Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the thing though, is equipment, specifically ammo DID have a ENORMOUS impact on the fight, and as a result, launched a huge breakthrough in ammo and terminal ballistics studies.
I.E. The second wound Matix received was to the head with a .38 special +p round, if McNiel had loaded .357, would it have killed him outright instead of termporarily knocking him out?  

Doves 9mm silvertip hit Plat in the arm and managed to "go through the deltoid, triceps  and teres major muscles, and severed the brachial arteries and veins. The bullet exited  the inner side of his upper arm near the armpit, penetrated his chest between the fifth  and sixth ribs, and passed almost completely through the right lung before stopping. The  bullet came to a rest about an inch short of penetrating the wall of the heart."

That in particular launched the development of better hollow points.   So to say that focusing on tools means missing most of what really mattered isn't the whole case.  

The wound that Matix recieved, and the wound that Platt recieved, at the onset of the shoot out, were both non survivable wounds.

Matix didn't get 'knocked out", he suffered a basular skull fracture.

His skull DETACHED from his spine at the base of his skull, a small part of the skull was still attached to the spine, but not to the rest of his skull.

Platt had severe bleeding, brachial artery, intercostal artery, lung, were all involved.

In most circumstances, people that suffer those kinds of injuries stop doing anything, and die soon after.

I've read that in 95% of the times a person the suffers a basular skull fracture dies immediately.

The FBI ran into 2 guys that weren't going to let silly mortal wounds stop them from fighting.
"The
 bullet hit Matix just forward of his right ear, below the temple, shattered the cheek
 bone, hit and fractured the base of the cranium, and entered the right sinus cavity under
 the eye. This hit bruised the brain (but did not penetrate the cranium or brain) and Dr.
 Anderson believes it most probably knocked Matix instantly unconscious.
"

"Dr. Anderson’s report is
 the most thoroughly researched and documented account of the FBI-Miami shoot-out that has
 ever been made public.
"

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs7.htm
Just going off what I have.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted: The FBI ran into 2 guys that weren't going to let silly mortal wounds stop them from fighting.
This is something that I've often wondered about. Not so much in regard to this incident, but to armed encounters between LEOs and criminals in general.

IMO, often times LEOs approach the events leading up to a shooting as part of their job. Whereas criminals approach things as part of their lifestyle.

They're mean, violent people, who often enjoy hurting people. They're looking for trouble. Gunning for a fight... no pun intended.

In that equation, the LEO is always going to be at a disadvantage. Lord knows, no LE academy is going to encourage their students to be heartless and vicious.

(Some of us just did that on our own. )

I'll be honest... I knew cops that were vicious, violent people, and... I didn't want them within 5 blocks of me while I was mediating a family dispute.

However... they'd be the first guys that I'd want next to me in gun fight.

Anyway... make of that what you want.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This confirms everything I learned in the Joint Special Operations Medical Training Center at Bragg.  I was familiar with the Miami Shootout as a kid, but when I learned the forensics behind it, my first question was:  "What are these guys's backgrounds?"  Not, "What caliber were they carrying, what type of bullets did the Feds use?"

That is where the real story lies, and it has NOT been told.

Sure its been told.  There are no "mysteries" about this shootout.

The bad guys were not supermen.  They were not even very good soldiers.  They were just determined and refused to quit, as long as they were able to fight.

Their military training had very little to do with the fight.

One guy did pretty much quit right away. This fight was carried out primarily by one person.

ETA: Perhaps "quit" is the wrong word. "knocked out early" would be better.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This confirms everything I learned in the Joint Special Operations Medical Training Center at Bragg.  I was familiar with the Miami Shootout as a kid, but when I learned the forensics behind it, my first question was:  "What are these guys's backgrounds?"  Not, "What caliber were they carrying, what type of bullets did the Feds use?"

The bad guys were not supermen.  They were not even very good soldiers.  They were just determined and refused to quit, as long as they were able to fight.

+1, look at the Trooper Coates shooting, where the bad guy in this instance was able to take 5 rounds to the chest and return one last fatal shot.  Blackburn was just a big fat crazy person.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
That's the thing though, is equipment, specifically ammo DID have a ENORMOUS impact on the fight, and as a result, launched a huge breakthrough in ammo and terminal ballistics studies.

I.E. The second wound Matix received was to the head with a .38 special +p round, if McNiel had loaded .357, would it have killed him outright instead of termporarily knocking him out?  

