Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2012 8:58:04 AM EDT
One of my favorite relatives brought home a Mosin Nagant from Vietnam.  He says that he carried it on the plane home, and still has the paperwork.  

They found a cache of NVA weapons.  He asked what they were going to with them.  The command said that that were about to be destroyed.  So he asked if he could pull out a rifle, and they gave him some sort of paperwork, and let him take it home.  

It has some sort of Chinese markings on it, has a hex receiver, and it's missing the front site.  

Other than the obvious sentimental value, is this worth anything?  Seems like the paperwork from Vietnam should make it worth a bit more.  

Any advice for keeping this rifle?  Do you think he should have this restored?  

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how the front sight will affect value.

If it is a bringback it probably won't have import markings and that might add some value to it.

Have any pictures?
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I am no expert in the field, but my initial though is leave it as is and retain the bring back paperwork.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I am no expert in the field, but my initial though is leave it as is and retain the bring back paperwork.

This.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah with literally 17 million made, they aren't rare but bring backs are a little more so.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll see if I can get some photos off of my phone.  

It's certainly an interesting story -- bringing a long rifle as a carry-on on an international flight.  

Back in the 1960's they were more concerned with beverages than security.  

Nowadays you can get arrested for bringing nail clippers.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There's an ammoman joke in here somewhere.  

here we go again!
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  

yup

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

other than oiling.....
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Type 53. It's one the most common papered Bringbacks from VN.  With paperwork and considering the condition, worth maybe $400.

Also, leave it alone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hero to zero in one deal swoop!
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd replace the front sight and lightly clean/oil the metal

Would make a neat display gun
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a k98k with 1966 Vietnam bring back papers.  I know: CSB.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Are servicemen still allowed to bring back weapons from Iraq/Afghanistan?
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'll see if I can get some photos off of my phone.  

It's certainly an interesting story -- bringing a long rifle as a carry-on on an international flight.  

Back in the 1960's they were more concerned with beverages than security.  

Nowadays you can get arrested for bringing nail clippers.  

I carried rifles onto aircraft many times in the late 60s early 70s, no big deal, the Stewardess would show you where the vertical storage was and off you went.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

HAHAHAHAHABAHAHAHA. No, war trophies are only taken by uncivilized barbarians and the .mil is a fine group of upstanding peacekeepers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Hex receiver on a Chinese M44?
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't "restore" it, display it!

Build a display box for it-something like a "shadow box", and use burlap instead of velvet (actually, use what you want, but that's what I'd use).

Apply some oil to the metal parts to prevent corrosion-or even further corrosion if it has any-and keep it the way it was found.  Don't sand the wood.  Don't "reblue" the metal.

You could add the front sight if you wanted, but there's something unique and more interesting about keeping it just the way he found it at that moment in time, in that far-away land.  I think I'd leave it as is.

I wouldn't sell it if it were me, either.  It should stay in the family.

Not many people out of over 300,000,000 million citizens in this country has what he does.  It's comparatively rare indeed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So where can I find a front sight?  

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd look on gunbroker.  Lot's of T53 in the country.  A high percentage of them were sold as "parts" rifles.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah with literally 17 million made, they aren't rare but bring backs are a little more so.

A lot more so. The rifle is probably worth 100-150 without the papers, and I bet with them he could get 2-3 times that.

Do not restore it. Maybe get a front sight since its missing, other than that leave it alone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ESPECIALLY the paperwork!  This increases the value exponentially over imports.  Consider replacing the front sight with a period piece as long as it matches closely.  DO NOT restore it!
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Does someone make a nice display case kit suitable for one these?  That would make a nice Christmas present...  

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd look on gunbroker.  Lot's of T53 in the country.  A high percentage of them were sold as "parts" rifles.  
yeah, most of these imported were beat to hell, seen the whole guns as low as $40

buymilsurp.com has M44 sights for $16 that should work, but I'd look for Chinese.

