Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I think its very possible if the manufacturers offered Diesel engines in 1/2 ton trucks.

Now I don't mean by putting a 500HP Diesel in them like the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Something like a 4 or 6 cylinder Diesel with around 300HP and lots of torque.

I could see the lighter 1/2 ton trucks getting close to 30 mpg on the highway with a setup like that. However, here in America we're supposed to embrace the hybrid cars for some reason.

I think very soon we'll start seeing more Diesel cars and trucks in the states, because the European emissions standard will be close to what the EPA has already set for us.

EDIT: Think about this.

15 mpg average for a gasoline V8 engine
28 mpg average for a Diesel engine

Current Gas Prices in my Area
87 Octane Gas = $3.44
Diesel Fuel = $3.90

Extra $$ for Diesel option = $3000

Say you drive 15K a year.

15K/15mpg = 1000 gallons of gasoline. So, that's $3,440 a year.
15K/28mpg = 535 gallons of Diesel. So, that's $2087 a year.

That's a difference of $1353 a year. So, it would take about 2.95 years to pay for the Diesel option on a 1/2 ton truck.

Well worth it in my opinion. That is of course if we were ever offered that option from any 1/2 ton truck.

Current diesel upgrade cost on 3/4 ton trucks is closer to $7,000 IIRC - don't have any good reason to believe it would be cut in half on half-ton trucks.

Friend had a mid 80's 2wd GM 1/2 ton with the 6.2 NA diesel - I think it got 25mpg on the highway unloaded at a steady 60mph.  Not exactly the way people are going to drive on a regular basis.

Brian
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
From last weekend's trip. Three hundred miles of about 90% cruise control. Slight tailwind. Best mpg to date.
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n540/dirt28/IMAG2000.jpg

You should slow down to take a pic, so you don't wreck your Raptor.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing that I know of
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Not without a tail wind, a downhill, and two dudes pushing to start.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think its very possible if the manufacturers offered Diesel engines in 1/2 ton trucks.

Now I don't mean by putting a 500HP Diesel in them like the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Something like a 4 or 6 cylinder Diesel with around 300HP and lots of torque.

I could see the lighter 1/2 ton trucks getting close to 30 mpg on the highway with a setup like that. However, here in America we're supposed to embrace the hybrid cars for some reason.

I think very soon we'll start seeing more Diesel cars and trucks in the states, because the European emissions standard will be close to what the EPA has already set for us.

87 Octane Gas = $3.44
Diesel Fuel = $3.90

That's a difference of $1353 a year. So, it would take about 2.95 years to pay for the Diesel option on a 1/2 ton truck.

Well worth it in my opinion. That is of course if we were ever offered that option from any 1/2 ton truck.

Current diesel upgrade cost on 3/4 ton trucks is closer to $7,000 IIRC - don't have any good reason to believe it would be cut in half on half-ton trucks.

Friend had a mid 80's 2wd GM 1/2 ton with the 6.2 NA diesel - I think it got 25mpg on the highway unloaded at a steady 60mph.  Not exactly the way people are going to drive on a regular basis.

Brian

I think the demand would be great enough to push down the price of the Diesel upgrade. Plus a lot of manufacturers already have Diesels over in Europe. When the European emissions standards come closer to the EPA standard I think it would become more cost effective. This way they don't have to develop one Diesel for the US and one for Europe. The Diesel option on Mercedes ML350 is only $1000. Mercedes and VW are really serious about having Diesels in the US.

Diesels are perfect for 1/2 ton trucks, and with the new fuel economy regulations they are going to have to find ways to get 1/2 ton fuel economy up. One of the easiest ways will be to have Diesel engines. That alone is worth around a 30% improvement in fuel economy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I would love a Taco, but I'm not sure my 6'2" frame would appreciate it.

I'm 6'2", and I love my Tacoma.  The '05s and up are bigger than the last gen.

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit id love to see it. My truck gets like 9-10mpg at best but shes built for speed and nothign else

We can land a rover on Mars dangit, we should be able to do this in our sleep.  I am considering jumping down into the smaller trucks just for the fuel savings.  

