Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Just wait until you goof up and weld a car part to your table.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds like something I would do...

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a small update tonight.

The rewire for the MS is complete and it came out awesome!

I ditched the kind of shitty MS relay board that I burned the trace on as I was quite unhappy with it.

I built my own little relay board and it holds relays for the MS and the fuel pump, a fuse block, a ground block, and the transmission controller all in a fairly compact package.

Then I wired everything together.  Pictured here are the weather pack connectors that snap into my rewired harness, as well as 4 gauge cables that will go directly to the battery and directly to the engine block.  I will have no worries about adequate power!

So now all I have to do is drop this stuff back in the car and hopefully my ignition signal conditioner will work out alright and the Monte will wake from her long slumber!

A dyno run isn't far off at all now I hope!  
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks really good!  I hope she sings to you this year!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
how is the build going? this one thread always is very cool to me

I wish I had my own garage to build a car
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you managed to let any of the smoke out of those drag radials yet?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
A friend of mine gave his nephew a Monte Carlo SS a few years ago. He had 5 or 6 vehicles and the Monte was just taking up space after the engine had been overheated years ago.
The nephew replaced it with a 305 crate motor...
The car has less than 80k on the odometer and only a few thousand of that is on the fresh engine.
He asked me if I was interested in buying it last week. I'm sure considering it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A friend of mine gave his nephew a Monte Carlo SS a few years ago. He had 5 or 6 vehicles and the Monte was just taking up space after the engine had been overheated years ago.
The car has less than 80k on the odometer and only a few thousand of that is on the fresh engine.
He asked me if I was interested in buying it last week. I'm sure considering it.
View Quote

i would jump on that if I had a way to get it...
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry gang!

I haven't forgotten all the folks that are following this craziness.

So my rewire worked out great, but I managed to misread my very own wiring schematic and got 3 out of the 4 spark outputs wrong!  I spent almost a full week screwing with the car trying to get it to start. It would pop out the intake, bang out the exhuast, and occasionally fart and burp for 10 or 15 seconds.  After much head scratching, swearing,and troubleshooting I finally figured it out and she roared to life again.  I felt pretty stupid haha!

Today was our first truly nice Spring day here in Maine and so I backed the car out of the garage under its own power for the first time in ages.

Then I snapped a couple of pics to show how the car looks with its new wheels.  I know some of you don't like them but I think they are a great choice for this car!   The drag radials really look killer too in my opnion.

Full on profile shot.    Lots of flaws in this shot that show how rough the car is.  That makes me like it that much more.  Who would expect this car to pack so much under the hood? Man it is fast!

And a short video update.  More coming soon.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

FO!
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Just watched the video again and I casually mention I have been working on this thing for 2 1/2 years.

How is that even possible?  I think time goes faster every year as we get older!

This thing is going to rock this year.  Lots of smoke, noise, and broken parts coming soon.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#17]
The car is back out and kicking butt.  With all of my new found traction I am routinely seeing 9-10 lbs of boost at the same boost controller setting that were getting me 6-7 lbs of boost last year.  Apparently these drag radials are loading the motor a lot harder!

I took this picture yesterday after flogging the crap out of the old girl.  It is much less out of control feeling on drag radials than it was on crappy street tires, no more long rolling burnouts, just traction when I stomp down on it.  It is fast as shit, and makes you feel like a bullet fired from a gun.  It needs much better brakes!

I think this picture is badass.

I completed the wire tuck under the hood. Notice the lack of almost any visible wiring in this pic.  The in person view is a lot more impressive.  But I ditched a good five pounds of factory wiring, most of it was still energized as well, so another fire hazard cured.  Kind of dirty but looking okay I think.

I bought a new transmission crossmember.  It should be here tomorrow.  The one I built has twisted out of shape, apparently my junkyard 5.3 was more than my garage fabbed crossmember could put up with!  

And the biggest news I saved for last.  A new dyno day has been scheduled, Friday May 8.  We will all finally see what this shitbox is packing.  

I honestly don't know what to expect as far as what she will put down.  I think it will be quite a bit, but I am not sure just how much.  

More to come as usual.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:33:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The car is back out and kicking butt.  With all of my new found traction I am routinely seeing 9-10 lbs of boost at the same boost controller setting that were getting me 6-7 lbs of boost last year.  Apparently these drag radials are loading the motor a lot harder!

I took this picture yesterday after flogging the crap out of the old girl.  It is much less out of control feeling on drag radials than it was on crappy street tires, no more long rolling burnouts, just traction when I stomp down on it.  It is fast as shit, and makes you feel like a bullet fired from a gun.  It needs much better brakes!