Maybe give Numrich a call (their search function is worthless) or post a wtb on gunboards.com, I know one would pop up there.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

I have a Martini-Henry I brought back from Afghanistan. At first I was convinced it is a Khyber Pass copy (99.9% are), but a local M-H collector is convinced it is a gen-u-wine M-H Mark II.

One of our locals got me the hook-up and the dealer actually went in the back for this one - he told me the one's on the table outside were "not good".

I dealt with the dumbasses at MP Customs (which is what JAG called them) and mailed it home.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The ride back to The World wasn't  on a standard commercial flight.
It was either a charter or a military aircraft
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Doesn't RustedAce have some (C&R) bringbacks? With Paki-tape?

Keep the papers, they will add value.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As of a few years ago they could if it was a antique. I picked-up a 3-band Enfield/Snider conversion form a vet.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

I have a Martini-Henry I brought back from Afghanistan. At first I was convinced it is a Khyber Pass copy (99.9% are), but a local M-H collector is convinced it is a gen-u-wine M-H Mark II.

One of our locals got me the hook-up and the dealer actually went in the back for this one - he told me the one's on the table outside were "not good".

I dealt with the dumbasses at MP Customs (which is what JAG called them) and mailed it home.

Well ... post some pictures!

The thing is, it's so long...

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Well ... post some pictures!

The thing is, it's so long...

That's what she said.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Drat!! Can't get the photo linky to work from Picasa...

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#37]
One of my favorite relatives brought home a Mosin Nagant from Vietnam. He says that he carried it on the plane home, and still has the paperwork.
They found a cache of NVA weapons. He asked what they were going to with them. The command said that that were about to be destroyed. So he asked if he could pull out a rifle, and they gave him some sort of paperwork, and let him take it home.

It has some sort of Chinese markings on it, has a hex receiver, and it's missing the front site.

Other than the obvious sentimental value, is this worth anything? Seems like the paperwork from Vietnam should make it worth a bit more.

Any advice for keeping this rifle? Do you think he should have this restored?

I have been collecting Vietnam bringback guns and militaria since I was a kid in the '60s. I can without bravado, or false modesty, say that I know the subject well. Over the last 40 years I have personally examined and handled many hundreds of rifles and pistols brought-back from Vietnam. Of all sorts and types: Russian 1944 and Chicom Type 53 Mosin carbines, SKSs, Mausers, French MAS rifles, 91/30 snipers, Lebels, '03 Springfields, handmade "jungle workshop" pieces and many more. Lots of pistols but primarily Type 51 and 54 Tokarevs. Of all the many firearm and military subjects that fascinate me, the guns and the souvenirs our guys brought home from Vietnam hold a special part of my heart and mind. I really do know the subject inside and out.

As others have stated, if the rifle in question has Chinese markings it is most likely a Chinese Type 53 Mosin, but your comment that the rifle has a "hex receiver" is problematic. The Type 53, like most Mosins made after 1936, has the more common "round" receiver. The T53 will be found dated from 1953-1956 and 1960. Does the piece have the folding bayonet (or the fittings for same)? The best web sites for Mosins are Vic and Tuco's Gun Boards forum (and also the reference section at: http://mosinnagant.net/ and Ted's forum and reference pages:  http://7.62x54r.net/

Whatever you have the most important thing to do is..............................NOTHING. No restoration. No added parts. No refinishing. Nothing. Take a cloth, spray it lightly with a simple gun oil or WD-40 and wipe the piece down. That's it. Keep it in a "friendly" environment without drastic swings in temperature and humidty. Keep it out of the sun light or any strong light source. Place the "capture papers" in acid free, archival safe cover sheets. The papers are especially sensitive to heat and light so avoid heat and light.

