BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Daewoo! (Maybe a ar18/180, but i like to think it was a daewoo).

http://survivalandprosperity.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/LA-Koreatown-Defender.jpg

http://survivaldisasterplan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/koreans-300x225.jpg

http://www.kang.org/sajin/riotyouth.jpg

Why were they on rooftops? (Graphic)

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/uCMRwZIJUQk/0.jpg

url=http://www.kang.org/images/wEdSungLee.jpg]http://www.kang.org/images/wEdSungLee.jpg[/url]

That first pic..looks like a 1980's Arfcommer during his first SHTF.

http://survivalandprosperity.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/LA-Koreatown-Defender.jpg

That's a Daewoo K1A1 (civilian model) with retractable stock. Unlike the Daewoo K2 that uses long-stroke piston system, the K1A1 uses direct gas impingement system like the M16. Clinton stopped importation of all Daewoo rifles in mid 90s. The K1A1 is one sweet carbine. If that guy came to the US at adulthood, he probably carried the Daewoo back in South Korea during his military service.
[
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is this why there are so many asians interested in tactical gear/training nowadays?

Yes, part of it. Asians came from countries mostly ruled by oppressive governments. There are also horizontal conflicts across ethnic lines which could be very brutal at times.

I am Asian. When SHTF and some disenfranchised group of people feel they need to find a group to blame for their shortcomings .... Asian is likely the group they will pick. We are minority with very little voice in anything. We just keep our heads down and work hard to better our lives and the future of our children. And some people who do not share these values hate us for it. What happened during the LA riots was an example (and the Koreans had nothing to do with the beating of Rodney King).
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this why there are so many asians interested in tactical gear/training nowadays?

Yes, part of it. Asians came from countries mostly ruled by oppressive governments. There are also horizontal conflicts across ethnic lines which could be very brutal at times.

I am Asian. When SHTF and some disenfranchised group of people feel they need to find a group to blame for their shortcomings .... Asian is likely the group they will pick. We are minority with very little voice in anything. We just keep our heads down and work hard to better our lives and the future of our children. And some people who do not share these values hate us for it. What happened during the LA riots was an example (and the Koreans had nothing to do with the beating of Rodney King).

And for the OP: buy cheap, stack deep! Or reload in bulk.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Please Note:  Headbands increase accuracy.  And tier 2 ninja status.

Team identifier.

Aids visibility, enhances cohesion and morale.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

....and I'm sure those Koreans doesn't have more than 100 rounds of ammo.

What makes you say that?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

probably ignorance

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I keep thousands of rounds in stock, because I don't want to run out before guys who think 100 rounds is enough.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to have lots of ammo.  Unfortunately, it was too much for the ferry and it sank when trying to cross the river so I could take it home.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
At the time of the riots, I worked in LA and lived nearby.  Two things that should be remembered:

1) Gunstores were first on the looters list.

2) LA County banned gun and ammunition sales at the start of riots.  Nearby stores,  outside of LA County, sold out immediately.

So, you should not count on being able to buy any ammo after trouble starts.

I do not know how much ammo the Koreans had.

Yes... I've read that folks had to drive to other counties just to buy ammo & guns.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#9]
If you don't already have it, don't count on being able to get any during a crisis.

"It" being damned near everything from ammo to toilet paper.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seeing how most of us here have thousands of rounds for shtf scenario makes me wonder is it really necessary.  The money could be better use elsewhere doesn't it.  The LA riot was huge and I'm sure those Koreans doesn't have more than 100 rounds of ammo.

I bet they have many, many more rounds now.  

I bet you are right!

For  me, at my age, I think about "If I could never buy another round, am I OK?  Are my sons?".
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#11]
this thread has inspired me.

I'm going to my favorite Korean restaurant in a few
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, those are Red Chinese sleeper cells taking training here ready for the invasion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 8:45:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard working folks ready to protect what they built.  

They didn't build that!

Still funny every time!
Yeah!

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am Asian Jewish. When SHTF and some disenfranchised group of people feel they need to find a group to blame for their shortcomings .... Asian Jewish is likely the group they will pick. We are minority with very little voice in anything. We just keep our heads down and work hard to better our lives and the future of our children. And some people who do not share these values hate us for it. What happened during Kristallnacht was an example (and the Koreans Jews had nothing to do with the beating of Rodney King Depression).

Sounds familiar, and all too true.
Around here, believe it or not, the Amish come in for a lot of that hate.
But they won't fight back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Food for thought:

http://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/bracken-when-the-music-stops-how-americas-cities-may-explode-in-violence/

In response to recent articles in mainstream military journals discussing the use of the U.S. Army to quell insurrections on American soil, I offer an alternate vision of the future. Instead of a small town in the South as the flash point, picture instead a score of U.S. cities in the thrall of riots greater than those experienced in Los Angeles in 1965 (Watts), multiple cities in 1968 (MLK assassination), and Los Angeles again in 1992 (Rodney King). New Yorkers can imagine the 1977 blackout looting or the 1991 Crown Heights disturbance. In fact, the proximate spark of the next round of major riots in America could be any from a long list cribbed from our history.

