Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If they use the "I'm hungry" line - I usually offer to buy them a sandwich or something of the like.  Most of the time - they turn it down and want money instead.  Strange, I thought food was the cure for hunger.  

I wouldn`t mind buying them food.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are people out there who genuinely need help. I would just like to be able to discern who is genuine & who is making a profession at bilking innocent people for money.

If I had a 6th sense for scammers, I would be so far ahead of the game that it would be laughable watching the jokers go away disgusted that I had torn apart their story so bad, they would consider another "legal" profession.

you're a patsy if you think you're detecting anything than a better bullshit line

Just trying to be street smart.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Blade mothertrucker, Blade!
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When some stranger asks you for money in a parking lot, the answer is "NO."

The "NO" is spoken firmly.

That is the end of the fucking discussion.

See how that works?

Also, beware of "the interview" from a possible mugger, and keep your threat scan on high.

My situational awareness went from casual to high alert after the encounters.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was in Walmart middle of the day about a month ago when a really fat white woman rolls up to me in one of the stores electric carts and hands me a ratty looking print out that said something like "deaf and hungry please give $5" or something similar. Something seemed off about her so I just handed it back and walked away. On the way out of the store there she is standing at the curb when a pretty nice looking truck pulls up and the driver yells out the window "how'd ya do?". She holds up and shakes her begging cup and says something like "only ten fucking dollars". Fuck I hate people.

Scammers............. I dislike `em.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Just this evening I went shopping and at the first store was a young (hard to tell these days but likely between 16-19) and very attractive girl asking for money outside.  I didn't hear her schtick but I heard something about "could you please give me..."

An hour later I get to store 2 and there is the same young girl doing the same thing.  This time I hung around to observe for a few seconds and she was only stopping young guys only and asking for money to "get home".

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't allow them to engage you in conversation or corner you and just keep walking.

Had a wide open field of view and an escape plan in the works. I see you are thinking ahead. Good for you!
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sternly tell them NO...

This. Cut 'em off before they start their spiel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Piss on their leg and then say NO.

Problem Solved.  Problem Staying Solved.
-SleeperShooter

"Rangers lead the way!"
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Point. Sternly tell them NO, say you don't want any trouble and tell them to stay the fuck away from you.

Problem solved.

Preferably from 30ft or more.

You can always tell their target stare, engage them before they engage you.

They will get pissed and call you rude.  I reply "Yes, I'm a rude motherfucker, now leave me alone."

ALWAYS call the police and report them.  You might save someone from getting mugged.

I was with a buddy today. He had already pulled off his cell phone and was reaching for the "equalizer" in his back pocket when person of said interest showed up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
No...then turn away.

If you do have the time and are concerned, go by your local Salvation Army and grab a few of their business cards. When the Panhandler approaches, hand them a card and tell them this will help them.

Bad idea.  Maintain eye contact until THEY turn away.  Retreat back to the store and call police if they do not back off.

I was watching him at all times. He was about 3 times my size. I was plotting what he was doing and thinking about what may happen next.
Good post.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are people out there who genuinely need help. I would just like to be able to discern who is genuine & who is making a profession at bilking innocent people for money.

If I had a 6th sense for scammers, I would be so far ahead of the game that it would be laughable watching the jokers go away disgusted that I had torn apart their story so bad, they would consider another "legal" profession.

Anyone soliciting you for money or handouts is a scammer and is lying to you.

Easy enough?  I thought so

Want to help?  Donate or volunteer with reputable organizations.

Are you absolutely sure of this?
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Words of wisdom to follow when approached by a panhandler in a parking lot, grocery store or gas station.
How can you discern if they are panhandling or not? Questions to ask? Most seem to have a legitimate story. How to get down to the nitty gritty and find out if they are lying or not?

How can you take their story apart and eliminate their BS?

You have to ask a Cop?  

They say there are no stupid questions, but eh..

I'm sorry, but its pretty sad that you have no judgement or experience from which to draw from.

It's like asking a Lawyer how to change a tire.

fwiw, I've been accosted many times, and all you have to say is "NO".

If you want to, you could always add "Got no cash" or "You Ain't good"  "get a job"  just for kicks, but the simple "NO" is best.    

