Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be able to find inner tubes to fit...pull the valve stems out of the rims & tube the tires.  Works great in a pinch
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Tube best option (besides new).  I had a tire on my wheel horse that sounds similar to what you have, my final goal is to get a

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
.... (new phone is a pita. Lol)

As I was saying,  once restore done I am putting aggs on it.   But for now I tried a can of green slime and it worked.  Maybe worth a shot for you

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
sadly slime won't fix sidewall leaks.

Maybe not all the time but it has worked on my mower with severely dry rotted tires for a little over a year.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The correct fix is new tires.

If you wont do that, the next best is to tube them. I don't know what kind of nonsense you're talking about with punctures. How many punctures do you honestly think you'll get between now and when you replace the tires(which you still need to do, the tubes are just a bandaid for now)? Even if you get a puncture, patching a tube is easier than patching a tire, plugging a tire may be about equal. Tubes will probably run you half the cost of just replacing the tires though.

If you refuse to buy tubes, go ahead and put slime in it. You might just end up wasting money though. I know everyone here loves slime but I see that crap come in inside of tires all the time. Why are the tires here? Oh, because they still leak. It's also pretty nasty to the rim if left in there for a extended period of time, will rot it out quicker.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I made it work on mine, see my previous post.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that may work on a tractor but the small tires and low speed on a mower aren't going to give you enough force to "slosh it". also mower tires tend to get LOTS of micro splits in the side wall.

She's still holding. You underestimate the slosh factor when you do fullspeed figure 8's. 1 tube of slime in each front tire.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 3:52:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that may work on a tractor but the small tires and low speed on a mower aren't going to give you enough force to "slosh it". also mower tires tend to get LOTS of micro splits in the side wall.

Worked for me as well, see my previous post.  I just set the tire so the slime settled right over it with air pressure in the 30-40's.  Still holding air.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 3:59:20 AM EDT
[#11]
If you don't want to tube the tires then replacement of the tires is the only other way to fix leaky side walls.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#12]
prob wouldnt help ur old tires but might worth it when u get new ones.

http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Tire-Sealant-Quart-P51.aspx

I use this stuff for my mtn bike and run tubeless. it has sealed up 1/4inch sidewalk gashes while on the trail.

you may have to fake the funk on the measurement/quantity for a larger tire.

J-
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 4:21:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I've had enough of leaking mower tires. Sidewalls are cracked and it looks like a foamy donut when I spray 'em down with soapy water.

I don't want to put a tube in because it's a PITA to fix punctures later on.

Slime and related products aren't known to be effective on sidewalls.

A new round of tires just isn't in the cards right now $$$.

I'm thinking of breaking them down, cleaning them up inside, and brushing on some sealant around the offending area.

There's about 87 different kinds of caulking tubes on the shelf, and I have no idea which formulation to use.

Any ideas on a product that might fit the bill?

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Correct fix would be new tires.

Slime or other sealant should work, but you will need to put enough in there to coat the whole inside of the tire - fill it at least half full of sealant.

Lowe's and others carry foam replacement tires and rims.

Many users plug the sidewalls of mower tires, especially in the commercial end where the guys will hit anything within a football fields distance away...

PAR

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#15]
How about spraying the inside with some of that rubber spray or undercoating you see on tv?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top