Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was pulling into the gun shop parking lot and I saw one who zeroed in on me. So I park and he walks up to my door and before he even says anything a shake my head "no" but he keeps standing there a foot from my door. I put my hand in my gun bag (they have a pistol range on the top floor) and tell him "Go on now" and he keeps standing there. I got ready to pull it out and set it on my lap so he sees im not playing but before I do he walked away and down the street. I waited until he was gone and went on my way, but it takes balls to beg for money in a gun shop parking lot and then not go away when told to.

The guy may have not even realized where he was but in any case, being in a gunshop parking lot is a bad idea when someone tells you to go away!

If he didnt know where he was then he must be beyond help. The side of the building says BOBS GUN SHOP in 10 foot letters, neon Winchester and Federal signs in the windows, and a parking lot full of NRA stickers.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The answer to any stranger is "No".  Jeez, this crap happened again today.  Going into TJ's and this homeless wastrel on on bike says, "Hey buddy, can I ask you a favor?"  "Nope"  Out of my peripheral I can see him reaching for my shoulder and there is this part of me that gets so pissed off about being hit up in the parking lot and an extended hand is just so much potential fun...  But discretion and all that.

If they were reaching for me, I would go "high alert". Discretion is well advised. I like your logic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I cut them off before they even start their story and tell them "No, not interested". Never had one push it further than that other than one guy who yelled "Fuck you cracker" and started approaching aggressively but a quick look at the handle of a G19 when I pulled my jacket back changed his mind and turned him around.

They're all cons. Decent people don't hang around gas stations begging people for money.

I had a bad situation happen around a gas station. I was out of gas on a hill near it. I was about 18 or 19 at the time. I asked people for a jump start because I had depleted my battery trying to get my car to start before I rolled the car near a gas pump in neutral. Battery was completely dead. I pumped the gas I needed. Car still was dead of course with no juice from the battery. A guy in a cab came by and offered me a hook up from his car. He got my car going again after I connected my battery cables to his ride. Nice fellow. How would any of you other folks handled this? I had a few no`s but after about 3 times I guess, this fellow said yes. I was so happy to go home after work. Albeit I wasn`t asking for money, I just needed some help from an outside party. Would you do the same?
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was in Walmart middle of the day about a month ago when a really fat white woman rolls up to me in one of the stores electric carts and hands me a ratty looking print out that said something like "deaf and hungry please give $5" or something similar. Something seemed off about her so I just handed it back and walked away. On the way out of the store there she is standing at the curb when a pretty nice looking truck pulls up and the driver yells out the window "how'd ya do?". She holds up and shakes her begging cup and says something like "only ten fucking dollars". Fuck I hate people.

Had the same guy approach me three times in a month at the same service station with the same "I need money to get my tire fixed" story.

LOL!

I had the same guy hit me up at ONE gas station with the SAME story EVERY time! TWICE!!!!
THEN, he hit me up at a 3rd gas station with the same story about 2 miles away for the 3rd time. I told him..."YOU again???????????? When are you going to get home!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!"

He did a 180.....disappeared and I haven`t seen him since!
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of the people I have met looking for money or handouts have been decently dressed and are VERY personable, likable individuals. This is what I have found anyway. None were your average bums / long greasy hair and with alcohol on their breath or slurred speech while they were talking to you. Also they were clean shaven and apologetic that they even had to ask for money.  These guys were smooth. Had the gift of gab.

The good ones can make a few hundred bucks a day tax free.

I am starting to believe it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why waste time trying to uncover their bullshit?  I would say 99.98% is bull, granted I am jaded.....

We all get like that over time. I don`t want to be.

Then get used to being taken advantage of. Can you lend me fifty bucks until payday?

Hate to say it, you are right.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If they use the "I'm hungry" line - I usually offer to buy them a sandwich or something of the like.  Most of the time - they turn it down and want money instead.  Strange, I thought food was the cure for hunger.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was pulling into the gun shop parking lot and I saw one who zeroed in on me. So I park and he walks up to my door and before he even says anything a shake my head "no" but he keeps standing there a foot from my door. I put my hand in my gun bag (they have a pistol range on the top floor) and tell him "Go on now" and he keeps standing there. I got ready to pull it out and set it on my lap so he sees im not playing but before I do he walked away and down the street. I waited until he was gone and went on my way, but it takes balls to beg for money in a gun shop parking lot and then not go away when told to.

