Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/30/2012 5:13:29 PM EDT
What's the opinion on these ?

I am using a beat up 10/22 with broken rear leaf sight. Wish me luck.

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Here is the rear. I had planned on replacing sights, but ran out of time.

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
They're fun. I RSOed one.

They are more for less experienced shooters. You will hear some fun historical stories.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you plan on hitting a target with broken sights?
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]

The ghetto gun.

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's an appleseed shoot. You could have no sights and still shoot average.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Was gonna try this.

A deprimed 223 cut in half and taped onto receiver.  It seemed to work well.

Then I took the gun to a range and it worked ok with rear sight as is.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, they teach you how to shoot with your eyes closed........ NPOA tests.

Patch, you'll like it.  It's a good focus on the basics of marksmanship.  I try to do one every year to stay current and take a new shooter along too.  They are not a competition, but still a lot of fun and you will likely learn a lot no matter what grade of shooter you are.  
You got a sling?

Bring a mat to lie on, elbowpads, ibuprofrin, etc, etc.

I cleaned house with my shitty Marlin 795 all taped up.  Thats it to the right in this pic.

Oh. here is my wife in her first applseed.

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]

This was where it shot at the range. Couldnt really adjust , so just Kentucky windaged it on he next target.

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]
"guessing" where to aim to get the impact into the tape.

25 yards.

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Have fun!  That Rifleman rank and patch are harder to earn than 87% of Arfcom believes.

Replace that busted sight with a set of TechSites, and oh yeah, a sling for your rifle is helpful for this style of shooting.

And yeah, mat to lie on, elbow pads, at least two mags, 500 rnds of .22, water, open mind, etc.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, they teach you how to shoot with your eyes closed........ NPOA tests.

Patch, you'll like it.  It's a good focus on the basics of marksmanship.  I try to do one every year to stay current and take a new shooter along too.  They are not a competition, but still a lot of fun and you will likely learn a lot no matter what grade of shooter you are.  
You got a sling?

Bring a mat to lie on, elbowpads, ibuprofrin, etc, etc.

I cleaned house with my shitty Marlin 795 all taped up.  Thats it to the right in this pic.

Oh. here is my wife in her first applseed.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/eikv0g.jpg

Cleaned house, guess so look at the size of that scope! I have aways considered myself an above average "shot" but Appleseed humbled me! Here is a link to a reveiw I did about my Appleseed experience.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471262

If your shoot is tomorrow then you are very unprepaired! The most important thing you better bring tomorrow is a good attitude and sense of humor.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a blast at mine.  Good luck man.

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you serious?  Why would you not simply drop a cheap scope on it?   $8 base, $10 rings, $25 scope.....
If you were only shooting at a single target, you may be able to get by with Kentucky windage.  The course of fire is designed to force you to change your Natural Point of Aim by shooting several different targets during each relay on the course of fire.  Kentucky windage quickly reveals its limitations.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They are more for less experienced shooters. .

Not at all true.  We have had Distinguished High Power shooters attend and enjoy the day.  Scores of very experienced shooters have attended and enjoyed themselves. The drills are valuable to most everyone.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all true.  We have had Distinguished High Power shooters attend and enjoy the day.  Scores of very experienced shooters have attended and enjoyed themselves. The drills are valuable to most everyone.  

+1 Appleseed shows alot of people they are less experienced shooters.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The most important thing you better bring tomorrow is a good attitude and sense of humor.

If he is seriously considering attending with that rifle, he already has plenty of both...  

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you serious?  Why would you not simply drop a cheap scope on it?   $8 base, $10 rings, $25 scope.....

Chances are that a helpful Appleseed volunteer will have a few spare 10/22 parts.  Don't sweat the details patch.  As was said, attitude and wilingness to learn is the main requirement.  Software> hardware.  The highest scoring guns Are 4Moa guns on a good day.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were only shooting at a single target, you may be able to get by with Kentucky windage.  The course of fire is designed to force you to change your Natural Point of Aim by shooting several different targets during each relay on the course of fire.  Kentucky windage quickly reveals its limitations.  

I just need to aim about an inch low and right.

Should be easy.

I actually just took my scope and mount off for this.

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  
Chances are that a helpful Appleseed volunteer will have a few spare 10/22 parts.  Don't sweat the details patch.  As was said, attitude and wilingness to learn is the main requirement.  Software> hardware.

I comprehend the spirit of what you are saying.  I am an Appleseed Instructor.   Rear (or front) 10/22 sights are not usually in the average instructor's spare parts bin (although they are in mine).  It is far more likely that someone would have a complete loaner rifle on hand but in large shoots they are used up quickly.  A boogered up rifle can seriously dampen your experience.    

Quoted:
The highest scoring guns Are 4Moa guns on a good day.

This is not at all true.  I have yet to see a factory 10/22 which would not shoot sub 2MOA.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a hbar 20" ar15 for backup if things don't work.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just need to aim about an inch low and right.

