Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/6/2012 7:11:25 AM EDT
We did a damn fine job of wiping them out, and now there are only a handful of extant populations. Fortunately most of those are healthy.

Do you think that vast Bison herds will ever roam North America ever again, and become an animal that is commonly seen throughout thier former range?

I don't think the Government would really allow populations to get that big ever again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Not with this many people.

Apparently there were also oysters as big as Volkswagons covering the entire floor of the crystal clear waters of the Chesapeake Bay back in those days.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#2]
OP have you seen all of the open land out west?
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#4]
They will never be as widespread as they used to be. It's just too dangerous now to have that many roaming around wild. They're territorial and will attack people without a lot of provocation. Plus they won't stay off of roadways. If you think the deer population is getting bad, imaging hitting something 5 times that size with a vehicle.

The government, conservation organizations, etc would never let the wild bison population grow back to any significant level. People would be getting injured and killed all the time and they would be considered a nuisance by most people.

I was in Montana and Yellowstone a couple years ago. It was awesome to see them in the wild, and we came upon several herds just standing in the middle of the road. They're pretty neat creatures, but it would be a disaster if they were heavily populated across the country.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Sort of, in the Ted Turner sense (privately owned herds).

Want them to make a huge comeback? Start eating them. The more demand there is for Bison, the more ranchers will rise to the challenge.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Well they would have to have gone away to come back first

But on a serious note, no. Bison are alive as a species today because of private farmers. And while their numbers may grow, for the most part they will be growing behind fences.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Let's bring back Indians, too.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Q: What is the difference between a buffalo and a bison?

A: You can't wash your face in a buffalo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Not as things stand right now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I doubt it.

Longer-term big picture of course it's possible we get a deep human population crash but it would probably take cattle with it.

I used to have a guy who raised them for meat down the street, one of the things I miss about WA.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#13]
What type?

The bison that carry many cow genes or a "true" wild bison?

A truly wild population would be a difficult thing to manage, and management would still be essential.  For instance, a brucellosis outbreak or the wild bison preferring to live in downtown Cheyenne and feasting on lawyers.

Well, maybe if they eat all the lawyers...

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Up in WY, they are as common as the Whitetails are in Jersey.  

But no, there are never going to be vast herds of Millions that you can shoot from a train window.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is no reason to propagate them beyond their current numbers.

Well thats mostly my question. There ARE wild herds, do you think that they could get to the point where single herds with tens of thousands or 100 thousand + individuals were just roamin around.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well thats mostly my question. There ARE wild herds, do you think that they could get to the point where single herds with tens of thousands or 100 thousand + individuals were just roamin around.

Sure––but keep them in NJ.  We don't have room in the rest of the country.

There are a lot of lawyers in Illinois.

Just sayin.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Want them to make a huge comeback? Start eating them. The more demand there is for Bison, the more ranchers will rise to the challenge.

I'm doing my part.

Bison is delicious, probably moreso than beef IMO.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  there is too much private property for that to happen.

We had a neighbor, at one time, that dabbled in buffalo ranching.  He bought a couple of tons of Beefalo from us because one of his bulls came over onto our property and started breeding our cows.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I wonder if the migratory birds will ever come back in the numbers I even remember from the 1970s.

The sky would be black sometimes with the amount of ducks flying over in the fall.  The Atlantic Flyway hasn't seen anything like that since.  Now you might see five or six ducks all day if you're lucky.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

and a challenge it is  - they're some big honking cows with serious attitude problems and about as dumb as a democratic rock
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#22]
The state of Utah has had such success in their buffalo conservation program that they are splitting their herds again in southeast Utah.

I've always wanted to do a buffalo hunt. It's a once in a lifetime permit, if you can get it. There are lots of private herds throughout the state but they cost $1500 and up to "hunt" one of those. Buffalo is tastier than beef, IMHO. It's also much healthier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#23]
No, sorry
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#24]
There are only free range bison in Utah, Mexico, Alaska and Canada.

That said there was plans to release free range bison at Land Between The Lakes Kentucky.