The guy may have not even realized where he was but in any case, being in a gunshop parking lot is a bad idea when someone tells you to go away!

If he didnt know where he was then he must be beyond help. The side of the building says BOBS GUN SHOP in 10 foot letters, neon Winchester and Federal signs in the windows, and a parking lot full of NRA stickers.

"Some people....you just can`t reach! "
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I cut them off before they even start their story and tell them "No, not interested". Never had one push it further than that other than one guy who yelled "Fuck you cracker" and started approaching aggressively but a quick look at the handle of a G19 when I pulled my jacket back changed his mind and turned him around.

They're all cons. Decent people don't hang around gas stations begging people for money.

I had a bad situation happen around a gas station. I was out of gas on a hill near it. I was about 18 or 19 at the time. I asked people for a jump start because I had depleted my battery trying to get my car to start before I rolled the car near a gas pump in neutral. Battery was completely dead. I pumped the gas I needed. Car still was dead of course with no juice from the battery. A guy in a cab came by and offered me a hook up from his car. He got my car going again after I connected my battery cables to his ride. Nice fellow. How would any of you other folks handled this? I had a few no`s but after about 3 times I guess, this fellow said yes. I was so happy to go home after work. Albeit I wasn`t asking for money, I just needed some help from an outside party. Would you do the same?

If you need a jump I'll gladly give you one provided you're not asking my to drive you to some other location where said "car" is. A guy standing by a car, hood up, in a public place gets more leeway from me. I've even stopped and changed flat tires for elderly folks and one pregnant woman before. I have no problem with helping out somebody in legitimate need that I can clearly see. I can't give you any deeper insight than saying "I know when a scammer is about to ask for money as he/she approaches" and I don't give money to anybody on the street.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone soliciting you for money or handouts is a scammer and is lying to you.

Easy enough?  I thought so

Want to help?  Donate or volunteer with reputable organizations.

Are you absolutely sure of this?

100%, no doubt, no question, no chance that the person is actually in need of something. We have cell phones. Poor people get them for free, or they get Boost, Metro, etc. If you're up shit creek are you going to run up to strangers in a parking lot or are you going to call your friends?

"My wallet and my phone got stolen."

"I'll call the police for you. Hang on, they'll be here in a few minutes."

Quoted:
I will bet the cop on the street has a lot of experience in street scams. That is why I am asking. I am suspicious of most anyone.

Bums and addicts generally disappear when the police are around.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet.  ALL these guys and gals have a weapon of some sort. It can be a knife, sharpened screwdriver or shiv, but they all carry one.  Scammers get robbed all the time by OTHER scammers.

Also, watch out for their friends approaching you when they have your attention. This seems to be a standard practice around St Louis.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Just tell them you don't have any money.  If they look at you like they don't believe you, tell them you are married. It works every time for me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Moving to Vegas taught me how to deal with these shitheads pretty quick. I watched them target people as they entered the parking lots. Some guys  would ride bikes around big parking lots to swoop in on people as they are getting out of their cars, then run off quickly when security or management would yell at them.
I started saying saying "I dont carry cash" in a serious tone of voice with a stern, FUCK YOU look. I always figured anybody that pushed farther would deserve the next line "spent it all on bullets".

One guy caught me coming out of Little Caesars. He hid in a dark corner and emerged like a classic fucking robbery. "Hey man..."

I was super pissed/startled and I just blurted out "NO CASH, ONLY BULLETS!!". He might have shit himself.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you need a jump I'll gladly give you one provided you're not asking my to drive you to some other location where said "car" is. A guy standing by a car, hood up, in a public place gets more leeway from me. I've even stopped and changed flat tires for elderly folks and one pregnant woman before. I have no problem with helping out somebody in legitimate need that I can clearly see. I can't give you any deeper insight than saying "I know when a scammer is about to ask for money as he/she approaches" and I don't give money to anybody on the street.