The average suburbanite is raised to be polite and non threatening, but this actually works to your disadvantage.

Give 'em your best Wolf stare, Blade 45, throw back your jacket, reach back for your CCW and firmly state "NO"    

I will bet the cop on the street has a lot of experience in street scams. That is why I am asking. I am suspicious of most anyone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone soliciting you for money or handouts is a scammer and is lying to you.

Easy enough?  I thought so

Want to help?  Donate or volunteer with reputable organizations.

Are you absolutely sure of this?

Yes.

But you should give them money just in case.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Who talks to strangers on the street?  Victims.  Learn to do the 270º scan walk by.  Don't stop moving, expect an accomplice.  Stay conscious of what their hands are doing.  Move away.

Will file that one away for a bad day. Thank you for the info!
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't stop, don't break stride. Just keep walking. Say, "Sorry, no cash on me." And keep going. If you stop or hesitate you are going to get the story and put yourself in danger (if there is the potential for any). If they go through the trouble for the story they are going to expect something and will be pissed if they don't get it.

I've found faking Tourettes to be quite effective. It's worked well for blind dates that weren't going well too. Didn't work as intended with the traffic stop though. Tasers fucking hurt.
Breaking their OODA loop. Something like that will work.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had a really insistent one a few months ago. He persisted after I told him "No," and followed me to my car. He finally went away after I gripped my 640 (didn't draw it) in my pants pocket and turned to face him.

OK. That is getting down to the wire. Probably made for an intense situation.

Every criminal/bum knows where a gun is on a person. Being one step ahead and reaching for it will no shit get their attention. You don't even need to draw to halt a situation a lot of the time.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of the people I have met looking for money or handouts have been decently dressed and are VERY personable, likable individuals. This is what I have found anyway. None were your average bums with alcohol on their breath or slurred speech while they were talking to you.

You've had twenty people respond to your question, with nary a one offering advice as to how to interrogate panhandlers in order to figure out if they're scamming you. Rather, the idea that doing so isn't a good idea seems to be pretty universal.
Interesting.

If in casual conversation while they are trying to fleece you, you can gain a bit of insight of what they are truly up to can gain you the upper hand, heck yes I will pick their mind. Gives me the home field advantage...so to speak.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
All of the people I have met looking for money or handouts have been decently dressed and are VERY personable, likable individuals. This is what I have found anyway. None were your average bums with alcohol on their breath or slurred speech while they were talking to you.

The in thing these days is to have a "Story" and be well dressed and presentable.  They usually ask for a specific large amount.   Black guy in a suit: "I lost my wallet, may I please have $35.00 for a hotel room"      

Suburban housewife: "Can I have $13.50 to buy some fried chicken?"  

Older lady dressed like a Flight Attendant and dragging a suitcase  "Hi, I wonder if you can spare $38.00 for a hotel"  

Two young women, one cute, one ugly  "Hi, we ran out of gas, can we have $20.00"

I spend a lot of time at hotels and restaurants, and that is where they usually lurk.

No need to ask any questions.  If their lips are moving, they are lying.  

There must be a Hobo website where they learn the scams and the spiels.    

Anyone know what it is?

Good examples listed. Thank you for those!
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't stop, don't break stride. Just keep walking. Say, "Sorry, no cash on me." And keep going. If you stop or hesitate you are going to get the story and put yourself in danger (if there is the potential for any). If they go through the trouble for the story they are going to expect something and will be pissed if they don't get it.

I've found faking Tourettes to be quite effective. It's worked well for blind dates that weren't going well too. Didn't work as intended with the traffic stop though. Tasers fucking hurt.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of the people I have met looking for money or handouts have been decently dressed and are VERY personable, likable individuals. This is what I have found anyway. None were your average bums / long greasy hair and with alcohol on their breath or slurred speech while they were talking to you. Also they were clean shaven and apologetic that they even had to ask for money.  These guys were smooth. Had the gift of gab.

"No"

"No, sir/ma'am"

"No, sorry"

"Sorry, I can't help you"

There are a few responses you can pick from.  You don't have to be rude to them, but you do need to be firm.  A lot of these folks prey on weenies.

