Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2012 2:57:52 PM EDT
There are plenty of threads for predictions and the politics of all this. Lets talk about the business side of potential legislation.

Which companies do you think will go TU as a result of any potential legislation?

I'm going with Izmash, Century, Magpul, Bushmaster, 3/4 suppressor makers, and many of the AR specific makers that aren't knee deep in military contracts.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The supply chain aspect of the panic buying alone will throw a lot of small operations for a loop. Legislation aside, most will be priced out of the market for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster Firearms's name is absolutely MUD now...I can't see Cerberus keeping the name even long enough to sell Freedom Group. It is now just a marque of DPMS/Remington anyway.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There are plenty of threads for predictions and the politics of all this. Lets talk about the business side of potential legislation.

Which companies do you think will go TU as a result of any potential legislation?

I'm going with Izmash, Century, Magpul, Bushmaster, 3/4 suppressor makers, and many of the AR specific makers that aren't knee deep in military contracts.

none
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Kel-tec.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I can see Bushmaster cutting back on advertising as a result of CT.  Hopefully no company that supply our hobby will have to shut their doors.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Bushmaster is now a household name.

They don't need to pay for any advertising.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can see Bushmaster cutting back on advertising as a result of CT.  Hopefully no company that supply our hobby NATURAL BORN 2nd AMMENDMENT RIGHTS will have to shut their doors.

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Kel-Tec and Oly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Magpul...I heard they aren't selling shit right now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#10]
If anyone goes under it is because of piss poor management. I can see any company not on the verge going under. If your have the cash to buy materials and can pay your staff, you can sell everything you can make and at a mark-up that you wouldn't have believed possible three weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Anvil Arms probably won’t survive…

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#12]
bushmaster used to be for tier 1 operators back when i first started visiting these forums
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If anyone goes under it is because of piss poor management. I can see any company not on the verge going under. If your have the cash to buy materials and can pay your staff, you can sell everything you can make and at a mark-up that you wouldn't have believed possible three weeks ago.

For the short term anyway.  It was tough for some of these manufacturers to keep a steady supply of parts BEFORE all the current stuff went down.  Margins might increase, but it may not be enough if part supplies dry up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#14]
CTD
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

none

bingo
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Bushwacker.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's one that I hope goes out of business: Tactical Arms Manufacturer Inc of Huntersville, NC.  They are an AR manufacturer that said we civilians don't need "hi-capacity" magazines.

Owner's quote - “Frankly, I think there’s no need for anybody to have such . . . magazines, 20 or 30 rounds. It makes no sense at all to have that large of a magazine, even for personal protection,” he said.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/18/3734372/gun-makers-fret-as-gun-control.html#storylink=misearch

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Here's one that I hope goes out of business: Tactical Arms Manufacturer Inc of Huntersville, NC.  They are an AR manufacturer that said we civilians don't need "hi-capacity" magazines.

Owner's quote - "Frankly, I think there’s no need for anybody to have such . . . magazines, 20 or 30 rounds. It makes no sense at all to have that large of a magazine, even for personal protection,” he said.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/18/3734372/gun-makers-fret-as-gun-control.html#storylink=misearch

Semper Fi

Someone's fishing for a contract S&W style...

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#19]
none

All their production for 2013 is already sold.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
none

All their production for 2013 is already sold.

+1

I'll also add in that Izhmash manufactures cars, motorcycles and firearms the world over.  I doubt it would do their bottom line good, but they'd survive without a problem.
The mom and pop can makers?  I think they would weather it just fine as well, scale things back, cut a few jobs, and keep on going.

There is the keystone of it all.  Jobs. Who is going to cut the largest percentage of their workforce is the question.  Companys like Ruger who have been doing record breaking sales will have to gut employees.  I can't see one going under per se, since Washington moves at the speed of frozen piss and there isn't that much behind a real gun ban. I'm going with "painful" rather than "under"  
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Owner's quote - "Frankly, I think there’s no need for anybody to have such . . . magazines, 20 or 30 rounds. It makes no sense at all to have that large of a magazine, even for personal protection,” he said.

Semper Fi

Someone's fishing for a contract S&W style...

He is snorting his own farts, drinking his lunch, and chasing it all with quaalude if he is stupid enough to make that statement in public. Biting the hand that feeds you...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Any business too inflexible to make and/or sell products compliant with any future ban.

Magazine makers and AR parts guys will sink fast.