Should be easy.

I actually just took my scope and mount off for this.

It will be relatively easy on the larger targets but the prone slow fire targets are guaranteed to be elusive for you.
So long as you are content with that level of precision, you will enjoy your day.  I know other people who deliberately brought a messed up rifle just to show that they could do it.  None of them could shoot Rifleman with them but they got close.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Appleseed shows alot of people they are less experienced shooters.

That's kinda what I meant. They aren't really going to be going over anything that advanced. Mostly just the basics. If you have never had any formal training that goes over the basics (or have never picked them up along the way), you are a less experienced shooter.

If a distinguished shooter is going to these, they probably like it as a social event. They probably won't be getting much out of it beyond that, other than practice (which is always good, but going to an appleseed event is not necessary to do that)
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a hbar 20" ar15 for backup if things don't work.

Perfect.   Expect to fire between 200 and 300 rounds per day depending on the capability of the group and how fast the Shoot Boss goes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If a distinguished shooter is going to these, they probably like it as a social event. They probably won't be getting much out of it beyond that, other than practice (which is always good, but going to an appleseed event is not necessary to do that)

It is always helpful to have others watch your technique as they may see things which you are oblivious to.  You are not forced to take the advice, but if you keep an open mind, even very experienced shooters can take something helpful away with them after a weekend.  The Marine Corps is the only branch which has maintained High Power style shooting positions for rifle qual.  We qualify every year out to 500.  I have yet to meet a Marine who claims that they learned nothing at an Appleseed.  I have yet to meet an experienced  High Power shooter who poo pooed Appleseed after attending a weekend.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#25]
They are a blast but you will struggle mightily with that craptastic sight. If you're lucky one of the instructors will have a rifle you can borrow. Hopefully you have a few spare mags.

Get Tech Sights for the 10/22. After owning a few I'd suggest the TSR100. The rear aperture will be more stable and accurate than the TSR200.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:  
Chances are that a helpful Appleseed volunteer will have a few spare 10/22 parts.  Don't sweat the details patch.  As was said, attitude and wilingness to learn is the main requirement.  Software> hardware.

I comprehend the spirit of what you are saying.  I am an Appleseed Instructor.   Rear (or front) 10/22 sights are not usually in the average instructor's spare parts bin (although they are in mine).  It is far more likely that someone would have a complete loaner rifle on hand but in large shoots they are used up quickly.  A boogered up rifle can seriously dampen your experience.    

Quoted:
The highest scoring guns Are 4Moa guns on a good day.

This is not at all true.  I have yet to see a factory 10/22 which would not shoot sub 2MOA.  

My experience,mand my wife's ( orange hat    ) was opposite.  And we fired about 400-500 / day.  Not saying you are wrong at all.

But yeah, she had a s&w factory pro on the line.  Got outshot by a kid who listened to the instructors
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Going to my 4th Appleseed tomorrow, rifleman or bust. The last two I attended I have been within single digits of making the cut.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Going to my 4th Appleseed tomorrow, rifleman or bust. The last two I attended I have been within single digits of making the cut.

That's the spirit!
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My experience,mand my wife's ( orange hat    ) was opposite.  And we fired about 400-500 / day.  Not saying you are wrong at all.

But yeah, she had a s&w factory pro on the line.  Got outshot by a kid who listened to the instructors

Where did you shoot at an Appleseed with a 800 to 1000 round count for the 2 day weekend?    It is pretty much unpossible without a serious deviation from the Instructors Manual POI.  We don't expect students to bring more than 500 rounds for the whole weekend.  I am not following your point.  What does a kid outshooting your wife have to do with rifles that can't shoot 4MOA except for on a good day?  Without a damaged or otherwise totally unserviceable muzzle, I am not aware of any common rifle which will not hold sub 4MOA any day of the year.    

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#30]
A day spent shooting in good company.

I learned a heck of a lot about the fundamentals of shooting as well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 2 10 rd mags and 1 25 rd mag.

Is that okay?

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have 2 10 rd mags and 1 25 rd mag.

Is that okay?

2 10 round mags is all you really need.  Extras will not hurt anything.    
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the 10 rounder for the initial loading and then setting the 25 rounder on the ground next to me for the reload. It was easier to pick up, easier to seat in the mag well, and I knew that it was going in bullet tips forward when I picked it up every time. YMMV.

LonghunterCO- Rifleman at first Appleseed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you shoot at an Appleseed with a 800 to 1000 round count for the 2 day weekend?    It is pretty much unpossible without a serious deviation from the Instructors Manual POI.  We don't expect students to bring more than 500 rounds for the whole weekend.  I am not following your point.  What does a kid outshooting your wife have to do with rifles that can't shoot 4MOA except for on a good day?  Without a damaged or otherwise totally unserviceable muzzle, I am not aware of any common rifle which will not hold sub 4MOA any day of the year.    

