Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/20/2012 1:44:50 PM EDT
Anyone heard of, or have this shotgun? I've found one or two reviews online, but nothing in detail. From handling it, it looks like a copy of the Benelli M1. Not entirely sure of whether or not it'll take extension tubes, but the capacity (5+1) is not a deal breaker.

Local store has a black friday special ($280ish out the door), so it may be a good option for a semi auto "trunk gun" that won't break the bank.

Link to shotgun: (can't hotlink) http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_539609_-1
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Never shot one..... but i may after Friday.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I do believe those are Turkish. If so, no thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why? They've been making shotguns for quite a long time. ETA: to wit, do you know the failure rate compared to other "American" manufacturers?

Or Benelli? Perhaps H undst K?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? They've been making shotguns for quite a long time. ETA: to wit, do you know the failure rate compared to other "American" manufacturers?

I watched the front fall off a turkish shotgun.

My buddies brother bought one for sd, it had not been soth much at all.

I don't remember what broke but I watched it come apart in his hands.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched the front fall off a turkish shotgun.

My buddies brother bought one for sd, it had not been soth much at all.

I don't remember what broke but I watched it come apart in his hands.

You're not kidding, the front fell off?

So, he accidentally the whole thing?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Anyone heard of, or have this shotgun? I've found one or two reviews online, but nothing in detail. From handling it, it looks like a copy of the Benelli M1. Not entirely sure of whether or not it'll take extension tubes, but the capacity (5+1) is not a deal breaker.

Local store has a black friday special ($280ish out the door), so it may be a good option for a semi auto "trunk gun" that won't break the bank.

Link to shotgun: (can't hotlink) http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_539609_-1

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_539609_-1

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Tri-Star TriRaptor 12GA 28" Semi-Automatic Shot Gun

sold several of these and have gotten great feed back from a couple of the buyers,fit/finish looked nice,action felt smooth.

for the $$ the Raptor ATAC 12GA might be worth checking out

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#10]
looks like is based on a remington type sg, wonder if their stocks would fit it
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Not the same. That's pump action. And the rest of the tube is for decoration. Like a magtube dildo (it's still 5+1).
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the same. That's pump action. And the rest of the tube is for decoration. Like a magtube dildo (it's still 5+1).

[squints] Oh like it says in the title, oh well, sorry  

Yeah, they should be a little more specific with the name.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:27:43 AM EDT
[#14]

A $280 Turkish copy of a Benelli?  What could go wrong?

John
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A $280 Turkish copy of a Benelli?  What could go wrong?

John

Hey, at least it's not a hand grenade...

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#16]
The action looks like Mossberg and Weatherby's low end semiauto SG, both also made in Turkey.  Does HK still have a licensed plant in Turkey?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#17]
So I stopped by Academy @ ~10:00 and they still had a couple of these.  So I said what the hell for $259 if nothing else it will make a good hammer.  It is made by Kral (http://www.kralav.com/) and it feels good, looks well finished on the outside, gas system looks well machined, and takes Benelli/Beretta chokes.  Inside of the chamber is not perfect, but it was $259 so.....
Anyway, that is about I can add now, but for $259 if it doesn't blow up in your face I think you could do worse.

Edit: It is a bit hefty for what I was expecting (ie figured it would be a lot thinner receiver and action than what it is)
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Specs: 20inch chrome lined barrel with interchangeable chokes
5 + 1 mag capacity.
Some sort of aluminum alloy receiver
Weight Around 6.5 lb
2&3/4 or 3in shells
Gas operated semi auto
Weaver rail mounted rear ghost ring with fiber optic front post dot

Just bought it around 10am. Went to local gunsmith and tried to figure out what accessories will go with it.  It takes benelli/beretta chokes . The mag extensions appear to be modifiable. It has similar mag extension thread of Remington 870/1100. I say similar because after the first 3/8 inch of thread it won't go down. Also the end of the mag has been crimped But looks easy to dremel out and use an extension coupler  if you use a spacer. I hear you can call the factory to get the mag extension but I could be wrong.  Tried calling Friday but no one picked up so ill try again next week.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#19]
hell with that. looks like some cheap ass stuff. if i go cheap i at least buy USA brands.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I got mine today! I wanted to buy it in September but was broke dick broke, I am not now, so I bought it today after a co worker pointed it out to me yesterday at work. Seems to be well made, but I don't like the looks as much as a lot of other auto shotguns,. It's the forend's shape I guess. $259 +taxes, which is way better than $330.00 + taxes.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/tristar-raptor-atac-shotgun-25999-store-academy-black-friday-2012
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

A lot of really good shotgun barrels are made in Turkey. Why the "no thanks"?

