BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
They're there to mak sure you aren't over-charged AND that you got everything you paid for.

That's what it says on the Internet..

ETA I think they might catch the really obvious collusion between customer and checker.  A short receipt for the number of items or one high priced item that doesn't show on receipt.   If they're trying that is.

This actually turned out to be the case this weekend for my wife.

Checker at the Sam's Club noticed she had been charged twice for an item.  Saved her a trip back to get it fixed and maybe an argument with a skeptical customer service clerk.  The Sam's checkers locally count items in the cart (total items listed conspicuously on receipt).

All that said, it is 99% intended for loss prevention. The benefit to the customer is just a side bonus, though the argument that shrinkage increases customer costs does have some merit.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe your membership requires you to stop.

This.

Unlike Walmart which is open to the public, Costco is a members-only store.  True, they don't have any legal right to stop and check your receipt and can't hold you if you haven't shoplifted.  But they can easily check their database to see who bought only hot wings a few minutes ago and cancel your membership, banning you from all Costcos.  It's in the membership agreement you signed, just like you agree to let them search any bags or backpacks.

Quoted:

Your grainy surveillance photo will now be posted at every checkout station.

No need.  They already have all your personal information in their DB, including the picture you posed for on your membership card.

BTW, Costco keeps a record of everything you buy forever.  A while back my father wanted to know if they had a power saw stand like he bought there a while ago.  He didn't know what it was called or who made it or even when he bought it, so a clerk walked up to a computer terminal, entered his membership number, and pulled up his entire history.  And there it was from a few years back.  She told him what it was called, who made it, the exact date he bought it and what he paid for it.

Keep this in mind the next time you go out shopping for plastic tarps, rope, duct tape, gloves, a ski mask, a chainsaw, and a shovel.
This is no different than any place you use a card to pay with. Target can do it with your card #. That's how they handle returns without a receipt.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]
COSTCO WHY U NO SELL AMMO???

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Costco is a posted no weapons business. I give them 0 business. BJs gets all of my business. If Sam's Club started selling ammo I'd shop there.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Where are all the "their business, their rules" people today?

If it says you will stop and have your receipt checked in your contract that you signed, why are you surprised that they would fulfill their end of the bargain?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been doing that for years at costco. Go in the exit (since I did not have a membership), go up grab a cheap costco dog and walk out. Never once got stopped or asked to by a checker. Act like you own the place and no one bothers you .

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#7]
our checkers don't check shit

they run a sharpie down the receipt and send us on our way

it's absolutely fucking worthless, I don't even understand the point. At our costco, the register is a 2 person operation, one handles the scanning, the other double checks that all items were accounted for.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They have receipt checkers at Sams Club (I'm guessing it's similar to Costco) and I never understood why they checked receipts.

To keep people from stealing shit.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They have receipt checkers at Sams Club (I'm guessing it's similar to Costco) and I never understood why they checked receipts.

To keep people from stealing shit.

Sams club business card here....love going in early with nobody there.
the checkers dont actually check much of anything at our local Sams.
last trip was simple cases of water and some cleaners 5 items. lady was so slow counting to 5
I almost imitated the count off sesame street 1...............2.......................3................

have also seen them go through one cart and each bag  and then pencil whip the next
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Who was it that stole a canoe from Wally World by buying gum, keeping the reciept and while carrying a canoe over their head, they flashed the reciept and kept moving?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#11]

I always want to lecture them on the fact they lose way more $$$ in theft to employees than customers but I know it wouldn't change a thing...

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, what a bad ass! I hope I will be as coll as you one day.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
our checkers don't check shit

they run a sharpie down the receipt and send us on our way

it's absolutely fucking worthless, I don't even understand the point. At our costco, the register is a 2 person operation, one handles the scanning, the other double checks that all items were accounted for.
In my store, if your cart is just dry food, they'll practically wave you through, if its gigantic pieces of beef, TVs, electronics, or you look shady, they'll check it more closely. I've watched them root through a FSA member's cart "just making sure everything's here."

Quoted:
Who was it that stole a canoe from Wally World by buying gum, keeping the reciept and while carrying a canoe over their head, they flashed the reciept and kept moving?
I saw a guy duck into an unused Walmart cashier's booth, grab a bag, take a receipt off the floor, drop his item in the bag (DVD or video game, I think) and walk right out the door.  I was in a really bad area, surrounded by FSA-types, so I kept my mouth shut instead of risking a beating in the parking lot.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is no different than any place you use a card to pay with. Target can do it with your card #. That's how they handle returns without a receipt.