Doves 9mm silvertip hit Plat in the arm and managed to "go through the deltoid, triceps  and teres major muscles, and severed the brachial arteries and veins. The bullet exited  the inner side of his upper arm near the armpit, penetrated his chest between the fifth  and sixth ribs, and passed almost completely through the right lung before stopping. The  bullet came to a rest about an inch short of penetrating the wall of the heart."

That in particular launched the development of better hollow points.   So to say that focusing on tools means missing most of what really mattered isn't the whole case.  

The wound that Matix recieved, and the wound that Platt recieved, at the onset of the shoot out, were both non survivable wounds.

Matix didn't get 'knocked out", he suffered a basular skull fracture.

His skull DETACHED from his spine at the base of his skull, a small part of the skull was still attached to the spine, but not to the rest of his skull.

Platt had severe bleeding, brachial artery, intercostal artery, lung, were all involved.

In most circumstances, people that suffer those kinds of injuries stop doing anything, and die soon after.

I've read that in 95% of the times a person the suffers a basular skull fracture dies immediately.

The FBI ran into 2 guys that weren't going to let silly mortal wounds stop them from fighting.
"The  bullet hit Matix just forward of his right ear, below the temple, shattered the cheek  bone, hit and fractured the base of the cranium, and entered the right sinus cavity under  the eye. This hit bruised the brain (but did not penetrate the cranium or brain) and Dr.  Anderson believes it most probably knocked Matix instantly unconscious."

"Dr. Anderson’s report is  the most thoroughly researched and documented account of the FBI-Miami shoot-out that has  ever been made public."

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs7.htm

Just going off what I have.

That part is the basular skull fracture.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the biggest trainign scars taken from the event was the fact that at least one dead FBI agent was found with spent revolver casings in his pocket, just as he had been trained to do at Quantico.

You sure about that?
Especially considering that the two dead Agents were using 9mm.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

He is mixing up the Norco CA Bank Robbery shootout (CA Highway Patrol) with the Miami FBI shootout.  CHP Officers were found dead with empty brass in their shirt pockets.  They were not "trained" to do this but it is what they did during training back then.  When they reloaded they dumped the fired cases into their hands and put them in their pockets so they would not have to bend down later and pick them up.  May have cost them their lives.  It just goes to prove that in a stressfull actual shooting situation you fall back to your training and practice.

Train like you fight and fight like you train.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
So if these guys kept fighting out of sheer will and determination, can we apply that mindset to self-defense?

Can your mind convince your body, "You've taken 3 rounds to the chest, and you've got a punctured lung, you've got 2 minutes before you lose consciousness, get up and kill this motherfucker before he gets your family!" ?
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Dammit just agree with me he was "knocked out"    

Anyways, people are able to bounce back from some pretty wicked wounds.  My buddy survived internal decapitation and is up walking and living a semi normal life.  
Matix was able to regain enough to get to the other car, I wonder if given little more time, he could have gotten back in the fight?

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should have used a .40..

This

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So if these guys kept fighting out of sheer will and determination, can we apply that mindset to self-defense?

Can your mind convince your body, "You've taken 3 rounds to the chest, and you've got a punctured lung, you've got 2 minutes before you lose consciousness, get up and kill this motherfucker before he gets your family!" ?

Maybe?

The amount of chemical soup your brain shits in situations like that is AMAZING.  There are a TON of sub-concious actions and thoughts going before your conscious brain even decides to let you think "What should I do?"?
You can train, and train, and train, to get your body to the point where everything is nearly instinctive, then you still just have to rely on you having trained hard enough, that your brain allows you to use it.  

(I mean that all in a neutral way).

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does anyone here really believe that a different handgun caliber would have yielded a different result to this fight?

If you want to make the mistake of focusing on tools, rather than mindest, tactics, and training, we can do that easily, and nobody should disagree that they showed up to a gunfight with handguns against guys armed with long guns.

I can tell you from personal experience that handguns are not that great of a fight-stopper.

But this is all missing the point, in my opinion.

Hardened killers with around 20 years of military experience between them, one at least in combat arms units, is not the kind of suspect profile anyone looks forward to trying to arrest, especially given the fact these guys seemed not to care about being seen gunning others down in the past.

