Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2012 8:13:02 AM EDT

I have always purchased from car lots that issue temp plates but this is a private sale. I plan on buying it tonight and was curious how I get it home with no plates?  Scheduling is tight right now and tonight is the only time I will be able to do this.

So is it legal to drive it home in Ohio with no plates on it?  I know if you put plates from a different vehicle on it you could get in big trouble. Its a 40 mile trip. Its nothing expensive just an old truck for $1000.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Temp tags, from the BMV. They close around 5:00pm in most places. Get a move on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]

4503.12 Transfer of ownership and registration.

(A) Upon the transfer of ownership of a motor vehicle, the registration of the motor vehicle expires, and the original owner immediately shall remove the license plates from the motor vehicle, except that:

(4) If the original owner of a motor vehicle that has been transferred makes application for the registration of another motor vehicle at any time during the remainder of the registration period for which the transferred motor vehicle was registered, the owner may file an application for transfer of the registration and, where applicable, the license plates. The transfer of the registration and, where applicable, the license plates from the motor vehicle for which they originally were issued to a succeeding motor vehicle purchased by the same person in whose name the original registration and license plates were issued shall be done within a period not to exceed thirty days. During that thirty-day period, the license plates from the motor vehicle for which they originally were issued may be displayed on the succeeding motor vehicle, and the succeeding motor vehicle may be operated on the public roads and highways in this state.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don’t or can’t get temp tags, you could put another vehicle's plates on it and have someone follow close behind you to prevent a cop from getting in behind you.  It’s probably frowned upon and illegal so I am not advocating you break the law just giving you an option that I’ve known people to do.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen cardboard tags that say "tag applied for". Don't know if they got caught and ticketed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I just drive without plates. The plate belongs to the owners in AZ so I take it off and give it to them. Drive home. Figure a cop would understand.

But then I'm in fucking Arizona.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Temp tags, from the BMV. They close around 5:00pm in most places. Get a move on.

You can get temp plates for a car you dont own yet?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I drove home with no plate, but I had a copy of the bill of sale with me.  Figured I'd show that to a cop if he pulled me over.  Didn't get pulled over, so it didn't come up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#8]
idk how much it costs in Ohio, but  a 3 day temp tag u print off the internet (atleast through AZ DMV) costs $3.  $3 would be worth the headache of getting stopped
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I would just drive home with no tags. I can't imagine many cops are going to ticket you for it. Just show them the bill of sale that says you bought it that day. Someone would have to be a real douchebag not to let it slide in your case.

Make sure you have insurance though, because they probably won't be lenient on that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're going to have to bring him into the BMV anyway, for the title transfer. Well, you don't have to bring him in, but you need to get the transfer notarized (might as well do it at the Title Bureau). While you're there, you can get your tags.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]
You can't legally drive it on the road without proper plates. If you will be transferring plates from a vehicle currently registered to you, you have 30 days to register the plates to the new car.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
idk how much it costs in Ohio, but  a 3 day temp tag u print off the internet (atleast through AZ DMV) costs $3.  $3 would be worth the headache of getting stopped

VA has basically the same thing, but I think it's $5.  I've done it a few times with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Here in MI, you can drive straight home on the title with no plate after purchase.

I know that doesn't help you, but I thought I throw that in there.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Maybe my search-fu was weak today but I could not find anything like that on the clusterfuck Ohio has for a bmv website.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, that *is* one of the many uses for a 'tow-truck'.

You could always find somebody with a trailer, but they don't tend to be as accommodating as the guy you hire to do the job.

My answer may seem glib, but it's actually a lot cheaper than the ticket/court costs and 'you don't have insurance on a wrecked vehicle with no plates' probs.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're going to have to bring him into the BMV anyway, for the title transfer. Well, you don't have to bring him in, but you need to get the transfer notarized (might as well do it at the Title Bureau). While you're there, you can get your tags.  

Car sale will be at 8 pm. They will be closed.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You can't legally drive it on the road without proper plates. If you will be transferring plates from a vehicle currently registered to you, you have 30 days to register the plates to the new car.  
If the OP doesn't have plates, I going to assume he doesn't have insurance, either. Driving an unregistered, uninsured, uninspected vehicle? That's a fist full of summonses and a towed car in these parts... if the cop wants to be a dick.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
If the OP doesn't have plates, I going to assume he doesn't have insurance, either. Driving an unregistered, uninsured, uninspected vehicle? That's a fist full of summonses and a towed car in these parts... if the cop wants to be a dick.

