Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2012 5:33:01 PM EDT
they all get up to the pool , preparing to swim, and they damn near bathe themselves in the pool water. Some of them actually put the water in their mouth. Are they just getting their body acclimated to the pool water temp ? The divers even have a hot tub to get in before and after their dive. One chick would take a little towel with her everywhere and use it to squeeze out water over herself then drop the towel on the floor only to pick it up a bit later and squeeze out more water on herself and even in her mouth.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
All product athletes do stupid shit. If you put 3 tees in one golfers pocket he'll fuck up all day long, he wants 2 tees in there. If doing some routine before I compete in the Olympics is what has been working, I'd keep doing it as long as I needed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Athletes of any sport have weird routines and superstitions.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
i noticed this also. You think they put new water in the pool just because it's the big O?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
You have to 'become' the pool, Grasshopper.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
In to read about other strange things pro athletes do.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#6]
My guess is it would be to let your swim wear get wet so it does not catch, pinch, bind on your skin during entry.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
think any of em pee in the pool ?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Most people don't realize that swimmers have more highly developed olfactory and taste organs than humans do.  They are able to sense the different levels of estrogen and testosterone left in the water by their competitors and can work out a social order among themselves without having to fight for it.

Or,

They just like to taste each others piss.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Getting Wet
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I saw one of the divers hock a loogie into the hot tub. It wasn't just spitting out some water.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#11]
It's called gettin' fired up!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Just before an IDPA match, I always pick my nose to get my booger hook prepped and ready
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Many of the swimmers have swim suits are scientifically designed to reduce drag (you will notice the men have no body hair to reduce drag). I was told by a competitive swimmer that the suits must be wet to reduce drag when entering the water (diving in). Not doing so, we are talking small fragments of a second, will take time for the suits to saturate. And yes this is a fraction of a second, but every 100th of a second saved might make a difference in a winning time.

I understand many of the high tech swim suits must be wet when they put them on to get a tight/smooth fit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Many of the swimmers have swim suits are scientifically designed to reduce drag (you will notice the men have no body hair to reduce drag). I was told by a competitive swimmer that the suits must be wet to reduce drag when entering the water (diving in). Not doing so, we are talking small fragments of a second, will take time for the suits to saturate. And yes this is a fraction of a second, but every 100th of a second saved might make a difference in a winning time.

Wouldn't they be faster if they just dive in nekkid?

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do believe that bare breasts in women and dangling male genitalia would actually cause drag!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  The suits minimize drag and friction that would otherwise be affected by the skin.  Ian Thorpe wore a full-body suit and won many of his medals because of this.  They banned full-body suits and he tried getting back into the swing of things and really hasn't done shit since.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Those suits are more water-dynamic. If that's even a word. Many many hours of engineering go into the development of those suits to shave a thousandths of a second of a time. Every bit saved counts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Is this your first time watching the Olympics, Sparky?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Those suits are more water-dynamic. If that's even a word. Many many hours of engineering go into the development of those suits to shave a thousandths of a second of a time. Every bit saved counts.

Hydrodynamic.

You guys are no fun. I was just being a pervert and you have to respond with science.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Those suits are more water-dynamic hydrodynamic. If that's even a word. Many many hours of engineering go into the development of those suits to shave a thousandths of a second of a time. Every bit saved counts.

fify. edit: damn, beat

I didn't know that the full body suits had been banned, was wondering why I haven't seen any of the swimmers wearing them
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Who the fuck is Sparky?

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#23]
They're just psyching the water out.

When I played college football, I used to punch myself in the balls in view of the opposing bench. I figured if they thought I'd do that to my own balls, imagine what I'd do to someone I didn't even like.

Now, of course this wasn't 100% effective and my first born had some genetic problems but it was sound logic at the time.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who the fuck is Sparky?

Duh.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My crotch fro would be like me dragging a trawling net.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the visual.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We use to lean over and tell the other guy "I peed in your lane"  Right before the race.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Since we're discussing Olympic swimmer/diver weirdness, what's up with the big band-aid looking things?  

I've seen them on backs, arms, and legs, and they aren't placed in any way that suggests, to me anyway, that they're supporting a joint like you'd wrap a knee in an ace bandage.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#31]
you'd do weird shit too if you had stared at that black line for 20,000 yds a day, six days a week, for going on a decade. You almost have to have a screw loose somewhere to swim at that level.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Since we're discussing Olympic swimmer/diver weirdness, what's up with the big band-aid looking things?  

I've seen them on backs, arms, and legs, and they aren't placed in any way that suggests, to me anyway, that they're supporting a joint like you'd wrap a knee in an ace bandage.

Ballast.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Athletes of any sport have weird routines and superstitions.

Very true statement. I have a good many friends that played serious college sports and others that are involved in professional baseball. I have heard and seen all sorts of odd stories about baseball players and their odd tendencies.

Mark Fidrych used to do all sorts of odd things. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Fidrych

Wade Boggs had a few odd things too.

Boggs was known for his superstitions. He ate chicken before every game (Jim Rice once called Boggs "chicken man"), woke up at the same time every day, took exactly 117 ground balls in practice, took batting practice at 5:17, and ran sprints at 7:17.[4] His route to and from his position in the field beat a path to the home dugout. He drew the Hebrew word "Chai", meaning "life", in the batter's box before each at-bat, though he is not Jewish.[11] He asked Fenway Park public address announcer Sherm Feller not to say his uniform number when he introduced him because Boggs once broke out of a slump on a day when Feller forgot to announce his number.[12]

Bottom line, all top athletes have some odd thing that they "have" to do before a competition.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_therapeutic_tape
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My guess is it would be to let your swim wear get wet so it does not catch, pinch, bind on your skin during entry.

That was my guess too.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#37]
If you think it makes a difference, it does.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#38]
[/quote]

My crotch fro would be like me dragging a trawling net.[/quote]

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#39]
"I've got a linebacker who hasn't washed his jock strap in two years because he thinks flies are lucky"
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Think Link from the Mod Squad.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_therapeutic_tape

Aha!  Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Kensieo tape

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If you think it makes a difference, it does.

I think I'm Peter North.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Those suits are more water-dynamic hydrodynamic. If that's even a word. Many many hours of engineering go into the development of those suits to shave a thousandths of a second of a time. Every bit saved counts.

fify. edit: damn, beat

I didn't know that the full body suits had been banned, was wondering why I haven't seen any of the swimmers wearing them

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many times do you think you could stand to hear the exchange:

"Damn, this water's cold"
"Yeah, deep too"

While waiting on the starting block?
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I just read that most divers will dry themselves off to make sure they can grip their legs when twisting and flipping. Some divers actually believe that diving wet makes for a cleaner splash. You see them with their little chamois towels.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes, splashing water on yourself does help you to acclimatize...even if only just a little bit.

I remember being on the swim team in high school. One team kept their pool cold and it would shock the shit out of visiting teams when they dove in. That "WHOA!" moment as you hit the cold water made a difference.

Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cock and balls = high drag

As would a vagina, ass and tits.

Compression suits work great at streamlining the female body.

Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

they all get up to the pool , preparing to swim, and they damn near bathe themselves in the pool water. Some of them actually put the water in their mouth. Are they just getting their body acclimated to the pool water temp ? The divers even have a hot tub to get in before and after their dive. One chick would take a little towel with her everywhere and use it to squeeze out water over herself then drop the towel on the floor only to pick it up a bit later and squeeze out more water on herself and even in her mouth.

How about the backstroke swimmer who splashed water on herself, then on her head, before jumping in the pool?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top