Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet.

Keep the updates coming.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
More progress today but the pics don't look like a whole lot.  But each little bit is getting me closer.

This weeks parts haul.  On the left are two new sets of head bolt kits.  Then a new set of heads to work with the LS9 gaskets, and on the right an LS1 intake, and at the top a set of ignition coils from an 05 truck.  They have built in heat sinks and are supposed to be superior to the coils I have now.  I wouldn't have bought a new set but 4 of the eight coils I bought with the motor were broken.  So that was a good excuse to upgrade to these!  

There is something familiar about this.  Swapping valve springs from the "old" heads to the "new" heads.

A shot of the motor put back together with the "new" heads and looking pretty decent.  It cleaned up pretty good I think.  Should look pretty nice under the hood with all accessories bolted back on!

How's that for a rusty old nasty gas tank?  Thankfully it is sound and nice and clean on the inside.  Skeezy old sending unit can be seen on the left.  I tried to get a new one locally but it wasn't happening so I am going to re-use this poor old thing!

The sending unit after I adapted it to take the braided stainless line for the fuel system.  It almost seems like a crime to put those sexy AN fittings onto that old POS doesn't it?

More to come, maybe even a little more tomorrow if things go well.  We are having a Christmas party here at our house but I am hoping to sneak some car work in before that happens.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
just an FYI you can't use the F-body pans in a G-body chassis due to the sump on the pan interfering with the frame crossmember. If you want an OEM pan you need the Hummer H3 LS pan Nice page with measurements

On another note nice score on the car, can't beat that price. I've been a G-body owner for 20 years now....still own the first one I bought and have owned 7 others.

Here's a pic of mine (wife has a wtf look on her face lol)

If I had to do it all over again it would be LS powered but since the engine was built before they came around it's a 489 BBC that put down 427hp/454tq on a chassis dyno with a hurt th-700r4, I've since switched to a T-56 manual
I'm a mod on a malibu site that has a LSX swap section btw
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag,Nice Project!
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice score. Ive always been an F-Body guy, but I do want a Monte Carlo SS one of these days.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

just an FYI you can't use the F-body pans in a G-body chassis due to the sump on the pan interfering with the frame crossmember. If you want an OEM pan you need the Hummer H3 LS pan Nice page with measurements

On another note nice score on the car, can't beat that price. I've been a G-body owner for 20 years now....still own the first one I bought and have owned 7 others.

http://www.fidnet.com/~harleyms/Malibu.jpg

If I had to do it all over again it would be LS powered but since the engine was built before they came around it's a 489 BBC that put down 427hp/454tq on a chassis dyno with a hurt th-700r4, I've since switched to a T-56 manual

Nice.  

I always liked that body style. I was working a deal for a 80 model with a police package but it fell through.

Local guy has a 82 (I think) for a decent price.

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.fidnet.com/~harleyms/Malibu.jpg

I love those torque thruster wheels.....best of the aftermarket wheels,
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Shameless bump, I'd rather read about this than the current diatribe on GD.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]
[Joe Dirt] DANG!!! [/Joe Dirt]

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]
This Thread Rocks
I have looked into the Mega Squirt for my Mustang, I need one.....

LOOKY
I  almost committed the ultimate sin and swapped the same exact setup into my Mustang

But I decided to go with a Mod motor when I do my swap
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take shameless bumps!  I'm flattered that anyone is interested in my slow progress!

The fuel system is coming along quite nicely.  

I have finally started making hoses.  I love working with braided stainless and AN fittings.  The stuff is expensive as hell but it is so easy to put together and just works so damn well you gotta love it.

Here are the pressure and return lines attached to the sending unit.  The rubber hose between those two is being used as a vent.

And finally the mighty Bosch 044 on the mount I made for it.  It is mounted on the forward side of the trunk.  The wiring is done and run into the passenger compartment where it will be joined up to the MegaSquirt relay board.  And yep, that's me in the lower left.  Dirty, nasty, rusty underbody is par for the course anywhere in the rust belt.  I know those of you from areas that don't have salt on the roads in the winter are horrified, this is what we have to work with here!  

More to come soon.  I am getting really close.  My goal is to hear this thing bark sometime around the first of the year.  I'm not sure if that will happen or not but that is my goal.  This weekend should bring a lot of progress I hope!

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Dude, the weekend is almost over I need my fix, time for an update.  Shameless bump.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Good progress has been made!

