Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2012 5:42:48 PM EDT
Guys,

I'm not a smoker, but I am a prepper.

For those of you who own/use those Zippo lighters, please tell me why you prefer them over the cheap Bic disposable lighters?

I'd like to carry a lighter with me....and I'd like your opinions.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I only collect the older ones.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say stick with a bic. Cheap, runs just as long I think, and will last unused whereas zippos will dry out. Of course, it's been a decade since I've carried a zippo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I really liked mine when I smoked.

Though I will say the biggest drawback is constantly running out of fluid and having no way of knowing until it's dry.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a tool I'd keep for prepping. The fuel needs replacing relatively often.

I am not a smoker either but I have my Grandad's old one, and every now and then I'll pick it up and play with it, and much of the fuel will have evaporated out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Back when I used to smoke I carried one in my pocket. They are easy to over-fill and the naptha can leech out and really irritate (burn) your skin. It will pull the oils out.

ETA, I love the way they smell though. I still enjoy the smell of a fresh lit cigarette with a zippo. Just the initial smell though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to use one when I smoked for a few years in my late teens 10-12 year ago. As already stated, the fluid evaporates out of them fairly quickly.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a couple three  of them and most won't hold fluid for a day or two.  One older one I have will be ok for about a week, then needs refilling.  Smoker buddy of mine seems to have stopped carrying his because they run out so quick.  Great idea until the bottom line became more important than the product.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#9]
The real perk to a Zippo is that you can theoretically run it on anything liquid and flammable, although some are not strongly recommended unless it's an emergency.

Perfume is an impossible scent to get out of a lighter without replacing the nylon "cotton" inside.

People have had good luck with keeping a piece of inner tube around the hinge area as a seal to keep the fuel from evaporating.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Primarily because they work better in any kind of wind situation.  Butane lighters are a bitch in anything other than a light breeze.  Now there are specialty butanes that do work in windy conditions but these do cost more than a normal disposable.  

Zippos, while they may cost a bit up front, even out over the long haul.  I can fill my Zippo up once a week and I'm good to go.  If you carry a spare flint in the bottom of the lighter then you are prepared when the flint needs to be replaced.

After you get a feel for how long a Zippo will run between refills then you will never be caught out.  Butanes do give you some warning but not enough unless you are close to a store and can just pick up another one.

Both work just fine and it just boils down to personal preference.  I like things that I keep a long time (watches, wallets, lighters).  I guess I'm kinda old school in some respects.  Hey, I carry a 1911 if that tells you anything.  I like older, well built equipment and that even includes my lighter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Worth it, yes.

Run out fast, yes.

Made 15 mins from my house, yes.

I have a few but I don't smoke anymore so they sit.  I do use their candle/grill lighter that uses butane, I have 2 and love them.  I keep a bic in my truck and a few around the house as well.  Cheap, easy and I can see the fluid level.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
This.   http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=fire+starter&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1024&bih=649&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15639118598184194457&sa=X&ei=f1UsUNjiJcfVyAGO2YDwDQ&ved=0CJsBEPMCMAc
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#13]
They're good for smoking, not so much prepping.  A handful of bics is lighter than a Zippo, flints, and a can of fluid.  You get a lot of burn time with a handful of bics.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Get both. Disposable lighters are cheap and work fine, but they can't be refilled. Zippo type lighters will run out of fuel somewhat unpredictably but as mentioned can be filled with anything that is liquid and very flammable. So for prepping I think the disposable lighters are better, but if something world changing did happen, 30 years later zippos would still be in use.

Protip. You can pull the flint from a used up bic lighter and use it in your zippo. Oddly enough the flints in the disposable lighters are significantly longer than the zipo flints so you may want to cut it in half.

Edit: No one is pointing out that disposable lighters have their draw backs as well. The button can get pushed when it is in your pocket and all the butane can escape. So you go to pull out your Bic lighter that is supposed to last so much longer and you find it empty. Also they are meant to be disposable so the construction is crappy and sometimes they will fall apart on you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a few, and some fuel.
The burn differently than a bic. I think the flame is cooler, larger, and generally speaking, wind resistant.
If anything, they make a better light source than a bic...candle-like.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Guys,

I'm not a smoker, but I am a prepper.