We have seen them all before, and we shall see them all again as history rhymes along regardless of the century or the generation of humankind nominally in control of events. But the next time we are visited by widespread, large-scale urban riots, a dangerous new escalation may be triggered by a new vulnerability: It’s estimated that the average American home has less than two weeks of food on hand. In poor minority areas, it may be much less. What if a cascading economic crisis, even a temporary one, leads to millions of EBT (electronic benefit transfer) cards flashing nothing but zeroes? Or if the government’s refusal to reimburse them causes supermarket chains to stop accepting them for payment? The government can order the supermarkets to honor the cards, but history’s verdict is clear: If suppliers are paid only with worthless scrip or blinking digits, the food will stop.  

Go to a Walmart Supercenter on the afternoon (they tend to sleep in) on the day after they restock the food cards.  Then reread this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#16]
If all I have in my house is 100 rounds of ammo, that means I've given up being a gun owner.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#17]
In! for inaccurate generalizations.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Food for thought:

http://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/bracken-when-the-music-stops-how-americas-cities-may-explode-in-violence/

In response to recent articles in mainstream military journals discussing the use of the U.S. Army to quell insurrections on American soil, I offer an alternate vision of the future. Instead of a small town in the South as the flash point, picture instead a score of U.S. cities in the thrall of riots greater than those experienced in Los Angeles in 1965 (Watts), multiple cities in 1968 (MLK assassination), and Los Angeles again in 1992 (Rodney King). New Yorkers can imagine the 1977 blackout looting or the 1991 Crown Heights disturbance. In fact, the proximate spark of the next round of major riots in America could be any from a long list cribbed from our history.

We have seen them all before, and we shall see them all again as history rhymes along regardless of the century or the generation of humankind nominally in control of events. But the next time we are visited by widespread, large-scale urban riots, a dangerous new escalation may be triggered by a new vulnerability: It’s estimated that the average American home has less than two weeks of food on hand. In poor minority areas, it may be much less. What if a cascading economic crisis, even a temporary one, leads to millions of EBT (electronic benefit transfer) cards flashing nothing but zeroes? Or if the government’s refusal to reimburse them causes supermarket chains to stop accepting them for payment? The government can order the supermarkets to honor the cards, but history’s verdict is clear: If suppliers are paid only with worthless scrip or blinking digits, the food will stop.  

Go to a Walmart Supercenter on the afternoon (they tend to sleep in) on the day after they restock the food cards.  Then reread this.

Yup.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seeing how most of us here have thousands of rounds for shtf scenario makes me wonder is it really necessary.  The money could be better use elsewhere doesn't it.  The LA riot was huge and I'm sure those Koreans doesn't have more than 100 rounds of ammo.

Some of those Koreans expended far more than 100 rounds-I'll try to find some videos.

For me, having a healthy ammunition stockpile has very little to do with riots, SHTF, zombies, or any of that crap.

For me it's all about being a hedge against future availability and price increases. While you could make the argument that I could have spent that money elsewhere, I'm still shooting M193 that cost me $169 per thousand rounds. Also, when availability was sucking hind tit a few years ago my friends and I were doing just fine. I take my time, watch for opportunities, and buy in bulk whenever possible. Paying confiscatory prices on ammunition sucks.

You, sir, are a wise man and state your case well.   I also enjoy shooting 7.62 x 39 ammo that I paid $79.00 per case for a few years back.   I am an old retired U.S. military officer and, no, I DO NOT hate my government and  I DO NOT anticipate a civil war, zombie attack or the like.   I simply tried to buy low and on special sale occasions.   While I DO NOT have a vast ammo fort, I do have a little that I paid very good prices for at the time I bought it.   Simple economics.  This, plus the fact that I don't go shoot all that often, means I won't run completely out ever.

Actually, I wish I had been smart enough to buy vast amounts of ammo a few years back.   I could sell it now for three to four times what I would have paid for it then.  I simply didn't have the foresight to buy vast quantities back then.  Probably some others did and they are raking in the profits now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If all I have in my house is 100 rounds of ammo, that means I've given up being a gun owner.

Movie The Postman:  "There is only 17 rounds of ammo in the whole town."

I commented out loud in the theater, "I got more than that spilled in my trunk."  

Date was not impresed.   Then again she was not impressed with the movie.   Or me later that night.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#21]
It depends on whether you're facing a SHTF scenario (in which civil order is restored in a matter of days, if not hours) or a TEOTWAWKI scenario (in which civil order is restored in months, years or maybe not even in our lifetimes).

For the first, a thousand rounds should be enough to convince mischiefmakers they need to go elsewhere, especially if your neighbors are similarly outfitted.  For the second, you can't have too much ammo (and other supplies) and you have to face the fact that even your friendly neighbors may become your foes in the struggle to survive.

