Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 41
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been planning on building my first gaming rig this year. My poverty laptop hardly runs KSP on the lowest settings and as a casulty, I havent played it much except for when I first bought it.

I'm on a budget. I was thinking something like this. Would it run KSP without issue?

CPU - AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core $129.99
Motherboard - ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ $69.99
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $49.99
Solid State Drive - Samsung 840 EVO 120GB $99.93
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $59.98
Graphics Card  - Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB $199.99
Case - NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower $39.99
Power Supply - EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX $39.99
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been planning on building my first gaming rig this year. My poverty laptop hardly runs KSP on the lowest settings and as a casulty, I havent played it much except for when I first bought it.

I'm on a budget. I was thinking something like this. Would it run KSP without issue?

View Quote

I'm sure that would handle KSP just fine.  Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding it that KSP performance is mostly limited by the Unity game engine.  Right now KSP is not optimized to run on multiple cores and since it is 32 bit it can only use a max of 4 gb of ram.  The per core speed seems to be the major limiting factor in performance, but you would still want a robust gpu and ram.  As the game progresses out of development there should be some more attention given to performance optimizations.  I'm no rocket computer scientist, but I got drunk and browsed some forum threads about this the other day
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The physics engine only runs on a single core, which is what kills performance.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I continued on with my new save game tonight.  After about 24 hours of no random restarts with my PC they came back when I was playing KSP tonight.  Last night I played KSP for a couple of hours with no problems and my wife used the PC for work all day today and there weren't any issues.  Luckily autosaves kept me from loosing much progress, but earlier this week it crashed during an autosave which corrupted my entire save file.  When I upgraded my graphics card it was a model that ran only on the PCIe power, the old one required a bunch of extra power plugs.  It is definitely not overloaded, at 650w it should be able to handle much more.  I even switched back to the old card and had the same issues.  My CPU temps may be a bit high, 65c during full load.  I got a tube of thermal paste at work, I will see if putting a new layer of paste helps since it is cheaper than replacing a power supply.  I have a similar machine at work, with the same processor and a newer mobo, it had overheating issues because the cooler came loose, but it always paused for a bit instead of restarting.  Not sure what is going on, but it is annoying.

Anyways, I sent this behemoth up:

I was thinking of going to Duna, but when I got in orbit I realized Eve was perfectly aligned for transfer.  After aerocapture I was set up for an easy transfer to GIlly.  I haven't landed on Gilly in a long time, so this was good fun to make sure my design would work out later.  Landed on Gilly, luckily inclines aren't much of an issue:

Back to orbit with RCS:

Pretty shot of aerobraking over Kerbin:

Landed at KSC after a long journey.  Yes I used MechJeb to predict my landing spot, I only have so much patience left after dealing with this wonky PC.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#5]
So apparently they accidentally let slip that .23 is coming out on Dec. 17

Said so on their twitter feed.  I say accidentally because they normally don't announce dates... but this one might have been intentional.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
$16 today on Steam.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#7]
It's been a while since I played. Had an idea.

Meet the Spambler:

Started to pitch up HARD, where the SAS  and canards couldn't compensate, just before empty. Popped it off and away:

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Meet the Spambler:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot71_zps2b1fb1e2.png

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot70_zpse039fde7.png

Started to pitch up HARD, where the SAS  and canards couldn't compensate, just before empty. Popped it off and away:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot72_zps03a08483.png
View Quote

Now build an SSTO.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Now build an SSTO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meet the Spambler:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot71_zps2b1fb1e2.png

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot70_zpse039fde7.png

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot72_zps03a08483.png

Now build an SSTO.

I've done that.

Rambler, sitting on Clarke Station in a Kerbosynchronous orbit:

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have been dealing with some annoying PC issues lately.  I built the machine in 2007 with a Q6600 processor (2.4 GHz quad core) and it has had everything replaced at one point or another except for the mobo, processor and optical drive.  I recently switched out my giant 260 GTX video card for a 640 GT, which is quieter, cooler and uses much less power.  Since then I have been having random restarts anywhere from 2 min - 2 hours from startup and I spent the past 4 days trying to pinpoint the issue.  I did pretty much everything including re-installing windows, pulling everything out and checking connections, switching video cards, and running endless diagnostics, but I couldn't get any closer to an answer.  I have a nice Corsair 650W power supply that should be overkill for my setup and is only a few years old, but it may be the only cause of the problem that I haven't been able to rule out.  All of a sudden it is working fine with no crashes for the past day.

