you found this map on the internet with your name and address on it.

Maybe next week "they come back" and a window to your basement is broken, too, and now you fear for your and your families' life.

shamelessly bumping my own post.

you guys know that people "false flag" this shit all the time to use as an example to challenge a practice?

roe vs. wade - the woman admitted to just being a pawn.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, didn't have a tinfoil hat before, but maybe I will.... not even fucking kidding. Need the 2nd Amendment Foundation on this one STATIM !!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN

you guys know that people "false flag" this shit all the time to use as an example to challenge a practice?

I like your idea but I am not gonna play games with these fuckers this time. Legal Recourse is on it's way

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN

I like your idea but I am not gonna play games with these fuckers this time. Legal Recourse is on it's way

Unfortunately, i think something actually needs to happen in order for you to seek recourse. At the very least, for the case to be taken seriously, it does.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN

Unfortunately, i think something actually needs to happen in order for you to seek recourse. At the very least, for the case to be taken seriously, it does.

I hope you are wrong and that my little bit of research suggests that I have a case:

Section 1 - Subdivision 5 of Section 400.00 of the Penal Law, as
amended by Chapter 332 of the laws of 1994, is amended to make the
names of any pistol or revolver permit holders confidential except if
a request is made under the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) for a
specific individual by name. Any requests for the entire list
of licensees or for all the licensees in a geographic area shall be
denied except if requested by law enforcement (to include any
district attorney office in New York State).

At the very least I want this News Paper to print a redaction and apology and I will be using this to get the Sportsman/ Residence restrictions removed from my license.

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Oh, I'm sure that would never happen. We wouldn't want to embarrass or ruin the self esteem of the welfare recipients, now would we?

I think that exactly what we should do!

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Cross-reference unarmed homes with registered Democrats, publish, and distribute in inner city?

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Why the fuck would they post this?

What good could come of it?

Assholes.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I hope you are wrong and that my little bit of research suggests that I have a case:

Section 1 - Subdivision 5 of Section 400.00 of the Penal Law, as
amended by Chapter 332 of the laws of 1994, is amended to make the
names of any pistol or revolver permit holders confidential except if
a request is made under the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) for a
specific individual by name. Any requests for the entire list
of licensees or for all the licensees in a geographic area shall be
denied except if requested by law enforcement (to include any
district attorney office in New York State).

Woah - quick find! I hope you pursue.

I'm going to ask a family member in LE at Christmas about this. I live very close to where the dots end (in CT).... if you catch my drift. And I suspect my newspaper would LOVE to do this, too, considering how they've reported incidents in my area (including legit DGUs).
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I live in Georgia you can go ahead and mark us down...we have guns.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#50]
my building made the list
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top