You're getting it then. That is their plan. Taking the bus is a bit further along, but part of their plan nontheless.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I once got 23 mpg with my F150 on I 75 ... but I was driving very carefully to enhance the mileage.  I have no idea what the intown mileage is but she's all mine, has 34000 miles on her and is close to 7 years old.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Old ass 1/2 ton 2wd GM with a 6.2 diesel can get that much.....they suck balls though
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Diesel Toyota Hilux  

The fuck you say? BAN HIM
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does this animal exist?

Sure, as long as you define a "full size" truck as one that is less than 180 inches long, less than 45 inches tall, less than 63 inches wide, weights less than 3600 pounds,and has no more than 4 litres in the engine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think the demand would be great enough to push down the price of the Diesel upgrade. Plus a lot of manufacturers already have Diesels over in Europe. When the European emissions standards come closer to the EPA standard I think it would become more cost effective. This way they don't have to develop one Diesel for the US and one for Europe. The Diesel option on Mercedes ML350 is only $1000. Mercedes and VW are really serious about having Diesels in the US.

Diesels are perfect for 1/2 ton trucks, and with the new fuel economy regulations they are going to have to find ways to get 1/2 ton fuel economy up. One of the easiest ways will be to have Diesel engines. That alone is worth around a 30% improvement in fuel economy.

I'm all for the diesel 1/2 ton - although given my experience with Dodge Cummins I'm not sure I'd expect a real world 30% MPG improvement.

Brian
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit id love to see it. My truck gets like 9-10mpg at best but shes built for speed and nothign else

We can land a rover on Mars dangit, we should be able to do this in our sleep.  I am considering jumping down into the smaller trucks just for the fuel savings.  

In my case a supercharged built V8 in a truck isnt a gas sipper man. If I want a gas sipper it would never be in a truck thats for damned sure
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
28.6 in mercedes ml diesel  but it cost 55,000
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A regular cab, base model Ford F150 with an Ecoboost and 3.15's would probably get close to 25 mpg on the highway, maybe more with a tune.

You could probably pick one up for around 25K or less.

Yup.... this is close as you are gonna get for a few years. The upside is that the F150 is a fantastic truck, and the Ecoboost
is a solid performer so far.

-ZA

As long as you don't get one of the 25% ecoboost that misfires
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#17]
My mirrors fold in automatically––with a pushbutton and I do it some times on the highway.  Might be 1 mpg difference at 65 MPH.

Quoted:

The problem at hwy speeds is wind resistance. One truck mag said that they had tried all of the gimmicks to improve mpg in an truck and the only thing that really made a difference was to remove the mirrors.

My dbl cab Tundra 4.7 gets 17mpg cruzing 70mph, pretty flat, what would it take to almost double that? I don't think that can be done.

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I've heard that Nissan will be adopting the new Cummins V-8.  
This engine was supposed to go in half ton Dodges.
I would expect this engine to get upper 20's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does this animal exist?

eta: mpg

Yes, but it'll require other fuels and a bunch of money on top of the initial vehicle purchase.

Used diesel pickup.

Fiberglass hood, smaller/lighter tires, lexan windows, and any other weight reducing tricks you can do.

Any aerodynamic tricks (lowering vehicle, removing wiper arms, skinny tires, belly pan, shaved door handles, etc.)

DPF delete with computer flash.

Propane injection kit.

Now the propane kit is the biggest problem with the truth of a 30mpg claim. You will see a reduction in the amount of diesel fuel consumed. Diesel Power magazine saw one guy get, IIRC, over 38mpg on the highway. The problem is that it didn't measure propane consumption. You'll still spend more per mile than a 38mpg vehicle getting the mileage on fuel alone.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've heard that Nissan will be adopting the new Cummins V-8.  
This engine was supposed to go in half ton Dodges.
I would expect this engine to get upper 20's.

Yeah, Nissan is supposed to have a new Titan out for 2014. It was supposed to be a rebadged Dodge Ram, but that cancelled because of the bailout situation in 2008-2009. I'm actually glad that happened, because I love my Nissan Titan and definitely don't want a Dodge. I'd rather Nissan build their own Titan.

