Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/11/2012 6:01:43 AM EDT
I spent a good portion of my life in the auto industry as a service writer/service manager and even auto sales for a bit, but I really don't have much experience with Land Rovers.

A good buddy of mine just bought a used LR2 for his wife. It was amazingly cheap for what it is...there are so many off road options it is mind boggling!

Anyway, I mentioned this to my gf and it turns out that a girl at her work just bought a used one for a nice price; they went to lunch together and she really likes Land Rovers now

My buddy told me to avoid the Discovery and the other low end model as they are junk.

I found an 06 LR3 that looks nice and would be right in her price range with her trade but it's got almost 75k on it

How long do these things usually last?

Any service/parts issues I should be aware of with the miles?

Are they hard to work in if god forbid I had to work on it myself?

Thanks GD,
Speed

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
LR's are junk...Run, run far away.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

All of them?

Please, tell me what you know. I've noticed that brand forums tend to be very biased so I'm asking here

Speed

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#3]
they rove land. get a mach 5
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:11:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a boss who loved them. he had 7 land rovers to keep 3 of them running. He would travel 100's of miles to trailer back ones he bought off the internet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This. They are mechanical nightmares. They are junk. If you want a luxurious SUV look no further than a used Toyota Lancruiser.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#6]
They used to be amazing offroad vehicles (think Land Cruiser on steroids) before Ford bought the brand.  Once that happened they started to go to shit.  Many owners have lots of issues with their LR's and parts/ labor is very expensive.  It's not worth it especially for a used one.  This is just my thoughts and feelings on them so take it for what it's worth.  I will say the new vehicles are very sharp looking they just aren't particularly reliable.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

All of them?
Please, tell me what you know. I've noticed that brand forums tend to be very biased so I'm asking here

Speed

Looked briefly at a LR3 a few years ago that I had an opportunity to buy cheap. In short, reliability has been spotty and parts god-awful expensive parts. Mind you I got this information from my local mechanic I've learned to trust, he did say the Range Rover is a much better vehicle but you pay for it. Believe it was the LR2 that LR got sued over for using Chinese-made engine and had some sort of engine mount problem. My advice is to look at a Lexus GX which is in the same category as the RR and a much better vehicle but you'll pay for it as well.

Have you and your GF considered a BMW X5. Those models are pretty much bullet-proof and made is South Carolina.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a friend (master mechanic) that years ago worked at a Mercedes/Rover dealer.  When I asked him about them he said they were fine, but buy two so that you'd always have one while the other was in the shop.  No personal experience with them though.  He kind of scared me away.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. They are mechanical nightmares. They are junk. If you want a luxurious SUV look no further than a used Toyota Lancruiser.

Land Cruiser > Range Rover in most cases. Lots of electrical issues IIRC. I've known a few people with them as well and every single one of them has had issues.

If you are going to buy a new RR and trade it in a few years then you may not have many issues, but I'd stay away from used ones.

Finding a good deal on a used Land Cruiser will be a trick though. I've been looking for a long time myself.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]
The image, 'lifestyle', and history of LR is awesome. Zipping across Africa and the middle east, killing lions and elephant, sipping tea and ruling the locals with a firm yet fair fist.

The reality is electrical gremlins, leaking of every sort of fluid from every hose and fitting, while driving a loaner from the service department as you spend another K on repairs this month.

Best decision I made in a long time as passing on a disco years ago.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
LR's come with factory installed electrical shorts and complimenting opens. Lucas is known as "The Prince of Darkness" for a valid reason.

Here, this will help:  http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html  

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#12]
People do not generally look to British engineering for long lasting quality. And I'm pretty sure they let 12 year olds design the electric systems in cars there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of them?

Speed

Looked briefly at a LR3 a few years ago that I had an opportunity to buy cheap. In short, reliability has been spotty and parts god-awful expensive parts. Mind you I got this information from my local mechanic I've learned to trust, he did say the Range Rover is a much better vehicle but you pay for it. Believe it was the LR2 that LR got sued over for using Chinese-made engine and had some sort of engine mount problem. My advice is to look at a Lexus GX which is in the same category as the RR and a much better vehicle but you'll pay for it as well.

Have you and your GF considered a BMW X5. Those models are pretty much bullet-proof and made is South Carolina.

