Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2012 1:22:45 PM EDT
So i was watching the hunt for red october last night and I have some questions.

First, how does a submarine behave in a turn?  The film shows submarines banking in a turn as an airplane would, but given the sub doesn't have wings this doesn't make sense.  Seems to me the boat would stay level and everyone inside would get thrown to the outside of the turn.

Also, anytime there is active sonar it can be heard inside the ship.  Is this the case?  can you hear active sonar through the hull or is this just theatrics?

Not bitching about the movie being incorrect, just wondering what really happens.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The submariners are currently unavailable due to a previous engagement at the Buggery Club. They'll be along tomorrow afternoon to answer this.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
A submarine does bank like an airplane in a turn.

Active sonar can be heard through the hull if it was VERY close and powerful, however, what you hear is signal through the  boats hydrophones.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Subs do have "wings".
They have planes fore and aft.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Some sub classes behave a little funny in a high speed turn ("snap roll"; both pitch and roll affects).  At normal speeds, if you're not looking at a heading indicator, you wouldn't know you were turning.

You can definitely hear active through the hull.  It sounds like a short whistle though; not the "PING" you hear int eh movies.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Also, anytime there is active sonar it can be heard inside the ship.  Is this the case?  can you hear active sonar through the hull or is this just theatrics?

Not a submariner, but yes, if something is shining in the vicinity of the sub or "pinging" the boat, it will resonate through the hull and the crew will hear it.  Active sonar is very loud.  

ETA:  The "ping" sound that the crew all hears is the equivalent of suppressed guns that go "pew" in Hollywood.  Active sonar sounds more like a whistle, the "ping" sound is roughly what an operator would hear through his headphones upon the return of a signal if the sound reflects off of something with a drastically different sound velocity than the surrounding medium.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Subs do have "wings".

but planes have wings...
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Subs do have "wings".

He means like a plane.  Wings on a plane generate a ton of lift.  When you bank it, there's a portion of lift that's no longer vertical.  That's how planes turn; it's not the rudder.

Bow planes and stern planes on a sub don't generate a lot of lift compared to the weight of the ship.  Putting a roll angle on it isn't going to cause it to turn.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Remind me again what the red light is for?
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Remind me again what the red light is for?

Get eyes adjusted to see better in dark quicker?
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Subs do have "wings".

If a submarine were on an underwater treadmill ........
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#11]
300 sailors go down, 150 couples come up
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Subs do have "wings".

but planes have wings...

Yes, the wings are attached to the planes and the planes are then attached fore and aft. That's why (and this is a little known fact) submarines can fly.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's not gay underway.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Subs do have "wings".

an airplane turns because of lift vectoring.  Subs may have fore and aft control surfaces but I didn't think they made lift (other than to climb and descend through the water) because the boat is neutrally buoyant.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Subs do have "wings".

Don't tell the Air Force, they'll take them over as per the Key West Agreement.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I was hoping this was a Rolex thread!
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was hoping this was a Rolex thread!

keep watching, it's starting to get good...
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Subs do have "wings".

an airplane turns because of lift vectoring.  Subs may have fore and aft control surfaces but I didn't think they made lift (other than to climb and descend through the water) because the boat is neutrally buoyant.

Water is almost incompressible.  I don't think water develops high and low pressure areas like air does.

Hydroplane...
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Subs do have "wings".

but planes have wings...

Yes, the wings are attached to the planes and the planes are then attached fore and aft. That's why (and this is a little known fact) submarines can fly.

It's true, newer submarines can fly - however our atmosphere contains water vapor and subs only fly in "stealth mode" which makes them invisible.

I know this, and now that you've read it on the Internet - you know it's true too.

In addition, subs make banked turns like NASCAR cars - but only when turning left.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a submariner, but yes, if something is shining in the vicinity of the sub or "pinging" the boat, it will resonate through the hull and the crew will hear it.  Active sonar is very loud.  

ETA:  The "ping" sound that the crew all hears is the equivalent of suppressed guns that go "pew" in Hollywood.  Active sonar sounds more like a whistle, the "ping" sound is roughly what an operator would hear through his headphones upon the return of a signal if the sound reflects off of something with a drastically different sound velocity than the surrounding medium.

Interesting.  The only experience I have with "sonar" is with boat depth finders that produce a barely audible click, I always thought it would be relatively quiet given how well sound travels in water.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#25]
yaw will induce roll in a plane, due to the outside wing traveling faster than the wing closest to the apex of the turn.    In a sub, you would want to induce a roll so that it does not throw everyone off their feet, and I would assume, to counter act the roll that the weight of the conning tower would create opposite the turn.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  The only experience I have with "sonar" is with boat depth finders that produce a barely audible click, I always thought it would be relatively quiet given how well sound travels in water.