These people will adapt to any area or demographic they're working.  This may mean nicer clothing, but they are still scammers.  Tell them no.

Will keep that bit of advice in mind! Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Good Read

This is worth the couple minutes that it takes to read.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they use the "I'm hungry" line - I usually offer to buy them a sandwich or something of the like.  Most of the time - they turn it down and want money instead.  Strange, I thought food was the cure for hunger.  

Last year there was a guy out front of the grocery store asking for money because he was hungry. I went in bought the food I needed for the shift I was working and bought a few extra sandwiches. I walked outside and the guy was still there. I asked him if he was truely hungry or just looking to get some free money. He told me that he was hungry and wanted to eat. I pulled out my sandwiches and asked him if he wanted chicken salad or roast beef. All he said was naw man im good! Fuck em!

Scammer material. We all hate `em.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but they won't approach you in the parking lot asking for money.  If someone is in need of help they'll be a million other places other than trying to lay the bullshit thick on some random stranger in a parking lot.

After sitting here thinking about that comment, what you have said makes good sense. I haven`t really thought about it before.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Ha, I fucking knew it!   Panhandling websites.   "Ninjas Killed My Parents, Need Money for Karate Lessons"  Was funny when it was unique, now they are everywhere.  In just the last couple months, I've seen the same signs in Hollywood CA, Miami, Denver and Las Vegas.  
http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_3_panhandling.html

Steven Malanga

The Professional Panhandling Plague

A new generation of shakedown artists hampers America’s urban revival.

Mario Tama/Getty Images

Charlie’s blunt approach to begging is in vogue across the country—and it actually works.

Carter prepared for his stint on the street by surfing the Internet,
where a variety of websites dispense panhandling advice. NeedCom, for
example—subtitled "Market Research for Panhandlers”
—offers tips from
Baker and other pros on how to hustle. The website’s developer, Cathy
Davies, wants it to get people "thinking about panhandling as a
realistic economic activity, rather than thinking that panhandlers are
lazy or don’t work very hard.”

The rise of online panhandling advice helps explain why panhandlers
and "sign flyers”—beggars who use signs to solicit donations—exhibit
remarkably similar methods around the country. Currently, the direct,
humorous approach is in vogue. That’s why in many cities today you’ll
hear some version of: "I won’t lie to you, I need a drink.” Panhandlers
also report that asking for specific amounts of money lends credibility
to pitches. "I need 43 more cents to get a cup of coffee,” a panhandler
will declare; some people will give exactly that much, while others will
simply hand over a buck.

If it seems unlikely that a homeless person would surf the Web for
advice on how to panhandle, that’s exactly the point: many aren’t
homeless and are lying about their circumstances. A reporter for KUTV in
Salt Lake City followed and filmed panhandlers for several months,
documenting their scams. One twentysomething woman wielded a sign
informing people that she was homeless and needed a bus ticket back to
Seattle. The reporter followed her one day, however, and discovered that
she lived in a nearby suburb. Confronted by the reporter, the woman
explained away her deception: "I don’t say anything to anybody. I hold
this sign. I don’t make anybody give me money.” Her story isn’t unique:
homeless advocate Pamela Atkinson told KUTV that some 70 percent of
panhandlers in Salt Lake City aren’t describing their situations
accurately.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#28]
double tap.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're a patsy if you think you're detecting anything than a better bullshit line

Exactly. I tell them sternly, "No," and walk away (while keeping my eye on them). If they presist, I tell them to GTFO. Anything past that, and it's step 1 of the draw.

ETA: Like others have said, if they're genuinely needy, there's plenty of places they can go to other than the gas station parking lot. Furthermore, trying to "gain insight into their scam" will only lead to you getting robbed/beaten, since your mind will be focused on overthinking and not on threat perception.

A highway patrol friend of mine bearly got robbed recently in one of these same situations. He's a big, strong, mean SOB, but the suspect did not cease his attack until he got a .44 magnum shoved into his gut.

Do you really wanna risk your life just to "gain some insight"? Fuck that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How about when they use their kids???  

I was approached by some cunt with her two kids in a parking lot in a relatively upscale area.  She "needed gas money to get her kids home".

