Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you plan on getting the title notarized?  Unless you or the seller are bringing a notary along you are going to have to meet up with the seller again anyway.  Much less head aches to do this stuff during buisness hours at the BMV.

Not to hijack the OPs thread but I'm fairly new to Ohio and have the same situation later this evening.

If the seller has his signature notarized on the title before they meet it should be as simple as handing over the keys and the document.  Then the buyer can have his signature on the title notarized at a later time right?  I hope this is the case as I plan on doing this later today.

You MIGHT be able to get away with that but that is not how it is supposed to work and a notary should not sign off unless everything is complete on the title and that includes both parties of the sale and the final sale price.  Personally I would not chance it.

You have to get a title notarized before the seller can turn it over to the buyer?  That's absurd.

No, the seller can turn the car over to the buyer when every he/she wants.  What would be absurd is giving your money or vehicle to a stranger with out all the paperwork in order to transfer the vehicle.  I wouldn't do it, would you?

Not sure I follow.  If I'm selling they give me a wad of cash, I give them signed title, a BOS, and a set of keys.  I never hear from or think about them again.  If I'm buying, I give them a wad of cash, they give me a signed title, a BOS, and the keys.  They never hear from me again.  I/they couldn't give a shit less how the vehicle gets from point A to point B after that, as it's no longer my/their car.  No notary need be bothered until the title is taken in for registration by the new owner (I assume it's notarized at that point, I've never paid attention, and certainly never had to do anything special beyond giving the paperwork to the DMV drone).
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I bought a deuce and a half in Kentucky, and drove it home 750 miles with no tags.  Cops just waved.
If you had spray painted "Not A Military Vehicle" on the sides - I'll bet they wouldn't have stopped at waving.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
From the Buyer's point of view why its a bad idea.
    You give your wad of cash and take home the car with an un-noterized title.  Seller calls the car in stollen as soon as you leave.  You go to register the car and are arrested for theft.  Seller claims he kept the title in the glove box and you must have forged everything.  Car goes back to seller and at worst you are out your wad of cash.

From the Sellers point of view why its a bad idea.
     You get a wad of cash and hand over your car but never get a copy of a notorized title and you don't go down to the BMV to make sure everything gets transfered.  A week later the car is found abandoned with a dead hooker in the trunk.  The buyer never actually transfered the title into his name so you are still the legal owner of the car.  You get to keep the wad of cash but now have to explain how a dead hooker ended up in YOUR car.

There are ways to save time, but going to the BMV with both parties is the best way to protect yourself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
    You give your wad of cash and take home the car with an un-noterized title.  Seller calls the car in stollen as soon as you leave.  You go to register the car and are arrested for theft.  Seller claims he kept the title in the glove box and you must have forged everything.  Car goes back to seller and at worst you are out your wad of cash.

You get a wad of cash and hand over your car but never get a copy of a notorized title and you don't go down to the BMV to make sure everything gets transfered.  A week later the car is found abandoned with a dead hooker in the trunk.  The buyer never actually transfered the title into his name so you are still the legal owner of the car.  You get to keep the wad of cash but now have to explain how a dead hooker ended up in YOUR car.

There are ways to save time, but going to the BMV with both parties is the best way to protect yourself.

What if you have the seller get his signature notarized ahead of time.  Then yours gets notarized when you go to the BMV to register. Would this work and be legal and safe for both?

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's why everybody gets a copy of the BOS signed by both parties.  Nary a problem with this method.

ETA:  Or have the seller get it notarized beforehand.  That's a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if you have the seller get his signature notarized ahead of time.  Then yours gets notarized when you go to the BMV to register. Would this work and be legal and safe for both?

I just called the BMV in butler co. and confirmed that the guy can have the title notarized before hand and give to me. Its good to go. The lady said temp tags are $18.50
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top