I am pretty sure I can get temp insurance by calling my insurance agent with a VIN# and we do not require inspections in this semi-free state/county.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't understand what it's trying to say here, but maybe this will help?
http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registration.stm
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#20]
There are a lot of cars driving around Baltimore with "Tag stolen" written on a piece of cardboard.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here. He's risking a lot of money if he drives dirty. Driving without insurance is an automatic suspension. Reinstatement fees are ridiculous. Then he has to have an insurance bond before he can be reinstated. Not to mention the fines and court costs for the pinches, impound/storage fees. It isn't worth it.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly, I'd just call the License Bureau, tell them your situation, and ask them what the procedure is.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here. He's risking a lot of money if he drives dirty. Driving without insurance is an automatic suspension. Reinstatement fees are ridiculous. Then he has to have an insurance bond before he can be reinstated. Not to mention the fines and court costs for the pinches, impound/storage fees. It isn't worth it.

Yes I have insurance and two other cars with plates.  I thought it was illegal to use plates from the wrong car.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I have insurance and two other cars with plates.  I thought it was illegal to use plates from the wrong car.

If you are trading in/selling one vehicle and buying another, as long as the registration is still current on your old car, you can put the plates on your new car, and have 30 days to change the registration. Just make sure you have the title transferred right away. I'll say that driving a car without plates will attract much more attention than driving a car with plates registered to another vehicle.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF is wrong with Ohio?  In Indiana you're fine to drive if you have the bill of sale with you.  There is no reason to illegally put a plate from a different car on it.   Also, your insurance company most likely has coverage for purchased automobile transport.  I know mine does, they just said I have to let them know within 7 days of purchase.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Around these parts driving w/ no plates is a sure invitation to get you busted by the KSP. I would trailer it just to be on the safe side....
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A signed, notorized title can get you temp tags. Lots of places have the title office and liscense bureau adjacent. Iirc, title office has temp tags, but I could be misremembering, that one.

Some folks will let you drive home on their tags and just return them. Kind of risky on their part, though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are trading in/selling one vehicle and buying another, as long as the registration is still current on your old car, you can put the plates on your new car, and have 30 days to change the registration. Just make sure you have the title transferred right away. I'll say that driving a car without plates will attract much more attention than driving a car with plates registered to another vehicle.

I am not trading in anything.  Im just gonna go haggle with a guy tonight and buy an old used truck the cheapest I can get it.  Tonight is the only time I can get the person driving me to get it and the seller and me on the same schedule to do this. If I wait any longer somebody else will snatch up the deal.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Years ago, I took my car off the road for awhile. Had to shuttle it from Queens all the way out to Suffolk County where I was going to store it.

Took the front plate off my friend's car and threw it on the back of mine. Figured, C'mon, what are the chances? It's not exactly the crime of the century.

Don't you know... pass a trooper on the side of the parkway (in a spot where there's NEVER a trooper), and damn if he doesn't immediately swing out after I pass.

Luckily, there was an exit right there, so, as casually as I could, I jumped off the parkway, did a few quick lefts and rights... and ended up sitting in front of someone's house for 20 minutes, waiting for the heat to die down.

Finished the trip on surface streets... feeling like Cody Jarrett the whole way. NEVER again. So not worth it.

Now, if the OP has any friends that are cops, he should just ask them to drive the car home for him.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Guys, mcnizzle had the answer in the second reply.

This, of course, is Ohio-specific.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I'd just call the License Bureau, tell them your situation, and ask them what the procedure is.  

No way!  He's totally better off asking Arf.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you can't get a 30-day temp tag, put your old plates on the new car.  Have your sale paperwork and documents in the car.
You have 30 days to transfer your plate to your new car (which you do at the BMV).
If, in the meantime, you get stopped, as long as your sale paperwork is less than 30 days old, you're good to go.

Of course, the OP could always change his mind about officially transferring those tags to the new car after he gets it home and just go in for new ones next week, right?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't get a 30-day temp tag, put your old plates on the new car.  Have your sale paperwork and documents in the car.
You have 30 days to transfer your plate to your new car (which you do at the BMV).
If, in the meantime, you get stopped, as long as your sale paperwork is less than 30 days old, you're good to go.

Of course, the OP could always change his mind about officially transferring those tags to the new car after he gets it home and just go in for new ones next week, right?

Sure.  Who would know?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Ok so this makes my head hurt trying to understand it. It seems this is talking about the "seller" transferring his old plates to a different car.  Not a buyer transferring plates from a car that has not been sold. Or is it the same difference?

