Author
Zombies -
Posted: 10/16/2012 6:01:14 PM EST
I recently spoke with a couple of guys about cleaning suppressors and both recommended U/S with water. So...there I went and bought one from Harbor Freight. I know their value for steel and such for cleaning, but when I started looking for solvents and other solutions for cleaning suppressors all I could find online was neagative info several years old. Most of the negative feedback was around aluminum suppressors and the damage it COULD do to them.

Is all of this information still viable? Are the U/S cleaners detrimental to all aluminum?

Wes
"Treefrogs aren't good for racin', though..." - OnlineAlltheTime (sitting next to me)
SETXshooter
Zombies -
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 3:55:21 AM EST
Bump for day crew.
"Treefrogs aren't good for racin', though..." - OnlineAlltheTime (sitting next to me)
rebelceb
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 5:25:18 PM EST
An ultrasonic will destroy Aluminum.
Take a sheet of foil and drop it in an ultrasonic and watch it desintegrate

tabraha
Because somebody has to give you coordinates...
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 5:29:40 PM EST
I was gonna go this route too for my suppressor until I started reading the no no's in the armory forum.

I believe I'm just gonna let it bathe in Kroil.
DanTSX
Blueblooded Yankee Carpetbagger :I
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 5:32:20 PM EST
I do it to my AAC element.

shit is so caked on, that it doesn't do much.

it's good to help keep it clean, but if you let it build up like I do, your going to need to sandblast it.

remember to oil any non-aluminum gun parts you put through there. Shit will rust in a fucking hurry (as in minutes) if you put it in an ultrasonic cleaner.
Max Hardcore is not a crime!
cchurchi
Burning gas and gunpowder since 1977
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 5:35:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2012 5:38:28 PM EST by cchurchi]
Although I have an ultra-sonic cleaner, I wouldn't use it to clean my suppressors.

I have a cheap soda blaster that I used to clean these baffles.

I have also heard of people using a Thumlers-tumbler with stainless pins. I might try that next time because soda blasting takes a long time if the baffles are extra dirty.

discworld717
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 6:28:48 PM EST
I use an u/s a lot and it can: ruin aluminum, make stainless steel rust, damage already worn finishes. I really like u/s but it is one step in a process not a magic bullet. They are worth it. Just take your time and get used to it.
Originally Posted By CTbuilder1:
Anytime the question starts with "are people really stupid enough to.............," the answer is yes. The answer is always yes.
SETXshooter
Zombies -
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 6:57:45 PM EST
So, we are still a mixed bag. I have a few sealed pistol cans and of course the rifle ones. Not so much worried about the rifle ones. My Prodigy is pretty cakey right now, though. As for destroying aluminum based on sheet foil, that is a test used to see if it is working, haven't read much on it destroying higher strength material like the suppressor baffles or bodies.

May end up using it for trigger packs and other complex mechanisms.

Keep the knowledge coming in though.

Wes
Boom_Stick
I produce freedom in mass quantities
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 7:12:39 PM EST
SWR has a video on youtube where they clean an Octane 9 guts with u/c and they state what cleaner they use. Looks easy but you still cant clean your tube in it.

After all the research I've done I'm going with a soda blaster.
AKs are for third world villagers who have to be reminded not to $hit in the well water.

كافر
SETXshooter
Zombies -
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/18/2012 3:34:25 AM EST
I will check the video out but I still need a way to clean a sealed pistol can, and the tube on the ones I can break down. May look into jail breaking.

Wes
thirsty
Potty Mouth
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/18/2012 3:39:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By rebelceb:
An ultrasonic will destroy Aluminum.
Take a sheet of foil and drop it in an ultrasonic and watch it desintegrate

True, however higher grades of aluminum, like alloy pistol frames, will withstand the cleaner better than aluminum foil. However, the ultrasonic cleaner will eventually weaken/destroy aluminum. I avoid putting anything aluminum in mine.

The hotter the solution you clean in, the better the clean. I throw my bolt carriers and other misc. steel parts in mine. It works great.

Has anyone run an entire polymer pistol in one for a full cleaning cycle?
NRA Certified Basic Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OKSoda
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/18/2012 4:00:39 AM EST
Aluminum is a no no.

For those of you worried about water, I get that, but why not use WD-40 instead of water in the machine?

That's what I did and it seemed to work a hell of a lot better than water. I just bought the gallon/whatever it was giant can of it from the hardware store. Used it for a few years before it got thick, and I just changed it out.
discworld717
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/18/2012 6:23:37 AM EST
OKsoda,

The reasons I don't use WD40 is that the cleaners are usually set up for water and wd40 dries poorly. It can really lock up a gun.
Originally Posted By CTbuilder1:
Anytime the question starts with "are people really stupid enough to.............," the answer is yes. The answer is always yes.
OKSoda
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/18/2012 6:28:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By discworld717:
OKsoda,

The reasons I don't use WD40 is that the cleaners are usually set up for water and wd40 dries poorly. It can really lock up a gun.

My cleaner was set up for water. Got it from ALDI for about $20, 8 years ago and it hasn't done any harm. I only use it as a cleaning solvent, so when I pull my parts out I shoot it all with brake and electric motor cleaner, paint thinner, acetone or use alcohol to get the WD off. I almost get hives when I think water+steel, but I thought I'd throw out how I clean the crap off.