Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2012 11:11:33 AM EDT
I have no tangible experience with the last one as I was young, but what would it imply?
Would my/your guns be grandfathered to be acceptable to own? Would they now be illegal to own?
This might be a dumb question, but humor me, thx.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#1]
well I'm guessing assault weapons would be banned
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The last one had grandfathered weapons and magazines.

There are interviews from some of the Anti's in Congress demonstrating how stupid they are- that they expected all the mags to be used up a few years into the ban.  

Stupid or not, you can bet they won't make that mistake again if they are given another chance.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

nah. impossible.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]
it brough a lot more makers into the market and Colts for example were banned by name
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#5]
vote for the right guy and that will help go a long way in not worrying about it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have no tangible experience with the last one as I was young, but what would it imply?

Would my/your guns be grandfathered to be acceptable to own? Would they now be illegal to own?

No one can answer this.

The last ban they grandfathered in the guns, but if there is another ??????  These are the people who wanted to ban barrel shrouds, there is no reason to anything they do.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#7]
says "please ask again later".
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

OK by me. I don't own an "assault weapon."

semi-auto only.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got my crystal ball back from the shop.
It tells me that no citizen disarmament legislation will pass the cCongress under the current political circumstances.
It also says that in the event political circumstances change it is impossible to predict what cCongress might pass.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#10]
that NRA add on the ar15 homepage got me thinkin was all... guess time will tell.
i'll vote correctly, thx.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

semi-auto only.

oddly enough THEY don't care if you think it's an Assault weapon or not
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#12]
would i still be able to buy spare AR parts? like a firing pin and bolt?

or would that be unlawful under a ban?
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#13]
they will not make the mistake of grandfathering like the 1st time around.  also expect that number of allowable 'evil features' will be dropped from 2 to 1
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Next time they'll go full retard.  No sunset on the ban, confiscation, the whole bit.

Diane Finestein said it this way in 1995:
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#15]
How would they track/enforce the grandfathered stuff?  I don't have receipts for every piece of gear I bought over the years.  Most of it would be your word against theirs.  

This "ban" seems like another government clusterf**k that leaves all of us open to be f**ked with and no way to prove our innocence.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#16]
ILL DIE BEFORE MY WEAPONS HAVE SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!!

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Next time they'll go full retard.  No sunset on the ban, confiscation, the whole bit.

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."

I agree on full retard, but frankly I expect it to be a ban on the sale/transfer.  They can remove all ownership within a generation without taking a single living person's weapon. And that makes it all the more difficult to stop...
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://srv.rowelab.com/DU/riflesfull.jpg

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/images/MMG2.jpg

Yee guns, bann shark fin soup!
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree on full retard, but frankly I expect it to be a ban on the sale/transfer.  They can remove all ownership within a generation without taking a single living person's weapon. And that makes it all the more difficult to stop...

Not if they are possessed by your corporation... and your children and children's children's children are continually named as executives of your corporation...

EDIT: see my sigline.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Fascinating.  How do I subscribe to your newsletter, dear sir?  

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#22]
The implication is that you would be very naughty if you didn't comply with the wishes of your government and that you would be punished if you fail to comply.

'Course, they'd have to catch you first.

I'm just saying.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No shit the votes weren't there, because Diane Fuckstick is the only hag crazy enough to bring that idea to the table.

Not a snowball's chance in hell. You realize that is political suicide, on BOTH sides of the aisle? Hell, the ban that HAD a sunset, no confiscation, etc, was political suicide for many that voted for it. Check the '96 elections. Senators remember things like this. Senators want to get re-elected, therefore there will be no all-encompassing ban.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#24]
look for obama to go after pistols too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nobody would know what the bill said until it is passed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's what we can expect...

H.R. 1022
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://srv.rowelab.com/DU/riflesfull.jpg

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/images/MMG2.jpg

What in the flying blue fuck are those things
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My guess, permanent version of the last ban if they could even get that.  

This
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Possibly a lot of people that leak when they drink water.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#30]
O has successfully made the EBR the most popular in America only due to his anti stance. People are much better informed today than when the awb passed in the 90's. I doubt they could pull it off again unless via ex order which could cause an overnight civil war
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hope for the best.

Prepare for the worst...........

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit the votes weren't there, because Diane Fuckstick is the only hag crazy enough to bring that idea to the table.

Not a snowball's chance in hell. You realize that is political suicide, on BOTH sides of the aisle? Hell, the ban that HAD a sunset, no confiscation, etc, was political suicide for many that voted for it. Check the '96 elections. Senators remember things like this. Senators want to get re-elected, therefore there will be no all-encompassing ban.

all you want.  It's actually funny because I agree with you that the likelihood of another AWB is pretty remote (due to a variety of reasons), but instead of being condescending, I decided to answer the OPs question.

The OP asked what a potential ban would look like.  If they felt they had the political capital to put another ban in place, I predict the anti gunners would go all out if they tried at all.  

As for what they're willing to do...they did cram Obamacare down our throats despite the backlash because it was a progressive wet dream.  If they had the majority in Congress and the President again, I have no doubt they'd vote for a ban, and damn the consequences....especially if there was another mass shooting they could use to promote the necessity of a ban.  

There were Democrats who lost in 2010 who stated it was worth losing their seat in congress to get Obamacare passed.   And do you really think Finestein is the only radical anti gun member of Congress?    

Not to mention the whole "price of freedom being eternal vigilance" and all that.  Yes, the possibility of a ban is pretty damn remote in the current political climate.  Can you see 10 years into the future?  Yeah, neither can I.  

Lots of fail in your post.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Hope they hell there smarter then to try to ban them all... Id say you would see a civil war again if it was passed...
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

semi-auto only.

