Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2012 1:54:50 PM EDT
Any of you play chess?  Are there any good web resources for getting up to speed on playing it?  I've never really played other than a few games as a kid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Chess Titans in windows games is an OK engine to learn on.

After you get good enough for level 9/10, you can try out GNU chess and xboard.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I learned to play by getting a chess program (Chessmaster), setting it to play its weakest game, and playing until I could beat it consistently.  I still suck, but I improved a lot this way.  I believe that you could actually learn much faster by playing against skilled human opponents, but the computer is always available.  Sorry, I don't know of any good books or Internet resources.  However, the game has some tutorial stuff and a bunch of famous games with analysis.  I think that this is a really good way to start, especially since you'll be able to get in a lot of playing time.  As you improve, you might want to consider playing people online.  I used to play on Yahoo Games, and while there are a lot of assholes there, I learned a lot too.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a friend that wants to play chess.com has android and iphone apps that you can used to play with each other.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Chessmaster is great if you're just starting out. It has a boatload of tutorials on openings, drills on combination moves, capturing moves, checkmates, etc. Lots of annotated master games to walk through, etc..

When you want to play real games, just go to one of the online chess websites and play against a real person.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag.  I keep getting my ass kicked by my friend i'm playing over the smartphone.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Chessmaster is great if you're just starting out. It has a boatload of tutorials on openings, drills on combination moves, capturing moves, checkmates, etc. Lots of annotated master games to walk through, etc..

When you want to play real games, just go to one of the online chess websites and play against a real person.

It's an outstanding tool. Not to pricey either I'm sure. Pick it up.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
In a word, practice.

In a few words, don't worry about openings or theory to begin. Chess is a game of tactics, and practicing tactics will serve you well. Sign up at the free tactics server
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Get some beginning books on theory and get your board out and replay some of the examples. Control of the center is first and foremost, defense of the center is next, assault on the center would be third, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you have a friend that wants to play chess.com has android and iphone apps that you can used to play with each other.

They also have a pretty good browser-based game that lets you play at different skill levels against a computer opponent. It's not 100% perfect (I recently had the computer opponent in checkmate and it declared the game a draw ) but it's a decent resource.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That game once moved my king into checkmate and counted it as a loss.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I like doing chess problems more than I like playing actual games anymore.  Spend 10 minutes a day at chessproblems.com going through random problems, and you will see improvement with your endgame.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chess Titans or GNU Chess?

(I've not had a problem with either)

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chess Titans or GNU Chess?

(I've not had a problem with either)

Chess Titans.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#15]
go to chess.com and get the monthly account.  the video tutorials there are extremely good.  you can play people live around the clock there are usually 6000 or so people on at a time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Chess.com ids a great resource, with both paid and free information. I use their android app to play chess very often, as I don't have much time to play over-the-board. My userid there is CommanderKeen if you want to look me up there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the info fellas.  I'm messing around on chess.com.  It seems to have a lot of info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top