Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 41
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Been playing KSP again. So far career mode is enjoyable enough. just got back from a science mission to Minmus in a MIRV style lander.

I thought this picture was awesome:

Link Posted: 12/27/2013 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Tomfoolery bump.

e: After some screwing around with infinite fuel and a mainsail, a re-entry speed of 56km/s resulted in a 456m/s impact at 319m ASL.

This one:

Did this:

And splashed at 548.7m/s in the ocean.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what it is but .22 and .23 have made this game lag like a motherfucker on my computer, and thats with everything turned down low
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know what it is but .22 and .23 have made this game lag like a motherfucker on my computer, and thats with everything turned down low
View Quote

Maybe clean up some of your debris?
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

When they updated did you do a clean install?  I have to make sure I go into the game folder and manually remove everything and have steam re-install, otherwise some old files may hang around and cause things to be wonky.  Also, if you are running out of RAM there are some texture reduction packs that work wonders (link), especially if you want to use multiple parts mods like KW & B9, which also have their own reduction packs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, the science lab module is the most worthless POS ever.  +16% science when transmitting... who cares?
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK, the science lab module is the most worthless POS ever.  +16% science when transmitting... who cares?
View Quote

But it looks like it belongs on a space station, and that's the important part!
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Being able to clean out the experiments and reuse them seems to be the biggest perk of the lab.

ETA: I have been planning on using it like this: Collect science from Mun with reusable lander, go to Mun space station w/ lab, transfer experiments to small return capsule, send back to Kerbin, clean experiments and repeat in different biome, send another tanker/return capsule to station, ???,  profit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Forgot to take a bunch of pictures.

Made myself a space train!

Had a mishap resulting in the destruction of two of the giant panels on lift to dock with the train, but I compensated for it with a rotation:

Group photo, except for Geoffrey who's flying it:

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#10]
%40 off on Steam for the next 23 hours.  At $16.19.

FYI
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#11]
just tag for better knowledge
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Some recent pics

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I am using the Universe Replacer mod and I believe the texture pack for the background is Rareden's Skybox. For the planets and moons I used a few different texturepacks. It certain makes the game much better!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally got around to doing a manned science mission to Moho and back. Getting a tiny capsule there is not too hard, but getting a medium heavy lander with science gear there and back took a bit of work. Had to use an Eve gravity assist to get back, making the mission take almost 2 years, but everything worked out in the end!

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/IommE

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I ended up having to go backwards to .21 to get everything working great again.   Of course i accidently deleted my old saves
Not a big deal as i wanted to start over anyways,  but i was liking career mode.    

I found an old version of .17 on my computer.    Oh how far we've come!
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#18]
To Minmus and back.
The latest update drastically improved my frame rate and seems to have fixed the crashes associated with turning the video settings up too high. I am now playing in 1920x1200 with EVERYTHING turned all the way up AND using some high res texture packs with the universe replacer mod.
The lab is worthless but it looks the part so I have it stuck on there along with 4 of everything sciency.
I know I missed plenty of opportunities to use the moon and aero breaking to reduce my fuel consumption but I had sooo much available I didn't bother.
Ill come back and imbed properly once I buy a membership.

As promised.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To Minmus and back.
The latest update drastically improved my frame rate and seems to have fixed the crashes associated with turning the video settings up too high. I am now playing in 1920x1200 with EVERYTHING turned all the way up AND using some high res texture packs with the universe replacer mod.
The lab is worthless but it looks the part so I have it stuck on there along with 4 of everything sciency.
I know I missed plenty of opportunities to use the moon and aero breaking to reduce my fuel consumption but I had sooo much available I didn't bother.
View Quote

...That was an excessively large launch.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To Minmus and back.
View Quote

holy huge ship man

figured you were going to duna or eve with that much fuel
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone have a good alternative to Quantum Struts now that it's dead?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Stock hybrid rocket engine is a big plus.  Now they just need to add stock heavy/tall landing gear.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

That guy gets me rolling.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm still crashing everything I build. I need to knuckle down and take it more seriously if I'm ever going to get to the Mun.

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm still crashing everything I build. I need to knuckle down and take it more seriously if I'm ever going to get to the Mun.

View Quote

when I first started I didn't watch any videos or read anything, it took forever to get into orbit.   I could get out of kerbin system or at least into space, but it took me a bit to learn how to get stable, consistent orbits.   After that it got easier, but it still took me a lot of tries to reach mun, land and get back safely.  I started watching videos after that and I probably should have done it sooner, they help cover the basics and you'll save a ton of fuel
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

when I first started I didn't watch any videos or read anything, it took forever to get into orbit.   I could get out of kerbin system or at least into space, but it took me a bit to learn how to get stable, consistent orbits.   After that it got easier, but it still took me a lot of tries to reach mun, land and get back safely.  I started watching videos after that and I probably should have done it sooner, they help cover the basics and you'll save a ton of fuel
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you're right. I've tried to watch a few of the videos but I didn't really pay attention.