Yeah, sound travels efficiently in water but there are a lot of factors out in the sea that cause attenuation.  Factor in the distance that the wave has to travel and you need a pretty loud source if you want to get a meaningful return.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Subs do have "wings".

Subs can bank into a turn - for a sub with a cruciform arrangement of the control surfaces, the stern planes (horizontal) can have their flaps moved in opposite direction to provide differential lift like ailerons on a plane's wings.  The upper and lower rudders can be moved separately as well, producing the same effect. In short, subs are capable of coordinated turns, like airplanes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Subs do have "wings".

Subs can bank into a turn - for a sub with a cruciform arrangement of the control surfaces, the stern planes (horizontal) can have their flaps moved in opposite direction to provide differential lift like ailerons on a plane's wings.  The upper and lower rudders can be moved separately as well, producing the same effect. In short, subs are capable of coordinated turns, like airplanes.

Ok, this makes perfect sense, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a question....

Can subs make the internal atmosphere roughly equivalent to a few atmospheres greater than sea level?  in other words, can they pressurize internally?

If not, has the navy ever explored this possibility?  Obviously it introduces a whole other set of problems.  

I don't know that such a thing would be useful.  And only then in a very limited set of circumstances.

I know nothing about them so forgive me if it seems a ridiculous question.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Get it right if you are going to tell it.  151 guys submerge, 75 couples and a slut surface

you could feel turns if you were moving fast, normal speeds you couldn't.

Never heard active sonar outside of testing.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a question....

Can subs make the internal atmosphere roughly equivalent to a few atmospheres greater than sea level?  in other words, can they pressurize internally?

If not, has the navy ever explored this possibility?  Obviously it introduces a whole other set of problems.  

I don't know that such a thing would be useful.  And only then in a very limited set of circumstances.

Doubtful - for safety reasons.  I don't know at what depth (and time) decompression becomes necessary, but if a sub had to surface rapidly from an internal fire for example, the rapid decompression would be disasterous for the crew when the hatch was opened.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a question....

We try to maintain the atmosphere at 760Torr. The pressure goes up as air leaks O2 bleeds ect occur but then air charges(HP air compressors) are done and a balance is achieved over time. Hatches are designed(now) to allow for cracking and allowing the boat and atmosphere to equalize with out killing anyone. You can pressurize all you want, raise the O2 levels also. I have seen O2 so low that cigarettes would not stay lit and so high that they would be gone in one drag. Back in the olden times when you could smoke and cuss and shit in the Navy.[>://

My first boat the reactor tunnel door was not like that, sometimes when the compartments pressures were different and the door was on the latch vice dogged, someone would hit the latch and pressure would launch that fucker open, fun.

We also have a snorkel mast which we can raise above the surface and equalize the boat with atmosphere. Sometimes this has to be done when a "ballance" can't be achieved.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We try to maintain the atmosphere at 760Torr. The pressure goes up as air leaks O2 bleeds ect occur but then air charges(HP air compressors) are done and a balance is achieved over time. Hatches are designed(now) to allow for cracking and allowing the boat and atmosphere to equalize with out killing anyone. You can pressurize all you want, raise the O2 levels also. I have seen O2 so low that cigarettes would not stay lit and so high that they would be gone in one drag. Back in the olden times when you could smoke and cuss and shit in the Navy.[>://

My first boat the reactor tunnel door was not like that, sometimes when the compartments pressures were different and the door was on the latch vice dogged, someone would hit the latch and pressure would launch that fucker open, fun.

Thanks for the info.  Any particular reason for that specific pressure?

Also - regarding the doors:

Are they arranged such that they open to the fore of the ship, when in front of the "command" (forgive me I don't know the proper term) area, and open towards the aft when behind the command area?

Idea being, that if a compartment were to lose integrity the differential in pressure will hold the door closed, regardless if the latches are dogged.  And arranging the doors thus provides the most protection to the command compartment?
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a question....

I rode a nuke missile boat during Nam so my data is a little old. But even back in those dark ages we made our own oxygen out of sea water. (We always stayed submerged for over two months at a time while on patrol)  With that capability we could make as much compressed air as we wanted so I guess we could pressurize the entire boat. Not sure why we would want to tho. I don't think any human could withstand the pressure needed to neutralize the sub at crush depth, which even back then was well over 1200 ft. down.

We were told that at close to crush depth, a pin hole in the hull would fill the entire boat with water in a matter of minutes.

BTW: our air compressors had the capacity to store air in tanks up to 3000 psi. You needed that kind of pressure to generate enough volume to push sea water out of the ballast tanks so you could surface the sub.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So i was watching the hunt for red october last night and I have some questions.