The FBI will never be able to put its agents through what an 11B goes through on even a daily, let alone weekly basis because the focuses are worlds apart, so there is already a disadvantage as to pain & stress tolerance, combined with the demand to make rapid decisions in life or death scenarios.  A guy who has strained under a rucksack for 12 miles before hitting the ORP, then executing live-fire battle drills on the objectives has a certain inestinal fortitude that few others in the world do.  A guy who has done enough to be good at it, and then function as a leader in it is a formidable threat if he goes off the reservation in civilian life.

To the LEO who turns his nose up at such an opponent, thinking that all the training he has done will be far superior to what Platt's profile was, he's never had the opportunity to even know if he is man enough to do it at even an entry-level capacity of a Private, unless he has the same military background.  Teamwork and pressing the fight with a tight-knit group of fellow officers is the only chance of success in these scenarios if you have to duke it out with just 2 similarly-trained guys like Platt/Matix.  .40/10mm/+P+ are not going to be determining factors, especially if they are armed with long guns.

Don't bring a pistol to a rifle fight is the lesson.   The PD's in my area now all have carbines in the trunk and it's good that they do because they won't be outgunned except against a tank.  It's a shame that they had to learn the hard way but they learned.

I think the perp's backgrounds could have some bearing on their mindset during the fight, but really the key here is that for whatever reason, they wouldn't quit.  Adrenalin is a hell of a drug.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes,the problem is training this into people who are not naturally predisposed to it (MOST are not).  Lots of time and effort goes into training Infantrymen,Marines,and street cops to be able to get aggressive and carry the fight to bad guys.  Even then some (most) don't really get it.  I would imagine it would be harder to prorgam the accountant or UPS driver who is not surrounded by an environment that promotes violence daily to do it.  Not sure you want to......

Like Runcible said,people who are really good at violence generally aren't good at much else.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unreal....

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, my bad.  I'm short on sleep and long on flu right now, 5000 miles away from home, and the bed I have sucks gluteal fold warts.

Training is what the Miami shootout was about, and we have heard very little detail on it for all the parties involved.

People who have been conditioned to live in physically abusive training regimens and succeed will usually excel when things go south.  The same goes for the street gangs who "jump" each other in at young ages, with extreme physical violence, while students of McDojo martial arts practice in sanitized, organized training sessions that very seldom resemble violence.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The standard FBI practice at the time was that you had to use the 38+P initially in your revolver.  You could use 357 rounds after that.  But the agents were

using 38 ammo .  There was no 357 magnum ammo involved.  

Agents told me that some agents did carry 357 magnum rounds and it was allowed but policy was you could only use them after you fired the first 6 rounds of 38 ammo.  

herp-derp

Dumbass policy fail.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Don't bring a pistol to a rifle fight is the lesson.   The PD's in my area now all have carbines in the trunk and it's good that they do because they won't be outgunned except against a tank.  It's a shame that they had to learn the hard way but they learned.

Most PDs did not learn this lesson after Miami. It would take another decade for them to learn it from North Hollywood Shootout.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most PDs did not learn this lesson after Miami. It would take another decade for them to learn it from North Hollywood Shootout.

Unfortunately correct.

And many still haven't learned the lesson.

Listen to the old guy, he knows of what he speaks...

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mireles 12 Ga. ended the fight, his 357 just made sure it STAYED ended...

Good point.

Pellet wounds to the feet rarely stop gunfights.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Did the official FBI reenactment of the firefight ever become available to the general "non-LEO" public?

eta: Here's the FBI's records in PDF on the firefight
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#22]
In this case, would rifles in the trunk even made for a difference in the outcome?
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yes.  Lots of people die from survivable wounds or situations because that's what they think is supposed to happen.

And lots of people do crazy heroic shit because they are just to stubborn to die.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In this case, would rifles in the trunk even made for a difference in the outcome?

I guess if they had been able to get to them.
IIRC one agent had a shotgun in his backseat, but he couldn't get to it because of the incoming fire.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately correct.

And many still haven't learned the lesson.

Seeking an equipment solution to a training/mind set problem is what we always seem to do.
Military/police/ or whatever.

Until you see their brains outside their skull, the fight is still on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In the trunk, no.  Because one of the other things to come from this incident is a lesson about deploying equipment.  At least two of the FBI agents that were riding solo had a shotgun in the car.  However, the shooting started so quickly that neither was able to deploy the shotgun.  The only agent who deployed a shotgun was Mireles, who was riding with another agent.  Other agents left body armor in the car because they couldn't grab it quickly enough.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe?