I saw this Corsair Vengeance case the other day, now I have the itch to build a new system:
http://i.imgur.com/KsJsYyQ.png

During all of this madness I managed to corrupt my latest save files, so I had to start all over with a new career mode save.  I used the latest KW Rocketry mod and I love the new sound effects and battery packs.

http://i.imgur.com/68FoEMY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HLpLjTX.jpg

And yes, I also have MechJeb installed
View Quote

I'm getting the same symptoms on an old system of mine, and I see a couple of bulged caps near the socket for the processor - pretty sure that isn't helping things I need to go ahead and replace them, but I was lazy and just built up a new system (not to mention the other was so long in the tooth it couldn't be upgrade with a better vid card).
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#11]
The KSP forums are in a bit of turmoil right now.
They announced that after they finish up getting the systems for career in place they are going to start working on Multiplayer modes for both career and sandbox.  Once they have done that they will be "scope complete".  This means they'll have the skeleton of systems they need for each game mode.  Then they'll turn their attention to filling up those game modes with the features and parts and polish that happens at the end of development just before full release.
The reason the forums are in turmoil is that they also announced that the plan they had for a resource mining system has been scraped.  They did not say that they would not be doing a different resource system.  All they said was that the one they had been working on isn't going to happen.  People are flying off the handle... thinking that this means all chance of any sort of resource system is lost and that it was scraped for the multiplayer idea.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The reason the forums are in turmoil is that they also announced that the plan they had for a resource mining system has been scraped.  They did not say that they would not be doing a different resource system.  All they said was that the one they had been working on isn't going to happen.  People are flying off the handle... thinking that this means all chance of any sort of resource system is lost and that it was scraped for the multiplayer idea.    
View Quote

I'd MUCH rather have resource mining than multiplayer.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But doesn't orbital jousting sound fun?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Dunno why people would freak so much.

It's obviously a Mojang-like ploy to get the modding community to do all the coding on a mod that they can later just incorporate into the game.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Dunno why people would freak so much.

It's obviously a Mojang-like ploy to get the modding community to do all the coding on a mod that they can later just incorporate into the game.

View Quote
Kethane...

Squad has been doing that for a long time now...except they just hire the best modders.

C7

The dude from B9

Novasilisko

etc

etc

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, yes it does.

Also, it would give all those ICBM mods purpose.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The KSP forums are in a bit of turmoil right now.

They announced that after they finish up getting the systems for career in place they are going to start working on Multiplayer modes for both career and sandbox.  Once they have done that they will be "scope complete".  This means they'll have the skeleton of systems they need for each game mode.  Then they'll turn their attention to filling up those game modes with the features and parts and polish that happens at the end of development just before full release.

View Quote

Right now resource mining is not needed to get wherever you want in the solar system and experience the full scope of gameplay, so I can see why they don't think it is essential.  Plus there will always be mods like Kethane for people who are looking for that.  I am interested to see how they will implement multiplayer, there have been some great ideas in the multiplayer mods that are out there right now.  The .23 changes including sabre engines and the science lab have me excited.

