BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand .mil contracts to refill used inventories, but why does a US .gov Agency (even though has multiple departments under the umbrella) need 750 mil + 450 mil rounds?  Im not a tin foil guy but this seems a bit weird since i dont remember the gov outside of the .mil needing so much ammo.  It "seems" odd.  Now granted this probably covers multiple calibers ranging from 5.56 to 9mm and 40 cal but it seems excessive since how many LE types work for the .gov?  now if this is a program to purchase ammo for local municipalities or state agencies (not that the .gov has the authority to do this and give them via grants)

They don't need 750m. That's just the contract ceiling. They're only obligated by the contract to buy 1000 rounds per year exercised.

Somebody in the contracts office probably said "Hey, anybody got a high number for this thing?" and somebody else took a SWAG. It really sucks to burn hot on an IDIQ and suddenly discover that in August you're gotten all you can get for the year.

Didn't they just do this same contract last year, or was that for different calibers?
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Where is the best place to get a good solid tinfoil helmet?

I think you're right. It's probably nothing...

...said the frog in the boiling pot.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Take it easy guys.  That shit's going to Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Fuck I wish I had their ammo budget

This, funny that they can just buy whatever they want and we pay for it without getting any spoils. I think we should be able to as taxpayers join in the "training" or at least be able to pick up the brass.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Preparing for an Obama loss?
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#6]
If Obama loses, the welfare rats will come storming out of the sewers...

...after they turn off their big screen TV's.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the government typically orders ammo in the quantity of 100s of billions

750M is like nothing

that's what they use, no kidding, to kill 1000 guys on the battlefield

I don't think you know how big 750 million is.

Or how small it is when talking govt purchases.

This is DHS.

750 million is a pretty big number by any metric.

If the 1000:1 ratio was used, you would expend 750000 rounds to kill one person on the battlefield. Regardless, this is for "training purposes" and is therefore aimed at a much smaller group of people than the military members that would be on the "battlefield" and making those billion unit plus orders.

think of it this way. its 750 MILLION ROUNDS. thats 750,000,000 rounds of ammo. if 1 officer shoots 1k a year thats enough ammo for....drum roll please 750,000 officers how many officers DOES DHS have?

well according to wikipedia they have 200,000 employees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Homeland_Security

if thats an ammo purchase for "training" for one year something is up something VERY fishy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Big Sis's outfit has a $50 Bn / yr budget (largest, most bloated, agency created in the history of U.S.)  We used to do that trick to trim the actual expenses closer to budget, to avoid shortfalls based on projected expense in the next year's budget.  Finally we were caught by GAO buying gold, then storing and reselling it for budget trim and the agency head came down on us like a ton of bricks.  Sounds like they may be up to the same tricks with ammo purchasing.  Let's see, that should fill in a $60 million hole in the expenditures nicely...probably originally budgeted and allocated for southern border security fence.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
357 Sig,nobody uses that shit anyway.

Actually Departments are starting to switch over the .357 round.  All Mississippi State Agencies I do belive have done so.  Wonder what kinda pricing they get on somehting like that  Hope it was'nt an internet order...
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If Obama loses, the welfare rats will come storming out of the sewers...

...after they turn off their big screen TV's.

put down their malt ligour and their crack pipes,
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#11]
The better answer to a better question... How many rounds have ARFcommers, Patriots, Republicans and Rednecks ordered this year?
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand .mil contracts to refill used inventories, but why does a US .gov Agency (even though has multiple departments under the umbrella) need 750 mil + 450 mil rounds?  Im not a tin foil guy but this seems a bit weird since i dont remember the gov outside of the .mil needing so much ammo.  It "seems" odd.  Now granted this probably covers multiple calibers ranging from 5.56 to 9mm and 40 cal but it seems excessive since how many LE types work for the .gov?  now if this is a program to purchase ammo for local municipalities or state agencies (not that the .gov has the authority to do this and give them via grants)

They don't need 750m. That's just the contract ceiling. They're only obligated by the contract to buy 1000 rounds per year exercised.

Somebody in the contracts office probably said "Hey, anybody got a high number for this thing?" and somebody else took a SWAG. It really sucks to burn hot on an IDIQ and suddenly discover that in August you're gotten all you can get for the year.

Didn't they just do this same contract last year, or was that for different calibers?

Different contract altogether.  This contract is for the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, and is for the next 5 years.  That's 150 million rounds a year to provide firearms training to tens of thousands of law enforcement officers from 91 Federal agencies as well as State, Local and Foreign agencies that train there.  150 million is a lot for one person to own, not so much when you consider how many thousands of rounds are expended daily.  A single officer will require as much as 2,000 rounds of ammo during 40 + hours of firearms training (how much would any of us use for a single carbine class?).  It really isn't that much when you figure in the sheer number of people being trained down there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually Departments are starting to switch over the .357 round.  All Mississippi State Agencies I do belive have done so.  Wonder what kinda pricing they get on somehting like that  Hope it was'nt an internet order...

USSS uses .357 Sig.  They are part of DHS and train at FLETC.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

750M is like nothing

This is DHS.

If the 1000:1 ratio was used, you would expend 750000 rounds to kill one person on the battlefield. Regardless, this is for "training purposes" and is therefore aimed at a much smaller group of people than the military members that would be on the "battlefield" and making those billion unit plus orders.

think of it this way. its 750 MILLION ROUNDS. thats 750,000,000 rounds of ammo. if 1 officer shoots 1k a year thats enough ammo for....drum roll please 750,000 officers how many officers DOES DHS have?

if thats an ammo purchase for "training" for one year something is up something VERY fishy.

lol
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

750M is like nothing

This is DHS.

The contract is for 5 years.  More ammo is used per officer during the initial training used at FLETC.  FLETC provides training for more than just DHS employees - they do it for 91 federal agencies as well as for state, local and foreign agencies.  Is this all making more sense now?
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Air Marshals?
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
they gunna do what they gunna do.............preparation is key

First post nails it.

Eventually they'll try something stupid. We just need to be ready.

Still.....

Agreed.

See my sig.......
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Air Marshals?

Them too
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey, they have to be ready. You guys don't get upset when a fellow ARFCOMMER buys preps do you?

Hessian-1

Arms races are so costly
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somebody in the contracts office probably said "Hey, anybody got a high number for this thing?" and somebody else took a SWAG. It really sucks to burn hot on an IDIQ and suddenly discover that in August you're gotten all you can get for the year. Or there was another contract that said 750m or whatever and the contract guy copied and pasted it.

Don;t confuse people with the actual facts.  You're harshing their PANIC!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#21]

There are over 240,000 people who work under DHS if all of them train that is rougly 3125 rounds per member each year.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Off to buy more ammo
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Virginia State Police uses it.

So does Texas DPS.  They love it.

Same with NCSHP
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
lol where are they going to store it

Inside the dead bodies of dissidents and right wing conservatives.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Why is this surprising to you guys? I can only imagine how many rounds are used by our military for combat and training. Hell, I bet every range I qualified on went through thousands of rounds in a single day for one unit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe obama is going to buy our votes with ammo. 1 crate of ammo to vote democrat

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Maybe obama is going to buy our votes with ammo. 1 crate of ammo to vote democrat

This could be quite a benefit, with all of my dogs and dead relatives each getting a crate.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#28]
....why the 30.06?
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

750M is like nothing

Interesting. Does anyone of a link to a copy of a government contract for ammo? How much ammo does are military keep on hand at any given time (small arms ammo)?5 billion rounds, 10 billion rounds, more?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top