Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2012 11:41:43 PM EDT
Are you “That guy”?

This is not meant to offend or displace anyone, but we really need to talk…

I have been on both sides of the gun counter and this applies to both sides of the counter. Have you ever been annoyed by the “know-it-all”? You know, the guy who insists that the VC were better equipped than the US because the AK could fire the 7.62x39 AND the 5.56 NATO? Sometimes it’s the old M-16’s were made by Mattel.

Listen, I’ve heard more BS about guns than most. The problem I have is “that guy” is doing far more harm than good. We need new shooters, we need positive role models. However ‘that guy” is handing new shooters a .500S&W for their first shots or telling the “little lady” the ONLY gun she should ever buy is a .38 snub nose, when “that guy” has no idea of her shooting abilities or needs.  “That guy” comes off as a complete douche and turns off new shooters all the time…

The problem is that most adult gun owners are not willing to speak up. It’s not because of fear, but because most gun owners are respectful, honest people and they find it rude to interrupt the maddening load of BS. We need to stop this.

We have a moral responsibility to new shooters and those unfamiliar/afraid of firearms to pass on our knowledge. We need to stop “that guy” from interrupting the sale. We need to make sure that the public sees us not as “that guy” but as the rest of the 99% of us really are. When “that guy” is on TV bumpfiring his AK, drinking beer and wreaking havoc, ALL of us look bad. When “that guy” hands a .44 Magnum to a 12 year old kid for his first shot, we ALL look bad.

We need to end this madness. Please, help. Don’t be “that guy”
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
nah, just laugh at him with your friends.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm so ashamed...
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad still insists his M-16 had a Mattel rollmark. I've gotten so tired of trying to convince him that I've just given up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you “That guy”?

I have been on both sides of the gun counter and this applies to both sides of the counter. Have you ever been annoyed by the “know-it-all”? You know, the guy who insists that the VC were better equipped than the US because the AK could fire the 7.62x39 AND the 5.56 NATO? Sometimes it’s the old M-16’s were made by Mattel.

Listen, I’ve heard more BS about guns than most. The problem I have is “that guy” is doing far more harm than good. We need new shooters, we need positive role models. However ‘that guy” is handing new shooters a .500S&W for their first shots or telling the “little lady” the ONLY gun she should ever buy is a .38 snub nose, when “that guy” has no idea of her shooting abilities or needs.  “That guy” comes off as a complete douche and turns off new shooters all the time…

The problem is that most adult gun owners are not willing to speak up. It’s not because of fear, but because most gun owners are respectful, honest people and they find it rude to interrupt the maddening load of BS. We need to stop this.

We have a moral responsibility to new shooters and those unfamiliar/afraid of firearms to pass on our knowledge. We need to stop “that guy” from interrupting the sale. We need to make sure that the public sees us not as “that guy” but as the rest of the 99% of us really are. When “that guy” is on TV bumpfiring his AK, drinking beer and wreaking havoc, ALL of us look bad. When “that guy” hands a .44 Magnum to a 12 year old kid for his first shot, we ALL look bad.

dont be "that guy" that expects serious answers out of the GD at 3 in the morning either

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm so ashamed...

You should feel bad too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 12:14:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought you were talking about "that guy" that's giving your girlfriend the loving she can't get at home. The kind that gives her the 50 shades of grey when you're giving her the 50 shades of gay.

No, I ain't that guy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
On a serious note, just remember that just cause there's that one guy out there, there are plenty of knowledgeable people who work at gun stores who aren't like that. Eventually that guy will go out of business. So a few people's exp may be ruined but the overall collective gains momentum. Think positive and distance yourself from that guy, people will take notice and follow you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
On a serious note, just remember that just cause there's that one guy out there, there are plenty of knowledgeable people who work at gun stores who aren't like that. Eventually that guy will go out of business. So a few people's exp may be ruined but the overall collective gains momentum. Think positive and distance yourself from that guy, people will take notice and follow you.

no not really, most if not all have one.. or so it is around here.. Its like they flock to this hobby.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Come to FL we have a great gun culture. Yes we have those guys but they are such a small factor it's almost not worth mentioning.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That was the point...

