Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:19:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Lynyrd Skynard. Fuck their anti gun bullshit. Fuck their groveling over the Confederate Flag, and fuck their shitty corn fed music.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
That is so not rock n' roll.

Most musicians use the flag as a rebellious middle finger against authority and social norms, rather than as a statement on politics and race.

eta- wow, just noticed Dime's dogtag here looked familiar. It's a dogtag in BF3 as well. Never put that together til now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I cannot find a reason to give a fuck.

It astounds me that in 2012, people are still clinging to the Confederate Flag
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The anti-gun band with a kiddie-toucher behind the drum kit?  Hell with them.

What's up with that?   About 20 years ago I knew of a guy in his 40s who was messed up in the head, still wore Underoos and lived with his elderly mother who took care of him.   He maintained that he went to a Skynyrd concert when he was 13 and was invited backstage where he was molested by the band members.  

I dismissed it as just crazy talk but when you said that I remembered him.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's up with that?   About 20 years ago I knew of a guy in his 40s who was messed up in the head, still wore Underoos and lived with his elderly mother who took care of him.   He maintained that he went to a Skynyrd concert when he was 13 and was invited backstage where he was molested by the band members.  

Artimus Pyle, drummer
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#6]
LSINO
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Grossly overplayed since the 70s, they need ot just go away.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Well if Elton John is busy,  they can do the 200th anniversary for HD.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty sure that if you got David Allan Coe liquored up enough, he'd gladly beat Gary Rossington's ass. You probably wouldn't even have to get him liquored up.

A man ain't never to old to fight for The Flag.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is offensive but "Saturday Night Special" is okay? Bunch of Southern Democrats

This is a bizarre statement since the confederate flag has been posted on everything with their name on it for decades

Actually, the current version of Lynryd Skynryd has a live version of "Saturday Night Special" that is almost pro-gun compared to the original (heard it on Pandora).   The band always struck me as Fuddish on guns in a particularly Southern way (Duck guns are the birthright of all real men/Handguns bad) , so it was nice to see the change.

And "Sweet Home Alabama" doesn't praise George Wallace.  If Wikipedia cites can be trusted, it was meant as a poke at Wallace.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The most famous song by the band, Sweet Home Alabama, praises former Governor and presidential candidate George Wallace.

In 1975, Van Zant said: "The lyrics about the governor of Alabama were misunderstood. The general public didn't notice the words 'Boo! Boo! Boo!' after that particular line, and the media picked up only on the reference to the people loving the governor."[4] "The line 'We all did what we could do' is sort of ambiguous," Al Kooper notes. "'We tried to get Wallace out of there' is how I always thought of it."[4] Journalist Al Swenson argues that the song is more complex than it is sometimes given credit for, suggesting that it only looks like an endorsement of Wallace.[4] "Wallace and I have very little in common," Van Zant himself said, "I don't like what he says about colored people."[4]

Wiki citation - however, I thought this was common knowledge...

please stop using facts.

GR
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I like how the article does'nt mention that George Wallace was a Democrat.  I thought all White Nationalist were Republicans.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Most recent album I listen to is Street Survivors.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I got over Skynard when I left my teens behind.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Artimus Pyle, drummer

on the other hand, they're not all scumbags.... I met Johnny van Zant at an airport once, super nice guy...he was wearing a tee shirt, jorts and new balances.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw them open for Kid Rock a few years back. They sounded like the bad cover band they are. Pretty sad really. We saw a LS cover band that summer at a local festival, and they sounded better than the so called real thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#17]

So what is "Saturday Night Special" about?
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"Hey guys, I have a great idea... let's piss on our fan base to placate people who despise us."

Pretty much - no great loss, since they've been nothing but an over priced cover band for quite awhile - and this is coming from someone who plays in a cover band...

- georgestrings

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Stupid move.  The only people who are interested in seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd tend to be the ones who like the Confederate flag.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Hard to pull off the whole Rebel/Outlaw/Fuck-You persona when you are trying to be politically correct

L-S jumped the shark long ago
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:19:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Maybe they're setting up for a tour with the Dixie Chicks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Title is incorrect should be fan singular
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#23]
It's a stupid fucking flag anyway.......good riddence
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't worry, Jewdriver has your back.

Sort of.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is offensive but "Saturday Night Special" is okay? Bunch of Southern Democrats

This is a bizarre statement since the confederate flag has been posted on everything with their name on it for decades

Ill bet 99% of the fans dont even know what that song's about.

It ain't good for nothing... 'cept putting a man six feet in a hole.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there some super secret meaning that is not patently obvious from the lyrics?  It's about as subtle as Clapton's Cocaine.
Lack of subtly in the message doesn't stop idiots from jamming out to "That Smell" when they're boozing/toking up while cruising backroads.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The best parts of that band are six feet under Gainseville FL.

True
http://swampland.com/articles/view/title:the_gritz_legends_of_southern_rock_photo_scrapbook_part_18_memorials
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Fuck em'.  A Southern man don't need them around, anyhow.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, the current version of Lynryd Skynryd has a live version of "Saturday Night Special" that is almost pro-gun compared to the original (heard it on Pandora).   The band always struck me as Fuddish on guns in a particularly Southern way (Duck guns are the birthright of all real men/Handguns bad) , so it was nice to see the change.

They are still very much antigun. I posted a direct quote from them in a thread a year or so ago but I've since thrown the magazine out with the interview.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#30]
It was probably that liberal fuck Sparky that talked them into it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Most musicians use the flag as a rebellious middle finger against authority and social norms, rather than as a statement on politics and race.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2007/322/2/3/Dimebag_Darrell_by_metalviking.jpg

eta- wow, just noticed Dime's dogtag here looked familiar. It's a dogtag in BF3 as well. Never put that together til now.

Exactly.

And that ain't a dog tag, it's a razor blade.......sniiiiiiiiiiif.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Hm, news to me. I happen to know no one in that band cares if the flag offends. So that's a new one to me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#33]
This is funny considering I saw them less than 2 weeks ago, and they had 3-4 different flags displayed during the course of the set.

ETA: They rocked freakin' hard!
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#34]

That's in Orange Park, not Gainesville.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Love Skynyrd... Original group and current group.
That's like saying the 4th Gen Glock is a POS and the original is better..... Oh, wait....  Nevermind
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I saw the original band, in October, 1976
then again in the late 90's while it was a good show it was more of a big sing-a-long
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2007/322/2/3/Dimebag_Darrell_by_metalviking.jpg

Exactly.

oh, derp...yah not familiar with safety razors
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I always thought they were hypocrites after I first heard Saturday Night Special. How does that song fit with Give Me Back My Bullets?
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
meh. who cares.  that band died with Ronnie

And Chris.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there some super secret meaning that is not patently obvious from the lyrics?  It's about as subtle as Clapton's Cocaine.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Way to know your core audience, dumb asses.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They aren't Southern Democrats.

And Saturday Night Special was written how many decades ago? They all like guns. Maybe they were a little stupid back then, but the ones that are still around aren't exactly lefties.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

/thread
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I wonder what this guy thinks of it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Interdasting....

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

oh, derp...yah not familiar with safety razors

Yeah, they come in handy when you're a coke headed rock star.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it is obvious.
Ill still bet most dont get it, and think its a catchy tune about guns.

Most people don't pay attention to lyrics except for the chorus.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't let that flag hit the ground....
RVZ
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
1 original member...?
The band is dead and played out...

So's the flag.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top