For those of you who own/use those Zippo lighters, please tell me why you prefer them over the cheap Bic disposable lighters?

I'd like to carry a lighter with me....and I'd like your opinions.

No, not for a non-smoker.

And I say that as a collector.

Zippos are hands down my favorite lighters, but they need complete refueling on a weekly basis.

Therefore, they're completely impractical for a prepper's BOB.

I don't believe Bics, while good solid lighters, are ideal for you either! Though, should be on hand as backup.

Consider butane torch lighters.

They are truly windproof, burn at something like 1400* making fire starting a cinch, and are capable/versatile for other tasks.

Like soldering, heat source for wrenching, and probably even light cutting though I haven't tried it.

In any event, if you have a stuck bolt, a bic won't be much help. A pocket torch will.

That's my opinion.

Zippos are great, but they don't rate all that well as survival tools.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Get a few, and some fuel.

The burn differently than a bic. I think the flame is cooler, larger, and generally speaking, wind resistant.

If anything, they make a better light source than a bic...candle-like.

I considered their application as "candle" lights, the problem is, they get DAMN HOT and fairly quickly.

In an emergency, fine... but I'd rather have a few better alternatives before I'd have to rely on a zippo for light.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#18]
You can get a butane insert for Zippos so you can use it with your favorite case design.
I need to get an insert so I can use one of my collection while camping (I dont smoke, but I have a few Zippos I've picked up over the years), there's just something about flicking a Zippo open vs playing with a Bic or matches.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Both.  A Zippo will work with most any flammable liquid.  Use it when your Bics run out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Primarily because they work better in any kind of wind situation.  Butane lighters are a bitch in anything other than a light breeze.  Now there are specialty butanes that do work in windy conditions but these do cost more than a normal disposable.  

You can buy very inexpensive yet very powerful torches at Harbor Freight for under ten bucks.

Serious tools.

Considering dude is a non-smoker, I cannot see any reason whatsoever for him to consider a Zippo.

It's completely impractical, as when he needs the damn thing, odds are, it'll be dry and useless.

In which case he'd be better off with a flint and steel.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Back when I used to smoke I carried one in my pocket. They are easy to over-fill and the naptha can leech out and really irritate (burn) your skin. It will pull the oils out.

ETA, I love the way they smell though. I still enjoy the smell of a fresh lit cigarette with a zippo. Just the initial smell though.

Best to carry in a belt pouch.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Refillable & crush proof.
I have both and spare flints string
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I like Zippos in addition to, not instead of, Bics. I carry a Bic in my pocket, another in my EDC bag, another in my bugout bag, and spares here and there. I also carry a Zippo in my EDC bag, another in my bugout bag, and have others here and there.

Bics are always ready to go, until they run out of fuel. When they do that, BTW, I extract the flint to use in my Zippos (and similar lighters) because they are way better than the flints you buy in the little packs.

Zippos do indeed lose their fuel quickly due to evaporation. They will also give you a chemical burn on your leg if you carry them in a thin front pocket. If you are carrying one in your BOB, you need to put a container of fuel in there too.

The good thing about a Zippo as compared to a throwaway or even refillable butane lighter is the variety of fuels they can use. I use white gasoline (Coleman fuel, etc.) almost exclusively in mine because it is less volatile, thus lights more easily during hot Southern summers and doesn't evaporate as fast, as compared to the naphtha that is marketed as lighter fuel. It is also cheaper. I have even dipped mine directly into the gas tank of a jeep (a real jeep; you know, the kind you can raise the driver's seat, unscrew the gas cap and stick your fist all the way to the bottom of the tank) to refuel it. The smell permeates everything when you do that, but it works. It will even work with alcohol. I've tried it. It's not as easy to light, but it does light.