Hate to say it. I don`t want strangers in my car to give them lifts to some other destination. I think that is one dangerous situation no one should try. One should not tempt fate that extent. Just my opinion. Some do anyhow.

I had an older buddy back in the early 80`s ( he is gone now ) once tell me, "I used to pick up strangers occasionally. When they got weird, told them I could put this old truck into the ditch or a tree and it would hurt them worse than it did him". Was an argument settler in all cases.

No. He didn`t die of putting his old truck into a tree or whatnot. Anuerism killed him stone cold.

I sure miss him..........................

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet.  ALL these guys and gals have a weapon of some sort. It can be a knife, sharpened screwdriver or shiv, but they all carry one.  Scammers get robbed all the time by OTHER scammers.

Also, watch out for their friends approaching you when they have your attention. This seems to be a standard practice around St Louis.

So they travel in pairs or groups?

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#16]
And this motherfucker. I watched him from a mexican restaurant window play crippled for about 45 minutes. Then he packed up his shit and trotted off. He seemed pissed when I snapped his pic.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just tell them you don't have any money.  If they look at you like they don't believe you, tell them you are married. It works every time for me.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Moving to Vegas taught me how to deal with these shitheads pretty quick. I watched them target people as they entered the parking lots. Some guys  would ride bikes around big parking lots to swoop in on people as they are getting out of their cars, then run off quickly when security or management would yell at them.
I started saying saying "I dont carry cash" in a serious tone of voice with a stern, FUCK YOU look. I always figured anybody that pushed farther would deserve the next line "spent it all on bullets".
One guy caught me coming out of Little Caesars. He hid in a dark corner and emerged like a classic fucking robbery. "Hey man..."
I was super pissed/startled and I just blurted out "NO CASH, ONLY BULLETS!!". He might have shit himself.

I lol'ed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're so eager to help people, donate to a charity or something. People who accost others for money at public places are turds 99% of the time. Don't be a sucker.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Look dude, im a cop. I worked for a while in a shit area full of turds and homeless people, many of them were also turds.

Heres the thing. I dont care if they're really homeless and genuinely in need of help, or they're just bums, or they're mentally ill. If you any of them a dime for any reason, all you are doing is reinforcing their begging and encouraging them to stay on the street and postpone true independence in order to beg for easy money.

I would say that about 50% of the bums i deal with were casual drug/alcohol abusers that just didnt give enough of a shit to kick their habit and get a real job and exist in the real world. About 10% were legitimate head cases that were unemployable and were out there because all they could do is shake a cup. The rest were just lazy fucking bums that wouldnt follow the worlds rules.

I would say that between the 50% of the substance abusers and the remaining 40% of straight up bums... The combined 90% probably had 70% of them doing criminal shit for money, food, shelter, drugs.

Never in my life have i checked the criminal history of any street panhandler and found one that was not a convicted criminal. Some of them are robbing, murdering rapists.

Im all about charity. I donate money to local groups that actually try to get these people off the street. I volunteer in my community. And I do my part in throwing as many of these types in jail as i can.

However i would stand on a street corner with a sign that says "screw bums" and set myself on fire while holding the sign than give any of them a penny.

Again, let me reiterate, giving them money will keep them dependent on begging in the street. Donating that money to a legitimate, government approved charity or rehabilitation center will usher them to off the street chasing the cheese and they may actually get help and straighten themselves out that way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had a really insistent one a few months ago. He persisted after I told him "No," and followed me to my car. He finally went away after I gripped my 640 (didn't draw it) in my pants pocket and turned to face him.

OK. That is getting down to the wire. Probably made for an intense situation.

Oh, he backed away quite quickly. Problem is I was sort of cornered, as I had just opened my car door.

I realize now that by opening the door I was sort of trapped; yet I was also shielded from view (it was a semi-busy gas station parking lot) in case I had to draw.

