Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2012 1:56:11 PM EDT
Fox News is reporting that Colt and Remington are threatening to move their manufacturing to western states if NY and Connecticut move forward with plans to require micro-stamping of firing pins.

Is it me... or does this make it extremely enticing for criminals to steal casings or someones commercial pre-packaged ammo?

Link to full article: Fox News
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Utterly useless legislation.  Criminals are criminals because they don't follow the law.  I bet a huge statistical majority of guns used by them are illegally acquired guns (A.K.A. stolen).  That's not going to help much, what it is going to do though is open up lawsuits by people that fell victim to these criminals against the legit gun owners who had their weapons stolen.  The lawyers will state if they didn't buy a gun, or had it stored properly it wouldn't have ever been stolen.  Crazier lawsuits have been filed and won.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
More CT madness, a serious attempt to out California California.

I can't even own a Colt by name here. Used to be the machining/ metal cutting capitol of the North east, now its a giant govt run slum. MOssberg, Marlin, Winchester, Ruger....gone or near gone. Me, ....near gone.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I made a new firing pin for an older shotgun recently. I  used a piece of 1/4" rod, shaped it with a set of files whith it clamped in a vise. Test fired it, took it out and heat treated it. put it back together.  
so , my answer is . go ahead, microstamp your heart out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
All you gotta do it have at the micro stamp with a file and the number would come right off. Also I'm not certain micro stamping could even be possible.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All you gotta do it have at the micro stamp with a file and the number would come right off.

Then you really could get in trouble for "filing down the firing pin".  
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fox News is reporting that Colt and Remington are threatening to move their manufacturing to western states if NY and Connecticut move forward with plans to require micro-stamping of firing pins.

Is it me... or does this make it extremely enticing for criminals to steal casings or someones commercial pre-packaged ammo?

Link to full article: Fox News

I hope they jump ship from NY.
Investigation would backed up by traditional means of IDing a firearm and boolits/& casing..
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
From Aug 28, no way in hell it was posted 87 times already.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I weep for a country that could produce people of such limited mental capacity as to consider something so asinine.

To elect such people, is criminal.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can't even own a Colt by name here. Used to be the machining/ metal cutting capitol of the North east, now its a giant govt run slum. MOssberg, Marlin, Winchester, Ruger....gone or near gone. Me, ....near gone.

What does the redded part mean.

( I know redded isn't a word. I'm being cleaver.)
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Ahh, to be the criminal mastermind who could foil your brilliant plan with... a nail file.  :/

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#11]
What type of nail was it that closely resembled an AR firing pin, i forget?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They probably specifically ban Colt AR-15 models by name. IIRC CA does the same.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]
more like make a microstamp that says "PLEASE GET ME OUT OF THIS COMMUNIST FUCKHOLE, THANKS, LOVE COLT"
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
All you gotta do it have at the micro stamp with a file and the number would come right off.

Wait a minute, now I am confused. I thought if you filed down the firing pin it made the gun a machine gun.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think a 16d double head could probably be fashioned into a AR firing pin.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#18]
What would this solve? Pros police their own brass and gangbangers shoot stolen guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concrete nail.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Chuck up the firing pin in your cordless drill,  spin it at high speed, and touch the tip with a piece of very fine sandpaper for a few seconds and the stamping is gone.

Microstamping is not intended to make crimes easier to solve.  It is merely another way the antis are trying to implement gun control.  Don't think it's anything else.

What did that fat fuck Howard Metzenbaum say once...."I don't care about crime, I just want to get the guns."

Yeah, that was it.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I weep for a country that could produce people of such limited mental capacity as to consider something so asinine.
To elect such people, is criminal.

Well said, Sir!

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Colt AR-15 and Sporter are banned by name, a Colt with any other name is good to go.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Chuck up the firing pin in your cordless drill,  spin it at high speed, and touch the tip with a piece of very fine sandpaper for a few seconds and the stamping is gone.

Microstamping is not intended to make crimes easier to solve.  It is merely another way the antis are trying to implement gun control.  Don't think it's anything else.

What did that fat fuck Howard Metzenbaum say once...."I don't care about crime, I just want to get the guns."

Yeah, that was it.

CJ

Great in theory, Felony in practice.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder how that super fine print would hold up to thousands of rounds of hard primers?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Firing pins wear, they also get dirty.

They are also interchangable.

