Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 9/27/2012 5:08:22 AM EDT
CHEYENNE — A Wyoming sheriff’s deputy who detained a combat veteran in handcuffs for openly carrying a pistol offered to let him go if he agreed to let another deputy draw his weapon and shoot if the veteran made any sudden moves while driving away, court records show.

Capt. Robert Pierson, a U.S. Marine Corps helicopter pilot who has served two combat tours in Afghanistan, filed a civil rights lawsuit over the August 2011 incident.

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/article_e439c5ae-a4e3-5b3a-9392-89945c76aa88.html

Think this is a youtube from it

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/mobile/news/2012/09/ap-marine-helicopter-pilot-sues-over-wyoming-traffic-stop-092412
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:11:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I found the problem:

Bassett said in the sworn statement that he had been trained to put his personal safety above the rights of a citizen openly carrying a handgun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:13:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Deputy obviously in the wrong here, but I think OC is an unecessary problem and generally should be avoided.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Deputy obviously in the wrong here, but I think OC is an unecessary problem and generally should be avoided.

Your viewpoint is foolish.  OC is not the problem.  A stupid cop is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This business of busy bodies calling in other drivers for non or fabricated events is getting out of hand.

WTF
A person had reported that someone matching Pierson’s description had passed a number of slow-moving motorhomes, authorities said.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What kind of gay cowboy shit is this?

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#7]
There's a lot of felons that open carry weapons... oh wait.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]
The usual Hey, Let's Fuck With Law Abiding Citizens game.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#9]
We relish OC here. I will NEVER get you anti OC folks. It's fine if you don't want to do it, but to have a problem with others doing it? Retarded and anti 2am.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#10]
No kidding. I love it here in VA!
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#11]
We’re told every day, our safety is first,” he said. “We’re here to come home every night.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I love it when people who have never been in the military try to compare their hardships with people who have. Class act.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#13]
This should be good.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I understand the potential for problems OC'ing. But FOLLOWING the law is not a problem. Uneducated LE and their departments is the issue.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hell ya. Fucking with criminals can get dangerous; best leave those bastards alone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The troll is strong with this one!  

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:36:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Cop was a dick.  But the dude should have given him the heads up about carrying.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he shouldn't be practicing his 1st Amendment rights, for him it should generally be avoided.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#19]
The one mistake the Captain made is not answering the question "do you have any weapons on you" with a real answer.  It seems like THAT is what really set the cop off.

That doesn't make the officer right, but it might have avoided the whole situation if he'd said "Yes sir, I am open carrying in accordance with WY law.  My handgun is on my belt on my right hip."

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Cop was a dick.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:41:25 AM EDT
[#21]
That YouTube clip is awesome.....cop had no idea how to handle that situation.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I love it when people who have never been in the military try to compare their hardships with people who have. Class act.

Agreed but there is a flip side, I have known a few REMF types that never saw combat try to milk the system by claiming PTSD.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We’re told every day, our safety is first,” he said. “We’re here to come home every night.

Go be a librarian, fuck face.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:44:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I usually have 2-3 guns with me.  I just don't take them in the hardware store on the outside.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I hope the guy gets paid!
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:45:39 AM EDT
[#27]
IN.

This thread has it all.

Cops.

Vet.

Open carry.

Harley.

The opportunities for this to self destruct are endless.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stupid cop+ open carry guy with the usual tape recorder open carrying on a motorcycle+'holy shit man with a gun"+cop acts like cocksucker=pay out in civil court
If you had the time and were willing to risk being shot by some panic stricken cop you could probably make a reasonable living riding around in open carry states with a pistol waiting for some police officer to act like a dick on tape.

Yeah, but that only works if you have uneducated dickhead cops with over-inflated egos lurking around.

Wait.   What ?

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The one mistake the Captain made is not answering the question "do you have any weapons on you" with a real answer.  It seems like THAT is what really set the cop off.

That doesn't make the officer right, but it might have avoided the whole situation if he'd said "Yes sir, I am open carrying in accordance with WY law.  My handgun is on my belt on my right hip."

Pierson, who recorded much of his interaction with Bassett and Andazola, told Bassett only that he didn’t consent to any searches.

The captain was riding a motorcycle and the weapon was plainly visible on his belt. The cops wanted to search his person because they were wanting to nail him for anything. It's likely the police officer was not used to OC and got mad about it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:49:01 AM EDT
[#30]
The LEO openly admitted he was above the law. He needs prison time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I think I found the problem:

Bassett said in the sworn statement that he had been trained to put his personal safety above the rights of a citizen openly carrying a handgun.

A-yep...

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

IOW... It isn't the over bearing, Nanny State, hyperventilating idiocy, it's the guy exercising his fundamental human Rights that is the problem.