Unfortunately, it was in a part of town where the cell service sucks, and I couldn't call the po-po.

eta I also gave him my "Undivided Attention" stare: part pissed-off, part ready-to-shoot. I also stopped talking to him after I went into my pocket.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
All of the people I have met looking for money or handouts have been decently dressed and are VERY personable, likable individuals. This is what I have found anyway. None were your average bums with alcohol on their breath or slurred speech while they were talking to you.

The in thing these days is to have a "Story" and be well dressed and presentable.  They usually ask for a specific large amount.   Black guy in a suit: "I lost my wallet, may I please have $35.00 for a hotel room"      

Suburban housewife: "Can I have $13.50 to buy some fried chicken?"  

Older lady dressed like a Flight Attendant and dragging a suitcase  "Hi, I wonder if you can spare $38.00 for a hotel"  

Two young women, one cute, one ugly  "Hi, we ran out of gas, can we have $20.00"

I spend a lot of time at hotels and restaurants, and that is where they usually lurk.

No need to ask any questions.  If their lips are moving, they are lying.  

There must be a Hobo website where they learn the scams and the spiels.    

Anyone know what it is?

It's right here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 12:36:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I just tell them "Take a fucking walk" before they even finish the first word.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 12:56:47 AM EDT
[#26]
You have an insight. It is a gift I think.... or experience.......not sure which. Either way, It is valuable what you know.

It's a lot of each. Just remember: Any instance in which a stranger approaches you is unusual. Most muggers, panhandlers and (I'll just add this) telephone pitch men are using your well-conditioned sense of good manners against you.

Let me repeat that: They are using your good manners as a weapon against you!  As has already been pointed out in this thread: most of the people on this board have compassion and good manners. Grifters, panhandlers and muggers use these traits against their victims. Don't be a victim!

So, cliff's notes:

OP is a genuinely good guy who wants to help, who hates to turn away anyone who needs his help. He wants to know how to ID the good ones and turn away the bad ones. But there are several catches:

AT LEAST 70% of panhandlers are lying big time (i.e. they live considerably above their apparent lifestyle).

It's a dead certainty tha these guys are soft-talking you to get inside your defenses. This is true if they are non-violent panhandlers or muggers.

Truly needy people know that there are places (churches, shelters, etc) for food.

The chances of being mugged, injured and/or killed is too great; turn ‘em away.

Story: Some years ago I was approached in an auto parts store lot by some scruffy dude with a broken fan belt. "Can you give me $1.00 so I can buy a new belt?" he whined. I dug some odd change out of my pocket and gave it to him. He looked at it and whined, "Do you have the rest of it?"
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Having worked 3rd shift for 12 years, I've heard every line out there.
I reply "I can't help you". No matter the request. Sometimes I have to emphasize my reply by raising my voice...

The last one was kinda unique. My wife and I were leaving a Walgreens in Florida. As we reached the car, another car pulled in front of mine. The guy effectively blocked my escape. My hand went to my pocket instantly. When the poor, mis unnerstood yoot got out of his car, my revolver came out. I held it behind my leg, while holding the top of my car door with my weak hand. He asked me for "...fitty one cents to get a registered letter out da post office..."

"I can't help you"

"It jes fitty one cents"

"Get away from me. I said I can't help you"

We stared at each other for a loonnnnng few seconds. He turned and got in his car and drove away.

There's no doubt in my mind he was debating the situation. For whatever reason, he decided to look elsewhere for 51 cents.

In the car, my wife says "That was strange. Do you have a gun in the car"? I replied "I've got my gun in my hand. Where's your pistol"?
"In my suitcase, back at the condo". "Well, thats a good place for it..."
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 2:08:12 AM EDT
[#28]
The panhandlers we have around here stand at the exit ramps with signs begging for cash. They've all pretty much been discredited as far as being legit "in need" types and are actually associated with the Twelve Tribes people.

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do to them legally other than charge them for not having a hawkers permit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There are people out there who genuinely need help. I would just like to be able to discern who is genuine & who is making a profession at bilking innocent people for money.

If I had a 6th sense for scammers, I would be so far ahead of the game that it would be laughable watching the jokers go away disgusted that I had torn apart their story so bad, they would consider another "legal" profession.