What tipped her hand?  The freshly purchased, icy drinks in their hands.  I told her no.

I saw her at the same store at later dates, taking money from people in the parking lot.

Use the tools you've got, I guess.  The kids were a nice touch...  A lot better and more convincing than a cardboard sign.

It`s the family thing that gets me. You want to try to help out folks who want to try to provide for their family. The kid thing is icing on the "stage show". I told my friend the same thing today. Good stage show. I was convinced. He was too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Point.  Sternly tell them NO, say you don't want any trouble and tell them to stay the fuck away from you.

Problem solved.

Anyone who wants an advanced course in dealing with grifters,  scammers, panhandlers , and other street scum needs a long weekend in New Orleans.

I can spot those fuckers coming at me 30 feet away in a crowd.

My wife and I were just married and walking near the cafe du monde and I spotted a woman targeting us and in a full crowd I shouted stay the fuck away.

She said" Busted "and turned away.  My wife just about lost it till I explained.

I have honed my skills at deflecting them here in Houston but have also practiced in Seattle, San Antonio, DC and various other city's across this country.

When they come at you alone and after dark in a parking lot you must act fast.

Their story is not important to me.  I am not going to give them anything and I do not want them to get inside on me.  I kick myself if I do not recognize them and turn then before they get inside 20 feet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Its really very simple, they are lying, they are ALWAYS lying!

They want money to buy alcohol or drugs, simple as that.  OOPS!  Let me amend that statement, they want money to buy alcohol or drugs, or paint (or something else) to huff, you can usually tell the paint huffers will almost always have paint on their hands or face, quite often on their shirt also.  The guys who huff starting fluid or something else are harder to spot, except the guy huffing gasoline, he won't usually ask for money, he will just go ahead and try to rob you if hes not too stoned to stand up.  Most violent person I ever ran into as a LEO was huffing gas.

Quoted:
Words of wisdom to follow when approached by a panhandler in a parking lot, grocery store or gas station.
How can you discern if they are panhandling or not? Questions to ask? Most seem to have a legitimate story. How to get down to the nitty gritty and find out if they are lying or not?

How can you take their story apart and eliminate their BS?

Thank you for that tidbit of info. I appreciate you sharing what your street experience has been. That is what I am looking for. You have been there. Done that. I need more of that. As do we all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I see them coming (and I pretty much always do), I assume a standard interview stance, and at some point in their approach, stop them with a "that's close enough," followed immediately by "what do you want?"

Whatever they ask for, my answer is "sorry, bud.  Can't help you."

It gets progressively more unfriendly from there if they push the issue.  

Do you know how to tell if they are legit or not or do you just make it a rule to answer like that to ALL who approach you?

This isn`t a bash statement. No insult intended. Just wanting to know how you handle all of these encounters.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I was pulling into the gun shop parking lot and I saw one who zeroed in on me. So I park and he walks up to my door and before he even says anything a shake my head "no" but he keeps standing there a foot from my door. I put my hand in my gun bag (they have a pistol range on the top floor) and tell him "Go on now" and he keeps standing there. I got ready to pull it out and set it on my lap so he sees im not playing but before I do he walked away and down the street. I waited until he was gone and went on my way, but it takes balls to beg for money in a gun shop parking lot and then not go away when told to.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Had a really insistent one a few months ago. He persisted after I told him "No," and followed me to my car. He finally went away after I gripped my 640 (didn't draw it) in my pants pocket and turned to face him.

OK. That is getting down to the wire. Probably made for an intense situation.

Every criminal/bum knows where a gun is on a person. Being one step ahead and reaching for it will no shit get their attention. You don't even need to draw to halt a situation a lot of the time.

That is another one I will file away for a bad day. Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ha, I fucking new it:

http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_3_panhandling.html

Steven Malanga
The Professional Panhandling Plague
A new generation of shakedown artists hampers America’s urban revival.
http://www.city-journal.org/assets/images/18_3-sm.jpg
Mario Tama/Getty Images
Charlie’s blunt approach to begging is in vogue across the country—and it actually works.

