Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2001 5:40:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
more then likely just some brass marks from the casings. scrub it off with some clp or hopps#9
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been able to remove the marks with a little judicious rubbing with Hoppe's. Some folks with valuable pieces stick a piece of tape on the deflector while shooting.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Good ol' #9 will remove most superficial markings. Try getting some black electrical tape and put a layer or two over the areas that usually get marked up. It will prevent any further marks from appearing and it's real easy to remove and clean up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to worry about cleaning as much off as possible.  Now I just wipe it with some hoppe's and let it be.  It gives it character and shows that it is a shooter. Although mine only hits on the very end of the deflector.  I have seen some that are completely covered, then it does stick out a bit too much.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Somebody once I think it was on here told me to put a square of black velcro the fuzzy side on it it does work well and cleans off easily.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
A good 'ol coat of electrical tape will solve that problem. [uzi]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#7]

I said it before. "You can't polish a .." er never mind. Listen to the other's good advice.

Personally, I think it gives it character by leaving that just the way it is. I do.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Remove it! Why it's like a badge of honor son!

Sign of a happy AR!

Announce's to the world: This gun ain't just for looks! It speaks and speaks often!

Hey, look at that, that guy must shoot a lot!
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#9]
[8d]  Ditto "Stubs".  I found that some brass is softer and leaves more of a mark than others.  On my friends AR I have seen  where steel cases have chipped the nickel acetate sealer over the hard anodize on the brass deflector.  Try the tape.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Is your AR in a museum or something?

You’re going to end up scrubbing the brass deflector off with all of that cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#11]
When you actually shoot your rifle, you get brass marks on the deflector. If you try to scrub them off, eventually, you're going to go through the finish. If it really bothers you, a piece of electrical tape will keep her clean. Me, I always liked to ride them hard and put them away wet, so don't care who knows about it.
[:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top