People who "genuinely need help" are rarely out wandering the streets actively asking strangers to provide it in the form of cash.

If you want to help people, as already stated, find an established charity to support. Every community has them.

I enjoy helping my fellow man who is in need.....and that's different from getting some stranger drunk / high.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 4:02:07 AM EDT
[#30]
The 20- 25 year old " disabled" bum on the corner of the Florida Turnpike and Glades Road always hops on his bike and pedals away at a brisk pace after his "shift" is over.

I'm beginning to think that despite his "disabled" sign; he might just be running a con.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 4:03:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They're lying. It's that simple. If you don't believe me, go to a place where people like to accost customers and get money from them with sob stories. Watch as they repeat the same sob story over and over again, always needing five bucks for gas or something to eat, yet never managing to go buy some gas or get something to eat. If you stick around long enough, you'll see them go to the liquor store.

ground truth, right here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 4:07:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How about when they use their kids???  

I was approached by some cunt with her two kids in a parking lot in a relatively upscale area.  She "needed gas money to get her kids home".

What tipped her hand?  The freshly purchased, icy drinks in their hands.  I told her no.

I saw her at the same store at later dates, taking money from people in the parking lot.

Use the tools you've got, I guess.  The kids were a nice touch...  A lot better and more convincing than a cardboard sign.

watch out for the "harmless woman with kids". Sometimes there's a guy sneaking up behind you; that was going on in Houston years ago. The woman had a stroller with a real baby in it, and while she was giving you the sob-story, the guy would come up and put  knife on you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No...then turn away.

If you do have the time and are concerned, go by your local Salvation Army and grab a few of their business cards. When the Panhandler approaches, hand them a card and tell them this will help them.

That is good advice to follow. I think I will do that.

Don't ever turn away, and don't ever let them get close ( like 30').
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 4:09:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I was in Walmart middle of the day about a month ago when a really fat white woman rolls up to me in one of the stores electric carts and hands me a ratty looking print out that said something like "deaf and hungry please give $5" or something similar. Something seemed off about her so I just handed it back and walked away. On the way out of the store there she is standing at the curb when a pretty nice looking truck pulls up and the driver yells out the window "how'd ya do?". She holds up and shakes her begging cup and says something like "only ten fucking dollars". Fuck I hate people.
I actually saw a guy get arrested for pulling that scam at a mall.  The "hey can I have some money" thing isn't worth the hassle of calling the cops over even though it's technically illegal, but people who have business cards for their panhandling scams are since there's plenty of evidence of fraud for the cops to find and they'll be going to jail if the cops can find them.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 4:12:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you get the chicken crates out of the back?

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 4:26:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got accosted at Bob's?  You mean right across the street from Bress' Pawn shop (attracts the sleaziest of the sleaze- but can find some deals in there if you look) and a few blocks from the bus station?  

Who knew downtown Norfolk had bums?  If we get that light rail to the oceanfront that would be a great, entirely subsidized, way to get this same issue at the Beach!!!

Should have invited him inside.  Robert loves bums!! HAHAHAHAHA!!

Stay safe neighbor.  Carry two guns around there!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 4:30:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I get hit up all the time, living in New York and all.

I found the most effective deterrent was to take a page from my Brit friends: respond with a sternly said "Piss off"

It's not as offensive as telling them to f- off, and they seem to get the point.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Pro tip:  all their stories are bullshit, other than wanting money.

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 5:08:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Had a really insistent one a few months ago. He persisted after I told him "No," and followed me to my car. He finally went away after I gripped my 640 (didn't draw it) in my pants pocket and turned to face him.

OK. That is getting down to the wire. Probably made for an intense situation.

Every criminal/bum knows where a gun is on a person. Being one step ahead and reaching for it will no shit get their attention. You don't even need to draw to halt a situation a lot of the time.

From the "gripped my 640 in my pants pocket" description, getting shot could have been the best possibility that went through the panhandler's mind for what was about to go down.

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

white girl in a bikini came up to me after dark at a gas station...

