Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/16/2012 4:52:41 PM EDT
Is it worth it? It's a good looking truck, but it's $50k. A guy could get a regular F150 and mod it out yourself, but you wouldn't have the awesome grill. Would love to have one as my next truck, but $50freakingk. I think my dmax stickered up there, but I got it well under sticker, and my kids were a lot cheaper back then. I don't know if they sell Raptors @ invoice. Not a serious shopper at the moment, just dreaming.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Raptors....

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know why but I'd buy one if I could afford it. I've got a 2012 F150 4x4.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Raptors....  

Don't worry, these have big wheels. It is the low riding raptors you have to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I like that a manufacturer has shown interest in an off road truck.
With that said, you are better off rolling your own.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
good god, I am looking at houses on 2 acres that cost less then that
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#6]
They are expensive because they are awesome and have a very limited market.

Plus what does doing all that modding do to a warranty? I'd go with the factory win if I could justify the price.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/07/ford-svt-raptor-frame-bent-opt.jpg

Ooh! That don't look good.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#8]
just buy it. we have highrollers here in GD. some member here bought his kid one for his bday.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
BADD ASS TRUCK...
That if driven hard.

You'll bend the frame.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/07/ford-svt-raptor-frame-bent-opt.jpg

Let the retardation begin.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you priced a "regular" F150 4x4 w/6.2 V8?  Not priced much lower.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not really, but saw dealer ads for various F150's from 25's to low 30's. No idea on options, etc.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The retardation began with stamping an access hole above a bump stop.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raptor Threads bring out teh st00pid.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I was this  ––-><––- close to buying one.  Maybe closer really.  Then I decided my 2003 F-150 is more than good enough for me and I wouldn't of had a new $25,000 debt burden.  

Someday I may own one but its going to be used. And I'll have the cash on hand. Even then I'll probably talk myself out of it because who knows how beat to hell it is.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Those are badass trucks, and I'm not a Ford guy. If I had the money and honestly needed those capabilities from a truck I would buy one in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people don't like being told their truck can break.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh, troll harder.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#19]
buy a tundra rock warrior edition. Its cheaper, faster, and and an all around better truck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#20]
See the SEALs driving them around all the time here.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#21]
They have fancy shocks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, but saw dealer ads for various F150's from 25's to low 30's. No idea on options, etc.

Sticker for "similarly equipped" 6.2 trucks retailed at around $48,000 when I was truck shopping. Now, the dealer was able to come down a bit in addition to my A plan pricing.

The Raptor was at $52k with no discounts or A plan eligibility.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh, troll harder.

I've actually given the OP my opinion.
You've only come into a thread butthurt trying to throw insults.

Who is the troll here?

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Buy an older truck out-of-warranty and then mod it without worrying about voiding the warranty.

And come up tens of thousands of dollars ahead....

Win-Win.

There is really no reason to ever buy a new-car...they devalue thousands the minute you drive off the lot!  I can't imagine anything else worse than that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Truck prices are FUBAR. MSRP on a "regular" F150 that is like the raptor start at 35k.

Used truck prices are through the roof, and you can pay well under MSRP on a new truck. I had an email from a dealer for an FX4 quote that I requested. 37k. The email automatically attached recommendations for a "more affordable" used FX4 with the same options - 38k! More for an older, used truck!
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Because she's a clever girl.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#27]
because the market will bear the price

this is a very OWS question.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you post a link to recent incidents where the frame bent in the middle. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Truck prices are FUBAR. MSRP on a "regular" F150 that is like the raptor start at 35k.    

Used truck prices are through the roof, and you can pay well under MSRP on a new truck. I had an email from a dealer for an FX4 quote that I requested. 37k. The email automatically attached recommendations for a "more affordable" used FX4 with the same options - 38k! More for an older, used truck!

One of the reasons I bought my F150. I shouldn't end up underwater on it.

Edit: just checked KBB private party value. Worth what I paid for it after 7300 miles. W00t!
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's a good looking truck

it's $50k.

Well, you're half right...

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your truck will break if you hit a jump at 125 miles an hour

It's a Raptor not a trophy truck

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#32]
because when you abuse the fuck out of your truck, paying more for it makes you feel morally superior when bitching about abuse not being covered under warranty.

and because you want to do this with it when you should take the advice above and roll your own if this is what you want to do.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#33]
The Raptor is definately worth the price, if you want an offroad capable truck from the factory. I don't think you could build a comparable truck for less money, honestly. Or at least, it can't be done without stripping out a lot of the creature comforts.

Comparing a base F-150 with mods isn't a good comparison. The Raptor is similar to an FX4 in terms of trim levels. The FX4 with a 6.2L starts at $42,000, compared to the Raptor that starts at $43,300. You're only spending an extra $1,000 or so. For the price difference you get:

Completely different suspension
Different axles with a wider track width
Wider fenders and bedsides with a different hood and grill
4.10 Gears, which is normally only available with the Ecoboost
Offroad mode, and hill descent, which are basically factory PCM tunes that are optimized for offroad use
35" tires
And other minor goodies, like the upfitter switches that are prewired to add offroad lights to the truck.