My desktop PC is looking to be entirely dead, I am having to use my laptop for everything now (1st world problems).  I tried everything, including running on a live cd with no HD, switching out memory modules, replacing thermal paste, and ultimately replacing my power supply.  Unfortunately nothing fixed the random restart issue, which only got worse, while corrupting windows thanks to crashing during system updates.  I couldn't even reinstall windows without a restart occurring before it was finished.  The leads me to believe that me issue has to be with my motherboard or processor, neither of which can be replaced while keeping the other since they are the old socket 775.  I am going to head to Tiger Direct again tomorrow afternoon, I am thinking of picking up an AMD CPU/mobo setup since it is going to give me the best bang for the buck, something in the neighborhood of quad core 3.5 gHz.  I want to get this machine back up and running for around $300 and I don't want to downgrade in performance spending that much.  A more expensive Intel setup with the new case I have been drooling over will have to wait until next year.  I am hoping to have everything running in time for the .23 update, which I will have to start another new save game for because all of my recent stuff has been lost.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my new motherboard and CPU up and running.  I got one of the AMD FX6100 6 core 3.3 GHz CPUs.  Luckily the guy helping me out at Tiger Direct in Raleigh plays KSP and knew exactly what I was looking for.  Not my dream setup, but I was able to get everything going again for less than $300.  I played KSP for a little bit, built a huge high part asparagus rocket and I am already seeing a significant improvement in performance.  I am not going to play much until .23 comes out, but now I am extra excited.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#19]
RATO packs don't count as a stage, right?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm sure that would handle KSP just fine.  Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding it that KSP performance is mostly limited by the Unity game engine.  Right now KSP is not optimized to run on multiple cores and since it is 32 bit it can only use a max of 4 gb of ram.  The per core speed seems to be the major limiting factor in performance, but you would still want a robust gpu and ram.  As the game progresses out of development there should be some more attention given to performance optimizations.  I'm no rocket computer scientist, but I got drunk and browsed some forum threads about this the other day
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough. I would also be using this for other games, but KSP is what is really motivating me to get going. Checking out on a case right now (Cougar mid tower with lots of airflow for $20 shipped)
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing to see here. Just a gigantic orbiting fuel depot.

Keep moving.

Almost there.

Ah.

Sent that last section up with this rocket, not once tapping into the payload tank, and with fuel left over in the movers:

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow, that's gotta be a laggy, wobbly, death machine!
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow, that's gotta be a laggy, wobbly, death machine!
View Quote

It's a space station. Not going anywhere; the laterally mounted engines were there to park the tank on the station, and will be used in a de-orbit burn when both tanks are empty.

Meanwhile, I just installed my first mod in about a year, the Mk 2 internals.

And here we go, with Flash's maiden voyage:

In orbit:

The greatest part about this mod:

ETA: it also has the leaning forward view if you double click just over the nav ball:

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#24]
The forums are down from everyone wondering where the update they promised is.  They shouldn't have given a release date.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#25]
23 NOW LIVE!  
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Update looks good... much smoother animations and mouse control in vehicle assembly.  Need to figure out how to get Mechjeb working with the .23 command pods though...
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:07:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
How does one get Mechjeb into the career side of the game?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see a mechjeb module in those pictures.

Good eye.  It is neat in career mode because as you move through the tech tree more functions are unlocked.  My last save game I did no MechJeb and tried to land a bunch of stuff in the same spot on Duna.  After lots of swearing I decided this time around I would use MechJeb.  When using Remote Tech is is very handy as well, knowing all my orbit info and being able to put my comsats in a perfect orbit keeps them from getting out of sync during big time warps.  I still do most everything manually, unless I am playing drunk, then ascent guidance may get used .

How does one get Mechjeb into the career side of the game?

there was a patch that was released on the early versions for use with .22, I needed to run that to integrate it into the career tree. a simple search will bring it up.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:20:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

so would I, but  two things I've learned about KSP is first these dudes seem to know what they are doing, since today was the big day I went back and loaded up one of the original versions they had up for us to mess with, the designers have really progressed the game not just reasonably fast, but they defianetely have appeared to spend time on the aspects that are most rewarding and have left very little 'junky features' that you have to wade through along the way.

if they say that the resousce gathering idea wasnt going anywhere ill take their word, but I agree, harvesting kethane was fun as hell with that mod, same with mapping out the planets etc.

The worst thing for me to see happen to the game is for them to bog it down with to much repetitive 'chores' under the guise of challenges necessary ot advance, that crap drives me nuts. I'll deal with doing my initial ascent for what feels like 20 minutes of nothing the same time every time only because I apreciate the realism and physics that the game incorporates (which is also why I cant not use mechjeb eventually to get into a circular orbit for so I dont die of boredom) career mode forced me to thoroughly explore every planet which was cool, but if i had to do that 200 times just to collect some gold coins over and over id be pissed.