Thanks, I've just begun to look around for her. I'll check out the BMW, but I'm always leery of used BMWs

She's from Texas and this will be her 3rd winter here. She lucked out last year as we didn't have much snow, but they are predicting some good snow for this year. I'd really like to get her in something AWD/4WD, but she doesn't like anything that we could essentially "trade" her paid off Equinox for.

I figure if she's going to have another payment, she might as well gets something she likes.

She works at an insurance office now and everyone has fucking Mercedes and BMWs, so she's hung up on something "luxury"

Speed

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a used 2006 LR3 and have been very happy.  I bought it with 55k on it and now have 109k.  Issues I have had can be mostly attributed to it being from Texas and having been outside in the heat a good bit.  Plastics fading and drying.  Only defect is the sunroof developed a leak which has been fixed and my NAV went out.  The NAV going out brings up the biggest drawback to owning one.....parts are expensive.  If you own one you want to look online and become familiar with the enthusiast websites and alternative sites for parts etc.  Dealerships will kill you on parts and labor.

We have had some bad weather and the thing is unstoppable in ice and snow.  Also, did quite well offroad with just regular street tires during the Tornado outbreak we had a year or so ago ..... I had to wheel through very wet fields , hills, and firebreaks to get to my in-laws place... trees down everywhere.

The days of lucas electronics etc are over.  It has a jaguar engine and most other parts are from the Ford/Jaguar/Volvo combo that was the Ford Corp back in the day.  Good truck.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:21:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I've seen a few of the really old LR/RR/whatever's being driven around. One that was at the mall covered in mud and had tree branches still stuck in the roof rack.

Now those, those look awesome. The new ones, meh, trophy wife carrier it what they look like.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I can only speak to my experience. I know there are plenty of Land Rover horror stories out there but I've been lucky. Have an 08 Range Rover sport. 53k miles on it so far and the only issue I've had is needing to replace the rear tailgate latch and having a shifter that would stick and not fully put the car in gear. Both were replaced under the warranty. I've driven it in muddy fields and through 2+ feet of snow with no problems.

I have a good Land Rover mechanic near me and also live near the HQ for Atlantic British which is a big Land Rover parts distributor so I wouldn't have to wait for parts too long. Once it serves out it's life as a daily driver I'll start tinkering with it but that's still a few years down the road.  

Before the brand pissing matches start, I also have an 01 XJ with lots of mods. They're two very different vehicles. Both great off road capability. The RR is the daily driver and if I'm going way out in the woods I take the Jeep. Mostly because the Jeep has a winch and recovery gear, I can fix most problems myself, and the parts are cheaper.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:23:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I bought a used 2006 LR3 and have been very happy.  I bought it with 55k on it and now have 109k.  Issues I have had can be mostly attributed to it being from Texas and having been outside in the heat a good bit.  Plastics fading and drying.  Only defect is the sunroof developed a leak which has been fixed and my NAV went out.  The NAV going out brings up the biggest drawback to owning one.....parts are expensive.  If you own one you want to look online and become familiar with the enthusiast websites and alternative sites for parts etc.  Dealerships will kill you on parts and labor.

We have had some bad weather and the thing is unstoppable in ice and snow.  Also, did quite well offroad with just regular street tires during the Tornado outbreak we had a year or so ago ..... I had to wheel through very wet fields , hills, and firebreaks to get to my in-laws place... trees down everywhere.

The days of lucas electronics etc are over.  It has a jaguar engine and most other parts are from the Ford/Jaguar/Volvo combo that was the Ford Corp back in the day.  Good truck.

What year and up should i be looking at to avoid the issues people are talking about?

Speed

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Had a disco I. More reliable than my Chevy k1500. Bought both and got rid of both at 160k. Biggest problem you will run into is the price of parts. LR have a very small after market following.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I greatly respect the off road capabilities of Land Rovers, I would love to have a Defender, but I don't want to deal with the electrical issues and expensive parts. I have a 95 80series Toyota Land Cruiser, and while it's not maintenece free(it's almost 20 years old), it is easy to work on, there is a larve aftermarket for it, and I can order parts from any Toyota dealer, if necessary, since they are a bit more plentiful than Land Rover dealers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Counterpoint here.

The wife and I have an LR4 and love it.

