Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Not impressed

Stole it from the Natzis

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Was it going to be nuclear powered?  I don't see how else hold enough fuel to get to 100k feet let alone mach 4, and with a saucer shape to boot.  Probably just another pie in the sky idea,  during that era we had all kinds of crazy but awesome ideas.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Just imagine the neat stuff we'll find out about in 50 years that is out there right now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#5]
whatttttttt?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe we can get red jacket to build one.  Neva Ben dun befo
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#7]
That shape makes no sense from an aerodynamic standpoint.
There's good reason that it never went beyond someone doodling stuff in a notebook, although I have no idea why they even payed someone to do that.

Nick
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Maybe we can get red jacket to build one.  Neva Ben dun befo

They will put their top expert on it.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Google Conviar's Pyewacket missile

http://www.rimworld.com/dsp/pyewacket.html

It was a disc shaped missile capable of Mach6+ intended to be fired in any direction to protect B70s from SAMs.

All known photos
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#10]
The Canadians were working on saucers as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_VZ-9_Avrocar

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Early in the space program, disk shaped orbiters were studied.  Reentry would be done with the flat bottom, flight in the air would be done as with the flying saucer airplanes the US tested earlier.  See Vought Flying Flapjack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_XF5U

The problem was that the disk shape does not hold people very well.  It is lacking in usable volume.  The solution was to extend the top surface upward, but keep it tapered in enough to not overheat during reentry.  

The result was the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo capsules.  They are a disk shape on the bottom with a cone shape on the top.  

Gemini and Apollo capsules had the center of gravity offset from the center a bit, this gave them some lift, can't remember if the lift was toward or away from the offset.  This lift vector gave these capsules some steering capacity.  The capsule was rotated so that the lift vector pointed in the desired direction.  Usually this was downrange, by doing this the reentry was spread out over a slightly greater time, which lowered the reentry G forces.

Planned future man carrying orbiter capsules use this modified flying saucer plan form.  They will be similar to enlarged Apollo capsules.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#12]

LOL, look at the tank guns.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

LOL, look at the tank guns.

Gotta have a gun.  There's only so much you can do with the anal probe.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Technically the Canucks were working on this one too, since Avro was the contractor, the Avrocar was the proof of concept.

I'm not sure why they are "surprising" images though, we have know about the existence of the Project 1794 and the cancelled supersonic VTOL flying saucer fighter for a while.

Some of those images, specifically this one

have been seen before.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Good pics.  Interesting design.

When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time flying control line planes.  My typical engine was a Cox .049.  One day I decided to build a saucer shaped "plane" out of a bunch of balsa spares I had laying around.  Diameter was about 12-14".  I added a fin and fixed rudder with about 10degs of right rudder.  Can't recall if I had a full span elevator...but whatever I chose, it worked very well.  No landing gear so I had to have an assistant to launch.

The vehicle was overpowered and very fast.  No fuselage reduced drag.  The little pancake could reverse direction in just about it's own length.  It was very touch to control inputs.  I'm not an aero E. but that was a killer design and it worked very well.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm still waiting on my moller skycar to be delivered.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Jeez, when will all that ancient fan-driven Avro crap be forgotten?

Those stupid saucers were just hyped up hovercraft with enough power to get a few feet off the ground instead of just skimming the ground.

The Greys don't use fucking fans.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm still waiting on my moller skycar to be delivered.

This.  I've been waiting since the 80's.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top