The fuel system is almost done!  The tank is back in, and the feed and return lines are run.  I put 12V to the pump and ran some fuel into a bottle.  Damn does this thing move some fuel!  It's a monster.

The turbo oil return is mounted in the pan.  It comes in on the drivers side just forward of the crossmember.

Using the old flexplate as a template I drilled a new set of holes in the 5.3 flexplate so I can bolt it up to the factory torque converter.  It lines up perfectly.

The stock truck fuel rails were just too damn ugly to go on this pretty motor so I ended buying a set of billet fuel rails along with a new external regulator.  The rails look hot!  They are designed for an LS1 which used a much taller injector than the truck injectors so I had to flip the mounting tabs and then space them up with some nylon spacers I got at Lowe's. I also painted the intake with the same metal flake textured paint I used on the valve covers.  It came out great.

Hanging from the crane one last time before she gets lowered into her new home.

All bolted in and looking good!  Wiring harness is in, coil packs are on, I'm getting so close now I can taste it.

As usual, more to come!

And finally, Merry Christmas to all!!  
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Good looking progress. I worked Aircraft Armament Systems when I was in the AF and that wiring brings back memories!

Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
This thing is going to be badass!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Seriously my favorite thread.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking good.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#19]
i envy you sir, envy you.

Link Posted: 12/31/2012 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Happy, Happy, Happy New Years bump!

My bench racing reason for all of the bumps:
http://s1359.beta.photobucket.com/user/bgrhammer/library/#/user/bgrhammer/library/?&_suid=135702512607705052410041998607http://s1359.beta.photobucket.com/user/bgrhammer/library/#/user/bgrhammer/library/?&_suid=135702512607705052410041998607
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 2:18:31 AM EDT
[#21]
to bad you didnt do this a year ago or so. i just tossed out a shift kit for the TH-200 trans the end of last summer because i knew i was never going to use it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 2:55:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Tag, and bump!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Okay I am late in my next update here haha!  This update will be a bit different as it will be light on pics but does include a video.

Last Thursday (27 December) I finished wiring the MegaSquirt computer in.  Everything worked great except for the ignition input.  I couldn't get it stable!  No stable ignition input means I'll never get the engine to fire.  I have been fighting it for 6 days and finally got it figured out this morning.  What a relief!!!!

Here is a pic of the MS all mounted and wired in on the drivers floor.  Perfect spot for it!  Excuse the ugly wiring on the left, it was temporary to get things sorted.  Much  better quality wiring to come.

And here is a vid to help explain what this thing does.  Hopefully it makes some sense!

Enjoy.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Okay I am late in my next update here haha!  This update will be a bit different as it will be light on pics but does include a video.

Last Thursday (27 December) I finished wiring the MegaSquirt computer in.  Everything worked great except for the ignition input.  I couldn't get it stable!  No stable ignition input means I'll never get the engine to fire.  I have been fighting it for 6 days and finally got it figured out this morning.  What a relief!!!!

Here is a pic of the MS all mounted and wired in on the drivers floor.  Perfect spot for it!  Excuse the ugly wiring on the left, it was temporary to get things sorted.  Much  better quality wiring to come.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/MSunderseat.jpg

And here is a vid to help explain what this thing does.  Hopefully it makes some sense!

Enjoy.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjjnV1yuCAM

Awesome dude, I can't wait to hear that bad boy fire!

Thanks for the video, this thread rocks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Can't wait until there is video of this beast with the t-tops out, Whitesnake blaring on the stereo and smoky burnouts.

Diggin this thread.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Classic styling.  Still an attractive car to look at IMB.

Agreed.

I love that style of car, especially the Old Cutlass Supreme.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Just a little bit of an update tonight.

Fuel pressure regulator is mounted and partly plumbed in, it can be seen on the passenger side inner fender.  The fuel line that had come up on the drivers side has been pulled back out and run up the drivers side, it is just waiting to be cut and attached to the FPR now.  The exhaust manifolds are on and facing forward.  They are there for test purposes now and when I fire the thing up in a few days.  Then they will come off and be sandblasted and painted with hi temp paint, hopefully it will hold up.  I bought a throttle cable for a 99 full size P/U and it fit like a glove,I love when the solutions are easy on this thing!  Fuel rails had to be re-plumbed to accommodate the new fuel line routing.  The fuel pump had to be pulled and reversed on its mounting point which made me have to drop the tank again, lots of stupid little details at this point before she can light off.

