Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/14/2012 2:08:22 PM EDT
What Gun Did The Sandy Hook Shooter Use

I don't know about you guys, but this article really pissed me off. A good amount of ignorance in it. Author even bothered to say "This is not a gun control advocacy article, it's just about possible rifles. No one here is advocating gun control". Yeah, like that is believable. And sorry if this is a dupe guys.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy cow that is full of ignorance and contradiction.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
CNN is just reporting a Glock and Sig Sauer handguns and a ".223 caliber Bushmaster"...

ETA: Should have read the linked article first... sorry...
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
CNN is just reporting a Glock and Sig Sauer handguns and a ".223 caliber Bushmaster"...

the bush master was reported earlier in the day as being left in the car, but things have been changing all day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the bush master was reported earlier in the day as being left in the car, but things have been changing all day.

That's one thing that I've been hearing all day, that this was a double handgun shooting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Update: The bushmaster rifle was found in the trunk of the shooter's car. The Sig Sauer and Glock pistols were the only weapons used in the shooting, according to CBS.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
This always happens, and to think they got paid good money to misled the public.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The article pictures a Colt.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
So since these guns were his mother's, and she lived in CT, they were probably 100% AWB compliant.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Read the BIO of the author, makes it even more
http://www.businessinsider.com/author/geoffrey-ingersoll
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't worry...if they ban Glocks
lots of Glock haters from this forum will be happy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Businessinsider.com is WND.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to put a drill to my head to drain out the stupid that just seeped it's way in reading that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#13]
According to MSNBC, it was an evil black automatic firearm that corrupted the soul of everyone that touched it.

So fucking glad that I'm spending 8 hours on a plane tomorrow and will have 8 hours away from internet and news. Even happier I won't have to spend the next week listening to German civilians talk about how fucked up America is (I already caught a dose of that getting some coffee across the street a few hours ago).
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#14]
FoxNews said it was a Bushwhacker earlier.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]
oops, wrong thread
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#16]
That makes no sense at all.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
According to MSNBC, it was an evil black automatic firearm that corrupted the soul of everyone that touched it.

So fucking glad that I'm spending 8 hours on a plane tomorrow and will have 8 hours away from internet and news. Even happier I won't have to spend the next week listening to German civilians talk about how fucked up America is (I already caught a dose of that getting some coffee across the street a few hours ago).

I'm trying to avoid watching any TV news.
They are already running shit like
"I can't believe how easy it is to sell a gun to anyone"
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#18]
The other thread is getting full of fucking fail.

Does anybody know for SURE if the guy took weapons that werent his??
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

CNN is now reporting that all three of the firearms were owned by the shooter's mother...
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Stupid post is stupid.

Members here can have personal firearm preferences, but I don't think anyone here wants a ban on any of our guns.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#21]
The first CNN reporter I heard called the rifle a .223 Bushwhacker.  Fucking turds!
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid post is stupid.

Members here can have personal firearm preferences, but I don't think anyone here wants a ban on any of our guns.

Agree. I think the word "ban" is an ARFCommer's worst enemy regardless of gun type.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid post is stupid.

Stupid is believing that bashing guns and their owners
is use to talk about firearms preferences.  

The way these haters bash them I wouldn't be surprised.
Who the hell knows who is behind some of these accounts
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CNN is now reporting that all three of the firearms were owned by the shooter's mother...

Considering he's 20, the chances of him owning the two handguns are damn small.  Not sure if they can be given as gifts or some shit to people under 21.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid post is stupid.

Agree. I think the word "ban" is an ARFCommer's worst enemy regardless of gun type.

Bashing guns 24/7 is the same shit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid post is stupid.

Bashing guns 24/7 is the same shit.

Just stop posting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Could be worse, nbc news just claimed that the state police securing the shooters mothers home have heavy artillery
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Could be worse, nbc news just claimed that the state police securing the shooters mothers home have heavy artillery

lawls.  thats some serious shit
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

[cough] holocaust [/cough]
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm thinking of writing this guy an email, how does this sound:

Geoffrey,

I feel that your article on the weapons used at the tragic Sandy Hook shooting is misleading and may have confused the facts regarding the firearms used and firearm ownership in general.

In your first paragraph, you mention that "The bushmaster rifle was found in the trunk of the shooter's car. The Sig Sauer and Glock pistols were the only weapons used in the shooting, according to CBS." However, you later go on to speculate on what type of Sig Sauer "assault style rifle" may have been used. I think this suggests that assault rifles were used in the actual shooting, and while the shooter may have intended to use the Bushmaster rifle it does not sound like this was the case at all.

In your speculation regarding firearm purchases, you write: "...but a simple trip across the border into Pennsylvania can secure weapons illegal in both those aforementioned states, or one can just buy weapons on the web." While two neighboring states may have vastly different laws regarding magazine capacity and firearm sales, there is no such thing as a "simple" drive across borders to purchase them. Per Federal Law, all firearm purchases from a state other than that of the buyer's residency must be done through a Federally licensed dealer [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)], and the firearm would have to be shipped directly to an FFL dealer in the state of purchase who would then verify the eligibility of the buyer.
   The same follows to purchases over the internet. I feel that your article, among many other news and blog articles recently, imply that internet sales of firearms work the same way as a purchase from Amazon.com! This is simply not the case! The same requirement for a Federally licensed dealer to perform a background check is required for all internet sales, and an FFL licensed dealer MUST be utilized to receive a firearm shipped from another state.
   Even if a Connecticut resident were to try to purchase illegal firearms in Pennsylvania from a private owner, that owner is bound by state law to ensure that he or she is only selling to residents of that state in accordance with the laws of both states.

