Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2012 11:15:19 AM EDT
http://www.mycenturylink.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CDA0BCGJ80%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1016

Peter Jackson is adding a third film to what was planned to be the two-part series "The Hobbit."

I didn't even know it was going to be a two-part thing, I thought it was just a single movie. But that's cool. More stuff to watch.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://www.mycenturylink.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CDA0BCGJ80%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1016

Peter Jackson is adding a third film to what was planned to be the two-part series "The Hobbit."

I didn't even know it was going to be a two-part thing, I thought it was just a single movie. But that's cool. More stuff to watch.

I am OK with that. I enjoyed the last ones, and am not the one to bitch about insanely long movies, or those broken up into parts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have mixed feelings about these news. The LotR was excellent and conformed to a movie trilogy very well (probably due to its origin as a trilogy of books), but I'm not entirely sure if there's enough material in the Hobbit to make three feature films.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have mixed feelings about these news. The LotR was excellent and conformed to a movie trilogy very well (probably due to its origin as a trilogy of books), but I'm not entirely sure if there's enough material in the Hobbit to make three feature films.

He intends to inject LOTR backstory into the Hobbit, to give more of a natural history to Middle Earth.

I plan to see all 3.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#5]
no problem with it...Jackson and crew have done an amazing job from what I've seen in his vlogs. These movies are going to rock.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
smaug's death will end the 2nd hobbit-the third is the prequel to lord of the rings: return of sauron aka the neck, fall of this an that city, maybe even some moria action...pretty cool.  I love it
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't fracking wait !!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Since the Dark Knight Rises came out (and sucked) I have a hard time trusting those so-called "good" filmmakers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sure there is, if you include material in that era covered in the LOTR Appendicies.  There the whole Dol Guldur incidient not dealt with in the book proper, and lots and lots of other stories, such as Aragorn's adeventures as Thorngil in Gondor and Rohan.  Heck, you could probably 10 movies form all the stuff they have access to.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#10]
After a couple marathon sessions of LotR Extended Editions, I'm so over that whole universe. The Hobbit was a fun little book but I think Jackson is a bit too in love with Middle Earth.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Since the Dark Knight Rises came out (and sucked) I have a hard time trusting those so-called "good" filmmakers.

I don't trust your judgement if you thought The Dark Knight Rises sucked.

However, the LOTR crap is nothing but a series of expensive films of people walking everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, the LOTR crap is nothing but a series of expensive films of people walking everywhere.

And I don't trust your judgement if you thought LOTR sucked.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you had me, then lost me
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Weren't there rumors of a Beren and Luthien movie in the wroks?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
After a couple marathon sessions of LotR Extended Editions, I'm so over that whole universe. The Hobbit was a fun little book but I think Jackson is a bit too in love with Middle Earth.

If it made you hundreds of millions, you'd be all over it too!  

I bet this trilogy makes MEGABUCK$$$$$!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I am okay with this.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nope.  The Tolkien Estate still owns the Silmarillion and they HATE the idea of the movies.  Whatever.  I love the books AND the movies.  Fuck the haters.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  The Tolkien Estate still owns the Silmarillion and they HATE the idea of the movies.  Whatever.  I love the books AND the movies.  Fuck the haters.....

So the first war of the ring will never be made into a movie then?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#19]
That's good!  It means he will not have to cut out a bunch of good scenes to satisfy the "I hate long movies" people like he did on LOTR.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on whether the family will allow the rights to be released.  After Christopher Tolken dies (JRR's son) we will see if the family is
interested in releasing the rights.

I think the Silmarillion would make a better mini-series on HBO like "Rome" than a movie.  Too much stuff to cover.  I think it would be great though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not, assuming you're referring to Sauron's initial rise as the Lord of the Rings.... at least nothing more than we we saw in the prologue to the first film.  I'd personally love to see a film about Angmar Vs. Arnor as well, though Jackson kind of edited the idea of Arnor out for simplicity's sake.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Comparing the writers of Batman to Tolkien?

Trilogy is fine with me.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on whether the family will allow the rights to be released.  After Christopher Tolken dies (JRR's son) we will see if the family is

I think the Silmarillion would make a better mini-series on HBO like "Rome" than a movie.  Too much stuff to cover.  I think it would be great though.

