Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2012 4:56:45 AM EDT
I'm involved in a "discussion" on the statistics of innocent bystander injuries in a self defense scenario.

He maintains that more bystanders would be injured if armed citizens defended themselves. While I know this is not the case, I am looking for any sort of statistical analysis that bears out my argument. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 4:58:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm involved in a "discussion" on the statistics of innocent bystander injuries in a self defense scenario.

He maintains that more bystanders would be injured if armed citizens defended themselves. While I know this is not the case, I am looking for any sort of statistical analysis that bears out my argument. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

How do you " know" that that would not be the case?

if you have an increase in number of uses of force, there will always be an increase in errors that go along with that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you have an increase in number of uses of force, there will always be an increase in errors that go along with that.

Ask your friend how many people win fights that refuse to fight back.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily. Numerically speaking, when there is an increase in force on the part of the defender the result is often a resultant decrease in force from the agressor.

Moreover, there are hundreds and hundreds of cases every year that involve people using firearms to defend themselves and their families, with no casulaties save the criminal antagonist. These are the statistics I am looking for.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless a incent bystanders gets hurt there is no report on it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:12:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Google Dr. Gary Kleck.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not necessarily. Numerically speaking, when there is an increase in force on the part of the defender the result is often a resultant decrease in force from the agressor.

Moreover, there are hundreds and hundreds of cases every year that involve people using firearms to defend themselves and their families, with no casulaties save the criminal antagonist. These are the statistics I am looking for.

The more rounds that get fired in more incidents, the greater the liklihood that some of those rounds will not go where they were intended.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Most attacks happen when there are no bystanders
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more rounds that get fired in more incidents, the greater the liklihood that some of those rounds will not go where they were intended.

While that may be true, the assumption that people defending themselves results in more rounds fired has no basis in fact.
If you have someone that intended to fire 200 rounds, and someone else pops him twice in the head before he can reload after emptying a mag, the total round count goes way down.
Thats why its called stopping the threat.

Nick

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

While that may be true, the assumption that people defending themselves results in more rounds fired has no basis in fact.
If you have someone that intended to fire 200 rounds, and someone else pops him twice in the head before he can reload after emptying a mag, the total round count goes way down.
Thats why its called stopping the threat.

Thats not whats being discussed, though, from what I gather of the OP.

No doubt if a bad guy gets shot two rounds into a particular incident where he might have otherwise have fired 200 rounds, it would result in fewer victims dying.

I believe the thread is simply about innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire. I know its a fine distinction, but it is a different topic
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Given the vast majority of encounters between armed citizens and perpetrators result in ZERO shots fired (per John Lott); given that armed citizens do not do mag dumps when they do fire at perpetrators; given the very low number of incidents where an armed citizen has been convicted of manslaughter of bystanders - or found civilly liable - your quite-logical statement is factually unproven.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#11]
tell your opponent that there are no innocent bystanders when some kook decides to take on the world.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Given the vast majority of encounters between armed citizens and perpetrators result in ZERO shots fired (per John Lott); given that armed citizens do not do mag dumps when they do fire at perpetrators; given the very low number of incidents where an armed citizen has been convicted of manslaughter of bystanders - or found civilly liable - your quite-logical statement is factually unproven.  

Right, the vast majority of SD incident involve no rounds fired.
The larger your sample group is though, obviously the number of exceptions to that rule will be larger. Therefore increasing the potential of innocent people being shot
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He maintains that more bystanders would be injured if armed citizens defended themselves.

That would depend on the situation and how "good" the armed citizen(s) were.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#14]
No bystanders hurt in this SD shooting but do take noticed at how fucking retarded they act.

If the bad guys were returning fire the bystanders would have only themselves to blame for getting hit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Try not to get noticed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You probably won't find any. More guns might mean more bystanders being hit and it might not. Every situation is different. The possibilities are endless.

I'm not worried about bystanders in a shootout, I'm concerned more about the shooter.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Armed society = Fewer incedents requireing the use of force.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

False logic.

Shooter shoots 60 rounds, uncontested. High probability of hit ratio.

Shooter starts to shoot and is met with resistence. Say total number of 10-20 rounds fired, under adverse conditions. Lower likelyhood of high hit ratio for shooter AND lower number of rounds fired.

It's ALWAYS better fo meet force with force.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

False logic.

Shooter starts to shoot and is met with resistence. Say total number of 10-20 rounds fired, under adverse conditions. Lower likelyhood of high hit ratio for shooter AND lower number of rounds fired.

Once again, thats not whats being discussed
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He made the claim, let him go on a fool's errand trying to support it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#21]
The victim is an innocent bystander. The implicit philosophy behind the objection raised is that the victim is somehow morally inferior to whomever the criminal did not target and it is okay if they are injured.

Perhaps I could better phrase it as the objection implicitly treats the defending victim as a voluntary combatant instead of treating them as an innocent person.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I think the correct answer for your friend, is that since there are millions of CCW holders out there, and thousands of defensive uses: "Go find me one incident where an innocent bystander was caught in the crossfire and get back to me."

If he finds one give 100 news stories where they weren't.  Easy enough if you're an NRA member.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read "More Guns, Less Crime". By Gary Kleck. He lays it out fairly well
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I think the correct answer for your friend, is that since there are millions of CCW holders out there, and thousands of defensive uses: "Go find me one incident where an innocent bystander was caught in the crossfire and get back to me."

If he finds one give 100 news stories where they weren't. Easy enough if you're an NRA member.

There was one posted here a few months ago.

Robbers went into a store, locked the doors, and held the place up. One of the victims draws down, a shoot out occurs and I think it was a store clerk that got caught in the cross fire.

But, when doors get locked bad things are going to happen. The clerk and everyone else in that store were probably going to die anyways if no one were carrying.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

False logic.

Once again, thats not whats being discussed

He maintains that more bystanders would be injured if armed citizens defended themselves––––––––This was the original hypothesis.

I'm saying that if an armed citizen defends themselves it reduces the likelyhood of a bystander getting shot because it stops the aimed, targeted threat against that "bystander" sooner.

You're assuming that a defender engaging the shooter increases rounds fired. That's not necessarily ( I would go so far as to say, likely) not true. Especially, if you're talking about a shooter intent and equiped to fire dozens or hundreds of rounds.

Your statement would only hold true if the shooter was only targeting the defender, with a modest capacity firearm and the defender was a poor shot. (Which, statistics show that civilians have a higher hit ratio than LEOs, realizing that there are some mitigating factors in that stat).

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You're assuming that a defender engaging the shooter increases rounds fired. That's not necessarily ( I would go so far as to say, likely) not true. Especially, if you're talking about a shooter intent and equiped to fire dozens or hundreds of rounds.

I took the topic to be about rounds fired by defenders only.
You and others want to talk about rounds that were prevented being fired by the bad guy.

I understand where you guys are coming from and I agree with you, but as I keep saying, I don't think that falls within the scope of the question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top