As a journalist, please ensure that you represent facts regarding your story and especially Federal law accurately, and without personal speculation or assumption. Many people read your articles, and incomplete or incorrect information can negatively impact your readers.

Respectfully,
Shane Bergeron
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No. No one knows for sure. We'll have a much better idea in a week or so, and that's just the way the media works.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[cough] holocaust [/cough]

Yeah. Not going nuclear on the people who make my coffee.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Just ban purple Bushhamsters. Save the Glocks!

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#34]
He left the rifle (all the guns belonged to mom) in the car because he knew they would see it and not let him in when he buzzed.
He only used the glock and sig.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

He left the rifle (all the guns belonged to mom) in the car because he knew they would see it and not let him in when he buzzed.

He only used the glock and sig.

Then too bad he didn't bring it along

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#36]
So basically these particular firearms would not have been involved if his mother was responsible and locked them up. We need to push this issue when people say "ban guns!".
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Geoffrey,

I feel that your article on the weapons used at the tragic Sandy Hook shooting is misleading and may have confused the facts regarding the firearms used and firearm ownership in general.

In your first paragraph, you mention that "The bushmaster rifle was found in the trunk of the shooter's car. The Sig Sauer and Glock pistols were the only weapons used in the shooting, according to CBS." However, you later go on to speculate on what type of Sig Sauer "assault style rifle" may have been used. I think this suggests that assault rifles were used in the actual shooting, and while the shooter may have intended to use the Bushmaster rifle it does not sound like this was the case at all.

In your speculation regarding firearm purchases, you write: "...but a simple trip across the border into Pennsylvania can secure weapons illegal in both those aforementioned states, or one can just buy weapons on the web." While two neighboring states may have vastly different laws regarding magazine capacity and firearm sales, there is no such thing as a "simple" drive across borders to purchase them. Per Federal Law, all firearm purchases from a state other than that of the buyer's residency must be done through a Federally licensed dealer [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)], and the firearm would have to be shipped directly to an FFL dealer in the state of purchase who would then verify the eligibility of the buyer.
   The same follows to purchases over the internet. I feel that your article, among many other news and blog articles recently, imply that internet sales of firearms work the same way as a purchase from Amazon.com! This is simply not the case! The same requirement for a Federally licensed dealer to perform a background check is required for all internet sales, and an FFL licensed dealer MUST be utilized to receive a firearm shipped from another state.
   Even if a Connecticut resident were to try to purchase illegal firearms in Pennsylvania from a private owner, that owner is bound by state law to ensure that he or she is only selling to residents of that state in accordance with the laws of both states.

As a journalist, please ensure that you represent facts regarding your story and especially Federal law accurately, and without personal speculation or assumption. Many people read your articles, and incomplete or incorrect information can negatively impact your readers.

Respectfully,
Shane Bergeron

Send it...
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#38]
As far as they are reporting that's all. Keep in mind he shot mom in the face before he went to school.
Maybe he forced her to give up the guns? Already said, we will know more in a week or two.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Geoffrey,

Respectfully,
Shane Bergeron

Send it, chances are it will be read and end up in the deleted folder because lets face it people being rational will put a damper on AWB and "BAN THE GUNS" shit sells the sheep.
Maybe I'm wrong.....(I hope I am at least.)
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Geoffrey,

Respectfully,
Shane Bergeron

Good Letter.. Send it.  May I borrow it?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not surprised.

I know plenty of vets and active duty alike that hardly know anything about weapons in general.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I used to have the same morbid curiosity after these types of events and feel I needed to know what exact gun the shooter used.
I now believe that hurts our gun rights and our cause. After a drunk driver kills a car full of nuns, do we ask what kind of car he was driving? No, because we all realize the driver caused the deaths, not the car. The make and model are inconsequential to the outcome in both events.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Geoffrey,

Respectfully,
Shane Bergeron

Good Letter.. Send it.  May I borrow it?

Sure, it was wrote by "Saber" I love Yahoo's disposable email address feature, we'll see what he says. I can't stand people blatantly spewing bullshit out of their mouth! I don't know what would stop gun violence, and how to keep them out of the hands of killers is a great question, but I do know one thing: Ignorance has never solved a God-damn thing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not surprised.

I know plenty of vets and active duty alike that hardly know anything about weapons in general.

Same with Cops, many are not recreational shooters, hunters, etc
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#45]
He used common guns that are in common use with responsible civilians and law enforcement alike.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
He used common guns that are in common use with responsible civilians and law enforcement alike.

Excellent and clear point.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I used to have the same morbid curiosity after these types of events and feel I needed to know what exact gun the shooter used.

I now believe that hurts our gun rights and our cause. After a drunk driver kills a car full of nuns, do we ask what kind of car he was driving? No, because we all realize the driver caused the deaths, not the car. The make and model are inconsequential to the outcome in both events.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

The media actually does have a bogeyman for your scenario.  The dreaded S-U-V

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#48]
AR15 never left the trunk and gun ban folks are trying to say that it was "quote" used in the shooting. Lovely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLrxSgkqJQc&sns=em
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

AR15 never left the trunk and gun ban folks are trying to say that it was "quote" used in the shooting.

That Looks like a shotgun he's clearing.  Definitely not an AR-15 with the position of the guy's hands while he cycles the action.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
AR15 never left the trunk and gun ban folks are trying to say that it was "quote" used in the shooting.

That Looks like a shotgun he's clearing.  Definitely not an AR-15 with the position of the guy's hands while he cycles the action.

Kinda looked like a Mini 14. Definitely not an AR.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top