Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2012 5:55:14 AM EDT
It's like we reverted back to the 70's. The lighting is all off and it looks very unnatural.

All I can see is actors acting. Do you eventually get used to it?

"Auto motion plus" off = fixed. Mo betta.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't get used to it when I was looking for flat screens in the store.
Plasma!
The only cure is plasma.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes it eventually happens.  When i first bought mine i said the picture is too freakin clear and just made movies and such look off to me and the wife.  Will take about 2 weeks depending on how much television you watch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:56:44 AM EDT
[#3]
You should try calibrating your TV. Search out the high def TV forums for starting points. Or, you can pay a professional to do it. Should help some.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks like watching old Dr Who. Plasma for me please
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Should have got a plasma
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Ahh the Soap Opera Effect.

No you are doomed. PM me for address for TV disposal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It looks like watching old Dr Who. Plasma for me please

That is exactly what I was thinking!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Any room on the plasma bandwagon for me?  If so, I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Should have got a plasma

I have plasma. I'm staying at my cousins house and he has a badass Samsung. LOVED it for sports, movies.....not so much.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Turn down your sharpness.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes soap opera effect.

Im with the Plasma group!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should have got a plasma

I have plasma. I'm staying at my cousins house and he has a badass Samsung. LOVED it for sports, movies.....not so much.

Ok I'm confused....LED sucks,  plasma is great for sports...but moves also suck on plasma?  What TV is good for movies then?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes soap opera effect.

DAMN all this time I thought i was going crazy
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Nope, not a fan, which is why I went high quality LCD. Truer colors, hardly any noticable streaking, and no soap opera like imagery.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Samsung LED?

That feature is called "Motion Plus" (or something). It is in the settings menu.
Turn it off and see if you like the change.

Or live with it for a little while. Customer feedback is that many like it once they get used to it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:06:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Try turning off the motion blur, or whatever they call it on your tv. Also, if you can drop the refresh rate, it should make it look normal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:08:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Calibrate the damned thing first.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:10:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Should have got a plasma

Ok I'm confused....LED sucks,  plasma is great for sports...but moves also suck on plasma?  What TV is good for movies then?

No he has an LED. Badass for sports, sucks for movies. Plasma is good for everything.

I want an LED but I can't watch this. It's ruining movies.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Should have got a plasma

No he has an LED. Badass for sports, sucks for movies. Plasma is good for everything.

As was mentioned above, try digging in the menu and turn off the "auto motion" or "auto film/video" mode.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Samsung LED?

That feature is called "Motion Plus" (or something). It is in the settings menu.

Or live with it for a little while. Customer feedback is that many like it once they get used to it.

This is the droid you seek.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Should have got a plasma

As was mentioned above, try digging in the menu and turn off the "auto motion" or "auto film/video" mode.

I'm trying.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#22]
This is obviously a first world problem. "Oh, woe is me, my HD picture is too clear!"
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Samsung LED?

This is the droid you seek.  http://westmanorproperties.com/colorchangearrowup.gif

It's already off.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:22:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes soap opera effect.

DAMN all this time I thought i was going crazy

So THATS what it is called!   I couldn't explain it to anyone!  Glad I have a plasma going on 7 years.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah turn 120hz off and also at very least turn the LCD backlight down.

Then go to avsforum.com and look your TV up. You might find calibration info there and just write down what had worked for others. You don't even have to invest in a calibration disc.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is obviously a first world problem. "Oh, woe is me, my HD picture is too clear!"

Actually, it's not the clarity - its the refresh rate and or 3:2 pull down.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#27]
First world problem...

Calibrate your screen.  That, or you didn't get one that had high end specs..
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#28]
i turned off that Soap Opera effect, annoying and it's weird.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#29]
May Plasma TVs never die.

I LOVE my Pioneer, wish they still made them

Panasonic bought the patents from Pioneer, hopefully to implement them in future models.  I know they made a good plasma in their own right.  If they start using Pioneer tech, they will be great.

Take the LED back, get a Panasonic Plasma.  You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#30]
My LED looks incredible. However, my plasma is beautiful too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Samsung LED?

This is the droid you seek.  http://westmanorproperties.com/colorchangearrowup.gif

It's already off.