I think this picture is badass.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/Drag%20radials%20passenger%20side_zpsoj7r96e8.jpg

I completed the wire tuck under the hood. Notice the lack of almost any visible wiring in this pic.  The in person view is a lot more impressive.  But I ditched a good five pounds of factory wiring, most of it was still energized as well, so another fire hazard cured.  Kind of dirty but looking okay I think.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/cleaned%20engine%20bay_zpsjtjalyn4.jpg

I bought a new transmission crossmember.  It should be here tomorrow.  The one I built has twisted out of shape, apparently my junkyard 5.3 was more than my garage fabbed crossmember could put up with!  

And the biggest news I saved for last.  A new dyno day has been scheduled, Friday May 8.  We will all finally see what this shitbox is packing.  

I honestly don't know what to expect as far as what she will put down.  I think it will be quite a bit, but I am not sure just how much.  

More to come as usual.  

View Quote

Looks awesome man, so glad you're having fun with it!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Cold air intake?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#21]
New crossmember showed up today.  To say it is substantial is an understatement!  The large "U" channel on the right will also easily allow me to run twin 2.5" pipes through it and finally get the exhaust dumping out under the rear bumper with those signature Monte SS tailpipes that I bought last year.

You can see the twist in the crossmember I fabricated.  I actually didn't know there was anything wrong with it until the exhaust started rattling on it all the time!  It was still working fine, just a bit twisted up.  

One week from today is dyno time.  I am really excited!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

So is most of GD. Thanks for the constant updates to this thread. I know I could never rebuild something like you did, but it's a great learning experience watching you go through your paces.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So is most of GD. Thanks for the constant updates to this thread. I know I could never rebuild something like you did, but it's a great learning experience watching you go through your paces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang, that is a really nice thing to say.  I'm not overly sentimental but thanks man!

And I guarantee you COULD do a project like this.  I don't have any special skills or anything, I just like tinkering with this stuff.  If you can put together kids toys on Christmas Eve, assemble a piece of IKEA furniture, or rig up a fence to keep your dogs penned in the back yard, you can do a project like this.

This is a drill weekend for me so there won't be a whole lot of updates I am sorry to say.  But hopefully some cool dyno vids will be up here next week.

Stay tuned........................
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dang, that is a really nice thing to say.  I'm not overly sentimental but thanks man!

And I guarantee you COULD do a project like this.  I don't have any special skills or anything, I just like tinkering with this stuff.  If you can put together kids toys on Christmas Eve, assemble a piece of IKEA furniture, or rig up a fence to keep your dogs penned in the back yard, you can do a project like this.

This is a drill weekend for me so there won't be a whole lot of updates I am sorry to say.  But hopefully some cool dyno vids will be up here next week.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been following this thread for over a year. It's also the thread I hope to see at the top of my subscriptions page when I log in every day. As for doing something like that. I have 0 work space. Maybe when I move to Florida I'll make sure to have an over sized garage on the house.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Look what we have here.

Today was the day!!  I was on the dyno at 9:30 this morning.

Since I share my failures and my successes with you guys this one is borderline failure.  

I thought I had the transmission properly configured to lock the converter and keep it locked when I manually shifted but sadly I didn't.  So every time I would start a dyno pull the converter would unlock and slip.  So my output was painfully low and the dyno sheet is all kinds of crazy!  But I have video and it is pretty cool.  Turn your speakers up, really great turbo noise and V8 noise.  No spoilers on the number, you gotta watch the vid to find out.  I'm running the loud pedal in the video even though you can't see me.

More to come as always.  The car is a beast despite what the dyno had to say!

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Any dyno run that didn't end up with parts and oil flying everywhere was a good dyno run.    Sounds like you now what needs to be tuned for next time.  

I really like that car man...it's got soul...
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#27]
You can see the chassis load up, then settle back down during the pull.  Is that from the transmission slipping?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Was the dyno being stingy?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Was the dyno being stingy?
View Quote

All dynos are stingy, many people's hopes and dreams have been dashed by those evil rollers...
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#30]
That was one of the slowest, longest dyno pulls that I have watched.    The numbers are actually surprising though as I thought it would be lower while watching the video.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#31]
This style of dyno is known for being very stingy, but that isn't the case here!  Since the torque converter wouldn't stay locked I wasn't getting a true 1:1 connection between the engine and the rear end.  When that happens it seriously throws the readings off on the dyno, hence my low number.  But in all honesty a dyno is only a tuning tool, the number it spits out at the end of the day doesn't mean much except for bragging rights, but damn I wanted to brag!  The big takeaway was that I got to do some tuning in the upper end of the spectrum that I just can't do safely out on the highway.  And more importantly I had a blast.  As did the guys running the shop.  They tune mostly diesel trucks so this was a nice change of pace for them.