There are other liquid-fuel lighters of the same functional design as the Zippo, and some are higher quality and don't leak and evaporate as quickly. For example, I have a Zenith that I gave 50 cents for at a yard sale, that is higher quality than my Zippos. I also have a bagful of little bullet-shaped lighters that are functionally of the Zippo design, but the top screws on and off and is sealed with an O-ring to prevent leaking. They are made of matte nickle-plated brass. I got those to put in small survival kits to sell, but I haven't gotten around to putting any kits together and listing them.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Look at the peanut lighter from county comm

Waite, don't do that,  it will cost you money.

They have some neat stuff.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I really liked mine when I smoked.

Though I will say the biggest drawback is constantly running out of fluid and having no way of knowing until it's dry.

You can tell.

When the fluid is nearly out, you'll see that the wick starts to burn.

When the flame is a little weak and you see embers on the wick ends, it's time to refill.

That's the best way I can explain it. If you use a zippo and pay attention to the wick, it's noticeable.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Carried one for 22 years in the Army up mountains in the jungle in the desert never let me down I do however have a Bic in my survival tin.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#27]
As a pipe smoker, I have several lighters.  Mostly I just buy BICs.  They work extremely well right up until they run out of bastard gas.  

I no longer own Zippos because it seemed impossible to keep fuel in the fuckin' things.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I no longer own Zippos because it seemed impossible to keep fuel in the fuckin' things.

I don't understand how so many seem to have difficulties with this.

And it can't be a case of "I just have a good one" because I rotate through about 15 of em

I get around a week out of a fill, and about a day's notice that I need a refill.

They are perfectly reliable for me, and have been for 20yrs.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#30]

My experience as well, except I still own 5-6 of the lighters and several jugs of fluid.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I keep both on hand. I smoke, and prefer to use a Zippo to light my smokes with, but keep plain old bics stashed around just because they don't dry out and need refueling. I do prefer to use the name brand Bic lighters though-the cheap gas station butane lighters are pretty shitty and tend to range from impossible to light to "HOLY FUCK! I just burnt off my eyebrows!" with no real consistency. I get 10 days to 2 weeks between fill ups for my Zippo if I don't leave it in my truck when it's 110 out, and aesthetically, there's just something about a Zippo that I like.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't understand how so many seem to have difficulties with this.

And it can't be a case of "I just have a good one" because I rotate through about 15 of em

I get around a week out of a fill, and about a day's notice that I need a refill.

They are perfectly reliable for me, and have been for 20yrs.

I don't carry mine around and I don't use them every day.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't have too much experience with them, but I have found that pulling the cotton out and reworming the remainder of the wick through it real good can help a stubborn Zippo and/or one that seems like it doesn't hold fuel very long.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I love Zippos but Baby Bics are the ultimate anywhere fire starters.  A pack of a few of BBs could get a non smoker through a few years for very low cost.  They are reliable and self regulating and last nearly as long as the big ones.  They are the AK-47 of lighters.  I keep one in each pocket most of the time but I'm one of the idiots who still smokes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Will run on any flammable liquid.
Will light in the wind as advertised.
Have on occasion stopped bullets.
Will work as a lamp.
Will not blow up.
Have burned many a hut down.

Made in America and guaranteed for life.
Well worth it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Funny you should ask......

I was at the Class 6 (liquor store) on base and they had zippo's at the checkout area, by the tobacco.  I had thought about getting one for awhile so I got one for $15 with a replacement wick, some flints, and a bottle of fluid.

I don't smoke either and I'm not much of a prepper but I just thought I'd like to have something other than Bics around.  Like others have said, the fluid really does evaporate within days.  I ended up buying one of these so if I ever did want to take my zippo out with me, I'll know that I'm guaranteed to have at least 1 refill even if the fluid in the lighter has evaporated.  It's a sweet little canister and holds 1 full fill of fluid.  I tried it out once and then filled it up and have left it sitting on its side on top of a paper towel.  The lids are redundant and lock down tight so I am pretty comfortable that it won't leak.  There's no openings for the fluid to come out until you unscrew the cap so if your purpose for the zippo is prepping, one of these is almost a must.