Carter prepared for his stint on the street by surfing the Internet, where a variety of websites dispense panhandling advice. NeedCom, for example—subtitled "Market Research for Panhandlers”—offers tips from Baker and other pros on how to hustle. The website’s developer, Cathy Davies, wants it to get people "thinking about panhandling as a realistic economic activity, rather than thinking that panhandlers are lazy or don’t work very hard.”

The rise of online panhandling advice helps explain why panhandlers and "sign flyers”—beggars who use signs to solicit donations—exhibit remarkably similar methods around the country. Currently, the direct, humorous approach is in vogue. That’s why in many cities today you’ll hear some version of: "I won’t lie to you, I need a drink.” Panhandlers also report that asking for specific amounts of money lends credibility to pitches. "I need 43 more cents to get a cup of coffee,” a panhandler will declare; some people will give exactly that much, while others will simply hand over a buck.

If it seems unlikely that a homeless person would surf the Web for advice on how to panhandle, that’s exactly the point: many aren’t homeless and are lying about their circumstances. A reporter for KUTV in Salt Lake City followed and filmed panhandlers for several months, documenting their scams. One twentysomething woman wielded a sign informing people that she was homeless and needed a bus ticket back to Seattle. The reporter followed her one day, however, and discovered that she lived in a nearby suburb. Confronted by the reporter, the woman explained away her deception: "I don’t say anything to anybody. I hold this sign. I don’t make anybody give me money.” Her story isn’t unique: homeless advocate Pamela Atkinson told KUTV that some 70 percent of panhandlers in Salt Lake City aren’t describing their situations accurately.

It`s gettin` good now!
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. I tell them sternly, "No," and walk away (while keeping my eye on them). If they presist, I tell them to GTFO. Anything past that, and it's step 1 of the draw.

ETA: Like others have said, if they're genuinely needy, there's plenty of places they can go to other than the gas station parking lot. Furthermore, trying to "gain insight into their scam" will only lead to you getting robbed/beaten, since your mind will be focused on overthinking and not on threat perception.

A highway patrol friend of mine bearly got robbed recently in one of these same situations. He's a big, strong, mean SOB, but the suspect did not cease his attack until he got a .44 magnum shoved into his gut.

Do you really wanna risk your life just to "gain some insight"? Fuck that.

Work smart. Not harder.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Almost all of them are lying. If I feel like playing games, I offer them a can of crappy chili. I figure if they are actually starving they will take it. I only had that happen once.

The really funny one was a guy saying he needed gas money to get back to his home state of Utah. I was in Phoenix Arizona and he was wearing an Arizona Diamondback's ball cap.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Point.  Sternly tell them NO, say you don't want any trouble and tell them to stay the fuck away from you.

Problem solved.

Anyone who wants an advanced course in dealing with grifters,  scammers, panhandlers , and other street scum needs a long weekend in New Orleans.

I can spot those fuckers coming at me 30 feet away in a crowd.

My wife and I were just married and walking near the cafe du monde and I spotted a woman targeting us and in a full crowd I shouted stay the fuck away.

She said" Busted "and turned away.  My wife just about lost it till I explained.

I have honed my skills at deflecting them here in Houston but have also practiced in Seattle, San Antonio, DC and various other city's across this country.

When they come at you alone and after dark in a parking lot you must act fast.

Their story is not important to me.  I am not going to give them anything and I do not want them to get inside on me.  I kick myself if I do not recognize them and turn then before they get inside 20 feet.

You have an insight. It is a gift I think.... or experience.......not sure which. Either way, It is valuable what you know.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was pulling into the gun shop parking lot and I saw one who zeroed in on me. So I park and he walks up to my door and before he even says anything a shake my head "no" but he keeps standing there a foot from my door. I put my hand in my gun bag (they have a pistol range on the top floor) and tell him "Go on now" and he keeps standing there. I got ready to pull it out and set it on my lap so he sees im not playing but before I do he walked away and down the street. I waited until he was gone and went on my way, but it takes balls to beg for money in a gun shop parking lot and then not go away when told to.