A papered Type 53 bringback does not have great monetary value...perhaps $400 on the low side and twice that on the high side, but it has much intrinsic value as a piece of history. It deserves preservation and conservation. Please don't try to "improve" it. Please.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I Remember that! LOL!
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Make it a wall hanger. Frame the paperwork and hang it below the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does someone make a nice display case kit suitable for one these?  That would make a nice Christmas present...  

I could but not by Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  

Yup. For a mosin it wouldn't add a whole lot of value.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Take good care of the bring back paperwork, could be worth more than the gun to the right person.

If the right person comes along and makes an offer, consider how that gun could join others as a collection of historic weapons.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm going to be the voice of reason here.

Find a front sight (gun parts.com), take it to the range, make sure the bore is clear and shoot it together.

It's cool its a bring back but it's also a gun they were designed and built to be shot.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#46]
The paperwork, with the gun, is worth more than the gun. Like someone else said, without the paperwork it's a $150 or so value gun. With the paperwork it's up to $300 to $500, depending on condition and the exact market where and when he sells it.

If he plans to sell it, leave it absolutely "as is" now.

If he's going to shoot it, replace the front sight, but do nothing else.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Most of what needs to be said has been said.  The values are right on - $400 to $$600 for a plain T53 with papers.  maybe $800 on a good day if the papers are to a very special unit, but the market is pretty soft right now.  If it had been drilled for a grenade launcher, maybe a tad more, but not much without the GL sight.  I also agree with the gentleman from NY that no "restoration" should be done. I've got several pieces in my collection that someone decided to "restore" and the "restoration" sucked the value right out of the pieces.  

There will always be the differences between the shooters and collectors.  I personally don't shoot any of the weapons in my collection, but that's me.  I have a couple stored with my son in Oklahoma and I know that he shoots them sparingly, he just won't admit it.  

However, I do not display any of the original capture documents with any of my weapons.  I display copies, and store the originals safely away, out of the sun and UV light.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Which forces in Vietnam used a Mosin Nagant?

Also, why is the hell was that particular rifle pulled out? I would think an AK or an SKS would be what was available. They certainly
would be worth more, not to mention, more practical to actually shoot.

Oh well, still cool any way you slice it.

I wore my dads army boots as a teen- they don't fit me anymore, but I still have them. I have his unit patch too.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 4:37:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Which forces in Vietnam used a Mosin Nagant?

Also, why is the hell was that particular rifle pulled out? I would think an AK or an SKS would be what was available. They certainly

would be worth more, not to mention, more practical to actually shoot.

Oh well, still cool any way you slice it.

I wore my dads army boots as a teen- they don't fit me anymore, but I still have them. I have his unit patch too.

Where would you get 7.62x39mm in the 1960s and early 70s (1960-1972)?

Russian M44s (and Warsaw Pact copies) and PRC Type 53 Mosin-Nagant carbines were very popular bring-backs during the Vietnam War because you could get ammunition for them. 7.62x54R was the second most popular dear cartridge in the US through the 1930s thanks to the barrels of surplus US-made Mosins in country hardware stores (and all the ammo we loaded for the Czar and never delivered) and places like Interarms would still get it and sell it.

Actually Winchester and Remington loaded 762x54R right into the '30s. And alot of old Mosins were converted to .30'06...

They were extensively used by National Liberation Front (NLF aka "Viet-Cong") local guerrilla forces.

SKS were eligible for bring back but 7.62x39mm ammunition was basically unavailable in the US until Chinese firearms and ammunition started getting imported in the 1980s. So an SKS was an interesting wall-hanger.

AKs were never approved for bring-back. If someone snuck one back before the '68 amnesty there basically wasn't any ammunition, spare parts or magazines until the early 1980s (unless you were an international wheeler- dealer type) and there was no Internet to find them with.

People who wanted to bring back trophies mostly wanted guns they could shoot. SKS's and TT-33s were seen as just curiosities.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Where would you get 7.62x39mm in the 1960s and early 70s (1960-1972)?

From Finland.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top