I learned everything I know from watching Day9 play it, he must have killed Jebediah Kerman a dozen times.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, you're right. I've tried to watch a few of the videos but I didn't really pay attention.

I learned everything I know from watching Day9 play it, he must have killed Jebediah Kerman a dozen times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

once you get the basics down its amazing what you'll do.  

like I said I struggled and struggled to get to mun, then it clicked and I was putting satellites around every planet and moon, dropping rovers and landers where ever I wanted.  

The only thing I have yet to do it build a really good long distance ship.   I have yet to reach moho or eeloo (spelling?)
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bit old.

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#30]
This game is EVIL. I can literally sit an play it for 10+ hours at a time and not even know it. Im currently trying to get a rescue mission out to a craft that I have stranded out between kerbin and eve after a failed return from duna. I think my guys may not make it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This game is EVIL. I can literally sit an play it for 10+ hours at a time and not even know it. Im currently trying to get a rescue mission out to a craft that I have stranded out between kerbin and eve after a failed return from duna. I think my guys may not make it.
View Quote

Sometimes, you have to just hit the TERMINATE button.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I have been playing with the KSP Interstellar mod lately (along with KW).  It has been rather fun, still trying to figure things out and unlock more parts.

Trip to Jool and Laythe for science.  Not using many KSP Interstellar parts with this, but I am trying to get a bunch of science with big manned spacecraft instead of probes.  I did the same thing with Duna and a smaller spacecraft, but the screenshots disappeared somewhere.

Jool Aerocapture

Over Laythe, had to use the atmosphere for more aerobraking so that I didn't end up getting slung out into deep space.

A space station made out of flawed designs and the propulsion segment from my Jool expedition.  Lots of left over fuel that will come in handy later on.

Finally a proper ship with some advanced technology.  I went to Duna because it was lined up perfectly at launch, but I should have waited for another planet since I have gathered most of the science from Duna.  The science module gathers about 1/2 a science point per day.

Duna Aerobraking.  Got this far with chemical rockets.

Radiators open and using the Plasma engine to lower my orbit.  This thing has tons of delta v spread over days of time for a whopping thrust of 1.

Ended up with an Ike encounter, managed to slow down enough for capture.  Lots of waiting.  I could get these guys anywhere in the system, but I don't have the patience for that, they may end up hitching a ride back on something with a little more thrust.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got everything unlocked now and now I'm trying to put a rover on every planetoid in the system.   I fucked up and sent a manned lander on a half-assed transfer to Moho.   I got there, but just barely had enough fuel to make orbit.   Jeb had to wait for a gas truck to show up before he could leave again, and even then he only had enough gas to get to Eve.  Fortunately there was enough fuel in orbit around Eve that he could refuel and get back home.

Now I've got a rover and a couple tankers in Jool system, readying a rover landing for Vall.

I also dusted off the Tiberdyne space shuttle mod and I'm enjoying using that to ferry shit up to my Kerbin stations.

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#36]
They posted this on facebook and it cracked me up, especially since I'm still in the "Wow, I'm in orbit!" stage while you assholes are colonizing galaxies.

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

"Oh, it works!" <beat> "Fuck..."
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Got to the Mun and back!
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They posted this on facebook and it cracked me up, especially since I'm still in the "Wow, I'm in orbit!" stage while you assholes are colonizing galaxies.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/fivespeedf150/1511110_723099847709242_1061191953_n_zpsbf3a78f0.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm starting a new Career with Farrem and B9.

Already this far:

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#41]
I had quite a dramatic mission to Jool.  I had just unlocked the Fusion Engine (KSP Interstellar) and once in Kerbin orbit I had about 25k in delta v to play with.  The original plan was to end up in low orbit of everything in the Joolian system.

Everything was going well until I ended up getting a phone call while time warping.  When I got back to the game I found myself entering Jool's atmosphere.  Not good.  Also, no quick save since launch, I was about to start over, but I am glad I didn't.

My TWR was .99, so I used some RCS fuel to get above 1.  At this point my altitude was 35km.  I managed to get a nice chunk of science while "flying over Jool".

Gravity turn over Jool.  It took me over 10k in delta v to get back into orbit.  I couldn't believe I made it.

Laythe flyby.  At this point fuel was starting to run a bit low, so orbit was not an option.

Managed a Tylo flyby on my way out.

