Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hire more security guards.  Preferably some ex-strippers.  I don't know what you guys make but you could probably hire 2 or 3 for 90K, right?

This is what I was thinking.

Op, maybe more or better cameras, Surefire lights, Flak suits since you can't shoot back, gym to keep you less spare tire looking, scary looking sticks, maybe a net that comes out of the floor to leave the bad guy hanging.

3k spent on new flashlights, they are on the way.  Can't have flak suits though we do have 3 riot shields.  Can't carry sticks yet, that's in the works.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#2]
CIRAS vests lol. But yeah, comfy furniture, computers, iPads, minifridges?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So let your budget be less next year, what's the fucking problem?  What do you need next year that you can't get this year?

Who knows what we will need next year, that's the problem.

Anything needed to make the job a little more bearable?  I know, everyone says they love their job, but are any desks in need of repair? Sally need a new chair or three?

Order all of next years supplies and stockpile?

All office furniture is being upgraded.  Different budget.

This is not as easy as it seems, spending money....
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ASP's ? Training in more hand to hand confrontations. Even more importantly, training in good ol' Verbal Judo.  That should eat up most of your budget.

No ASP's, hopefully soon.  Hand to hand training is already scheduled.  Verbal Judo is early December.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Get those ear pieces for the radios, where other people can't hear what's going on. Maybe update the vehicle equipment, add more lights, etc. Make sure you have plenty of uniforms and duty gear in inventory and available.

Ear pieces and bluetooth headsets already ordered.  All kinds of extra duty gear and uniforms all ready in stock.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn, 90k is a lot to spend if you already have everything you need.

Do the desks, chairs, safe for patient items, or any office furniture need replacing?

Employee bonuses?  I know that one's a long shot.

New vehicles for patrolling the grounds?  The two hospitals I've worked at had security patrolling the grounds in a vehicle as well as one place had a security guy in a courtesy vehicle that would pickup/dropoff people to the parking lot when it was raining etc..

new/updated uniforms for your staff.

additional employee, although that's not likely as they come from different budgets.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anticipate foot pursuit?  They happen all the time.  Unarmed security often does things like that, without the weapons the police have.

Why the fuck would hospital security pursue anyone into a bad part of town?  Or even out of the hospital?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#8]
If 'use it or lose it' is as you say, "wasteful", why not give the $90,000 back since you obviously do not need it and are reaching for things to spend it on?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Sadly, bonuses can't come from this or all of the guys and gals would have them, it's a good department.  

Security vehicle is up to date with all the bells and whistles.  This department has come a long long way in the last few years and the administration is happy to give us money.  Our rankingjumped again this year, so we are doing the right things.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#10]
What about emergency/disaster response?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anticipate foot pursuit?  They happen all the time.  Unarmed security often does things like that, without the weapons the police have.

Why the fuck would hospital security pursue anyone into a bad part of town?  Or even out of the hospital?

It is a HUGE campus.  Over a mile from one end to the other.  It is easy to pursue someone and never leave the grounds.

I didn't say we pursue people INTO the bad part of town, we are IN the bad part of town.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What about emergency/disaster response?

Handled by the safety department for the most part.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Night-vision, Segways, Rappelling Gear, Royce Gracie 1 on 1 classes, Canon DSLR, Nikon DSLR, GSD, Hazmat Suites, Radiation Detectors, Telescopes, Solid Platinum Name Tags, Filet Mignon Dinners, Portable Jail Cell to name a few.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#14]
since it is such a large campus what about personal locator beacons/panic buttons for officers to carry or how about video/audio recorders to mitigate lawsuit concerns and for training?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#15]
See if you can order some night vision and FLIR gear.  That's the only way I see you using up the money at this point.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Not kidding on this one.  Buy a few of these, use them yourself, loan to disabled folks/wounded warriors, or rent for a pittance to same.

Liko Patient Lift

Oh, I need to borrow or rent one from you.

The lift is several thousand retail, the tracks are expensive too.

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Poor bastards would probably appreciate a raise or bonus so hows about that?  Gym memberships or install a gym
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#18]
As a hospital employee, I want you guys to spend the money on Tasers and impact weapons and developing a policy that enables their appropriate employment, which will certainly require significant training. Our security folks are nice, but there are too many of them who can't do much other than call for backup and become another casualty. When what we need is someone to lay a beating on the crackheads and violently deranged without getting into trouble the way patient care staff would.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
since it is such a large campus what about personal locator beacons/panic buttons for officers to carry or how about video/audio recorders to mitigate lawsuit concerns and for training?

Onboard GPS locators in the radios.  Already there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So let your budget be less next year, what's the fucking problem?  What do you need next year that you can't get this year?

