BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Mark Fidrych used to do all sorts of odd things.

Yeah, like dive to catch a batting practice ball. How did that work out for him...

Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Many of the swimmers have swim suits are scientifically designed to reduce drag (you will notice the men have no body hair to reduce drag). I was told by a competitive swimmer that the suits must be wet to reduce drag when entering the water (diving in). Not doing so, we are talking small fragments of a second, will take time for the suits to saturate. And yes this is a fraction of a second, but every 100th of a second saved might make a difference in a winning time.

I understand many of the high tech swim suits must be wet when they put them on to get a tight/smooth fit.

Those suits have been banned for years.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many of the swimmers have swim suits are scientifically designed to reduce drag (you will notice the men have no body hair to reduce drag). I was told by a competitive swimmer that the suits must be wet to reduce drag when entering the water (diving in). Not doing so, we are talking small fragments of a second, will take time for the suits to saturate. And yes this is a fraction of a second, but every 100th of a second saved might make a difference in a winning time.

Wouldn't they be faster if they just dive in nekkid?

No.

Those suits are more water-dynamic. If that's even a word. Many many hours of engineering go into the development of those suits to shave a thousandths of a second of a time. Every bit saved counts.

hydrodynamic
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top