Wow.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:52:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This business of busy bodies calling in other drivers for non or fabricated events is getting out of hand.

WTF

A person had reported that someone matching Pierson’s description had passed a number of slow-moving motorhomes, authorities said.

He's obviously a scofflaw who deserves to be threatened with deadly force. /sarc

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell ya. Fucking with criminals can get dangerous; best leave those bastards alone.

You could always go into retail sales...

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The LEO openly admitted he was above the law. He needs prison time.

Where?

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Cop was a dick.

Yep. Seemed scared, too.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:57:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this. Once upon a time people OC all the time and it was no big deal. We have allowed our rights to slowly erode
causing us to have to hide our firearms and buy a permit to enjoy our rights.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#39]
This should get good.  Tag for later video viewing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed but there is a flip side, I have known a few REMF types that never saw combat try to milk the system by claiming PTSD.

Sure. But what business does the cop have asking those kind of questions? I hate to break it to him, but I-90 is not Route Irish.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:02:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Gotta say I'm surprised this happened out in Wyoming.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#42]
He probably should have said "yes I have a firearm." The cop I dont think would have acted differently.
"I dont like people with guns!"
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#43]
So, what I've read about Wyoming says:

Must Inform Officer
6-8-104.
(b) The permittee shall carry the permit, together with valid identification at all times when the permittee is carrying a concealed firearm and shall display both the permit and proper identification upon request of any peace officer. "emphasis added"

Does this included it the officer can't see it due to obstructions, like the motorcycle? Should he have just answered the officer in the first place. That's the only part I'm a waffling over a bit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this. Once upon a time people OC all the time and it was no big deal. We have allowed our rights to slowly erode

This..............................................................................................................
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The one mistake the Captain made is not answering the question "do you have any weapons on you" with a real answer. It seems like THAT is what really set the cop off.

That doesn't make the officer right, but it might have avoided the whole situation if he'd said "Yes sir, I am open carrying in accordance with WY law. My handgun is on my belt on my right hip."

We get a lot of that, it seems. An officer is acting like a raging idiot, but it is up to a citizen to 'avoid the situation'.

If there is no legal obligation to announce that he is carrying, tough titties.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your viewpoint is foolish. OC is not the problem. A stupid cop is.

Guys, I OC all the time for snakes.  But there is no one around.  I guess I should have said I don't like to OC in town, don't care what anyone else does.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

CHEYENNE — A Wyoming sheriff’s deputy who detained a combat veteran in handcuffs for openly carrying a pistol offered to let him go if he agreed to let another deputy draw his weapon and shoot if the veteran made any sudden moves while driving away, court records show.

Capt. Robert Pierson, a U.S. Marine Corps helicopter pilot who has served two combat tours in Afghanistan, filed a civil rights lawsuit over the August 2011 incident.

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/article_e439c5ae-a4e3-5b3a-9392-89945c76aa88.html

Think this is a youtube from it
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/mobile/news/2012/09/ap-marine-helicopter-pilot-sues-over-wyoming-traffic-stop-092412
Wow the cop really is a dick bout this whole stop

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pierson, who recorded much of his interaction with Bassett and Andazola, told Bassett only that he didn’t consent to any searches.

The captain was riding a motorcycle and the weapon was plainly visible on his belt. The cops wanted to search his person because they were wanting to nail him for anything. It's likely the police officer was not used to OC and got mad about it.

Don't get me wrong, I think the officer WAY, WAY overstepped in this case, but put this scenario in your mental MSPaint diagram.  The officer approaches the bike on its left side because they're pulled over on the right shoulder.  The rider is wearing a gun on his right side, not visible to the officer.  The rider asks to dismount the bike so he can get to his wallet, which is the equivalent of asking to get out of a car.  That changes the risk probability for the officer.  He asks the rider prior to dismounting if he has any weapons and the rider gives him an answer that effectively dodges the question with "I don't consent to any searches".  If you were the cop, would that not immediately make you think "this guy is nervous and has something to hide".  

At that point, were I the officer, I would have asked "I understand and you haven't given me any reason to search you.  I just want to know if I'm speaking to someone who is carrying a weapon."

The rider isn't bound by law to notify the officer without being prompted, but I'd be curious to see what the law is regarding lying to a cop when asked the direct question of "do you have a weapon".

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#49]
The fact that the person stopped is a combat vet is irrelevant. This cop was either ignorant, or more likely thinks he is above the law.

I say hammer him.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#50]
The article is very short on details, however I really don't see how it could be favorable for the officers involved.  Sounds like a pretty serious violation of rights as well as what could be considered a criminal threat in some jurisdictions (by the officer).

Pay the man, and yes the dept needs to issue a statement as well as conduct training regarding OC and CCW.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top