Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2012 6:12:15 PM EDT
Got to thinking based on some recent experience with them....in a metro area, with a few millions people and a lot of potential buyers.....say they sell a few cars per day...what kind of income are they getting?

Not talking exotics....just run of the mill normal people cars....from $10k up to $50k ish

Is there any money in that business if you are good and can close well?
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the person, the current economy, and the area.  Areas with higher cost of living will generally net higher pay for a salesman.

I have a friend that's done it for a few years in my area, made 6 figures one year, made 35 the next, and close to 6 figures again the next.  Nowand goes anywhere between 1.5k and 6k per month.  This is at a dodge dealership.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Too much. I'm trying to buy a car at the moment, and I swear they are making it more difficult. Averages three days of emailing to get a real price.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Do they make a salary or is it all commission on sales?
I'm guessing it's a lot of incentive pay.....but it doesnt seem like there is a ton of profit on cars, and the dealership must have a ton of overhead expenses.

Seems like a high turnover type of job....then again, I'm assuming things based on the few guys I've dealt with.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Ford dealer, We pay something like $550 every two weeks before taxes plus a percentage of the gross on a sale.
You don't sell, You starve.
A Chevy dealer in the area has a sign in the employee lunchroom that says " You must sell 7 units a week or Your Fired"

9 to 9, 5 days a week and You must work Fri and Sat and sometimes Sun if it falls on the end of the month. You have one day off mon-thurs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm guessing it's a lot of incentive pay.....but it doesnt seem like there is a ton of profit on cars, and the dealership must have a ton of overhead expenses.

Seems like a high turnover type of job....then again, I'm assuming things based on the few guys I've dealt with.

It is. Generally you'll have a few that hang at one place for a long time...but in general there is a lot of turnover.

And no clue on their payouts. I know the owners make a shit ton, though. Buddy of mine from HS married into a dealership, FIL died, so him/wife own it now. Millionaires.

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless a salesman has been at it many years he is not going to have much in the way repeat business yet so unless
he is a jim dandy salesman and really great (not good or just a self proclaimed people person) he will not sell 3 a day at all.
Selling anywhere near 30 a month retail (not fleet sales) would be excellent.
You get what you earn, not what you think your worth.
Family in the biz since the 50's
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I sell new dodges and used.

Most here average 40-60k a year. Top dogs in the company make 150-250 a year but have done it for a long time and have a huge referral and repeat business
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends, you can make a ton of money. Connections, Bilingual. The big money is in F&I
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
My friend owns a used car dealership here in NH. He, and his sales crew, average 60 cars a month sold. I had no idea they turned over that kind of volume. None of his salesmen are broke, and he's making a killing in the current economy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

It is. Generally you'll have a few that hang at one place for a long time...but in general there is a lot of turnover.

And no clue on their payouts. I know the owners make a shit ton, though. Buddy of mine from HS married into a dealership, FIL died, so him/wife own it now. Millionaires.

and free coffee too boot!

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Average for our company of 150 salesmen at 10 locations is 8-9 cars a month. Top dogs do 15-25 a month when they can.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like a predominantly full time gig....guessing there aren't many part time car dealers?
Is it the kind of thing that people can do on the weekends for extra cash?
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds like a predominantly full time gig....guessing there aren't many part time car dealers?

NO.
I don't know of any dealer that would do a part time gig.
Problem is a lot of deals are not done in a few hours and take lots of test drives, price bickering, coming back for financing and credit problems
Paperwork or co signer problems.
I have seen some deals go over a week trying to get it done.

Sounds like You might be better off delivering Pizza on the weekends.
I used to do that and made around 80-100 a night in tips an mileage and they would be cool with just a Fri,Sat night only deal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I worked as a car porter in highschool.  (92-93ish?)  One of the guys that I got to know pretty well and was a top seller there had an 85k year. it was big for  him.  Said he did 50-60k on average.  This was selling new Toyotas. However, he put alot of time into goofing off, didn't take many walk ins unless it was a prettyish female...  One thing he had going for him, was he did work.  Outside of work.  He grew up in a middle class community, and knew everyone. Overall was a pretty personal, guy.  He spent time at the local sports bars, and ran a book on the side. .....  What he did was network.  Alot.  He also exuded trust and likeability.

Then there were the guys who I think worked their rears off.  Lots of time on the floor.  Every walk in.  Re arranging the lot to kiss some owner butt, and doing all the side stuff that needed to get done.  I don't think the bottom rung did 35k on a decent year.  