The amount of chemical soup your brain shits in situations like that is AMAZING.  There are a TON of sub-concious actions and thoughts going before your conscious brain even decides to let you think "What should I do?"?

You can train, and train, and train, to get your body to the point where everything is nearly instinctive, then you still just have to rely on you having trained hard enough, that your brain allows you to use it.  

The Answer to this is YES, I had a friend who taught that after he survived the encounter that eventually killed him.
He took hits to the chest that severed his spine, as he lay there bleeding out and unable to do more than orient his pistol upward from the waist.
the shooter approached to execute him (finish the job) and he fired a single shot upward through that man, and the guy fell on top of him dead.
He used to travel around doing motivational speaking after that incident, one of the rounds that put him in the wheel chair was not removable so they left it there.
it migrated around somehow and killed him several years later. He spoke on Mindset and Surviving deadly encounters.
If you are shot at you are not hit
if you are hit you are not dead
if you are dead you don't know it.

I fired honors at my friends funeral at the personal request of his wife. I was the guard captain that day.

The Bottom line is that you DO NOT QUIT EVER....
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I attended a federal LE training course where Agent Ed Mirales was a guest lecturer for a full day.  He covered the Miami shoot out in detail and used portions of the FBI investigation into the shooting to reconstruct what happened at the shooting.  He's a humble guy who will tell you he is lucky to have lived that day.  One thing to remember was that the way they contacted Platt and Maddox was not what they anticipated and Platt and Maddox executed the offense in the contact with the agents being on the defense.  The agents had developed Platt and Maddox as suspects and started conducting what they believed would be a surveillance of the suspects and maybe observe them commit a robbery and confront them.  They didnt anticipate that Platt and Maddox would make the surveillance and allow the agents to follow them until Platt and Maddox were ready to shoot it out with the agents.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I attended a federal LE training course where Agent Ed Mirales was a guest lecturer for a full day.  He covered the Miami shoot out in detail and used portions of the FBI investigation into the shooting to reconstruct what happened at the shooting.  He's a humble guy who will tell you he is lucky to have lived that day.  One thing to remember was that the way they contacted Platt and Maddox was not what they anticipated and Platt and Maddox executed the offense in the contact with the agents being on the defense.  The agents had developed Platt and Maddox as suspects and started conducting what they believed would be a surveillance of the suspects and maybe observe them commit a robbery and confront them.  They didnt anticipate that Platt and Maddox would make the surveillance and allow the agents to follow them until Platt and Maddox were ready to shoot it out with the agents.

probably had as much to do with the outcome as anything.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I think MadCap72 makes a good point about more effective weapon and ammo changing the outcome. Intestinal fortitude doesn't matter if bullet hits your spine or shreds your heart. There is limit on how much the body can take before it can't function. The job of ammo and weapons is to get you past that limit as fast as possible.

Also LrrpF52 is definitely onto something here. Their military backgrounds decided a lot of what happened. The weapons they chose, how they used them, the tactics and mindset. A big lesson the military teaches is you don't stop just because it hurts a little. They want you to keep going even though it hurts and not stop until your body physically quits on you. You can see the influence of their training with  Platt's "closing with and destroying the enemy".

In this and in other similar incidents you can see that when law enforcement goes up against something that is way outside the norm they often pay a big price. Most criminals who fight are fighting because they want to get away not because they want to fight the cops. And the ones that do want to fight are often nuts and don't have the skills or weapons, strength etc. to do it well enough. When law enforcement runs into someone who wants to fight, has the skills to fight, and has the tools to fight, they are in for a bad day. If their opponent knows they are in for a fight today and the cops don't, then they are in for a really bad day.

There is a reason people always talk about tools and equipment when something like this happens. It's easy enough to buy a bigger hammer. When it comes to confronting people like Platt and Mattix it isn't so simple. The tactics that the military teaches may not be applicable to a civilian law enforcement setting. Suppressive fire is great on a foreign battleground but no one wants people doing that in their neighborhood. Cops aren't supposed to inflict enemy casualties or take ground the way soldiers do it is a way of thinking that works for soldiers but could be a disaster for police. Law enforcement naturally bases their tactics against the people they usually confront. The junkie robbing a convenience store with a .25 that may or may not be loaded. Taking cover behind your vehicle and calling for backup is a good idea in that situation. You don't want to close with this guy and shoot it out because that brings all sorts of liability and you are hoping he will just give up and fight it out in court. If you run into someone like Platt those same tactics can get you killed.

