Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2012 9:43:11 AM EDT
Ok.... I'm sure people share my frustrations.  And I'm even seeing things on this website that frustrate me. I really think the public needs more education on what an assault rifle is and the difference between a semi-auto and an automatic rifle.  

You've got idiot politicians saying automatic weapons need to be banned.  I spent 10 minutes explaining to a co-worker today how laborious it is to aquire automatic weapons and that an M16 automatic lower reciever alone will run around $16,000 which is out of range for most middle class americans.  A lot of people think Friday's atrocities were carried out by a fully automatic weapon.  

Another misconception is that people are labeling AR "assault style" rifles as assault rifles based on the AR name.  I think ArmaLite would take issue with that.

Please people.... do me a favor.  Take a minute or two to educate your friends, co-workers and an idiot tree-hugger about weapons.  Sorry, just had to rant and get this off my chest, but I am annoyed right now. Annoyed with the ignorant press, liberal politicians and knee-jerk reactions.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Assault = scary word for ill-informed sheep
Weapon = scary word for ill-informed sheep

eta: This has nothing to do with the lefts desire for public safety, never has been.
Though they use events such as this to continue to push to mold popular opinion.
This has always been their agenda, since day one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Indeed.  And it doesn't help people fear what they don't understand.  A car is just as deadly as a rifle, but people educate themsleves on how to safely operate them.  And even then it doesn't always work out.  *sigh*
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree.

The thing that I see/hear the most is misuse or misunderstanding of the word "automatic'.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm with you OP...It's a pita but the average schmo on the street doesn't care...and the hardcore liberal will let what you say go in one ear and out the other...I try to educate where I can..But a lot of people automatically write off a person as being "a stupid liberal" if they don't use the write terminology...Educate, educate, educate...
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't matter what the actual definition of an assault rifle is.  When they say "assault rifle", they are talking about your AR15.  If you were to teach them the correct terminology, they would simply be calling for an AR15 ban.  They want to ban scarey black rifles, whatever they're called.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]
The fact that the media and all of the politicians are using these misnomers tells me that everything is "normal".  When they start using the right terms to describe what they are talking about is when I'm going to be really worried.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The fact that the media and all of the politicians are using these misnomers tells me that everything is "normal".  When they start using the right terms to describe what they are talking about is when I'm going to be really worried.

Watching 60 Minutes last night, Scott whats-his-name actually said, "The rifle used was semi-automatic, meaning one round is fired for each pull of the trigger".  I applauded.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I think politicians like it this way though.  Easier to gain support through fallacies.  Though I suspect lots are ignorant themselves.

I would even venture to say its the extreme left of liberals at that, as I know many Democrats that hunt, and even have a Liberal friend who is pro-gun.  So I suppose it's progressives, as they are reffered to as now.

Sadly, it is always the semi auto v. auto confusion.

I have told people that the guy could have done what he did with a katana if he really wanted to.  I have also told people for every life lost, one has been saved by a firearm this past week.  Evil will always exist. It's just convenient to blame what people fear, rather than focus on the real issues.  People will blame video games.  They will blame guns.  But they will never blame parenting or education (or the lack thereof).  I could throw religion (or again, the lack thereof) in there too.

Sadly in this case, the parents seemed to have done nothing wrong, and the kid was educated.

I will say I am mad that the press is going on about the mother being a prepper, trying to make them seem crazy now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think politicians like it this way though.  Easier to gain support through fallacies.  Though I suspect lots are ignorant themselves.

I would even venture to say its the extreme left of liberals at that, as I know many Democrats that hunt, and even have a Liberal friend who is pro-gun.  So I suppose it's progressives, as they are reffered to as now.

Sadly, it is always the semi auto v. auto confusion.

I have told people that the guy could have done what he did with a katana if he really wanted to.  I have also told people for every life lost, one has been saved by a firearm this past week.  Evil will always exist. It's just convenient to blame what people fear, rather than focus on the real issues.  People will blame video games.  They will blame guns.  But they will never blame parenting or education (or the lack thereof).  I could throw religion (or again, the lack thereof) in there too.

Sadly in this case, the parents seemed to have done nothing wrong, and the kid was educated.

I will say I am mad that the press is going on about the mother being a prepper, trying to make them seem crazy now.

Like I sad in another thread, there are over 300 million people in this country, and some of the are screwed up.  They have always been there, and always will be.  There is nothing you can do to prevent them from committing atrocities.  I see school shootings as the latest fad.  They are soft targets, with lots of people.  The only solution is to defend them by arming and training teachers.  Then the psychos will go back to sniping from towers, or whatever they did before to die on the news.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok.... I'm sure people share my frustrations.  And I'm even seeing things on this website that frustrate me. I really think the public needs more education on what an assault rifle is and the difference between a semi-auto and an automatic rifle.  

You've got idiot politicians saying automatic weapons need to be banned.  I spent 10 minutes explaining to a co-worker today how laborious it is to aquire automatic weapons and that an M16 automatic lower reciever alone will run around $16,000 which is out of range for most middle class americans.  A lot of people think Friday's atrocities were carried out by a fully automatic weapon.  

Another misconception is that people are labeling AR "assault style" rifles as assault rifles based on the AR name.  I think ArmaLite would take issue with that.

Please people.... do me a favor.  Take a minute or two to educate your friends, co-workers and an idiot tree-hugger about weapons.  Sorry, just had to rant and get this off my chest, but I am annoyed right now. Annoyed with the ignorant press, liberal politicians and knee-jerk reactions.

+1 although I disagree with the "Ignorant Press" thing.  They're not ignorant, they know better and know exactly what they are doing.  They are pushing a "Liberal" Agenda and using whatever means will get them the most Viewers, no matter how "inaccurate"  their "facts"  (that means lies) may be.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#11]
All weapons are assault weapons by definition.   After all, if I can't assault you with it, is it really a weapon?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#12]
You could beat the correct definition into their brains with a baseball bat and it wouldn't matter.

They don't care.

You are dealing with folks that have a agenda, facts don't matter.

The truth doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]
We did it to ourselves. Check out magazine ads in the 80's.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We did it to ourselves. Check out magazine ads in the 80's.

Bingo again...

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top