Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Only marginally on topic, but I must brag!

My '09 GTI is in the shop to get the a/c fixed, so I'm driving my '02 TDI.  As I drive the TDI around town, I keep asking myself, WHY did I even buy the GTI?  This mk iv TDI is a fuckin blast!  All the while getting 20mpg better.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Efficiency in the engine will only carry you so far.  Highway MPG is hugely a factor of aerodynamics and rolling resistance.

So design sleek trucks with skinny, high-pressure tires with little tread to them, and combine that with the ultra-efficient engines.  Then you'll get a 30MPG truck that nobody will want to buy because they won't look manly.

You can have your cake, or you can eat it.  But not both.

Not trying to hijack my own thread here, but I've never understood this phrase.

By definition, if you are eating a piece of cake, you are having it.  

Or another way to put it is, if I've been given one choice.  I can either have a cake, or I can eat the cake...I'm eating the cake.  It's the same damn thing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Efficiency in the engine will only carry you so far.  Highway MPG is hugely a factor of aerodynamics and rolling resistance.

So design sleek trucks with skinny, high-pressure tires with little tread to them, and combine that with the ultra-efficient engines.  Then you'll get a 30MPG truck that nobody will want to buy because they won't look manly.

You can have your cake, or you can eat it.  But not both.

Not trying to hijack my own thread here, but I've never understood this phrase.

By definition, if you are eating a piece of cake, you are having it.  

Or another way to put it is, if I've been given one choice.  I can either have a cake, or I can eat the cake...I'm eating the cake.  It's the same damn thing.

Once you have eaten the cake, you no longer have it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That said, if you ran a tank of 93 you'd probably see at least a 2mpg improvement.  Might not save any money, but I'd feel better knowing my engine is running better.[/div]

If a vehicle does not require premium and you run premium....you really are not giving it any help....
Now if it requires premium then that is a different thing.

You are correct. So many people believe that running premium in a vehicle that does not require it gives them a performance gain. Higher octane gasoline enables the fuel to withstand higher combustion pressures before it reahes a stage of igniting before spark is added.
The fuel itself does not ad performance, it's the compression ratio of the engine that determines that.

As for the full size truck issue discussed, a 2004-2009 Duramax 2500HD can yield 30+ mpg regularly if it is kept in tune. 2010 models cannot yield the same economy due to DPF and DEF.
EPA killed the economy in the newer units with added emissions regulations.

No way in hell any dmax is getting 30mpg.  Not a chance.

I guess I made a mistake. The MPG that the older Duramax trucks are getting is calculated in Imperial gallons, which was the standard measurement here before we adopted the metric system.
To be fair, one imperial gallon is 4.54 litres. One U.S. gallon is 3.78 litres.
Recalculate that to  24.977 miles per U.S. gallon.

Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe if you geared one real high and the highways were all flat
Of course, it would take you some time to get up to highways speeds...

...maybe a VW Bus would be a better option for you

Speed

Our 69 VW Bus got 16.5 mpg city or highway.  Low mileage but at least it was unreliable.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/general/0708dp_1997_dodge_ram_3500_dualie_cummins/

Yes I'm a cummins guy, my 2500 QC 4x4 just got 25mpg on the trip back from Yellowstone.  The linked article is very legit, the really did everything right.  The only spots I would see for improvement would be lowering it, not drastically but every little bit does help.  Not being a dually with the wide ass end fenders,  A proper air dam up front.  and they folded in the mirrors but you could easily swap mirrors from a car onto it.

As I recall, that same magazine took a 1989 Dodge 3/4ton and swapped the transmission for a six speed automaitic, made some improvements to the engine, and was getting 28mpg highway.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top