Runcible brought up a good point about the sort of people you have to worry about, "mean and violent". It reminds me of a report the FBI came out with a while ago. They found that the average cop killer spent more time practicing with their weapon than the officer's that they killed. The bad guys who actually killed a cop were people that had practiced drawing and shooting their weapons. Some one who had actually planned this enough to actually go out and practice. Not the sideways shooting idiots I would have expected. There are bad guys out their who train and want to do this, same as their are good guys who train and sort of want to use that training.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Agent Mirales stated as a result of this incident part of what happened is a result of "luck".  Good luck, bad luck.  The agent that was the best shot lost his glasses.  One of the agents lost his gun when his vehicle was involved in a collision.  Platt and Maddox should have been incapacitated from the number of shots they had taken, they just did not realize that at the time.  Mirales said that he has spoke to people who refuse to believe that luck plays any role in situations like this, attributing the outcome to factors of skill and performance.  But Mirales says luck (or "time" and "chance" as he refers to it for those that dont  believe in luck) came into play several times.  When Agent Mirales was shot, he had just raised his shot gun to avoid shooting an agent in front of him while Mirales was moving.  He took a 223 round to the left forearm.  If you see a picture of Mirales back then, he was pretty huge and muscular as he lifted weights alot.  He is sure that the act of raising his shotgun, bringing his left forearm up by his chest and the fact that he had bone and muscle mass where that 223 round hit, saved him from worse injury.  He described going into light shock after being shot and it taking a few moments to kick in that he was shot, seeing his arm and knowing it was not good, but ultimately realizing he had been shot and his friends were being hurt made him very focused.   He also realized after the shooting that he probably came very close to being shot by the responding officers.  This was Miami in the 80's during the cocaine hey day.  Responding officers saw a large, muscular, hispanic male pointing a handgun at an FBI car (Maddox and Platt got into one of the FBI sedans to try to drive away) and shooting 2 white males.  Time and chance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Did the official FBI reenactment of the firefight ever become available to the general "non-LEO" public?

If you mean the VHS tape with Agent interviews, I never saw it on any public place, though it made the rounds. I think it was at most FOUO. I think the biggest problem was it was pre-Internet and few folks knew of it and since it was VHS it was not easy to share as things are now.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Watching the video again tonight and looking at the autopsy photo, the 9mm went through the arm first, then got stuck in the lung, which was ultimately a mortal wound.

9mm or not, that's a lot of meat to shoot through with a handgun!
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you mean the VHS tape with Agent interviews, I never saw it on any public place, though it made the rounds. I think it was at most FOUO. I think the biggest problem was it was pre-Internet and few folks knew of it and since it was VHS it was not easy to share as things are now.

There are interviews with the Agents? Dang it, I want to see it even more now...

As far as I know it is FOUO, but figured it would of gotten out to the general public by now.
But the reason you give is a pretty common sense reason it wasn't.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I would like to read more about how these guys got weapons from people. It was written that they would haunt shooting areas and kill people to obtain guns. Has there been a comprehensive list of possible victims/crimes related to these two men?
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe?

The Answer to this is YES, I had a friend who taught that after he survived the encounter that eventually killed him.

He took hits to the chest that severed his spine, as he lay there bleeding out and unable to do more than orient his pistol upward from the waist.

the shooter approached to execute him (finish the job) and he fired a single shot upward through that man, and the guy fell on top of him dead.

He used to travel around doing motivational speaking after that incident, one of the rounds that put him in the wheel chair was not removable so they left it there.

it migrated around somehow and killed him several years later. He spoke on Mindset and Surviving deadly encounters.

If you are shot at you are not hit

if you are hit you are not dead

if you are dead you don't know it.

I fired honors at my friends funeral at the personal request of his wife. I was the guard captain that day.

The Bottom line is that you DO NOT QUIT EVER....

Went to "Street Survival" years ago. (Yeah, I'm that old.)

After the seminar was over, they gave you a wallet card that had motivational ideas on it.

While not the same language... it encompassed everything you posted.

One thing I've always remembered:

85% of all gunshot wounds are survivable.

Almost half of all fatal gunshot wounds are instantaneously fatal.