Big difference between the two.  I'd say the LA riots were an example of a SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Movie The Postman:  "There is only 17 rounds of ammo in the whole town."

I commented out loud in the theater, "I got more than that spilled in my trunk."  

Date was not impresed.   Then again she was not impressed with the movie.   Or me later that night.

Haha. Extra points for some good self-deprecation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Too bad they don't make ammo fort self destruct mechanisms in case you are overrun by the opposing force.   That way you don't end up supplying ammo to the bad guys.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Korean defensive action was the bright spot of that whole sordid affair.

+1  
I believe most of us could get along well with those guys!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

++
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Would you please make one (for the pic with the bolt action) that reads (something like):

You loot my store I deer-hunt you!

(You fuck with my store I deer-hunt you?)
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#28]
In for more cool pics.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Koreans during the LA riot

When were there riots in Louisiana?  

Oh you mean L.A. not LA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Were any of them charged with some BS?
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Were any of them charged with some BS?

Probably have their legally own guns taken so that they're defenseless the next time something like that happen again.  Cause you know, guns are evil and we need to ban them.  You do not have the right to defend yourself, only the police and military can do that, oh wait where were they during the riot?
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Due to mandatory military service in South Korea, remember that almost all those guys have good training. Not ones to be fucked with.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#33]
When dealing with an unruly mob, I think them seeing a few of their compatriots go down from a high velocity rifle round would take some of the wind out of their sails.

And if you see one who looks to be the ringleader, make him your first target.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Due to mandatory military service in South Korea, remember that almost all those guys have good training. Not ones to be fucked with.

LOL, so tell us which one was you?
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

All the Koreans I know who own guns tend to have more ammo than that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Is it possible to have enough ammo?
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Too bad they don't make ammo fort self destruct mechanisms in case you are overrun by the opposing force.   That way you don't end up supplying ammo to the bad guys.

The next best thing: Build your arsenal around 6.5 Grendel or 45-110 Sharps...
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is it possible to have enough ammo?

When all your enemies have been vanquished and you still have bullets in your gun.

You have enough ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of those Koreans expended far more than 100 rounds-I'll try to find some videos.

For me, having a healthy ammunition stockpile has very little to do with riots, SHTF, zombies, or any of that crap.

For me it's all about being a hedge against future availability and price increases. While you could make the argument that I could have spent that money elsewhere, I'm still shooting M193 that cost me $169 per thousand rounds. Also, when availability was sucking hind tit a few years ago my friends and I were doing just fine. I take my time, watch for opportunities, and buy in bulk whenever possible. Paying confiscatory prices on ammunition sucks.

There were lots of crowds during that time

They just popped off rounds and they ran

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Honestly most of the gun owners I know don't keep ammunition in the house. They are more worried about an accident with a firearm than having to shoot and intruder or a SHTF situation. For a lot of people that may not be a bad idea, hard to shoot yourself or someone else if you don't have any ammo. With that said that may be more of a reason to keep a decent stash of ammo. That way you will have all that you need and enough to give a box or two to a friend or neighbor.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

grock.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#42]
As I said earlier

my brunch:

A personal favorite. Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Sig 522.  and a bunch of mags and ammo.  looters and rioters are not worth the 5.56 or 7.62.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Bi Bim Bap in a hot stone pot - Yummy!

G
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bi Bim Bap in a hot stone pot - Yummy!

G

With the crispy rice at the bottom
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sig 522.  and a bunch of mags and ammo.  looters and rioters are not worth the 5.56 or 7.62.

.22lr just doesn't have the big intimidating "boom!" of a 5.56 or 7.62 with a compensator attached.  They'll probably going to keep on trucking at you thinking it's a toy gun.

I don't know how many time i've been asked whether it's a pellet/toy gun at the range when I'm using my cmmg conversion kit or my ruger 10/22.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

.22lr just doesn't have the big intimidating "boom!" of a 5.56 or 7.62 with a compensator attached.  They'll probably going to keep on trucking at you thinking it's a toy gun.

I don't know how many time i've been asked whether it's a pellet/toy gun at the range when I'm using my cmmg conversion kit or my ruger 10/22.  

No, but when the instigators/loudmouths in the group go down with a hole in the head or an excruciatingly painful hole in their groin, most of the rest will rethink their actions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd of stood shoulder-to-shoulder with some of those kimchi eat'in muther fuckers! A large majority of those guys understand the freedom and liberty this country stands for. The one's they were defending against didn't have a clue.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Now, they would be stuck with a bunch of bullet button rifles.

Yes, because an estimated 95% of of "AWs" in the state were never registered so surely they where destroyed or shipped out of state and not sitting in their closets...Oh wait.

And its not like it would take more than a few minutes to switch mag releases and assemble your "parts kit" magazines if the SHTF was coming your way...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top