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought one as well. It's a basic Beretta clone Turkish shotgun.
My living room "Range report" Is the same as the above gents. About the only thing I can add is that the pistol grip stock is kind of cheesy.
The action is pretty darn smooth. It surprised me.
The cylinder bore choke is an extended / ported one and is mostly useless. Just for looks. It came with a flush mount that I think is an improved cylinder.
I have a Beretta TX4 as well.... This is no Beretta, but I think it'll be a good performer.
I'll likely take this one to get beat around where I'd leave my TX4 at home to stay safe...
For the money, this looks like a GREAT buy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Specs: 20inch chrome lined barrel with interchangeable chokes

5 + 1 mag capacity.

Some sort of aluminum alloy receiver

Weight Around 6.5 lb

2&3/4 or 3in shells

Gas operated semi auto

Weaver rail mounted rear ghost ring with fiber optic front post dot

Just bought it around 10am. Went to local gunsmith and tried to figure out what accessories will go with it. It takes benelli/beretta chokes . The mag extensions appear to be modifiable. It has similar mag extension thread of Remington 870/1100. I say similar because after the first 3/8 inch of thread it won't go down. Also the end of the mag has been crimped But looks easy to dremel out and use an extension coupler if you use a spacer. I hear you can call the factory to get the mag extension but I could be wrong. Tried calling Friday but no one picked up so ill try again next week.

Please update with your findings. I bought one yesterday and immediately started looking for accessories. I would like to get the mag extension, but I haven't seen much info out there.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone know if this shotgun has an adjustable gas system?  Or will cycle low brass birdshot?
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#26]
It is designed to handle anything. The book states that it might need a break in period. Heavy stuff should hasten that process.
I'm gonna try the bulk pack wal-mart stuff in mine tomorrow.

To answer the direct question, it's not adjustable by the operator. It just adjusts itself to whatever shell is fired.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#27]
My son uses a Tristar for duck hunting.  Works okay.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I snagged one one black friday too. It is light and the trigger on mine is very nice. Worried about the tall front sight, seems like it may snag something and break. but will see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

My son uses a Tristar for duck hunting.  Works okay.

Although my son and I don't get to shoot very often, I got him this TriStar for Christmas 2 years ago, and when we do go shot gunning it has worked flawlessly.

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought one on b f at Academy also. Looking forward to shooting it. Seems like a nice gun for the price. I cant remove the trigger group,cant get the pin out. Is there a trick?
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#32]
use a brass punch. it won't just come off by pressing on it. Shot it today. Jams WAY WAY too much to be use as a reliable Home Defense gun. I Honestly suggest that if you bought this gun just do your self a favor and don't actually use it for home defense or a line of work where your life depends on it. Its great for trap and skeet and super accurate.

One failure to feed/short stroked required a complete dis-assembly to fix because the bolt would not cycle back when actuating the bolt handle. Main issue is it won't reliably extract my rounds which may or may not be due to lack of break in since it is new. I've so far put about 80rds through it hopefully after the 500 mark the problem will resolve it self or else i'm sending it in for warranty.

Again I really really want to urge that if you just bought this new DO NOT use it if it'll be use when your life depends on it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Keep us up to date.

A local shop had, a few days ago, a Tristar Tec-12. Was both a pump action and semi-auto.
It looked just like a Benelli M3 other than the stock and sights. Even the mechanism forward of the pump to switch between pump action and semi auto was identical to the M3.
The action was very smooth.

Tec-12 Pump/semi
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#34]
The tristar raptor looks like a tristar viper, except the stock and grip is different, and possible the magazine tube.

it looks like there was a review of sorts of a tristar semiauto on youtube from 2009 here

gunblast tristar tsa camo 12 gauge shotgun

http://youtu.be/34zwwIWiIco

there is a video of the disassembly of a viper g2 here - the pin had to be hammered out also

gunknowledge - tristar viper g2 shotgun disassembly field strip takedown

http://youtu.be/IeMHQL1M8Z4

and the reassembly here

http://youtu.be/GkG0CEHgym4

it looks like the magazine tube is different from other models in the tristar, as, there were instructions for a magazine plug in the tristar booklet, but, the end of the magazine tube is a taper crimp, so the muzzle end would have to have the crimp cut off, then a coupler used if some sort of extension were available

Did many people pick one of these up? It looks like it goes on sale at academy frequently. Also, the convertable model was priced somewhere around $580, if i recall properly.