Definitely.  The Tolkien Estate could stand to make hundreds of millions in licensing if they agreed to release them.  The Silmarillion would be well suited to a mini-series format, IMO, though it would take a talented wrtiter to turn the Silmarillion into a filmable script.  It's written kind of like the Bible.... the language is very epic, and dialogue quite high.  It would take some effort to turn it into a narrative format that modern audiences would be comfortable with.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Too bad, there are many separate parts of the Silmarillion that would make excellent stand alone movies.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I liked the Hobbit a lot more than the trilogy, and I think this could be done exceptionally well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I liked the three movies because of their faithful adherence to the trilogy, but milking The Hobbit into three movies is just retarded and greedy.    

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Hopefully the Battle of Five Armies will be fleshed out well...........

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure there is, if you include material in that era covered in the LOTR Appendicies.  There the whole Dol Guldur incidient not dealt with in the book proper, and lots and lots of other stories, such as Aragorn's adeventures as Thorngil in Gondor and Rohan.  Heck, you could probably 10 movies form all the stuff they have access to.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#28]
The Hobbit? Might not be too bad.

Call me when somebody does a good version of  The Silmarillion though, because that would be better than any other LOTR movie.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with the Appendix stuff is that it's mostly metahistory, text inside text that isn't part of the actual storyline. The possible plots there are enticing, I admit, but they require inventive screenwriting. The end result, I fear, would not be a movie based on the Hobbit but a movie inspired by the Hobbit. Having said that, if anyone can pull off that feat it's Peter Jackson.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it made you hundreds of millions, you'd be all over it too!  

I bet this trilogy makes MEGABUCK$$$$$!!!!!!

More power to him. None of those bucks will be mine
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There were rumors, seeing as how on the back of my book it says "soon to be a major motion picture" lol.

dunno if itll ever happen

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely.  The Tolkien Estate could stand to make hundreds of millions in licensing if they agreed to release them.  The Silmarillion would be well suited to a mini-series format, IMO, though it would take a talented wrtiter to turn the Silmarillion into a filmable script.  It's written kind of like the Bible.... the language is very epic, and dialogue quite high.  It would take some effort to turn it into a narrative format that modern audiences would be comfortable with.

They could also use Unfinished tales to some extent if that is ever released.  It adds more detail to parts of the Silmarillion and the appendixes inthe LOTR

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I liked the three movies because of their faithful adherence to the trilogy...

Yeah, that whole Arwen thing was right on the money.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Way back when this was first talked about, there was a discussion about including important snippets of The Silmarillion into it, to help flesh out the story of the rings of power.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That's good!  It means he will not have to cut out a bunch of good scenes to satisfy the "I hate long movies" people like he did on LOTR.

The last movie could have easily lost twenty minutes at the end.  It amazed me that they cut Christopher Lee's death scene but left that stuff in.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I will watch all of these and then buy them and watch them again.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I wonder if they are going to get the whole back story in there...You know, the part where Gandolf pretty much planned the entire "war of the ring".
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!! Lets hope they don't re-write The Hobbit with these new movies. I suspect time lines will be changed from the book, characters meeting that shouldn't have and so forth. Frodo should not even be in the The Hobbit if my memory serves me correct, but I bet he will be.

That being said...I can't wait to see them!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!! Lets hope they don't re-write The Hobbit with these new movies. I suspect time lines will be changed from the book, characters meeting that shouldn't have and so forth. Frodo should not even be in the The Hobbit if my memory serves me correct, but I bet he will be.

My understanding is that Frodo will be in the hobbit reading the story of there and back again when Bilbo is in his older years before events in the LOTR.  Not necessarily being involved in the actual story of what Bilbo did but finding out what happened.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what happened to Tom Bombadil?

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I came in here to post!!

They need to incorporate Tom Bombadil into the movie.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#43]
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Tom_Bombadil

Peter Jackson justified his omission of Bombadil by pointing out that he did little to advance the story, having nothing to do with the Ring storyline, and serving little purpose when it came to getting the hobbits to Rivendell, and putting together the Fellowship.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think there is MORE than enough material in the Hobbit for a trilogy. If you read all three of the lotr's books you would know that important characters and events where cut from the movie (Tom Bombadil).

By making this a 3 part movie I think we will see a film that can more closely follow the book, which is better for everybody. It's just going to suck having to wait for the 3rd film to see Smaug.

Yeah I'm a Tolkien nerd.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Awesome!! Can't wait...

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Silmarillion has the problem of covering something like 10,000 years.  I'm not sure you could make an interesting TV show out of it, either.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't care what they do so long as there is no Tom Bombodil in any of them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tom Bombadil could come or go; he didn't have any relevance to the overall plot, but omitting the scouring of the shire pretty much relegated the role of the Hobbits to comic relief and the "walking everywhere not doing anything" criticism is an apt description.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

UNCLEAN HERETIC

I'm going to go read the entire works of Tolkien now.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top