This is the reason why so many county, state gov. are in the red lets spend this money on Shit we don't need so we can get even more next year.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Poor bastards would probably appreciate a raise or bonus so hows about that?  Gym memberships or install a gym

Campus has two gyms, no need for a new one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#22]
You probably missed my first post, but I thought of another. How is your RMS system? RMS = Report Management System. We don't have one, and with all the reports we write including accidents etc we need one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Hire me as a consultant.

Flat rate if 90k.

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Verbal judo? I get the concept but if that's not "Paul Blart" I dont know what is. That's hilarious.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the reason why so many county, state gov. are in the red lets spend this money on Shit we don't need so we can get even more next year.

The difference is they are government, using tax dollars.  We are not government.  Again, I agree with that line of thinking.  

Why not take the money, invest it in extreme low risk investments, keep it departmental and carry it over?  That is what I would do.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You probably missed my first post, but I thought of another. How is your RMS system? RMS = Report Management System. We don't have one, and with all the reports we write including accidents etc we need one.

Already have one, though the parent hospital is getting ready to release an enterprise report writing system in the next year and we will migrate to that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#27]
What about 3rd Party Consulting?

I can send wiring instructions if you'd like...
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Verbal judo? I get the concept but if that's not "Paul Blart" I dont know what is. That's hilarious.

Verbal Judo is not as stupid as it sounds.  It IS stupid the way Paul Blart made it sound.  Verbal Judo is extremely beneficial and has helped many officers defuse situations that could have gone badly.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#29]
How about a few golf carts or some vehicle like that to help you guys scoot around in?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Not everyone in the department is big on using golf carts or Segways, they used to have a golf cart before I got here, but it is gone, the patrol vehicle takes care of that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Hmmm, how about a UAV for perimeter patrol? I would suggest a real choopper but that would excede the $90k. How about electronics to jam cell phones, might come in handy during a riot or a SHTF situation to quell a potential riot. How about bean bag guns, non lethal and real fun to shoot someone with I am told. Also ballestic shelds, the ones with the lights built in them.
How about satellite time, real time look down from a eye in the sky.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Night-vision, Segways, Rappelling Gear, Royce Gracie 1 on 1 classes, Canon DSLR, Nikon DSLR, GSD, Hazmat Suites, Radiation Detectors, Telescopes, Solid Platinum Name Tags, Filet Mignon Dinners, Portable Jail Cell to name a few.

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Are you allowed kickbacks? Send me a pm :-)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#34]
See if you can get a local MMA, BJJ, or Krav Maga teacher to do a guest instruction or some kind of gift certificate for their school.

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Night vision... someone will need to be able to see during a major power/generator failure(look at the hospital in NYC that had a their gennys fail).
The folks that have them will lead the rest to safety...
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#36]
You must be single if you need help spending money.

My I suggest Asian hookers and Italian sports cars?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Fiber backbone? New ties to data center?
New cameras? DVR etc
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Go some of those scooter things, a few ipads. Cool looking Tier1 outfits, new radios.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#39]
I am currently pushing the hell out of Segways and night vision.  I was just told not 5 minutes ago we have another 15k to spend on top of the other money available.  I don't think it can be done.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Don't spend it if you don't need it.  Didn't you have a budget and therefore each dollar would be allocated to a certain thing?  

Any extra not spent usually goes to the office who didn't budget properly and a critical need is purchased.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#41]
$90,000 to spend? How about 900 M9 bayonets or 1800 M7 bayonets?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already have one, though the parent hospital is getting ready to release an enterprise report writing system in the next year and we will migrate to that.

Awesome! PM sent out of curiosity.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Cameras and DVR are on different budgets.  They can't be included on this or we would have spent the money long ago.  You can NEVER have too much money for cameras, access control or storage.  Heck, I would buy a shit ton of Terabyte drives and up the frame rate to 30 fps and enjoy the smooth video, but we can't do that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Pepper ball launching system
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#45]
water rescue?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Dang an additional $15K?
Who did yall budget? That's a lot to be over at the end of the year but I get not wanting to short change yourself when doing the budget
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pepper ball launching system

Trying to get away from irritants, they just don't go over well in a hospital.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What about 3rd Party Consulting?

I can send wiring instructions if you'd like...

hey hey hey, i have already filed my consultting fee lien on pg 1... keep moving, or you will hear from the penguin...
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#49]
a bunch of really comfy chairs and couches in the break room.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anticipate foot pursuit? They happen all the time. Unarmed security often does things like that, without the weapons the police have.

Why the fuck would hospital security pursue anyone into a bad part of town? Or even out of the hospital?

It is a HUGE campus. Over a mile from one end to the other. It is easy to pursue someone and never leave the grounds.

I didn't say we pursue people INTO the bad part of town, we are IN the bad part of town.

If you don't have sticks or guns, and allow your people to pursue..........spend the $90k on a retainer for a lawyer.  

I work on a campus in the midst of the bad side of town. Our security has ASP, pepper spray, bicycles, and K9s.  I don't think our guys are allowed to pursue anything but donuts.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top