Just a couple more days and she is going to growl.  This is a drill weekend so I'm not too keen on doing a lot of work after drill so it may be delayed a bit but hopefully by next weekend she will be alive!

As always, stay tuned.

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Its getting there, cant wait to here it run.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Turbo monte, wannabe grand national?
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#31]
My first car was a used 83 Monte Carlo SS, with the bench seat.

Many good times were had.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Can't wait to hear this thing start up!
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Turbo monte, wannabe grand national?

Well, since the car is-

1.  A Monte Carlo and not a Regal
2.  Silver and not black
3.  A V8 and not a V6

Then no, I think it is safe to say that it isn't a Grand National wannabe.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Sexy. Love that body style
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Can't wait to hear this thing start up!

This! Can't wait to hear that Monte growl!

Awesome thread!
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Success!  After lots and lots of work, trial and error, and just plain screwing around she has come to life.

There aren't a whole lot of folks running an LSx on a Megasquirt 2 to do both fuel and spark so I struggled a bit to get to where I am.  But I have made it!

In the video she is obviously running pig rich but it IS running.  Sadly this will be the last of it for me until about mid April.  I am leaving shortly for a couple of months so she is going to have to sit cold and lonely.  But I will be back in the Spring.

Thanks to everyone who has been following along for your continued enthusiasm, it has helped to keep me motivated.  Keep an eye out later in the year for some tire frying goodness!

See you all in a few months.

Enjoy the vid.  The car is so loud with open manifolds and in the garage it just blows the microphones on both cameras away but it still sounds pretty sweet in my opinion.  Turn it up!

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Love the thread.   Good luck in Tech School and will monitor this thread for updates.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey your exh mani's are on back'erds!

Awesome build, what size snail?
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

70MM with a .68 A/R turbine housing, that turbine housing is a bit small for a 5.3L engine but she should have instantaneous boost when the loud pedal is pushed!  Compressor map says it should be good for 600+ wheel horsepower but I think it may choke up a bit before that.  But since I am shooting for 500 RWHP I think it will be fine!  
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Awesome!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Good for you man. You almost got me to go with MS2 or 3 in my Omni, but I've decided to stay with the stock stuff we have. One of the guys has rewritten most of the code so that we have 90+% of the functionality of the MS stuff without the cost. I very well may go with a used unit if I can find one for a steal some day.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Success!  After lots and lots of work, trial and error, and just plain screwing around she has come to life.

There aren't a whole lot of folks running an LSx on a Megasquirt 2 to do both fuel and spark so I struggled a bit to get to where I am.  But I have made it!

In the video she is obviously running pig rich but it IS running.  Sadly this will be the last of it for me until about mid April.  I am leaving shortly for a couple of months so she is going to have to sit cold and lonely.  But I will be back in the Spring.

Thanks to everyone who has been following along for your continued enthusiasm, it has helped to keep me motivated.  Keep an eye out later in the year for some tire frying goodness!

See you all in a few months.

Enjoy the vid.  The car is so loud with open manifolds and in the garage it just blows the microphones on both cameras away but it still sounds pretty sweet in my opinion.  Turn it up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN8r5ru3oeA

GREAT SUCCESS!

Awesome, I bet your neighbors love you.

Good luck at the tech school!
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN8r5ru3oeA

My buddy is/was running MS2 on a LS 5.3,  and is in the process of running a 6.0 on it this summer.  I can relay some ?'s to him if you have any.  

Your car is looking good.

Hopefully you don't mind,  Here's some pics of the current project we are working on.  A 4.6 bored to approx 5.0 turboed,  running MS3 and a seperate Ford Trans control unit.  (GPIO)

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#44]
GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER. I can't lose my weekly fix.  
Well at least I got my micro reloading bench started this weekend to tide me over until you come back!
Good luck at school and gain some knowlege so we can all be impressed when you return!
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#45]
You suck for leaving us hanging after that!

The car is looking great though!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I approve very much of this thread!
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Very cool that you got it fired and running smoothly. I may have to look into this MegaSquirt for my S-10 V-8 swap.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Very cool that you got it fired and running smoothly. I may have to look into this MegaSquirt for my S-10 V-8 swap.

Arfcom of DIY EFI/engine management.    HERE
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#50]
This thing is bad ass. I can't wait for updates in the early spring.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top