That's why you always pay cash.  And wear a disguise.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't let that get in the way of a cool story, bro.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Costco is a posted no-weapons business. Why give em yours?

1. There is nothing in the Costco agreement (at least the one I have seen) that talks about weapons.

2. There are no signs regarding weapons/guns at any of the warehouses in my area.

3. Because my employer pays for the membership.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#18]
They caught a double charge for something once and saved me $60.
I'm only bothered by them if it's crowded.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like it could have been a near flawless execution:

1) see huge line

2) walk past receipt checker with your single item

3) receipt checker flags you down

4) show receipt checker the receipt for your single item, while bypassing huge ass line

5) Exit, having neither waited in the huge line, nor violated your membership agreement.

6) chuckle at the scathing glances from those in line-from-hell

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I just get my revenge (ha) by saying, "Papehz... paperhz...show uz your paperhz" in a bad German accent, whilst handing them my receipt.

I do the same thing at Fry's Electronics.

And isn't it amazing that all the videos "failed" during the Las Vegas 'incident'.
But I'm not paranoid, no sirree!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Costco is a posted no-weapons business. Why give em yours?

1. There is nothing in the Costco agreement (at least the one I have seen) that talks about weapons.

2. There are no signs regarding weapons/guns at any of the warehouses in my area.

3. Because my employer pays for the membership.

here in WI, they are posted ABOVE the door.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I make it a point not to patronize businesses that check your receipt on the way out the door.  I don't appreciate being a accused of being a thief every time I shop.  

I'll never step foot in another Wal-Mart again if I can help it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Someone here once said that they blow past the receipt checkers while saying, "These are not the droids you are looking for."

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't let that get in the way of a cool story, bro.

Obligation?  We don't honor no steenking obligation.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I was at Home Depot and had to get a 39 cent wall switch plate.  I was running late and didn't stop for the guy checking at the door.  The register I was at was the one next to the doo and he seen me pay.  He ran all the way out to my car and grabed my arm as I got in.  I will stop at this point.  These guys are just checkers nothing else.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I tally this a success in my book.

I have no idea why.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You joined a club and signed an agreement.  May they be cursed for trying to enforce it  You're being difficult for the sake of being difficult

Yah, Im trying to get my head around the "fuck your rules, I have to get to bible study" Attitude.....they don't seem to go together well
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep, it's a private club you know. You have to play by their rules. You signed up for it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You joined a club and signed an agreement.  May they be cursed for trying to enforce it  You're being difficult for the sake of being difficult

Yah, Im trying to get my head around the "fuck your rules, I have to get to bible study" Attitude.....they don't seem to go together well

Yep..way to go OP nobody's gonna fuck with you you got Jesus on your side.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Receipt checkers at Costco..... ain't nobody got time for that!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't shop at the club stores; but at other stores, when stopped and asked if they can see my receipt, my response is NO!  I have never been detained.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Good thing this wasn't a Las Vegas Costco.  Concealing your "receipt" could get you shot!  

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Around here, the FSA gets their EBT loaded on the 3rd and 5th of the month.

Costco and Sam's are literally over-run and sell out of milk, bread, and toilet paper. The lines are absurdly long and all of the pimped out Escalades and lifted trucks fill the parking lot, especially the handicap spots.

They load their wagons with $200-400 of processed junk, rib-eye steaks, crab and lobster. The workers hate it so much that they love to call in sick for those days. It is a big joke, they come in herds of 3-6 of their non-working family and take their sweet time lollygagging through the store and blocking the way.

These grubbing fucks need to have a separate line that they have to wait in. They shouldn't even be allowed in the same lines as normal, hardworking folks. Don't even get me started on the fucking receipt checkers. Fuck them.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was at Home Depot and had to get a 39 cent wall switch plate.  I was running late and didn't stop for the guy checking at the door.  The register I was at was the one next to the doo and he seen me pay.  He ran all the way out to my car and grabed my arm as I got in.  I will stop at this point.  These guys are just checkers nothing else.

Tell us more. Did you threaten to have the guy arrested for assault? Complain to manager? When he grabs you w/o cause, that's a big mistake. Checking a reciept is not cause.

Walmarts and home home depots don't have reciept checkers up here. In fact, Sams club is the only store I patronize that does it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top