It's the 1% of gun owners that give us the public black eye.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 12:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Come to FL we have a great gun culture. Yes we have those guys but they are such a small factor it's almost not worth mentioning.

LOL uh no.. I do not want to reloate my smithing business.. If that was the case Id go to Switzerland, and work there. In a high end shop as a smith.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Great post and thing to think about.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure that I'm not 'that guy' but aren't Glocks made out of flimsy remote control plastic?
EDIT: I was wrong, there is a Glock made in Germany. It's made of porcelain and  doesn't show up on airport metal detectors but costs more than what Dulles International Airport Police Chief makes in a month.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 1:42:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought you were talking about "that guy" that's giving your girlfriend the loving she can't get at home. The kind that gives her the 50 shades of grey when you're giving her the 50 shades of gay.

No, I ain't that guy.

hahaha havent heard that one yet
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 1:46:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, I ain't that guy.

Beware, Confucius says, "He who fishes in other man's well often catches crabs."
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm not "that guy" at the gun store, but I am at the airport.  Fully loaded mag in the carry-on?   You betcha!

Those nice men with guns and ear pieces were surprisingly gentle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 3:45:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Aren't you being "That Guy" by telling us all how to act, so it suits YOUR needs?
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 4:02:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are you “That guy”?

On the other side, you can get kicked out of gun stores when you tell the guy he's full of shit when he tries to sell you some Lake City at 3x market price, because "The government has made the ammunition manufacturers switch to timed primers, so militias can't stockpile ammo. This is the last stuff off the line that you can store and shoot years from now!"
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I ain't that guy.

hahaha havent heard that one yet

Just made it up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I ain't that guy.

Beware, Confucius says, "He who fishes in other man's well often catches crabs."

lol horry shit, dat funny guy. lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought you were talking about "that guy" that's giving your girlfriend the loving she can't get at home. The kind that gives her the 50 shades of grey when you're giving her the 50 shades of gay

No, I ain't that guy.

Sig line material
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I am "that guy."   (meant in the "I am Spartacus" sense  )
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 6:11:08 AM EDT
[#23]
whatever dude. when i was a deltaSEAL in 'nam i shot captured 7.62 in my mattel m16 all the time to cover my tracks behind enemy lines in laos and cambodia. the smaller barrel hole make the 7.62 bullets go even faster and the tumbling shockwave would rip a gook's arm or head off even if i missed by a foot, which i never did because i was a deltaSEAL sniper with so many confirmed kills i lost count. all my paperwork was either blacked out or burned in that fire in st. louis... but i've said too much already.

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My dad still insists his M-16 had a Mattel rollmark. I've gotten so tired of trying to convince him that I've just given up.

There were grips with Mattel marks on them.  I've had one as an issue weapon before.  They were Colt receivers though.

I try to avoid listening to most things I hear from either side of the fun shop counter.

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were grips with Mattel marks on them.  I've had one as an issue weapon before.  They were Colt receivers though.

I try to avoid listening to most things I hear from either side of the fun shop counter.

And away we go!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#26]

"That guy" is also the pendantic douche that expects all gun owners to know everything about firearms even though they don't either.  They hang on terms like clip vs magazine, revolver vs pistol, shit that doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the point...

Way more than 1%. Way, way more.

I don't give a fuck. A gun is a tool. If they wanna think a Desert Eagle best suits their need because of a video game, that doesn't affect me. If they stop shooting after that, I still careth not. Personal freedoms and all that. I keep seeing the use of the collective "we" in your post and would like to point out I'm not part of that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the point...

Way more than 1%. Way, way more.

I don't give a fuck. A gun is a tool. If they wanna think a Desert Eagle best suits their need because of a video game, that doesn't affect me. If they stop shooting after that, I still careth not. Personal freedoms and all that. I keep seeing the use of the collective "we" in your post and would like to point out I'm not part of that.

Hmmm, I think you misunderstood...

I'm not saying anything about what people do on their own, but it's what they do in public. When some idiot starts telling some tall tale and pushing people away with their insane/inane rantings, we should stop that. I couldn't care less if they bought a "Deagle" because of a video game and I never said you should.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top