They can also be tampered with - and even if it is a felony to tamper with them, it's not going to stop someone who intends to use it to commit a more serious crime anyway.

Why do these politicians not see how utterly useless some of their brain-farts are.

They do. They just want to ban guns and incrementalism works.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that was it.

CJ

So, you're contemplating murder or armed robbery?  Those are serious felonies.  But you're gonna balk at sandpapering a firing pin?  Left wing logic at it's best.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that was it.
CJ

So, you're contemplating murder or armed robbery?  Those are serious felonies.  But you're gonna balk at sandpapering a firing pin?  Left wing logic at it's best.

Tell me that you honestly think that you wont get charged if caught?  Odds are small, yes, but..

hell.. file off the serial number of a gun and see how that goes..
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that was it.

CJ

Tell me that you honestly think that you wont get charged if caught?  Odds are small, yes, but..  

It would probably go just fine, actually.    When's the last time you heard of someone getting busted solely for mutilating serial numbers?

Firing pin would even be less enforceable.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that was it.

CJ

It would probably go just fine, actually.    When's the last time you heard of someone getting busted solely for mutilating serial numbers?

Guess im just paranoid as hell.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concrete nail.

If you were to try to buy one, they would be called "duplex" nails.
They are used to nail together concrete forms. The second head allows them to be pulled apart easily.

Anyone with any mechanical ability can create a firing pin from any rod of metal. Most all you need is a drill and a file.. maybe some sandpaper.
If you are really cool, and own a lathe, you could go into the bootleg firing pin business.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Micro stamping is a shame. Makes them feel good.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds to me like micro-stamping is just a way to have to add more laws so firearms can now be "inspected" at will to see if they are compliant.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Come to Wisconsin!
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Kimber (located in Yonkers NY) also said they'd leave NYS if micro stamping passed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Awesome, our Enlightened Dear Leaders have finally come up with a way to stop gun violence that could never be defeated with common tools at all, ever!

Wait, what? Oh shit! BAN SANDPAPER, FOR THE CHILDREN!!!1!11!!!!!111!!1!!!111!!1!1!!1one!!111!!!11!!!oneone1!!1111!!!1!!!1111!!!1!!1!!11!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I should register firingpinexchange.com
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#41]
If it's illegal to polish a firing pin,  it's news to me.  It's just part of a good, complete job of fine tuning the entire action.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#42]
This isn't anything new. Just more Fox news bullshit.

Gun Owners Victorious in New York

Posted on June 27, 2012

Last week, the New York Legislature wrapped up its 2012 regular legislative session with the microstamping mandate being blocked for the fifth consecutive year.  Despite a last minute attempt by anti-gunners to push Assembly Bill 1157B through the Assembly by an 85 to 60 vote on June 19, the Senate rightfully refused to move this ill-conceived gun control scheme.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Didn't the the Internet forum CalGuns.Org refresh the patent on the technology so that other companies could not use it?

Not exactly. They paid a maintenance fee so one of the microstamping patents wouldn't expire. Some Cali microstamping law has a provision so it would only go into effect if the technology was available to manufacturers free of all patent encumbrances. So even though the inventor could say he wasn't going to sue anyone for infringement, just the fact that calguns renewed his right to sue was enough to trigger that part of the law.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#44]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'll make it full auto!
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Brass Catcher?

How about a Revolver?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that was it.

CJ

If I had a microstamped firing pin, I'd remove it, put it in a vise and bend it until it breaks.  Then I'd install a new unmarked pin.  And if any pointy headed officials wanted to know why, I'd say, "the firing pin broke and I had to replace it"
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's probably just you.

After all, have you ever heard of an ill-conceived, completely useless gun law being passed?

Yeh, I didn't think so!
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Another layer of bullshit for gun companies like the fired cases , We could have a swap meet and mix up firing pins on like guns
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Awesome, our Enlightened Dear Leaders have finally come up with a way to stop gun violence that could never be defeated with common tools at all, ever!

https://www.macbuildingproducts.com/images/sandpaper.gif

Wait, what? Oh shit! BAN SANDPAPER, FOR THE CHILDREN!!!1!11!!!!!111!!1!!!111!!1!1!!1one!!111!!!11!!!oneone1!!1111!!!1!!!1111!!!1!!1!!11!!!!!!!!!!

Note...Dear Leader is DEAD. We now have Brilliant Leader

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top