First, how does a submarine behave in a turn?  The film shows submarines banking in a turn as an airplane would, but given the sub doesn't have wings this doesn't make sense.  Seems to me the boat would stay level and everyone inside would get thrown to the outside of the turn.

Not bitching about the movie being incorrect, just wondering what really happens.

Active sonar yes, we did an ASW exercise once and I can ID every sonar platform we posses by hearing it. My rack was along the hull.

Turns, sort of airplane like, important to understand how the ship acts at different speeds and depths; very steep learning curve, I'll leave it at that
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they arranged such that they open to the fore of the ship, when in front of the "command" (forgive me I don't know the proper term) area, and open towards the aft when behind the command area?

Idea being, that if a compartment were to lose integrity the differential in pressure will hold the door closed, regardless if the latches are dogged.  And arranging the doors thus provides the most protection to the command compartment?

760 torr = 14.7 psi or sea level pressure

Drunken edit:
WTF is with all of the systems for measuring pressure?
BAR
PSI
Kg/Cm^2
ATM
In Hg
MM Hg
In H2O
MM H2O
Torr
Pascal AKA n/m^2

Da fuck?
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Negative Ghost rider, 151 couples... Some Bastard is CHEATING!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I rode a nuke missile boat during Nam so my data is a little old. But even back in those dark ages we made our own oxygen out of sea water. (We always stayed submerged for over two months at a time while on patrol)  With that capability we could make as much compressed air as we wanted so I guess we could pressurize the entire boat. Not sure why we would want to tho. I don't think any human could withstand the pressure needed to neutralize the sub at crush depth, which even back then was well over 1200 ft. down.

We were told that at close to crush depth, a pin hole in the hull would fill the entire boat with water in a matter of minutes.

BTW: our air compressors had the capacity to store air in tanks up to 3000 psi. You needed that kind of pressure to generate enough volume to push sea water out of the ballast tanks so you could surface the sub.

Offshore divers like the ones who work on oil rigs dive VERY deep.  You might find this link interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturation_diving#Saturation_diving_depth_records

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

760T is normal atmospheric pressure.

Doors are set up for protection and containment of the reactor. The ship IS secondary containment.

Submarine warfare is a game of if you are found you are dead. If the hull is breached game over and you aren't going to float around on the surface awaiting pick-up. You will be instantaneously crushed into plankton chow. That's why it pays to be the best, the losers all die.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doors are set up for protection and containment of the reactor. The ship IS secondary containment.

Submarine warfare is a game of if you are found you are dead. If the hull is breached game over and you aren't going to float around on the surface awaiting pick-up. You will be instantaneously crushed into plankton chow. That's why it pays to be the best, the losers all die.

Out of curiosity, what is the point of escape training?

I'm guessing a hit with a Mk 48 equivalent  = you're fucked, but is there any chance those on board the Thresher or Scorpion could have escaped?

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, what is the point of escape training?

I'm guessing a hit with a Mk 48 equivalent  = you're fucked, but is there any chance those on board the Thresher or Scorpion could have escaped?

Makes mom's and wives feel better. Hell on my first boat when deployed our escape trunks were filled with laundry detergent.

No; legend has it Scopion's screw was twisted off the shaft which would lead one to believe the guys aft were alive as they watched their depth gage in manuvering, not a good day. Scopion and Threser crews were all dead before they got to the bottom.

RIP my brothers, glad I didn't put y'all three section.

Only survivable scenario would be a collision in shallow water returning or departing; everything else is blue water, mostly, sort of.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#42]
How are torpedoes loaded onto the sub?

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sn. Derp.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Removable deck plates and an angled weapons shipping(loading) hatch.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#45]
What's the difference between a marine and a submarine?

Nothing. A sailor will go down on either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Our engineer got his ass cheek pierced that way.  Heard the air whistling around the hatch, got stupid, and let go of the handle.  We were kind of surprised that he didn't end up pinned there with the door open; but it happened so fast that it bounced off the latch and went shut again.

"Conn, sonar, transient, ownship."
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Neighbor served on the USS Whale,what's left of her is in Idaho. Or Washington.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Our engineer got his ass cheek pierced that way.  Heard the air whistling around the hatch, got stupid, and let go of the handle.  We were kind of surprised that he didn't end up pinned there with the door open; but it happened so fast that it bounced off the latch and went shut again.  

"Conn, sonar, transient, ownship."

Ha, I'm surprised no one was killed by that friggin door.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Neighbor served on the USS Whale,what's left of her is in Idaho. Or Washington.

A buddy of mine served on the Whale; he told me when he was there they had a fat CO and when he was piped onboard,"Whale Arriving" , the topside watch would snicker. He made them stop announcing his arrival and departure. Funny shit
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Google, it's a motherfucker.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top