Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2012 4:31:34 AM EDT
Wife and I are thinking it would be a good alternative to a tablet. We have a fullsize laptop and desktop already.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

tag

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:21:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Google sent me one of their prototype devices a while back.  My son uses it to surf the web, it's not good for much more, and it's not really a tablet replacement.  Personally, I don't see the use for them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#4]
A Chromebook does not have the same functionality as a tablet. It's a cheap laptop that (basically) runs off the Internet. If you want a tablet, get a tablet.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Some of the middle-tier 10" tablets have keyboard functionality (ie a clip on or attachable keyboard) for when you need it.

For standard browsing, impromtu photos, etc - tablets work quite well.   They're also rather portable.

Bought my wife an ASUS TF300 tablet and she's quite happy with it.   Laptop is now relegated to the occasional work-related task.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive read a few articles about guys toggling the dev swithc and loading ubuntu
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm seriously considering one. Everything I do is either on the internet or I'm trying to get it on the internet. Movies, music, documents, apps, websites — why use my storage space when I can have everything safely backed up by multiple resources online? I'm an android and chrome-user so I'm a huge googlephile already. The ChromeOS is essentially a chrome browser installed on a machine with typical desktop UI.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:21:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Gave one to the wife (She Who Slays Computers).

She uses it for what most people use a computer for.  Surf the web, email, basic word and Xcel apps (via Google docs).  It boots very quickly and has been very reliable so far (3months).  The charger connection on it (a weakness on many laptops) is robust enough to survive rough handling.  It is light and has a decent battery life (approx. 6hrs).

If you have wireless internet available at all times (the thing is next to useless without internet access) then I don't see how you can beat them for 250 bucks.

The Samsung Chromebook even has a decent keyboard on it.

Downsides?  Whatever you do or save to the Cloud storage is about as "secure" and "private" as whispering through a megaphone in public.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#9]
There's an Acer Chromebook for $199 and a Samsung for $249. What's the difference?
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There's an Acer Chromebook for $199 and a Samsung for $249. What's the difference?

http://www.chromebookspecs.com/acer-vs-samsung-chromebook.html
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can say the Samsung keyboard is not bad and the trackpad works properly.  I would play with both but my guess is you would spend the extra 50 bucks on the Samsung.

If you have kids and kids will be using it then take a good long look at how fragile the connection is from the battery charger into the system.  

DO YOU HEAR ME KINDLE?  The Kindle is an example of what not to do in that department.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Google sent me one of their prototype devices a while back.  My son uses it to surf the web, it's not good for much more, and it's not really a tablet replacement.  Personally, I don't see the use for them.

Everything he just said.

Bulk of a LT, functionality of a tablet. The only thing they do better than tablets is type.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought three, one for each of the kids. Goal is to keep them off my wifes laptop. I spent alot of time reading reviews and arguing with myself about security and the way these thing operate. I found a VBox images that would allow me to try out the OS. After that, I was sold. The kids already do almost everything in Chrome and google docs. And at $250 a pop, theyre a steal.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 4:46:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I just bought the $249 one at Best Buy this morning, only one location in town had it.

Charging it up now.

I plan on keeping it on the workbench out in the garage to surf the net with and watch movies on while puttering out there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:12:51 AM EDT
[#15]
It has a nice display and keyboard.

Crappy camera work, but the display is nice and sharp.

Also has HDMI out, so when we visit the mother in law for Christmas, can hook it to the big TV and stream movies to it.

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#16]
$250-$300 buys a regular laptop.

I bought a laptop with a 17watt dual core intel proc (it's a crippled i3, not an "Atom") for $250 and spent an extra $100 on an SSD.
Then I dropped another $15 on a Win8 upgrade.

This laptop is cheap and fast, I love it. I use it for work and play.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

$250-$300 buys a regular laptop.

I bought a laptop with a 17watt dual core intel proc (it's a crippled i3, not an "Atom") for $250 and spent an extra $100 on an SSD.

Then I dropped another $15 on a Win8 upgrade.

This laptop is cheap and fast, I love it. I use it for work and play.

Yeah, but does it boot in 2 seconds?

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Got the Samsung one for the GF.  It is good for general web browsing and apps through the chrome store.

Light, fast to boot, and just done right for the intended purpose.

If it can't find wifi it's useless.  

There is an annoying bug where you have to reboot the wifi adapter every once in a while, but it takes seconds and is expected to be fixed with the next update.
It's new..  I actually preordered.  There will always be a couple of bugs at launch.

If you are considering one think of it more as a tablet with a nice screen and a full keyboard rather that a laptop.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#19]
So I sitting at mine at the workbench in the detached garage right now while I keep an eye on the ribs on the smoker.

This thing is perfect for this type of application.

I really like keyboard on this thing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Just set up google cloud print to print to my wireless printer from this thing, that is pretty cool.

Although, knowing google, they are scanning every document you send through cloud print to learn more about you and sell that info.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Found on the web how to get this thing into developer mode so I can get a bash shell on it.

I didn't realize Chrome OS was built on top of linux.

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Tag

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#23]
No network drive access is lame.

Come on google, get that shit in there.

I do have a router based NAS I can hit with a web interface.

Kludgy, but it works for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top