Powerful, comfortable, thus far, trouble free, though we only have about 17,000 miles on ours  With the HD package which includes a locking rear differential, it is a capable offroad vehicle.

On the LR4, at least, the factory tires do suck for anything other than commuting.  Plan on scrounging up a new set of wheels, as the funky 19" factory wheels don't fit any offroad tires available this side of the Atlantic.

Another couple of nitpicks is the limited range due to smallish (22 gallon) gas tank, and per the Rover forums, factory brake pads are reputedly of very short life span.

Otherwise, this is my favorite SUV we have ever had, and the only one I wouuld consider for my own daily driver over my F150.

Shoot me an IM and I wil let you know if it blows up down the road.  I'm not one of those guys who gets emotionally attached to their car, so if it turns in to a turd, I'll be the first to say so.

So far though, it gets a thumbs up from me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#21]
All LR3s will have new ignition and electronics.  The lucas stuff is very old.  I think they went to a decent (gems) ignition in the late 80s or 90s on the disco2 and then went to bmw ignition for 2003-2004.  I am a little rough with those dates.  The lucas stuff you will encounter with the older "wild kingdom" type of land rover.  

On another note , the reason they call it the LR3 instead of Discovery 3 is because the Discovery name had a bad reputation in the states.  Big part of that was the engine which would leak and was a pretty poor design (old design) - very modified buick motor I believe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

All LR3s will have new ignition and electronics.  The lucas stuff is very old.  I think they went to a decent (gem tech) ignition in the late 80s or 90s on the disco2 and then went to bmw ignition for 2003-2004.  I am a little rough with those dates.  The lucas stuff you will encounter with the older "wild kingdom" type of land rover.  

On another note , the reason they call it the LR3 instead of Discovery 3 is because the Discovery name had a bad reputation in the states.  Big part of that was the engine which would leak and was a pretty poor design (old design) - very modified buick motor I believe.

Thanks.

So 04 and up, LR2 or higher, and I should be relatively safe from electrical issues?

How long do these things usually last for without needing major repairs?

God, I really wish she was more interested in some Jap luxury SUVs

Speed

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#23]

I saw a lot of LR Defenders in Barbados (right side steering) and the guy I talked to who had one seemed to like his.  I'd love to have a Defender 110 if they weren't so scarce here and parts and maintanance weren't such an issue.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#24]
My friend bought a used Discovery from a neighbor , it needed an axle bearing. He fixed it got it running , it has needed something ever since . He has found all of the cheaper online places for parts . It is like having a second job. It is great off road and has been the standard assorted electrical issues as well as the heads warped when it got hot once , sheet metal is expensive as well
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I had one.  I would not buy another.  I certainly wouldn't pick one up cheap.  I know exactly why I sold mine cheap.

Parts are STUPID expensive.  It just wasn't that good.  New transmission at 63K plus a ton of other problems associated.  It was going to need a new motor at 68K.  I know my sample size is small but I'm done with them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I have an LR4 on my shortlist, but I don't think I would get into a used one. Seems that the newer models are more reliable. The problem with Land Rovers is 1) maintenance is really expensive. Like $1000+ for a brake job 2) repairs and parts are very very expensive, and 3) resale is soft because of 1 and 2 and general reliability issues.

Land Rovers are really utility/offroad vehicles (if equipt right). Better luxury options. in PA, she should look at a Jap model. We have an RX. It's a capable grocery getter in the snow and she would be fine with BMWs and mercedes.

I'd stay away from the LR3 unless you really know what you are getting into. An X5 is a better choice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:46:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Yea dunno if I would mess with the LR2s.  So that would mean 2005 and up.  It may be advisable to stay away from 2005 since it was first model year.  As far as repairs, hard to say when you will get stung.  

I tried the japanese trucks - four runner but they kill my back.  I can't stand to have my feet sticking out that far in front of me.  I am 6'2" and 195 lbs. with a rough back and prefer to sit upright like a chair with my legs down to a certain extent.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#28]
i would not buy one. have heard way too many complaints from owner's over the years

there is a reason the used ones go for so cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are thousands of horror stories out there about landrovers.

i would look for a land cruiser from toyota/lexus and be done.

if you want a nice type of suv

take a look at a tahoe that is loaded. my family has one and they are super nice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I saw a lot of LR Defenders in Barbados (right side steering) and the guy I talked to who had one seemed to like his.  I'd love to have a Defender 110 if they weren't so scarce here and parts and maintanance weren't such an issue.

http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/plugins/PostviaEmail/images/Land_Rover_Defender_110_Four_Door_4_Pick_Up_Truck_4x4_For_Sale_resize.jpg

I'd punch a baby to get the chance to own a Defender.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yea dunno if I would mess with the LR2s.  So that would mean 2005 and up.  It may be advisable to stay away from 2005 since it was first model year.  As far as repairs, hard to say when you will get stung.  