(4) If the original owner of a motor vehicle that has been transferred makes application for the registration of another motor vehicle at any time during the remainder of the registration period for which the transferred motor vehicle was registered, the owner may file an application for transfer of the registration and, where applicable, the license plates. The transfer of the registration and, where applicable, the license plates from the motor vehicle for which they originally were issued to a succeeding motor vehicle purchased by the same person in whose name the original registration and license plates were issued shall be done within a period not to exceed thirty days. During that thirty-day period, the license plates from the motor vehicle for which they originally were issued may be displayed on the succeeding motor vehicle, and the succeeding motor vehicle may be operated on the public roads and highways in this state.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Years back i bought a car off ebay in central Ohio and drove it back to Michigan with no plates on it.  I had a bill of sale and insurance.  I can't recall who i asked nut i know thats what i was told to do by authorities in the two states, I remember them saying don't put on a plate off another vehicle.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Ok so this makes my head hurt trying to understand it. It seems this is talking about the "seller" transferring his old plates to a different car.  Not a buyer transferring plates from a car that has not been sold. Or is it the same difference?

Dude, just call the BMV. They'll straighten all of this out for you.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I bought a deuce and a half in Kentucky, and drove it home 750 miles with no tags.  Cops just waved.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not trading in anything.  Im just gonna go haggle with a guy tonight and buy an old used truck the cheapest I can get it.  Tonight is the only time I can get the person driving me to get it and the seller and me on the same schedule to do this. If I wait any longer somebody else will snatch up the deal.

Man, I'm meeting a guy at Menards to buy an old car tonight.  I plan on driving it home with no tags.  If I get stopped I'll have a notarized title and my insurance covers me on vehicle purchases/transport like the others have mentioned.  I think this is no big deal.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#39]
How do you plan on getting the title notarized?  Unless you or the seller are bringing a notary along you are going to have to meet up with the seller again anyway.  Much less head aches to do this stuff during buisness hours at the BMV.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How do you plan on getting the title notarized?  Unless you or the seller are bringing a notary along you are going to have to meet up with the seller again anyway.  Much less head aches to do this stuff during buisness hours at the BMV.

Not to hijack the OPs thread but I'm fairly new to Ohio and have the same situation later this evening.

If the seller has his signature notarized on the title before they meet it should be as simple as handing over the keys and the document.  Then the buyer can have his signature on the title notarized at a later time right?  I hope this is the case as I plan on doing this later today.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to hijack the OPs thread but I'm fairly new to Ohio and have the same situation later this evening.

If the seller has his signature notarized on the title before they meet it should be as simple as handing over the keys and the document.  Then the buyer can have his signature on the title notarized at a later time right?  I hope this is the case as I plan on doing this later today.

The easiest way to do it, is to just have buyer and seller meet at the Title Bureau. Kills two birds with one stone.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You MIGHT be able to get away with that but that is not how it is supposed to work and a notary should not sign off unless everything is complete on the title and that includes both parties of the sale and the final sale price.  Personally I would not chance it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#43]
How retarded, in MN plates go with the car...
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#44]
I called my insurance company and added my new vehicle over the phone while sitting in the seller's driveway.  I'm paranoid, though.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You MIGHT be able to get away with that but that is not how it is supposed to work and a notary should not sign off unless everything is complete on the title and that includes both parties of the sale and the final sale price.  Personally I would not chance it.

You have to get a title notarized before the seller can turn it over to the buyer?  That's absurd.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#46]
In AZ you can go to the MVD online and print out a three day temporary plate.  Just tape it up where the plate goes.  Costs a couple dollars.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just called the BMV in butler co. and confirmed that the guy can have the title notarized before hand and give to me.  Its good to go. The lady said temp tags are $18.50

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Do you have AAA?  Have them tow it to your house.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to get a title notarized before the seller can turn it over to the buyer?  That's absurd.

No, the seller can turn the car over to the buyer when every he/she wants.  What would be absurd is giving your money or vehicle to a stranger with out all the paperwork in order to transfer the vehicle.  I wouldn't do it, would you?

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe my search-fu was weak today but I could not find anything like that on the clusterfuck Ohio has for a bmv website.

They'll hassle you savagely on the temp. tag too.  My BMV gave me all kinds of hell over getting the temp.  They wanted paperwork from the bank.  That's all well and good but what if there is no loan?  Ohio's BMV is like something out of a Kafka novel.  

When I bought the "new" Jeep I drove on fictitious tags halfway across the state.  Seeing as how half the population of the state is running on expired, stolen, fictitious, or homemade tags anyway I fit right in.   If you drive home naked, as in not tags, you'll probably go unnoticed unless you drive like a total moron.  And even then you'll just blend in with the crowd.  Just be sure to park the vehicle squarely on private property, preferably behind a fence, or some eager beaver from the local PD may try to zap you for having no tags.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top