Therefore, if you're shot, and you know that you're shot...

Chances are, you'll live... if you keep fighting.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are interviews with the Agents? Dang it, I want to see it even more now...

As far as I know it is FOUO, but figured it would of gotten out to the general public by now.

Yup. pre-internet VHS. Technology can be the reason. Besides, the video linked here is almost correct from what I hear.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Very interesting information. I remember sitting through classes based on this incident in the early 1990's when I started in Law Enforcment. That was a wake up call for sure in LEO circles about what happens if dealing with trained motivated suspects.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe it's called "Firefight."  I was looking for it online a year or so ago and found referernces to it being shown at a firearms instructor's conference sometime that year. Evidently there was a copy available on the net for conference participants to download but it was removed after the conference. So, it does exist in digital form and someone out there has to have a copy.

I've thought of making a FOIA request for it but I'm not 100% sure of the process.

Link Posted: 8/8/2012 12:44:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Found the FBI official video on youtube I think with the agents involved talking about it.  Very interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlSCE88UhyA
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Found the FBI official video on youtube I think with the agents involved talking about it.  Very interesting

Well, hell. That looks like the one!
Just uploaded a couple of weeks ago, too.

Thanks! I've been looking for that for decades!
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#44]
While the outcome of the shooting may or may not have changed if the agents had been using "XYZ" caliber pistol... and the focus should most definately be "tactics", one shouldn't ignore the importance of carrying the most effective caliber/pistol combo possable.

Think about this..... there are literally hundreds of variables that can affect your chances of survival in a gunfight.  Your experience/training (not to mention your opponant's).... lighting, cover, weather..... dumb luck.   And you really can't control any of them, except one.   What "tool" you bring to the job.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for posting this.....I remember seeing it years ago...
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 4:37:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Link Posted: 8/8/2012 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

If you approach the famed FBI Miami shootout from a perspective focused on tools, you have missed most of what really mattered.

The FBI guys actually were making excellent hits on Platt and Matix, including hits with 9mm JHP's.

The FBI agents executed excellent vehicle fighting tactics as far as using vehicles to constrain and control their opponents, channelizing and halting them between other parked cars.

Some executed fateful techniques regarding control of their personal equipment and weapons. Ex: glasses falling off, handgun placed on the seat flew on the floor upon vehicle impact.

They used about as good pistol marksmanship as you could ask as far as shot placement was concerned, but they were not fighting the fight-they were trying to shoot the fight to win.

They were doing this against killers who had spent significant portions of their lives shooting, moving, and communicating while under extreme physical pain and stress.

There has yet to be written an appropriate literary or electronic work on the fundamental aspects that yielded the results of the Miami shootout, since every one I have read has been a focus on equipment, particularly the calibers of the handguns used, and marksmanship. The specifics of how Platt and Matix were trained have only been brushed over, with mentions of their military service in broad terms.

One of the biggest training scars taken from the event was the fact that at least one dead FBI agent was found with spent revolver casings in his pocket, just as he had been trained to do at Quantico.

.38+P+ and 12 GA have almost nothing to do with the outcome of this crucial event in US LE history. Closing with and destroying the enemy did in the end, at point blank range.

Yeah, except that's counter to ... well, everything written and learned about the incident. Ammunition was the failure in this case, and is the reason the FBI created their ammunition testing protocols.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 4:47:18 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Found the FBI official video on youtube I think with the agents involved talking about it. Very interesting

Tag to download at home later.

Also, there was a podcast interview with a Chicago PD veteran involved in some ungodly number of shootings. It's long, but has some INVALUABLE information. Including the story of him and his partner unloading a j-frame, a .44 magnum and a .357 magnum (IIRC) into a bad guy it it took 10 days for the guy to eventually die in the hospital.  It was posted here a year or two back.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 5:02:57 AM EDT
[#49]
There Re 6 large. Freedom of Information Act.  Reports available on the FBI website. They have a lot of redacted sections but are a good read. They Include a complete inventory of all cars in the fight with an ammo and gun list.

The bad guys were using crap Chinese .223 ammo  and #6 shot. Things would have been worse for the good guy's if they had made different choices.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 5:09:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Should have used a .40..

The .38 round got the job done. How much more dead that dead do you want?

BTW, the only .40 caliber rounds available then were the 10mm and the .38-40 WCF.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top