OP, each TV, whether it is plasma, LCD, or LED, has specific calibration settings that cover a whole host of different specific settings. Google for your exact model of TV and the words calibration settings and you will probably find enthusiast forums where commonly liked settings are posted. Try them out and see if you like them. These modern TVs are not like our old ones where you just tweak one knob and all is good. Many people pay a pro to come out and calibrate it with instruments.

Here is an example: http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1437963-samsung-d7000-d8000-settings-calibration-thread.html  Find one for YOUR tv model. I did this with my Panasonic plasma and it made a real nice difference, a good improvement.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Clearly, you are a Retro kind of guy.   Go out and garbage pick a good old CRT TV.    Enjoy your movies.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah turn 120hz off and also at very least turn the LCD backlight down.

Then go to avsforum.com and look your TV up. You might find calibration info there and just write down what had worked for others. You don't even have to invest in a calibration disc.

If it was mine, I would jack with it. I want an LED I just wanted to know if this was how it always looked.

Sounds like it can be fixed. That's what I was hoping for.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm a plasma fan too but listen to the advice about calibration.  You can get a DVD with step by step instructions pretty cheap.  You might be able to download the test pattern images and burn them to disk.

I had a DIY home theater in an extra bedroom with a projector and 120" screen.  Calibrating made a huge difference in the picture quality.

If you want some quick settings, take a look over on AVS Forum.  If the TV is current, they probably have a running thread with other owners talking about the set.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

smash his tv and tell him to buy a plasma
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Problem for me was everything was too real

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
i turned off that Soap Opera effect, annoying and it's weird.

Same here drove me insane.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#38]
I have 4 LED's and a Plasma

Personally I like them all, my Plasma is my main television and I love it.  The LED's are in various other rooms.   But I had them all calibrated when I bought them.  Maybe that's the difference.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Nope, not a fan, which is why I went high quality LCD. Truer colors, hardly any noticable streaking, and no soap opera like imagery.

You do know that most LED TV's are actually LCD, they are just backlit by LED instead of a normal light right?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#40]
I started using mine.  Makes 3D content more watchable.  Probably because my eyesight sucks.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#41]
First time I watches SOA on one I couldnt handle it, looked like it was filmed with a handy cam. Same thing with star wars, but in time you get used to it, but every now and then it comes back and gets distracting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#42]
You have to adjust your TV.  The default settings do weird things to the picture.  Mine had the contrast set way too high and something called sharpness turned up.  I ended up turning the sharpness to zero, lowering the contrast significantly, and then turning down the brightness a little so that blacks were close to black.  It looks way better now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:56:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You have to adjust your TV.  The default settings do weird things to the picture.  Mine had the contrast set way too high and something called sharpness turned up.  I ended up turning the sharpness to zero, lowering the contrast significantly, and then turning down the brightness a little so that blacks were close to black.  It looks way better now.

You shouldn't have to adjust a $1,000+ TV to get the picture quality at an acceptable level.

Plasma > LED
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shouldn't have to adjust a $1,000+ TV to get the picture quality at an acceptable level.

Plasma > LED

The in-store settings suck.  They're designed to look good on display.  At home they look (relatively) like ass.  Adjust your settings and enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Still rockin' my beautiful Panasonic plasma here. People with HD TV's see my picture quality and wish theirs was so good.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plasma > LED

If you want the best picture your set can produce, the fact is that you need to adjust it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:07:10 AM EDT
[#47]
My gf likes the motion plus thingy on, but I can't stand it. I will say it looks neat on Pixar movies

On my Samsung LED, there are 4 different motion plus options and one that is pretty mild...I forget what it's called offhand, but I remember reading that it's a Samsung default that you cannot obtain by messing with the advanced controls.

This looks sweet and does not have the soap opera affect.

Speed

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's like we reverted back to the 70's. The lighting is all off and it looks very unnatural.

All I can see is actors acting. Do you eventually get used to it?

Turn off the motion smoothing crap.  It's an abomination and I'd bet dollars to donuts that's your problem if it's still enabled.  The vast majority of new TV's come with that shit enabled by default.  

Film was meant to be viewed at 24 fps.  Not 24fps + a bunch of interpolated frames that the director never intended.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#49]
What's the best setting for Football... Clear or Smooth?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plasma > LED

Herp derp plasmas need calibrating to optimize the picture too.

One thing plasmas do very well is black levels, but the new LCDs (esp with dynamic LED backlights) come decently close.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top