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/27/2012 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Update. Called the TriStar Company gunsmith and he told me that since the gun was imported the ATF won't allow them to make magazine that holds more then 5 rds. I also asked if they had any plans for selling any other accesories and they said not really, they just wanted to focus on importing. So there you have it folks. I'll probably call my local ATF agent and ask it it's legal for me to mod my gun to hold more rounds or not.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#37]
My son learned to shoot skeet on a $300 Tristar Viper 20 gauge.  That gun ran 100% while he was shooting it.  I'd buy another Tristar in a heartbeat based on that, but I don't want an M1 knockoff that only holds 5 rounds and won't take any of the extension tubes out there.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#38]
further update. my local atf agent told me that as far as he knows there's no restriction on magazine capacity for end users to modify their shotgun to. This is of course if your local/state laws allow for high capacity shotgun mags.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
further update. my local atf agent told me that as far as he knows there's no restriction on magazine capacity for end users to modify their shotgun to. This is of course if your local/state laws allow for high capacity shotgun mags.

If the mag tube is anything like on the Viper, you'll have a hell of a time finding an extension that will work.  The modification may be extensive/costly enough that you're better off just finding a used M1 or M2.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Well as i stated above you can use 870 extension with minor modification and fabrication of parts. It can be done with the right tool and can use 870 mag extension
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#41]
i think that, upon review, it appears that the tristar semiauto shotgun gets covered by importation suitible for sporting purposes, as defined by not having 2 or more things that define it as an semiauto assault weapon -

(d) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of—

(1) A folding or telescoping stock,

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,

(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds, and

(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=a5193b20d0fcc546d314f45225c4f025&rgn=div8&view=text&node=27:3.0.1.2.3.2.1.1&idno=27

it appears that if you add on the magazine extension, it causes it to fall under 922 r, and would need a certain number of US made parts, much like a saiga12 does    
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of really good shotgun barrels are made in Turkey. Why the "no thanks"?  

A lot of pretty shotguns are made in Turkey. I have yet to see a quality shotgun come from there.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
i think that, upon review, it appears that the tristar semiauto shotgun gets covered by importation suitible for sporting purposes, as defined by not having 2 or more things that define it as an semiauto assault weapon -

(d) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of—

(1) A folding or telescoping stock,

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,

(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds, and

(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=a5193b20d0fcc546d314f45225c4f025&rgn=div8&view=text&node=27:3.0.1.2.3.2.1.1&idno=27

it appears that if you add on the magazine extension, it causes it to fall under 922 r, and would need a certain number of US made parts, much like a saiga12 does    

First what you have listed is a classification for assault weapon and by adding a mag extension it may or may not be legal in your state/local area.
Also 922r compliance really just means no more then 10 imported parts on a gun since I am adding a us made part it does not change anything.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

use a brass punch. it won't just come off by pressing on it. Shot it today. Jams WAY WAY too much to be use as a reliable Home Defense gun. I Honestly suggest that if you bought this gun just do your self a favor and don't actually use it for home defense or a line of work where your life depends on it. Its great for trap and skeet and super accurate.

One failure to feed/short stroked required a complete dis-assembly to fix because the bolt would not cycle back when actuating the bolt handle. Main issue is it won't reliably extract my rounds which may or may not be due to lack of break in since it is new. I've so far put about 80rds through it hopefully after the 500 mark the problem will resolve it self or else i'm sending it in for warranty.

Again I really really want to urge that if you just bought this new DO NOT use it if it'll be use when your life depends on it.
Did you use buck shot or birdshot? Did it malfunction when shooting buck?

Link Posted: 11/27/2012 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#45]
I've yet to test it with buckshot I used estate 7 1/2 shots from academy. which works most of the time so out of the 80rd about 20 jammed. I think this is due to short stroking which can be fix with more powerful  loads or just wear down the spring.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#46]
And they said it couldn't be done... Well here's a photo of my tristar and 870 (on the right) . I've taken the mag extension off my 870 and placed it onto the tristar. I had to use aluminum foil as a temporary shim which will be replaced with a more permanent shim made of PVC pipe . Shot 20 rds through it held up just fine. Holds about 7rds in the mag and 1 in chamber with a +2 extension.

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Nice toe shot paxrom Did you dremel out the lip of the tube?
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#48]
yup gota dremel out the crimp.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
yup gota dremel out the crimp.

Which extension is that? Choate?

ETA: how does the stock attach? I'm wondering if it'll take Beretta stocks, or Remington/Mossberg, etc.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#50]
sage int but any rem 870/1187 ext will do. it does not use Remington stock (i've  tried) .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top