There were some inbetween.  

That was just one lot, one type of car, and 20 years ago.  I don't think it would be something I'd like to do.  Especially when some poor working slob with a wife and kids, making meh money, trying to afford a mortgage walks in, isn't too bright and your job is to screw him on the trade in, and screw him on the financing,  pretty much screw him as hard as you can, to make that money.  I don't think I could do it.  (not all are I'm sure.)

In regards to the part time thing.  I dont' think so, especially in this sort of economy where people are looking for jobs.  You might get a gig as a trainee, but they are going to want more than 40 I'd guess.   We had one guy who was in college and started as a porter before my time.  He was on a light work schedual, and a good salesman.  He also had a good relationship with the owner, since he was a porter.  He was being groomed for more.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Tough gig.  I would not want to do it again.  8-10 cars a month is average.  Our minimum commission on a car was $100.  Most sales were at the minimum commission.  Some sales you made as much as a grand on... those sales feel good until you realize what you just did to your customer.  Like I said tough gig.  If I remember correctly most guys would pull 2-5 k per month.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Q: "What kind of income does a car salesman make?"
A: Usually one based on poor ethics.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I sucked as a car salesm man and made less than minimum wage. But I was in during the worst time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

if you just showed up on weekends (the busiest days) you would piss all of the other salesman off

there is money to be made, but you have to bust your ass. You hate to take days off because you are afraid to miss out on a sale.

and nothings worse than working a customer for a few hours, and then you find out another salesman helped them a week prior and he gets the sale.

and it really sucks when you have a customer that is ready to buy, you start the paperwork and find out they have a 450 fico score= FUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK

eta: used cars are where the moneys at. we would make 25% of the profit, but on new cars it would often be $100 per car

as for bonuses, we would get a $1k bonus at the 10th, 12th, 14th, and so on.  If someone bought an extended warranty, that was another $100 for the salesman.

So on the rare month you hit 20+ cars, you could make ALOT of money.

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Ive seen one make $7.25 an hour  (didnt sell any cars, was fired).

ive seen 2k-11k/month gross at a dealership.

The real money is made off used cars.  new cars the salesmen make $100.

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#20]
$100,000+ as salesman.  You have to be good, motivated, and in the right spot.

$100,000+ as upper management.  $300k - $500k isn't unheard of for General Managers and General Sales managers.  

Some guys in the service department make good money as well.

The hours, lifestyle, and co-workers suck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#21]
$87
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

$100,000+ as upper management.  $300k - $500k isn't unheard of for General Managers and General Sales managers.  

Completely off subject, but where did you get your avatar?
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are a real hard ass and enjoying screwing people over you can make some serious coin.

If you are honest and decent good luck to you.

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Depends on how good of a liar they are.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#25]
The good guys at our tote-the-note lot make right at $100k or so.  12 hour (or longer) days 6 ( 7)  days a week and NEVER a weekend off.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#26]
This is probably the biggest "it depends" question, I've ever seen asked on this site.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I have thought about this recently as I know people that work at toyota and Lexus dealerships. Guy I know at Lexus said if you suck you make 40-50k but would probably get fired . I think IDE like to try it as a part time gig see how it went but I doubt you can do that anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#28]
$87,000/yr
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ford dealer, We pay something like $550 every two weeks before taxes plus a percentage of the gross on a sale.
You don't sell, You starve.
A Chevy dealer in the area has a sign in the employee lunchroom that says " You must sell 7 units a week or Your Fired"

9 to 9, 5 days a week and You must work Fri and Sat and sometimes Sun if it falls on the end of the month. You have one day off mon-thurs.

Wow, really? Is that spelling error actually on the sign?
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Completely off subject, but where did you get your avatar?

I can answer this...

Mort Kunstler is the artist, "Putting on Nylons" is the title...

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I did it for 3 years. I did OK but not great. The hardest part was the other people I had to work with. As an example, the last place I worked at (KIA dealership) included a salesman with no teeth who gloated and bragged about his dating a 15-year old girl who he'd gotten pregnant.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:34:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Break it down to an hourly rate and you're making shit, then factory 1.5 time for Saturdays and double time for Sundays and you're getting killed. I live to work, not work to live. If I wanted to live at work i'd go back on the road traveling for work but it's just not worth my life hours lost for the money, although great money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top