Quoted:
That was one of the slowest, longest dyno pulls that I have watched.    The numbers are actually surprising though as I thought it would be lower while watching the video.
View Quote

YOU think it was long.  Imagine sitting in the car with your foot to the floor for 20 seconds or so with everything shaking and rattling and mind numbingly loud haha.  It was awesome and pretty damn scary to boot.  I kept expecting something to explode at any second, but it took it like a champ.  And afterwards I brought my wife lunch and then went grocery shopping, this thing kicks ass!

Here is the dyno sheet.  The red trace is the HP.  You can clearly see the converter unlock at about 85 MPH and the associated sharp drop in HP.  TQ and HP crossed each other at about 4300 RPM which is a great indicator that something is way out of whack.  I'll get the converter lock up figured out then go back and get a better number I hope!

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you for this thread.  I had an 86 Monte Carlo SS in high school.  Bought it from the bank with a blown engine for $300.  Built a 355 and had lots of fun in that car.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a 1986 Olds 442 which was the same basic car as the SS
Had a blast with it
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Will you be calling Gearstar for a stout tranny?

I don't recommend going to Google for that.  
http://gearstar.net/transmissions/gm/
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I think its fair to say that this is making over 311 whp.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No need for a new transmission.  This one is fine, I just had the controller set up wrong for a dyno run.

Quoted:

I went over the datalogs and by watching the injector duty cycle the math says the car was making about 490-500 horsepower at the crank.  So it was below my hopes of 500 RWHP but as I was only at 10 LBS of boost there is obviously a ton left in it!

More to come as always.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Did you get your transmission issues sorted out?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#38]
How goes your tire smoking hobby?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#39]
any updates

joe dirt must live
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
No need for a new transmission.  This one is fine, I just had the controller set up wrong for a dyno run.
I went over the datalogs and by watching the injector duty cycle the math says the car was making about 490-500 horsepower at the crank.  So it was below my hopes of 500 RWHP but as I was only at 10 LBS of boost there is obviously a ton left in it!

More to come as always.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More to come as always.
It's July

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's July  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

More to come as always.
It's July  

It's August. Time for a bump.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Can't believe I just found this thread!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#43]
joe dirt, joe dirt
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#44]
some one check the CL ads in this area. I wonder if the OP lost interest in the Monte or what. I know life gets in the way of things but the up dates are getting fewer and farther in between. I hope he up dates us before the snow starts flying.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#45]
if you are datalogging with HP tuners, theres a thing in the data logger that you can click to lock the converter
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

More to come as always.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More to come as always.
what are your g/s airflow and g/cyl airmass numbers?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#47]
This keeps getting bumped so I owe the loyal followers an explanation.

I got fed up with the AR15.com forums so I decided to bail out.

Nothing to do with this thread, everyone in it has been great.  But it seems like most every other thread out there is full of people with rude, mean, condescending, know it all attitudes.  I decided I had seen enough.  Like a lot of you all I have seen this happen to so many forums that grow exponentially.  It really is sad to see.  I don't want to participate in a forum where folks are so openly hostile to each other.

So I apologize guys, this thread is officially dead.

If you are in Maine keep an eye out for a clapped out looking Monte Carlo SS that is deceptively fast in a straight line, and heart stoppingly scary in a curve.

See you all around!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Nothing to do with this thread, everyone in it has been great.  But it seems like most every other thread out there is full of people with rude, mean, condescending, know it all attitudes.  I decided I had seen enough.  Like a lot of you all I have seen this happen to so many forums that grow exponentially.  It really is sad to see.  I don't want to participate in a forum where folks are so openly hostile to each other.

If you are in Maine keep an eye out for a clapped out looking Monte Carlo SS that is deceptively fast in a straight line, and heart stoppingly scary in a curve.

See you all around!
View Quote

I understand but am sorry to see you go as i have enjoyed this build from day one. keep the greasy side down.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

See you all around!
View Quote

Hate to see you go!  Thanks for the memories.  I miss my SS.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

See you all around! I7
View Quote

Well, that sucks.

Posting anywhere else about this beast?

PM if you don't want to post it.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top