Her: can i ask you a question?
Me: no.
Her: so you dont want to talk?
Me: No

White male was making his way across the parking lot behind me. I hoped in the truck and left. She would have made a great BOTD thread, but those situations only happen in pornos. There were no cameras
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's a mugger, yes. It's a fairly common trick. One person distracts you and puts you off guard, then the other one arrives with some sort of weapon and announces the robbery. Most moochers are pretty tame, but always check the area when one of them approaches you. If he has "friends," you need to be out of there and ready to defend yourself.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 5:46:36 AM EDT
[#42]
alot of panhandlers are simply criminals that ask before they attack you.
stay away from them, if they approch you be ready for anything.
i'v been attacked while IN UNIFORM by panhandlers.  two BIG guys, one tried to stab me with a large knife....put him through
a plate glass window and took them both into custody. searched their bags and found empty bottles of vodka, pill
bottles with scripts for not them, and cocaine... along the the cardboard signs that read " homeless, please help, God bless"
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#43]
My town is covered in bums. It is hard to go anywhere without someone asking you for money. I had a drunk bum INSIDE Home Depot ask me for money recently. Do not play the game with them about their story. They are lying. You don't have to go crazy on them but don't be nice because that is blood in the water. The fact you would even consider their story to be true marks you as a total sucker to them. Give them a firm "No" and if they persist then ratchet it up.

It usually isn't hard to tell a dirty, smelly, crazy street guy from someone who isn't. If a younger, cleaner, better dressed, not crazy guy is bumming from you that is the guy who may decide to take something from you. Never let more than one bum get near you. That is when one of them is about to grab you. You do not want to get their blood on you.

Most of the bums around here are broken down drunks who you could knock over with a feather. I see a lot of organized teams of bums and even people letting a bunch of kids out onto a parking lot to fan out and bum. Beware of anyone on the street who won't accept "No" for an answer. That is a bad sign.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They're lying. It's that simple. If you don't believe me, go to a place where people like to accost customers and get money from them with sob stories. Watch as they repeat the same sob story over and over again, always needing five bucks for gas or something to eat, yet never managing to go buy some gas or get something to eat. If you stick around long enough, you'll see them go to the liquor store.

Sadly this... If you want an eye-opener, sometime, if you see one of the usual "Homeless" type bums trying to panhandle, go into a store and buy a sandwich and a cup of coffee, and try to give it to him...less than 25% of the time you'll be thanked.  more likely he'll just curse you out.  Our "Regulars knew i'd stake them food or a coffee, but i'd NEVER give them any money.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sternly tell them NO...

This. Cut 'em off before they start their spiel.

This.
When approached I don't give them the chance to talk.
I nicely tell them: not going to happen buddy, you need to walk away!!!
Usually I don't have to say much more.

Never turn your back to them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#46]
I always look at their shoes. If they have nice functional shoes, no money.

Being from NY, you learn not to talk/make eye contact with bums so there is no chance to even hear a story.

I had a black guy in a suit (dressed nicer than me) with a 'Homeless Vietnam Veteran' sign hit me up for money. I just laughed in his 20 year old face.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 7:03:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I always seem to get accosted by these bums at gas stations.  In fact, the last 3 times I was filling up I was hit up by someone with a sob story.  The silliest one was some nice looking young woman giving me a sob story about needing money to get her kid some food, while talking to someone on a cell phone.  She wa the passenger in a lifted truck with a nice looking set of rims.  I just laughed at her.  The guy in the BMW in front of me wasn't as hardcore.  I saw him hand over 10 bucks to her.  She didn't even get out of the truck to get it.  He took it over to her.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#48]
I am a big scary man..when people have approached me in the past ....I always tried to be polite but firm...the "beggar" always assumed my politeness to be weakness....now it is just quicker if I snarl a "NO" at them
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I once witnessed a panhandler harassing some guy for money at a shopping center... instead of telling him to fuck off the guy came back with "I'll help you find a job"

The guy even offered to drive him around to help him find some work, of course the panhandler just kind of waffled around the question.  Guess he didn't need the money that bad.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top