From what I'm hearing Nissan is working with Cummins on a department of energy funded project that will last till 2014. Hope something good comes of it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Answer is yes and no..u can have a full size that gets 30+ a gallon.  Butttt. No it wont b new.  With 30 k u can build it to like new though.  People wont agree with my process but it works for me and thats all that matters.   My setup is a 84 crew cab 2wd 6.2 diesel nA 6 spd duub.od tranny full floater diff 3.73 rat   done all the work myself built motor trans.and diff. Took me a year but with about 20 k i have a very nice very ecpnomical truck that consistantly maintains 32 to the gallon on np2 and 35 on.veg oil.     To boot a very clean paintjob and very nice interior.   Very comfortable coosh ride
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

A regular cab, base model Ford F150 with an Ecoboost and 3.15's would probably get close to 25 mpg on the highway, maybe more with a tune.

No seriously...

I don't see what's so funny. I have a regular cab short bed F150 with 3.55s, 4WD, and the 5.0 V8. I consistently get 21 MPG (highway) going somewhere around 70-75 mph.
I really don't doubt that with a light foot and his specs that 25 is out of the realm. I've averaged 22+ on my 40 mile commute occasionally

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see this all the time, 6'2"?  Have you even tried to fit in one?  C'mon, that isn't that tall ––MOST cars actually do fit you. (I am 6' and drive a civic with no problem)––my friend is 6'8" and has no problem (surviving) with an s-10.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine gets about 10 in the city and 14 on the hwy.   I guess it would help if I didn't have these huge mud tires on it.   Specs say it should be able to get 13 city and 17 highway but I've never gotten that.    
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#27]
If you moved to anywhere but the US you could get a Navara (Frontier) with the 2.4L Turbo Diesel with 297ft.lb torque. http://www.nissan.co.uk/#vehicles/4x4/navara/key-figures/discover/specifications/consumption

I want one! Too bad the crooks in Washington that are in the pockets of big oil won't let us have the super efficient vehicles the rest of the world gets.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Mercedes, or Freightliner cab chassis. up to a 1 ton chassis and the 2013 is supposed to be rated at about 33 mpg highway. It is a small low HP, hi torque turbo diesel. If you want fuel efficiency and good payload this is the best available. But a new one will run you $35k
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see this all the time, 6'2"?  Have you even tried to fit in one?  C'mon, that isn't that tall ––MOST cars actually do fit you. (I am 6' and drive a civic with no problem)––my friend is 6'8" and has no problem (surviving) with an s-10.

I'm also not a skinny guy.  But I'm going to test drive one this week.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that rover runs on plutonium
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

My mirrors fold in automatically––with a pushbutton and I do it some times on the highway.  Might be 1 mpg difference at 65 MPH.

Quoted:

The problem at hwy speeds is wind resistance. One truck mag said that they had tried all of the gimmicks to improve mpg in an truck and the only thing that really made a difference was to remove the mirrors.

My dbl cab Tundra 4.7 gets 17mpg cruzing 70mph, pretty flat, what would it take to almost double that? I don't think that can be done.

That's interesting....I was just thinking the other day why there hasn't been a car introduced that uses cameras in lieu of side view mirrors, but more for the reason of seeing a number of cars with with busted mirrors.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My truck can get triple that, no problem.

Gotta watch out for the law though.  They don't appreciate folks who know the secret.

ETA:  Aw you fixed it.

No.  No truck I know will get that.  MAYBE a leaned out Diesel with all unnecessary weight stripped.  But I doubt it.

A older pick up stripped out with a four cylinder diesel possibly. It would be horrible to drive and useless for anything other than economy. I know of no factory truck that meets that criteria.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

87 Octane Gas = $3.44

Diesel Fuel = $3.90

Brian

Are there any diesel hybrids over in Europe or anywhere else for passenger cars and trucks or is the hybrid car movement more of an American thing?

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The laws of physics still apply.

FWIW it took several tons of fuel to put that rover on Mars.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ecoboost is not available in regular cabs. Even then it still will not get 30mpg. A 2wd extended cab which is a marginal weight increase over a regular cab will only get 24mpg.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In before the Cummins guys.

I need taller boots to listen to their mpg claims.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The closest you'll get is a stripped down 2WD Ecoboost F-150. They start at around $25k, then spend a little more on a custom tune. You should be around 25 MPG on the highway, for under your budget. That's as close as you're going to get.

