Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2012 8:13:05 PM EDT

A mostly brown spider about the size of a quarter, that has two white dots on its belly ...

Anyone know ?

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
dead?
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

dead?

Not yet.

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can see that much detail past the flames, it's not on fire enough.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The web that it has made is amazing ...

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds a bit like a wolf spider but I don't know about the spots.

If it's one of them, they're actually pretty good to have around.  Catch it and toss it outside.

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, not a wolf spider-they don't make webs.  Sounds more like a brown recluse.  Leave it alone if it's out of the way; otherwise kill it or otherwise get it gone.

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sounds a bit like a wolf spider but I don't know about the spots.

If it's one of them, they're actually pretty good to have around.  Catch it and toss it outside.

It's already outside.

As long as it's not a recluse or a widow, I think I'll just let him be.

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, not a wolf spider-they don't make webs.  Sounds more like a brown recluse.  Leave it alone if it's out of the way; otherwise kill it or otherwise get it gone.

hmmm ...

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]
See if it's an Orb Weaver.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That may well be it ... thanks.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winn, it's not a brown recluse.  They spin very little web, and it's random and not pretty at all.

I live with an infestation of them, so it's familiar.

If it's web is a circle, it is an orb web spider. They have a lot of different marking patterns, but they are often mostly brown.  They can get big too.  

No color or markings on its back at all?  Head or anything?

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winn, it's not a brown recluse.  They spin very little web, and it's random and not pretty at all.

If it's web is a circle, it is an orb web spider. They have a lot of different marking patterns, but they are often mostly brown.  They can get big too.  

He's gone now (and I'm 99% certain it was an orb web spider).  Apparently, if it doesn't catch much in it's web, it actually consumes the web and then builds a new one the next day.  Amazing.  We did some reading, and they really are amazing.

Not only that, but our girls loved the observation experience.  Dark night, a big web, flashlight - the whole thing.

Anyway, we're familiar with infestations too - not here, but another place where we used to live ... but that's another story.

Bottom line is this (and I was literally thinking this last night), you have no idea how much I would enjoy being neighbors with you and being able to visit out in the yard.

Thanks for your reply.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's gone now (and I'm 99% certain it was an orb web spider).  Apparently, if it doesn't catch much in it's web, it actually consumes the web and then builds a new one the next day.  Amazing.  We did some reading, and they really are amazing.

Not only that, but my girls loved the observation experience.

Anyway, we're familiar with infestations too - not here, but another place where we used to live ... but that's another story.

Bottom line is this (and I was literally thinking this last night) ... you have no idea how much I would enjoy being neighbors with you and being able to visit out in the yard.

Thanks for your reply.

Y'all come over this way sometime.  I don't have a guest room, though you are welcome to the air mattress in the living room, but  I have a big yard and a fire pit near the fence that overlooks the pond where bats catch mosquitoes and lightning bugs compete with the stars in the summer.    I have two tents, and good beer and wine.

Mammoth Cave is one of the wonders of the world yaknow....
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
dead?

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that, but my girls loved the observation experience.

Bottom line is this (and I was literally thinking this last night) ... you have no idea how much I would enjoy being neighbors with you and being able to visit out in the yard.

Thanks for your reply.

Y'all come over this way sometime.  I don't have a guest room, though you are welcome to the air mattress in the living room, but  I have a big yard and a fire pit near the fence that overlooks the pond where bats catch mosquitoes and lightning bugs compete with the stars in the summer.    I have two tents, and good beer and wine.

Mammoth Cave is one of the wonders of the world yaknow...

Would love it.  That's a deal ...

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
dead?

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#17]
The name of that song is Murder Train and there's a really cute puppy in it.

Nothing better happen to that puppy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top