I suggest learning how to ninjafy shotguns if a company wants to stay afloat.

Unless a miracle happens our black rifles will have to go into hiding. No more lavish spending on flavor of the week gadgets.

Shotguns will be our tacticool toys.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
bushmaster used to be for tier 1 operators back when i first started visiting these forums

Tier 2.

They wouldn't parkerize under the FSB.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#24]
None.  Anything gun-related is a license to print money.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#25]
The high end manufactures will begin to go under.  No military contract big enough to stay in business, fewer civilians able to pay the price.  Then small grab the shirt tail companies.
Who will stay in business. Colt, Bushmaster, Ruger, Sig, Remington, Rock River, HK.  Then it will be a rat race for the others.  Sad, because some of the others are Tier 1 products.  Look at who got big after 2004 and there you will find the struggle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Kel-Tec and Oly.

Lol Kel-Tec, i'm pretty sure they're a CNC machine shop first and foremost
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
CTD

I sure hope so !
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Owner's quote - “Frankly, I think there’s no need for anybody to have such . . . magazines, 20 or 30 rounds. It makes no sense at all to have that large of a magazine, even for personal protection,” he said.

Semper Fi

Bill Ruger said the same thing !

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any business too inflexible to make and/or sell products compliant with any future ban.

Unless a miracle happens our black rifles will have to go into hiding. No more lavish spending on flavor of the week gadgets.

People like you are the problem.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Since Cerebus is dumping them, I would say Bushmaster and DPMS.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Cheaper than dirt.  They've pissed off enough people alone.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How is their manufacturing set up? Is it one plant and several names?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:55:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As par as I know they are two different companies with two different manufacturing plants.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Depends on if there is a ban or not. All of these small companies that have built themselves around the black gun since 2004 will be in bad shape if boehner sells out the IIA.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

People like you are the problem.

Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.

I'm still buying AR stuff.

Making a prediction doesn't make me the problem.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Probably not.  Bushmaster has friends in high places, and you won't believe who it is:

http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/28/gun-hating-new-york-pols-paid-6-million?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reason%2FHitandRun+%28Reason+Online+-+Hit+%26+Run+Blog%29

Via ARFCOMer Say Uncle

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Kel-tec.

Keltec is a aerospace company. The firearms are just a side gig for them They most likely will not go under.

Here is their parent company. http://www.craneae.com/AboutUs/Keltec.aspx
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kel-tec.

Keltec is a aerospace company. The firearms are just a side gig for them They most likely will not go under.

Especially since the reason they have a waiting list is because they only make what they can without borrowing money. Their firearms division is self funded and self sustaining. It's hard to go under when you sell what you make and only make what you can sell with profits from prior sales.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Since Remington/Bushmaster is in line to pick up the M4/M-16 contract from DOD, what is FN going to do with their facility in South Carolina?  Could we expect to see FN enter the civilian AR marketplace or will they simply close up shop and sell off their equipment?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Since Remington/Bushmaster is in line to pick up the M4/M-16 contract from DOD, what is FN going to do with their facility in South Carolina?  Could we expect to see FN enter the civilian AR marketplace or will they simply close up shop and sell off their equipment?

FN makes a crapton of weaponry out of that factory not just M16s, which I believe they still have a contract for anyway.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#41]
cheaper than dirt.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Calico
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As par as I know they are two different companies with two different manufacturing plants.

The old Bushmaster Facility in Windham Maine was in a business park owned by Richard Dyke the previous owner of Bushmaster/QPC. Freedom Group let their lease go, laid off most of the workers, and moved the Bushmaster AR making to a Remington Plant in Ilion, New York . Richard Dyke then got back into the gun business by putting together Windham Arms in the same facility that has formerly housed Bushmaster. Right now Bushmaster is just a roll mark and a logo with some corporate paperwork.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FN makes a crapton of weaponry out of that factory not just M16s, which I believe they still have a contract for anyway.

FN is selling a shit ton of AR barrels to lots of retailers, just check out PSA for example. They can't even keep any in stock and that was before the recent bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
CTD

I sure hope so !

CTD is going down either way.  If panic buying ends nobody with a brain will ever buy from them again.  If there is legislation that stops panic buying....nobody with a brain will ever buy anything from them again.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#46]
"Custom AR gunsmiths"....maybe.  No parts....no work.  They will have to build EBRs....Evil Bolt Rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top