BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Forgot to add: As far as I know, I never had chickenpox, and my mother (88) doesn't remember if I had them or not, but my doc insists I must have had them if I got shingles. I must  have had them as an infant or toddler.

I was told that my extremely light case of chicken pox had made me susceptible to shingles.

You could have had a case so minor that it didn't really register.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

i know this is a stupid question but:

how do you know the difference between acne on your back and shingles?

Shingles affects the nerves, so it is very painful.

I'd compare it to getting stung by a jellyfish.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Shingles suck! One experience i hope not to repeat.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The lowest age to get the Shingles vaccine is now 55.
Got mine last week.
When did this change? I called last month and they refused to give me the shot even after offering to pay for it out of pocket.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is everyone posting about Herpes? I thought (From reading the magazine ads) that shingles was from the chicken pox virus.

The family Herpesviridae contains several delightful viruses which infect humans: Herpes Simplex 1 (primarily cold sores), Herpes Simplex 2 (primarily genital herpes), Epstein-Barr (mononucleosis), Cytomegalovirus, and Varicella-Zoster virus (chickenpox/shingles).

One of my father's collegues did one of the 1st mortuary studies on the "herpes" family of viruses back in the 70s; she found that about 80% of the cadavers had contracted "herpes" sometime during their lives.

Herpes: its for everyone!

HSV-1 is transmitted primarily by salivary secretions, and by the time most kids get to puberty they have already been exposed to it and have some immunity.  Finding 80% of cadavers with evidence of HSV-1 infection would be expected.

That is why genital herpes infections with HSV-1 are much milder and have lower recurrence rates than those with HSV-2, which is primarily transmitted by sexual intercourse and is not as common.  Most infections with HSV-2 occur after the age of 15.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i was looking at pictures and would like to know

Shingles tend to run in a straight line, following the nerve.

Also, as Wingnut noted, shingles produce constant pain and tingling, as opposed to acne, which usually only hurts when you apply pressure.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why is everyone posting about Herpes?  I thought (From reading the magazine ads) that shingles was from the chicken pox virus.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I got them at 23 due to getting Ecoli from Taco Bell. Projectile vomiting, anal leakage, 102 degree fever, itching, burning, oozing, and horrible pain that felt so deep it could have been in my lung.

Fuck Taco Bell. They offered me a free meal card though.

I now save receipts from when ever I eat out for 48 hours. Had I kept the receipt I'd probably still be living off lawsuit money.
If you got it from taco bell you could not have been the only one, it might have been from another source?

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just a guess but I'd say the incredible amount of pain. At least that's what mine and other people have said. Mine ended up blistering. Thusly leaving an annoying scar. I had the lucky nerve that goes from ass to crotch so it looked like I had the other herpes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Wife got them literally on her 30th birthday.
Worst.  Present.  Ever.

She got them on her head, neck, upper back.
She was messed up for a couple weeks between the meds and the pain.

We both had chicken pox as kids - her case was VERY severe, mine was very weak.
My luck sucks, so I am expecting to get them on my balls or something.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Worst. Present. Ever.

Actually, being exposed to someone with chickenpox or shingles might help prevent your shingles by "re-vaccinating" you and increasing your immunity to the virus, thus helping keep future outbreaks in check.

One of the theories about the increase in shingles is that people aren't having as many kids, and thanks to the vaccine the kids they do have no longer get chickenpox so people aren't being re-exposed to the virus and their immunity to chickenpox slowly decreases, making them more susceptible to recurrent infections in the form of shingles.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh, you'll know.

I had a mild case and it was still fucking awful. Also, they gave me creams and shit that was supposed to help. None did. My sister had some stuff (she has gotten shingles too) and gave it to me saying, "This stuff is better than what they gave you but still won't do much."

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I had my shingle outbreak in 2003.  Entire left side of my face including my eye and inner eyelid.  Worst pain I have ever experienced.  Mild scarring on my face and some residual pain.

A buddy of mine was in the Marine Corps, he had a shingle outbreak on his crotch about three weeks after getting back from deployment to Okinawa.  His wife refused to believe it was shingles, insisted that he had some funky sort of V.D., and divorced him.

He said it was worth the pain to be rid of the bitch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
dont that have a vaccine for that shit?
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm on immune suppressive drugs due to kidney transplant. Shingles show up every year or two.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
dont that have a vaccine for that shit?

Yeah, but you have to be 55 or older. If you're younger, you're SOL.

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I still have very sharp pain in my lower back. Almost like I pulled it. Which I may have. Did you have sharp lower back pain with yours?
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shingles affects the nerves, so it is very painful.

I'd compare it to getting stung by a jellyfish.

It looks very different, too.
It'll also show up in just a single dermatome (it won't cross the middle of your back/chest/face), unless you're pretty severely immunocompromised and have eruptions in multiple ganglia at once.

Link Posted: 10/13/2012 3:07:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Worst.  Present.  Ever.

When I got it there it pretty much stayed away from my dick and balls and just went around them. There were some little zit looking things on the bsse of my dick and some just on the transition from crotch to sack but they weren't bad at all. It was the ones that were right in the area from my leg to my crotch that gave me the most trouble. They rubbed up against each other and were hell any time I had to move.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 3:25:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I always thought it only affected older people.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 3:27:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was told when I got it that once you get it, you're done. I had it 20 years ago and haven't had any problems since.
It wasn't fun, I had it on my neck, back of my head and cheek.

A friend at work had is recently. He said the same thing. I thought shingles was always there just waiting to start up again
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 3:32:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The lowest age to get the Shingles vaccine is now 55.
Got mine last week.
When did this change? I called last month and they refused to give me the shot even after offering to pay for it out of pocket.

Why would they refuse to give you the shot? Are there risks involved?
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had my shingle outbreak in 2003.  Entire left side of my face including my eye and inner eyelid.  Worst pain I have ever experienced.  Mild scarring on my face and some residual pain.

A buddy of mine was in the Marine Corps, he had a shingle outbreak on his crotch about three weeks after getting back from deployment to Okinawa.  His wife refused to believe it was shingles, insisted that he had some funky sort of V.D., and divorced him.

He said it was worth the pain to be rid of the bitch.

Link Posted: 10/14/2012 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

shingles are a bitch.... broad came to work with an outbreak two weeks later I learned I never had chicken pox

sucks when your 30 and have chicken pox, kind of ruined my bad boy rep

you need a viral to kill that shit man

I have never had chicken pox and I am 38.

Link Posted: 10/14/2012 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#25]
The day I turn 50 I'm getting the vaccine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You can get it more than once.

My only case was last spring, it was VERY mild. I was able to ignore the itching for the most part, no pain. Took the anti-viral and that was that.

I had a very mild case about 18 mos. ago. When I was in the office of my current GP, he was recommending I get a flu shot and pnumonia vac. I asked about a shingles vac and he said, since I've had it I won't get it again.

There seems to be a difference of opinion on this thread, leaving me a little confused.

Link Posted: 10/14/2012 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#27]
would getting the chickenpox vaccine help against getting shingles later?
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Pretty easy to tell the difference. Shingle hurts like fucking hell and even a breeze can bring you to your knees.

Pain is what will tell you it's shingles. Shingles also follows nerve paths. Dead give away.

Link Posted: 10/14/2012 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

he said, since I've had it I won't get it again.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top