Got back with no fuel to spare.  It wasn't the fuel for my engine that ran out first, but the UH4 for my reactor.  I had added some extra UH4 tanks, but they weren't connected to the reactor and it wouldn't allow me to transfer the resources.  Luckily it ran out right after my mid course correction and I had enough RCS to point myself at a landing spot in the ocean near KSC.

Splashdown.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Short trip to Minmus netted 402 science.

After discovering that there are no fairings, I added KW Rocketry. I'm almost up to Scott Manley's mod level

The above probe went to the Mun!

So, I did this:

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#43]
And now, a special surprise in a 2.5m fairing; disregard the catastrophic failure, this is about the same rocket I sent up:

I borked up and forgot to put a decoupler and chutes on the main pod, and ran out of fuel, so I'm doing RCS burns and aerobraking to put it in a reachable orbit for recovery of crew.

Ripped off the lander and slapped a probe core under the docking port, as well as adding some components, resulting in a successful dock:

Cinematic separation after retrograde burn to deorbit the ship:

Starting to break through the atmosphere:

Safe return of crew to Kerbin, to recover surface samples and data:

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
And now, a special surprise in a 2.5m fairing; disregard the catastrophic failure, this is about the same rocket I sent up:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot163_zpsb7a93741.png

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot16_zps29193c40.png

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot18_zps1ca38caa.png

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot19_zpsb728607c.png

I borked up and forgot to put a decoupler and chutes on the main pod, and ran out of fuel, so I'm doing RCS burns and aerobraking to put it in a reachable orbit for recovery of crew.

Ripped off the lander and slapped a probe core under the docking port, as well as adding some components, resulting in a successful dock:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot20_zps7b49693f.png

Cinematic separation after retrograde burn to deorbit the ship:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot22_zps0dfcd94a.png

Starting to break through the atmosphere:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot23_zps56131bb3.png

Safe return of crew to Kerbin, to recover surface samples and data:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GrinPhotoDump/KSP/screenshot24_zps8fb597a1.png
View Quote

pretty
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Got to the Mun and back!
View Quote
Pretty gratifying the first time you do that.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
~snip pictures of the pretty~
View Quote

pretty!

I'm gonna need a new response to pics in this thread...
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Munar refuler ship.  Docks with Mun Base and is designed to transfer Kerbals, fuel and RCS to orbiting ships

300 ton SSTO sits ready for orbit on the runway

Meanwhile at the KSS (Kerbal Space Station)...

Kethane rover is ready to be unloaded.  Includes 2x drills and 7200 capacity kethane tanks

Rover is transferred to the ISP which will deliver it to the Mun

ISP lands at Mun Base

Rover begins drilling

ISP heads back to KSS

When Rover's Kethane tanks are full it can dock with the base to deliver the Kethane which inturn is processed into fuel and RCS
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot538_zps1866ba0d.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot538_zps1866ba0d.png</a>

<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot554_zpseafce3fb.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot554_zpseafce3fb.png</a>

<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot565_zps029d70ac.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot565_zps029d70ac.png</a>

Munar refuler ship.  Docks with Mun Base and is designed to transfer Kerbals, fuel and RCS to orbiting ships
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot566_zps17ebee7f.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot566_zps17ebee7f.png</a>

300 ton SSTO sits ready for orbit on the runway
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot433_zps1a688452.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot433_zps1a688452.png</a>

<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot450_zps1e87b34c.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot450_zps1e87b34c.png</a>

Meanwhile at the KSS (Kerbal Space Station)...
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot503_zpsef425a5f.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot503_zpsef425a5f.png</a>

Kethane rover is ready to be unloaded.  Includes 2x drills and 7200 capacity kethane tanks
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot580_zpsd727b3f3.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot580_zpsd727b3f3.png</a>

Rover is transferred to the ISP which will deliver it to the Mun
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot584_zpse46b35ec.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot584_zpse46b35ec.png</a>

<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot587_zpse5dee7d3.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot587_zpse5dee7d3.png</a>

<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot592_zps24744f92.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot592_zps24744f92.png</a>

ISP lands at Mun Base
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot595_zps519f1f38.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot595_zps519f1f38.png</a>

<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot609_zpsf7a93d2e.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot609_zpsf7a93d2e.png</a>

Rover begins drilling
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot576_zps11488464.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot576_zps11488464.png</a>

ISP heads back to KSS
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot601_zps1e136abb.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot601_zps1e136abb.png</a>

When Rover's Kethane tanks are full it can dock with the base to deliver the Kethane which inturn is processed into fuel and RCS
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/bluejames19/media/screenshot574_zpsadd8d7f0.png.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/screenshot574_zpsadd8d7f0.png</a>
View Quote

I think you just beat the game.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no shit, damn
Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top