I tried the japanese trucks - four runner but they kill my back.  I can't stand to have my feet sticking out that far in front of me.  I am 6'2" and 195 lbs. with a rough back and prefer to sit upright like a chair with my legs down to a certain extent.

Thanks. So 06+ and LR3 or higher.

IDK what you mean about the seats in Jap trucks though...my Titan has an 8 way power seat; you can adjust it out however you like
Speed

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Here is the best thing I can tell you about a LR.

Buy a Jeep.

There.

I said it.

I meant it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I have an 01 discovery 2 and i would recommend getting an lr3.. much of the older discovery problems were worked out in the discovery 3 (lr3).. also.. do some research on the land rover forums.. not arf gd..
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Land Cruiser /thread
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'd love a Defender.  

Done.

Speed

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I have an 01 discovery 2 and i would recommend getting an lr3.. much of the older discovery problems were worked out in the discovery 3 (lr3).. also.. do some research on the land rover forums.. not arf gd..

Good advice .
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#37]
My disco leaked a lot of oil. So did my k1500.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I've had my '04 Discovery II since '08 and I haven't had any major problems and I use mine offroad, road trips and towing. When the winters get really bad my orange beast is unstoppable. My passenger side door lock did go out, but they were less than $100 each if you know where to look. I will agree that the BMW years made parts stupid expensive. I'm 8 hours away from a LR dealership, but I'm confident I won't need them. One day I WILL own a Defender 110 300 Tdi.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll take a Military lightweight (airdrop-capable), please.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd love a Defender.  

Done.

http://videogamecritic.net/images/2600/defender.png

Speed

I loved that game - and totally sucked at it.

Awesome sound!!  

I played it so much in the arcade that when I got the cartridge for my 2600 I was disappointed as fuck

The C64 version was pretty good though

Speed

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Had a 96 LR Discovery bought new in 96. It was the biggest POS vehicle I ever purchased. Traded it a year later for a 97 Toyota LC one of the best vehicle I ever owned.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#43]
run.  the owner of the company I work for has one and every time it comes out of storage, it needs work.  (he comes into the country maybe twice a year?  this thing has maybe 55k on it...it's basically a status symbol apparently).  Of course, he always insists that we take it to the dealership when it has issues and being a 'company car' technically, we always eat the cost and it's at least a grand a pop.  The best was the 5k stereo repair, but that's a whole other rant.

I took a welding course at a local community college, and behold...one of the people in that class was one of the mechanics from that very range rover dealership.  I mentioned our experiences and he said they were not uncommon and he'd never buy one and they're money pits.  He said if you want one as a status symbol, buy it new and sell it before the warranty runs out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#44]
They are very nice until they go bad. And then they just keep getting even worse, and draining your pocket.  My buddy didn't learn his lesson on his first one. He did on the second one. As was said; keep away.   There is a reason used ones are so cheap.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd love a Defender.  

Yep

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

IDK what you mean about the seats in Jap trucks though...my Titan has an 8 way power seat; you can adjust it out however you like

Speed

If you can afford it, I'd go with an older Porsche Cayanne. Great offroad, good styling, great handling and performance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

If you can afford it, I'd go with an older Porsche Cayanne. Great offroad, good styling, great handling and performance.

She's not getting Carmela Sopranos car until I have my business empire and dream house

Speed

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Land Rover Defenders and Range Rovers used to be great, then thye were bought by Ford Who raped them for technology and turned them into expensive Escapes and crap Explorers. If you want a decent one you have to go before a 1998 V8 Diesel. Then you have to remember the electronics are British.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

That car is the number 1 argument for the removal of RPG's from the NFA list.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:35:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

That car is the number 1 argument for the removal of RPG's from the NFA list.

No,

This one is

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top