Between the add ons, reddit challenges, their updates, leaving no kerbal left behind and more add ons, i can live without resource gathering for a while.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:28:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd personally like to see some more effort put into cockpit internals and more plane-related parts. I need more wings and fuselage styles but i don't want to use mods
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:32:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'd personally like to see some more effort put into cockpit internals and more plane-related parts. I need more wings and fuselage styles but i don't want to use mods
View Quote

agreed. I'd also like to see them bring whatever aerodynamic algorithm they are planning to use online already, if suborbital flight is going to be a major portion of the game (which it obviously is), they really need to address that.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Being able to adjust the thrust limiter on SRBs is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Concept Gripendor, a canard-bearing, Rapier powered space plane concept:

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot92_zps2706114c.png
View Quote

Nice, I like the abort setup.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot92_zps2706114c.png

Yeah, that's my standard Mk 2 abort from here out. It works quite well, but you need to cut your engines first for maximum safety.

This one pops off as if it is on rails:

The Deltoid, pictured above, had just barely enough fuel to dock with Statlor, due to a botched approach that took me in a circle.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
New concept gets a new post.

Meet the Stingler, inspired by the F-22:

This is a concept based on a delta wing, using the vertical stabilizers as elevators in addition to yaw control.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
plan is to completely redo plane parts outside and in.  They're the last "place holder" parts according to the devs.  Since the outsides are going to be changing they haven't bothered much with the insides because they'd have to redo those too soon enough.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Did some rearranging.

E: Just dropped the bottom tank into the ocean.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not an abort system.  This is an abort system:

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#39]
The beast enlargens:

And further embiggening:

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Oh shit. My space station is exploding and I don't know why!

....and it's gone.

ETA: maybe not lost. I managed to undock both Deltoids and return their crew, albeit using the ejection system in atmosphere; now to see about recovering the on board crew, including the tug pilot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I have been dealing with some mishaps as well.  My new career game is using Kethane and Kerbal Engineer and I am trying not to use reverts.

My new favorite non Jeb Kerbal:

For the fourth mission, I sent him to orbit the Mun for tons of science.  Unfortunately I only had about 150 m/s delta v left for a return to Kerbin.  I managed to get into a very high Kerbin orbit and even tried to get out and push.

I sent this to push the capsule into a reentry orbit.

Unfortunately I messed up on my math (reckless guesstimates) and was just short of the delta v I needed to reach Raygun.  I required sleep and the rescue attempts will have to continue later.  I am determined to retrieve all the science stored in that command pod.  I really like having the ability to collect the data from my experiments and dump the "service module" for a lightweight capsule reentry.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#43]
New and improved rescue ship on the way:

Perfect fit:

Goodbye:

Reentry!

Safely splashed down:

Then I went into sandbox mode and built a space plane.  Into orbit and safely landed on the runway.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I started playing again.   been messing around in career.

I also deleted all my old saves, I'm going to play sandbox with no mods.    I may put the mod in for mapping planets but thats it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Statlor 2, the replacement space station, at ~251km over the surface:

Crew lift vehicle for Statlor 2:

This is getting easy

Link Posted: 12/20/2013 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not seeing any pics, I think those google image links are set to private.
View All Quotes

From the insane spaceplane division:

Link Posted: 12/20/2013 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

I have to build one of those tonight as well.

Im also ashamed to say that I lost a crew, (well I had to cheat to keep them alive) carrying that stupid fucking science box halfway across the galaxy for absolutely no reason... I love those goofy little bastards, im sad...

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Statlor 2's fuel tank is now in place. I think I'll send up an empty tank or two to dock for storage; the lift vehicle I use for the orange tank gets the tank into orbit with about 33% remaining on the lateral thrust tanks post-docking, without touching the payload fuel; this means I can deorbit the empty tank.

Here's the lift vehicle for the storage tanks, with the tanks empty:

Great shot mid flight of the atmosphere:

The lift vehicle has too much fuel. I still have fuel left on the lift stage with an Ap at target altitude . This resulted in one of my smoothest intercepts to date, with a perfect trajectory on to docking, using less than 40 units of fuel with an LVT-45 on the orbital stage:

Following the attachment of the dual storage tanks and the transfer of its payload, the Fueldor series unmanned craft prepares to deorbit:

Had enough fuel on board to throttle it up, press 2 to turn the engines on, and switch to the Station to watch it leave on its path to reentry (left of center):

And with the addition of my RCS tug, the station's right tank is no longer crooked:

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Do you even lift?

Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top