Do they really get that kind of mileage?

I'd love a new truck but I don't drive enough to justify it.

My 2000 F150, V6, 2WD, 5 speed gets 17.2 according to fuelly.

yes. 2012 F150 Ecoboost Supercrew XLT - i'll post a pic when photobucket comes back up.

can't get in right now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Not a chance.

Get a Ford Ranger if you want good MPGs and only need the bed space.  Not much towing capability to speak of with it though.  Maybe a jetski or something.  My Ranger 4 cyl got about 29/30 mpg at 65 mph, and about 24/25 mpg city.  

Got a F350 now with the 6.7L diesel.  Still breaking it in, but I'm getting just over 19 mpg on the hwy (65 mph unloaded).  Gets 15 mpg mixed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.... this is close as you are gonna get for a few years. The upside is that the F150 is a fantastic truck, and the Ecoboost
is a solid performer so far.

-ZA

So far.

The one I had as a rental for a week was awesome and had me really considering selling the paid off Ram and getting one but payments suck and I talked myself out of it. I would wait and see how they do long term. It's a pretty sophisticated engine and more tech means more stuff to break/expensive repairs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In before the Cummins guys.

If you think you can crank 30 mpg out of a 5.9, then you got another thing Cummins.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ecoboost is not available in regular cabs. Even then it still will not get 30mpg. A 2wd extended cab which is a marginal weight increase over a regular cab will only get 24mpg.

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm currently getting 18MPG average city/highway while toting around a 700lb 4-wheeler in the back.  Without it I averaged 19.5, and was getting about 26MPG highway @ 70MPH.  If I creep at 55 (most highway speedlimits around here) I get a solid 30MPG all day long as long as I don't hit any traffic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think it could exist. IF a lot of the belt-driven accessories were removed from the engine and replace with electronically-driven accessories, I think we'd see a lot better fuel mileage and, possibly, longer lasting engines.  That's just my $0.02. It's only an idea though, I've never actually sat down to crunch the numbers so I couldn't really say one way or the other whether it's actually feasible to do that.

You're looking for energy from nothing. Running those electronic accessories would take a bigger alternator to power them which would create more drag and negate any gains.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#45]
My stock 2011 eco-boost is getting 21-22 on the highway (as long as I keep my foot out of it).
I think as soon as I can figure out the sweet spot I could pull out a 24mpg, possibly more. I do know that 80mph is not the sweet spot.

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My stock 2011 eco-boost is getting 21-22 on the highway (as long as I keep my foot out of it).
I think as soon as I can figure out the sweet spot I could pull out a 24mpg, possibly more. I do know that 80mph is not the sweet spot.

That's the problem with my Ecoboost as well.  55 is the sweet spot, but does decent up to 65-70, anything higher and the mileage drops dramatically.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Diesel Toyota Hilux  

That's a compact.

There is no vehicle that meets all his requirements.  The Hilux is as close as you're going to get, assuming mileage is most important.

Not really close...I've converted the numbers and the 3.0L turbodiesel still only ekes out about 25-26mpg highway.  It's still about 20% better than a gasoline 4.0L 1GR-FE getting 20-21mpg highway.  

Maybe if you slowed it down to 55mph.  We're talking sane driving, right?  Not driving a tall 4x4 pickup into a 15mph headwind at 80mph with 33" MT ties and expecting to get 30mpg.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it could exist. IF a lot of the belt-driven accessories were removed from the engine and replace with electronically-driven accessories, I think we'd see a lot better fuel mileage and, possibly, longer lasting engines.  That's just my $0.02. It's only an idea though, I've never actually sat down to crunch the numbers so I couldn't really say one way or the other whether it's actually feasible to do that.

You're looking for energy from nothing. Running those electronic accessories would take a bigger alternator to power them which would create more drag and negate any gains.

I think BMW does that in Europe with their "efficient dynamics" diesels.

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I want to find a 4BT and put it in my jeep so bad... I just can't afford to do it at the moment...
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8868/47551944.jpg

Huh.

When I checked it was not an option. I'm guessing that was just for short beds as I was not interested in a 8' bed.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top