The frame bending issue is grossly overstated. It has only occured on a small percentage of trucks after extremely heavy offroad use, but Ford seemed to address it anyways and the issue is fixed IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ooh! That don't look good.

that's what happens when you try to duplicate the commercials on TV.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I ordered a new 2011 loaded for invoice at $47k. Love it. Many people who say to take a regular truck and build it up miss that many of the controls and features will still be left out. Its more than a truck with suspension and an engine. The transmission has about a hundred modes for racing, speed, climbing, etc. In dash gauges for roll and pitch, status messages, etc. There are many electronics to let you know whats going on with the truck and to control it.

I mainly use my raptor for pleasure. I like to find mountain trails to go up. I love the HUGE back seats that fold up. I can load up my dogs and have space left over. I love that it sits high off the ground and goes through snow like its nots there.

I recently went to help my father find a new truck. Nothing special. But many trucks were priced around $40k and didn't have near the capability.

My only regret is I don't have a 2012. I really wanted air conditioned seats
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#36]
For the same reason the Corvette is.
Neither are worth the price!
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I ordered a new 2011 loaded for invoice at $47k. Love it. Many people who say to take a regular truck and build it up miss that many of the controls and features will still be left out. Its more than a truck with suspension and an engine. The transmission has about a hundred modes for racing, speed, climbing, etc. In dash gauges for roll and pitch, status messages, etc. There are many electronics to let you know whats going on with the truck and to control it.

I mainly use my raptor for pleasure. I like to find mountain trails to go up. I love the HUGE back seats that fold up. I can load up my dogs and have space left over. I love that it sits high off the ground and goes through snow like its nots there.

I recently went to help my father find a new truck. Nothing special. But many trucks were priced around $40k and didn't have near the capability.

My only regret is I don't have a 2012. I really wanted air conditioned seats

You're a lucky man; I envy you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
buy a tundra rock warrior edition. Its cheaper, faster, and and an all around better truck.

That truck does look good.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you post a link to recent incidents where the frame bent in the middle. Thanks

Most are from last year. Ford says they have it fixed. I haven't looked at any new ones to verify. I know the one that came off the lot last January still had the open access hole. Last I talked to the owner, he had plated the inside frame rail.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#40]
The Raptor is a nice truck that appeals to people who want a more aggressive truck than the standard F-150 line.

But that can't afford a trophy truck, and the maintenance they require.

Is it better than any other standard stock truck?  Most likely yes.

But the people who are trying to baja them and bending the frames are idiots.

This.

Does not equal this...

And just to be fair, neither is this.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic26385_2.gif

Looks nice. I'll tell you though... Ever since I got the raptor I have taken more notice of other large trucks. Not so much because I feel like I'm in competition with them but because I have a better appreciation for them now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They are expensive because they are awesome and have a very limited market.

Plus what does doing all that modding do to a warranty? I'd go with the factory win if I could justify the price.

The moment you drove it off the lot you voided the warranty.  If you think Ford will warranty that shit you're dreaming.  They already try to squirm out of the piss poor engineering in strictly passenger cars.

Face it, there is no warranty on a Raptor.  Its a great truck, but don't expect them to kiss your ass.  If you've driven it off pavement they will look for every way to screw you on the warranty.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks nice. I'll tell you though... Ever since I got the raptor I have taken more notice of other large trucks. Not so much because I feel like I'm in competition with them but because I have a better appreciation for them now.

I havent checked, how do the prices for these two trucks compare?
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Putting an access hole over a bump stop is somewhat of a boneheaded move, but let's keep things in perspective...

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Raptors....  

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I ordered a 2012 Raptor which was $43,700 (close to invoice).  That's a lot of money, but it's not much more than other new half ton trucks.  The off road equipment and setup on the Raptor is night and day beyond that of any other truck on the market.  The Raptor has triple bypass Fox coil-over/external res shocks, e-locker which acts like a spool up to 100 MPH, front Torsen LSD, outstanding off road electric gadgetry, 7" wider track than any other half ton, 35" BFG AT KO's, custom fiberglass front end and rear bedsides, significantly beefed up suspension and steering components, awesome 411 HP 6.2L V8, along with a bunch of other stuff.  

Every time I get airborne in mine, it feels like it was worth every penny.  There's just something about flying through the air in a 6,000 pound truck that puts a smile on my face.  I added a few things, including the RPG Stage 2 suspension and a 20" Rigid LED lightbar.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Last time I priced new trucks was in 2010, a F150 XL (Base package, Vinyl seats, Auto, small V-8, 4x4) was 22k, the STX (next step up with cloth seats, same otherwise, might have had power win. and d/l) was 25k, XLT (carpet floors!, and with power options, Mid V-8) was 30k, Adding the Larado package was like 5k more, ext cab was 2-5k more, and crew was even more then that iirc.

Truck market is out of proportion right now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#49]
You get the 30k cool ass decal package.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its already started...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top