The guy may have not even realized where he was but in any case, being in a gunshop parking lot is a bad idea when someone tells you to go away!
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#42]
The answer to any stranger is "No".  Jeez, this crap happened again today.  Going into TJ's and this homeless wastrel on on bike says, "Hey buddy, can I ask you a favor?"  "Nope"  Out of my peripheral I can see him reaching for my shoulder and there is this part of me that gets so pissed off about being hit up in the parking lot and an extended hand is just so much potential fun...  But discretion and all that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I cut them off before they even start their story and tell them "No, not interested". Never had one push it further than that other than one guy who yelled "Fuck you cracker" and started approaching aggressively but a quick look at the handle of a G19 when I pulled my jacket back changed his mind and turned him around.

They're all cons. Decent people don't hang around gas stations begging people for money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Almost all of them are lying. If I feel like playing games, I offer them a can of crappy chili. I figure if they are actually starving they will take it. I only had that happen once.

The really funny one was a guy saying he needed gas money to get back to his home state of Utah. I was in Phoenix Arizona and he was wearing an Arizona Diamondback's ball cap.

OK. After thinking about todays experience, I called a friend of mine who was with me today during the "event" and said to him...."ya know...I should have gotten him to show me his drivers license since he said he was from out of town. That would have confirmed if he was telling me the truth or not."

There were 2 of us. One armed. He would have dropped him like a bad habit if the guy would have gone "weird".

If it would have been just me, I would have given the guy some distance before questioning him to that extent.
Heck. I even asked the guy if he had someone to wire him some money to help get him home. Something came online at that point. I don`t even know where that question came from. Strange what your mind will come up with at times.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#45]
The last time a "hungry" one asked me for help, I offered to buy groceries.  He said, yes, he needed them.  I went in, got about $15 worth of stuff (amazing how cheap food is... chicken, corn, apples, bread), and handed it to him.  He said "Gold Bless You" and "Thank You" many times, and left.  I think he was probably 1/2 legit.

Another time, I was asked for gas money, I said "Sure, I'll buy you gas, where is your car".  Funny, all of a sudden, no car.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was in Walmart middle of the day about a month ago when a really fat white woman rolls up to me in one of the stores electric carts and hands me a ratty looking print out that said something like "deaf and hungry please give $5" or something similar. Something seemed off about her so I just handed it back and walked away. On the way out of the store there she is standing at the curb when a pretty nice looking truck pulls up and the driver yells out the window "how'd ya do?". She holds up and shakes her begging cup and says something like "only ten fucking dollars". Fuck I hate people.

Had the same guy approach me three times in a month at the same service station with the same "I need money to get my tire fixed" story.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I see them coming (and I pretty much always do), I assume a standard interview stance, and at some point in their approach, stop them with a "that's close enough," followed immediately by "what do you want?"

Whatever they ask for, my answer is "sorry, bud.  Can't help you."

It gets progressively more unfriendly from there if they push the issue.  

Do you know how to tell if they are legit or not or do you just make it a rule to answer like that to ALL who approach you?

This isn`t a bash statement. No insult intended. Just wanting to know how you handle all of these encounters.

The latter.  I've dealt with these types my entire career, and virtually all of them are running a scam.  I don't give them Jack.

If I'm with my family, I'll put up with even less song-and-dance.   A panhandler has to know better than to roll up on a man with his wife/kids.  Believe it or not, just the "interview stance" makes a lot of them pause, because they think you're either squaring-off to fight them, or you're a cop.  In neither case do they want to contact you, so sometimes they'll keep walking once they see you "blade at 45."

Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
All of the people I have met looking for money or handouts have been decently dressed and are VERY personable, likable individuals. This is what I have found anyway. None were your average bums / long greasy hair and with alcohol on their breath or slurred speech while they were talking to you. Also they were clean shaven and apologetic that they even had to ask for money.  These guys were smooth. Had the gift of gab.

The good ones can make a few hundred bucks a day tax free.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why waste time trying to uncover their bullshit?  I would say 99.98% is bull, granted I am jaded.....

We all get like that over time. I don`t want to be.

Then get used to being taken advantage of. Can you lend me fifty bucks until payday?
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#50]
The Arfcom of Hobos:   http://www.homelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=4300

I haven't found the Arfcom of Begging yet, but I feel like I'm closing in on it.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top