No kid outshot my wife.  She was running the line.  I was talking about a factory pro getting frustrated at his scores compared to kids.  I was agreeing with an earlier point that an open mind and willingness to learn produces results, rather than a big bag of skill.

I dont suppose that i have a point other than that I was just pointing out that my experiences were opposite of yours in a few areas.  There was nothing wrong with the program.  the boss was very efficient with the shooting and took advantage of the long summer daylight.  Nothing excessive, but to run another four or five AQT's is nothing really.   I assure you that everything was by the book.  We just shot more.

I also don't believe that the stock 10/22 is a 2MOA rifle.  But I'm not really interested in arguing that right now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I shot one a few years ago.  Really opened my eyes to how lousy of a shot I am

I keep telling myself I need to go back to see how I've improved.

People talk about it in the worst case scenario. i.e - Bring 5 gallons of water, tylenol, plenty of towels, 3 hats, etc.    Take a mat. Be prepared to lie down all day.  If you can't lie down all day without popping pills or needing a pack full of supplies.. well...
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I drew silver arrows on my 10 rd mags to aid in correct positioning.

I also filed my front sight narrower. I didn't like the round bead.

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
......  the boss was very efficient with the shooting and took advantage of the long summer daylight.  Nothing excessive, but to run another four or five AQT's is nothing really...

Aaaah..    That makes sense.  We typically call it a day on Saturday around 4-5PM.   People normally start to fatigue too much and get frustrated.  It is fine if the shooters are ready and willing to continue longer, but I just don't see it happen around here.   The AQT scores drop off too much and it is not productive to try and get more in.

Quoted:
 I also don't believe that the stock 10/22 is a 2MOA rifle...

All I can say is that it isn't the rifle, it is the shooter if they are not shooting 2MOA or better.  I have proven it to people over and over with the most nasty looking beat up 10/22s on the line.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
People talk about it in the worst case scenario. i.e - Bring 5 gallons of water, tylenol, plenty of towels, 3 hats, etc.    Take a mat. Be prepared to lie down all day.  If you can't lie down all day without popping pills or needing a pack full of supplies.. well...

If you can't lie down all day come anyway.  Nobody is forced to shoot prone who doesn't want to.  If you have a disability or other health condition we will adapt.  We have had shooters in their 80s.  We certainly do not make them go from standing to prone...

Link Posted: 12/1/2012 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#39]

First day done.

I will review more later.

This is the redcoat target  from the end of the day.

*The "sun" icon is a group that my neighbor shot onto my target.

Link Posted: 12/1/2012 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#40]
That looks good. I tell you what, for me, day two way the day that everything just came together. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That looks good. I tell you what, for me, day two way the day that everything just came together. Enjoy.

I hope so. I am struggling with the sitting position. Just can't find a good position. I feel like they don't give enough time to practice the demonstrated techniques.

It seems that they give a group demo, then they release you to the line for about a 2min get into position session.  Then
t's like , "okay, hurry up and shoot 2, 3,reload, 5.  Okay next group demo"

Link Posted: 12/1/2012 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope so. I am struggling with the sitting position. Just can't find a good position. I feel like they don't give enough time to practice the demonstrated techniques.

It seems that they give a group demo, then they release you to the line for about a 2min get into position session.  Then
t's like , "okay, hurry up and shoot 2, 3,reload, 5.  Okay next group demo"

Go kneeling then. Injury, to much around the middle, whatever take a less stable position so that you can concentrate on the fundamentals to make the shot instead of making that course of fire the " I got to get into that hated position!".  That is what I did YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Great shooting! Did you do that well with you 10/22 and ate up sights (very impressive if so) or with the AR?
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I've been wanting to go to a Appleseed. Isn't it preferred that attendees use iron sights?

All I have is a .22 Marlin Model 60 or an AR15 with .22 conversion. Are these ok?

Link Posted: 12/1/2012 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've been wanting to go to a Appleseed. Isn't it preferred that attendees use iron sights?

All I have is a .22 Marlin Model 60 or an AR15 with .22 conversion. Are these ok?  

Scope or irons are ok. Go with what you got.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i46.tinypic.com/15s3k8z.jpg]http://i46.tinypic.com/15s3k8z.jpg]http://i46.tinypic.com/15s3k8z.jpg

Great shooting! Did you do that well with you 10/22 and ate up sights (very impressive if so) or with the AR?

10/22 and Kentucky wondage.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i46.tinypic.com/15s3k8z.jpg]http://i46.tinypic.com/15s3k8z.jpg]http://i46.tinypic.com/15s3k8z.jpg

Nice.
10/22 and Kentucky wondage.

Link Posted: 12/1/2012 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I went to one and I thought it sucked. The instructors were making fun of my rifle , Stag M4, and one of the instructors wouldn't leave me alone. They said my rifle is for "kicking doors down" and not for shooting long distance. I countered and mentioned that its a good thing we are only shooting at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Good luck tomorrow OP!
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Ha! you would be at the suntarget place yeah?? Me too
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top