I seem to recall Al Gore once describing a .38 snub-nose revolver as an "assault weapon." The term is used by the left to demonize pretty much any type of firearm.

("Assault rifle" is a different story; that term has actual historical & technical meanings.)

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

At this point, we just don't know.

The last one was pretty much a cosmetic only kind of deal. Bayo lugs, magazines over 10 rounds, "Flash hiders," collapsable "Stalks" and the shoulder thing that goes up. It had less than nothing to do with actual operation.

It made less than zero sense, then when people pointed out that AR15's etc were still selling they called that a loophole. Everything made before the ban date, Sep 14 1994 or something like that, was grandfathered and thus "Preban" and thus worth thirty times what it was before the ban.

A Steyr Aug was worth $10,000 and over, I shit you not. You can get them for right around $1600 or whatever those MSAR's are selling for nowadays.

You could still have these guns made before, but mags and guns labeled as "Preban" were a very limited commodity and thus worth significantly more.

A new one, I'm sure, will cover operation of the weapon. I don't think another one is in the works because of this. They'd be not only looking to prevent you from having your AR15, but prevent grandpa fom shooting deer with his BAR clone deer rifle. The AWB was a big reason that teh Dems lost control of the House in 1994 and stopped Clinton from going full retard. Personally I consider the passage of the AWB as one of the big reasons Clinton is largely considered to be a successful president. The Republican freshmen behind Newt Gingrich pretty much stopped Clinton from pandering to the hardcore Left and totally buttfucking our economy. (See: Obama Presidency)

Clinton also specifically cites that single piece of legislation as the reason Gore, lost the Presidency in 2000.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Anything semi-auto, but it won't happen

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Well if it brings back the old AWB, like we have continued and mirrored in NY, you'll have really shitty bans on semi-auto rifle options. If it's semi auto and has a detachable magazine then you basically can't have a collapsible/folding stock, flash hider, bayonet lug, or flash hider/threaded barrel. Muzzle brake is OK but it needs to be permanently attached. Long story short; don't let another AWB happen.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Would all class 3 items be insta-fucked? such as SBRs and Suppressors or anything else registered? Did people have to get rid of their collapsible stocks and pin their flash hiders?
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope for the best.

Prepare for the worst...........

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/callgood/Stuff/IMG_0157.jpg

I like your style sir
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Would all class 3 items be insta-fucked? such as SBRs and Suppressors or anything else registered? Did people have to get rid of their collapsible stocks and pin their flash hiders?

As people have said repeatedly, we just don't know.  Since the last ban was so ineffective, I have a feeling they might write a new one instead of recycling the same old stuff.  

The best option is to get out the vote and forcibly retire anti gun retards in Congress.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This right here folks.

I hope that the votes are never there you commie cow.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
they will not make the mistake of grandfathering like the 1st time around.  

They have to grandfather, otherwise they have to afford every owner due process through a condemnation proceeding and award just compensation for the taking (IOW an epic legal and budgetary clusterfuck with a very low probability of widespread compliance and high probability of at least some sort of violent reaction directed at the idiots who passed it.)

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

NFA items were exempt from the ban last time around.

MG's were exempt, because they weren't semiauto (AW's were defined in the 1994 law as "semiautomatic assault weapons"), SBRs/SBSs had to comply with the 94AWB, but not the import ban (922r).
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Have a shit load of rocks and sticks and other things that can be used as an "assualt weapon".
This is going to be a very extensive bill.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for that info
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for that info

If you'd like to just learn more instead of asking GD random questions about it, here's the basics
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

How would they track/enforce the grandfathered stuff?  I don't have receipts for every piece of gear I bought over the years.  Most of it would be your word against theirs.  

This "ban" seems like another government clusterf**k that leaves all of us open to be f**ked with and no way to prove our innocence.

Easy.  Just require all firearms companies to stamp NEW firearms with a specific term, such as "Keep away from Children", or "Grandfathered", or "I love pie".  Anything without the stamp is preban.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#49]
We've done it to ourselves. Talk to gun enthusiast and you'd think "assault weapons" were more lethal then other guns, even though we all know that's not the case.  The last assault weapons ban focused on aesthetics.  If it "looked" tactical it was bad.   People don't seem to understand the reason they "look" different.  What's "assault" about an "assault" weapon?  

...maintenance.   It's all about creating a durable weapon that can be easily maintained in less then ideal conditions.   That's it. Other then that, the only significant difference is magazine capacity.  

If  a "lone" gunman wants to take out government officials from a distance, which gun is better suited for that purpose?  I could think of a half dozen "Fudd Guns" I'd rather use for that purpose over an AR or AK.  If  a nut job who wants to walk into a shopping mall and mow people down, what gun would produce maximum effect, an AR-15 or Walmart "special" 12 gauge sawed down with a hacksaw just before the event?   Let's face it.  It comes down to "looks" for a lot of the none- shooting public.  They don't understand the "looks" have nothing to do with the lethality.  

Gun enthusiasts should focus on educating their none-enthusiast friends about this fact.  Our guns look this way because they were designed to be durable and easily maintained in less then ideal environments   That's it.  Keep it simple, stupid.   The sad truth is most of us won't do this.  We like that our weapons look "bad ass" and enjoy the illusion that they are more "powerful" or efficient killing tools.  

IF the anti's want to kill our passion they'll stop focusing on looks and instead focus on mags.  They'll forget about an "assault weapons ban" and focus on the mags.  They'd be able to kill us by simply outlawing "removable" mags, they'd kneecap us if they just put stringent limits on mag capacity.  Both of these would suck-royal, especially if they didn't have grandfather clauses. Imagine a world of wheel guns, and breechloaders...

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#50]
There ARE no "implications".  There will be NO assault weapons ban.  Sheesh...<<shaking head>>

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top