They are currently behind a fence.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Really if you are interested in the species and wanting to learn more the best place to check out is bisoncentral.com or if you have any specific questions about the species feel free to IM me and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#26]
No.  Keep your damn bison out of my crops/pasture.  

The only place where bison could have decent size herds is out west in the large BLM/National Park areas.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#27]

I was just going to say that it was the railroad and barbed wire that killed off the bison in this country.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#28]
"Dude... so... like... the GREATER YELLOWSTONE ECO-SYSTEM allows the Bison to roam like before the Europeans. And... like... we need to extend that ecosystem from Kansas to Alberta." -Some Forest Circus administrator in Montana.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm doing my part.

I'd say it's different than beef but saying better might be a stretch
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Nobody posted it yet? Really???

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Let's not.  They're still here.  If you want some, come and get them, I'll help you load them.  Take a wolf with you when you go as well.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No.  Keep your damn bison out of my crops/pasture.  

The only place where bison could have decent size herds is out west in the large BLM/National Park areas.

I thought there was a free range bison herd on the Mexico/Texas border?

Nevermind:

Mexico/New Mexico border

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/mexico/explore/bison-homecoming.xml
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#33]
no

too much land required per animal just for forage.

Too much competition with rangeland cattle & sheep & entertainment operations.

No "wild" herds in most states = no protection of the herds in existence, since they are owned animals.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Buffalo is tastier than beef, IMHO. It's also much healthier.

I love it, but I'd say it's "different" on both counts. Taste is subjective, and while the macronutrient composition is different, I wouldn't say it's healthier. Just different.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm doing my part.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm doing my part.

You may like beef better, and that's cool.

I like buffalo more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Really if you are interested in the species and wanting to learn more the best place to check out is bisoncentral.com or if you have any specific questions about the species feel free to IM me and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

WTF?

Spamming for a Bison website?
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Huh? He's just being friendly. I don't see anything wrong with what he wrote.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm doing my part.  

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll40/gymbrown/100_0774Medium.jpg
Oh Jesus. I love your man cave.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#40]
How are those rocky mountain oysters?

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

It just seems strange to me. A poster with a bison screenname and a bison avatar promoting a bison website in a random bison thread on a gun forum....

ETA: And a buffalo reference in his sig. He must really love bison.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well they would have to have gone away to come back first

But on a serious note, no. Bison are alive as a species today because of private farmers. And while their numbers may grow, for the most part they will be growing behind fences.

Dude, your avatar's a bison.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
There are only free range bison in Utah, Mexico, Alaska and Canada.

Umm...and Wyoming.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm doing my part.

It's better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm doing my part.

You may like beef better, and that's cool.

I like buffalo more.

I like 'em both - we got a beef rasised by a guy down the road at the locker plant being cut as we type!

I want to try a buffalo pot roast one day but yikes it's expensive biting the bullet for steaks once in a while hurts
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#46]
70k are brought to market each year from ranches, Ted Turner owns the largest herd in the US and he has care and custody of the yellowstone 87 that left yellowstone and ended up on his ranch in Mt. They are teh old line and not genetically different form those of old, He has a deal that he get a percentage of the calves to enhance his herd and keep it more original to enhance and grow the population. they have i think 10k acres for the 87. Dont tihnk well ever see a million come over the plains but am ceratin you will see this as a growing commerical source of protien. Ted Turner(libtard) has really done a lot of heavy lifting on this matter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Around here they raise them like cattle.

What the hell are you talking about?  Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#49]
There's a farm not too far from my house that raises them.  They've been doing it for over 20 years and now have around 100 of them.  They also sell bison meat, and it is lean and delicious.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

It just seems strange to me. A poster with a bison screenname and a bison avatar promoting a bison website in a random bison thread on a gun forum....

ETA: And a buffalo reference in his sig. He must really love bison.

given they are my livelihood and I have been raising them for most of my life, yes I like the animals quite a bit.  Bison also got me into firearms (gotta kill em with something).  the website I gave is for the national bison association and has a lot of good information about bison on it,  If I were trying to promote something I would have linked the website to my online bison meat store.  The screen name is the name of my business and the sig is from a little sign sitting in my shop.

anything else I can clear up for you?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top