Anyway, after buying the zippo I still have bics in my BOB.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#37]
It's not a lighter that you can use like that.  I couldn't get fluid to stay in them for more than a week........they burn great, but you have to carry fluid around with you because once they are done, they are done.

Also, take a pair of pliers and pull the wick up about 1/8th in.  You will get a better flame.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I like them, I have a lot more than this, but these are the ones on my bar. The one in front was carried by my grandfather in Korea.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I love my Zippos, but mainly for the coolness factor. I just like the things. I mainly use Bics for carrying around and keeping in the BOB. However, as others have said, you can refill a Zippo with pretty much any flammable liquid, flints are laughably cheap and hundreds of them weigh almost nothing. So get a couple and flints and a couple small bottles of fluid, stash 'em away and forget about 'em until needed.

If your only concern is starting a fire get some firesticks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#41]
In my eyes, zippos are like 1911s. They're really neat, and it feels really awesome to handle one and use it, but there's simply no getting around the fact that they are ancient technology and made obsolete by cheaper and better modern technology. A drug store Bic lighter will outperform a zippo in pretty much every way.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I love Zippos. If you don't smoke, I would not get one for prepping/survival. I would get a simple pack of two or three Bics, keep them in the package and store them.

Zippos are kind of a pain in the butt but it's worth it if you use a lighter regularly.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Considering dude is a non-smoker, I cannot see any reason whatsoever for him to consider a Zippo.

It's completely impractical, as when he needs the damn thing, odds are, it'll be dry and useless.

Kind of irrelevant.

I don't smoke and I carry a Zippo.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of irrelevant.

It is relevant because you're filling a lighter constantly for no good fuckin' reason.

How often do you strike that zippo?

Unless you're a pyromaniac, you don't need fire very often in your daily life and would be better off with a Bic, or other lighter that doesn't have evaporating fuel and ongoing maintenance needs. Especially if the lighter will be forgotten about in a BOB in your trunk.

There is nothing WRONG with owning or carrying one, but it's just not the most practical tool for the job.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#45]
One of the important things is to make sure you buy an ACTUAL Zippo with Zippo internals.  I've never had a problem with a legit one, and I've never seen a "zippo style" rip off that worked worth a damn.

As mentioned, they need to be kept full and also the wick pulled out and trimmed.  I think that's why most people have problems with them.  They run them down, burn the wick and don't take care of it.
I've used mine in much worse conditions than bic lighters, and if a zippo is full, with a maintained wick they can stay lit in heavy wind by themselves, and actually have a blow torch effect.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I'd say stick with a bic. Cheap, runs just as long I think, and will last unused whereas zippos will dry out. Of course, it's been a decade since I've carried a zippo.

I carried the same bic for two years.  Just threw it away on sunday.

I don't smoke, so I 99% of the time I used it I was fucking around, not actually using it to light anything.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of irrelevant.

It is relevant because you're filling a lighter constantly for no good fuckin' reason.

How often do you strike that zippo?

Unless you're a pyromaniac, you don't need fire very often in your daily life and would be better off with a Bic, or other lighter that doesn't have evaporating fuel and ongoing maintenance needs. Especially if the lighter will be forgotten about in a BOB in your trunk.

There is nothing WRONG with owning or carrying one, but it's just not the most practical tool for the job.

Yes, it gets used. I work with smokers.

"Hey man, got a light?"

You do make a valid point about getting parked in a BOB though.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Maybe I missed it but nobody bothered to mention that Zippo repairs lighters for free.  I have sent I think two of them in.  Takes 4-5 weeks but when it came back it had completely brand new insides.  wick and flints.  Think they included a free flint or two.

Fluid might need to be added more often than once a week depending on how you smoke.  I always used a similar method that people use to pack their pack of cigarettes to get the fluid closer to the top.  Zippos work great.  You just have to keep them filled.  Yes its nice to be able to have the lighter stay lit more than 20 seconds.

Browsing their lighters they actually make ones out of silver.  I did not know that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top